Dan Duquette, Thinking Outside the Box

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Dan Duquette, Thinking Outside the Box

This from MLB.com:

"The Orioles announced plans on Wednesday night to select the contract of Manny Machado, the No. 3 prospect in baseball, according to MLB.com, from Double-A Bowie prior to Thursday's game, a move that bolsters Baltimore's infield and supports the organization's stance that it is committed to winning in 2012."

This is what I was talking about with Bogaerts. This type of call up used to be fairly common in the old days, before GMs worried about damaged psyches.
    It could shake things up, on a moribund team.

In the O's case, they're looking at making a serious Wild Card run.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Dan Duquette, Thinking Outside the Box

I have been saying for a few years that Baltimore would be scary if they ever got any pitching.

They always had a good lineup on the field. But their pitching has always stunk.

They hired a great manager.

Brought in a smart General Manger.

They started getting some better pitching.

They aren't quite "scary" yet. But, they are headed in a different direction than what they used to be. They are headed up.

The Red Sox are headed down.

It is time to stop ignoring the model of the Rays, Orioles, and Blue Jays. Youth and energy  equals success. High contracts and lazy veterans equals disaster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Zilla, I really think that if Sox fans were told by the FO, that they were going with youth, there wouldn't be the hue and cry some people feel would happen.
    I'd rather watch guys like Middlebrooks, Stanton, Trout or Rizzo, than some overpaid fat cats.
    Maybe these guys will someday become overpaid fat cats, too.
    Yet, it's fun to watch them get there.
    Take a chance on some kids like Bogaerts, Bradley and Brentz. Bring up a couple of young pitchers.
    Sure, they'll take their knocks, but they'll also learn what the bigs is all about.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Dan Duquette, a local guy, is on the wrong team.  We need to fire LL and make Dan Duquette an offer he cant refuse.

Dan Duquette has been thinking outside the box for years.  Letting him go (over Roger Clemens!!) was a mistake.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dan built a solid foundation for Theo & Company, but we'll never know if he would have obtained Ortiz, Schilling, Millar, Roberts, Cabrera, and many more up to 2004 and 2007.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Dan Duquette, Thinking Outside the Box:
    [QUOTE]Dan is the GM. I agree, get rid of Cherry, an InEpstein acolyte. 
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]Actually Duquette hired Cherington, but don't let facts get in the way of your Theo bashing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I remember reading a comment made by an anonymous MLB general manager. This was about 8 to 10 years ago.

The comment was "It's a young man's game."

I'm thinking this GM was not Epstein or Cashman.

Since then many teams who have signed veterans to long term contracts or long term extentions have been burned. However the odd circumstance where a team with high priced veterans actually wins the championship does still occur. But the small market teams with youth are indeed closing the gap. 

There is no excitement in watching the team with the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll self-destruct. I would find more suspense and excitement watching a team of mostly young unproven kids give the established teams a run for their money. Now, with the extra wild card team, the possibilities for a team such as this are more promising. It favors small market teams.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Actually Duquette hired Cherington, but don't let facts get in the way of your Theo bashing acolyte is derived from the Greek word acolytos , meaning attendant or helper. Cherry came from the Indians and spent most of his front office career as a flunkie for InEpstein.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Duquette hired Cherington.  What are you arguing about?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Facts are facts and you got schooled.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]I remember reading a comment made by an anonymous MLB general manager. This was about 8 to 10 years ago. The comment was "It's a young man's game." I'm thinking this GM was not Epstein or Cashman. Since then many teams who have signed veterans to long term contracts or long term extentions have been burned. However the odd circumstance where a team with high priced veterans actually wins the championship does still occur. But the small market teams with youth are indeed closing the gap.  There is no excitement in watching the team with the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll self-destruct. I would find more suspense and excitement watching a team of mostly young unproven kids give the established teams a run for their money. Now, with the extra wild card team, the possibilities for a team such as this are more promising. It favors small market teams.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Ortiz, Manny, Beckett, Schilling, Lowell--just a few of the too old to play MLB guys the Sox hired from elsewhere.  Not much doubt in my mind the Sox don't with either WS, 2004 or 2007, without those guys. 

I am not saying there have been some bad signings, so go ahead and gripe about them.  You can even say one of the smartest things the Sox did was get rid of Garciaparra, a veteran past his prime, but don't forget that Garciaparra insisted on being traded because he wanted out (stupidly). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]Dan is the GM. I agree, get rid of Cherry, an InEpstein acolyte. 
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

And how long before posters say Dan SUCKS.........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dan Duquette, Thinking Outside the Box : Ortiz, Manny, Beckett, Schilling, Lowell--just a few of the too old to play MLB guys the Sox hired from elsewhere.  Not much doubt in my mind the Sox don't with either WS, 2004 or 2007, without those guys.  I am not saying there have been some bad signings, so go ahead and gripe about them.  You can even say one of the smartest things the Sox did was get rid of Garciaparra, a veteran past his prime, but don't forget that Garciaparra insisted on being traded because he wanted out (stupidly). 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

What fiction did you read about Nomar, He NEVER WANTED OUT...the trade shocked him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dan Duquette, Thinking Outside the Box : What fiction did you read about Nomar, He NEVER WANTED OUT...the trade shocked him.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Conversely, the Red Sox certainly didn't plan on trading Nomar heading into the 2004 season.  It was his ankle injury, and his impaired mobility in the field when he returned from the injury, that set all the wheels in motion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dan Duquette, Thinking Outside the Box : Conversely, the Red Sox certainly didn't plan on trading Nomar heading into the 2004 season.  It was his ankle injury, and his impaired mobility in the field when he returned from the injury, that set all the wheels in motion.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]That, and he wouldn't take a 60 million dollar contract.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

carnie, if you ever knew why he didn't take it, you'd understand.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]carnie, if you ever knew why he didn't take it, you'd understand.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]I'm not bashing Nomar, I loved the guy. But if he had signed that deal I seriously doubt if the big trade would have ever happened.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Theo was a dimwit. Boy wonder. He was a total failure as a GM and vastly overrated. I was wrong to ever defend him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Theo was a dimwit. Boy wonder. He was a total failure as a GM and vastly overrated. I was wrong to ever defend him.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]This routine's pretty funny. You should keep it going.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dan Duquette, Thinking Outside the Box : This routine's pretty funny. You should keep it going.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I'm being sincere. Just look at his record in recent years. It speaks for itself. Failure after failure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Dan Duquette, a local guy, is on the wrong team.  We need to fire LL and make Dan Duquette an offer he cant refuse. Dan Duquette has been thinking outside the box for years.  Letting him go (over Roger Clemens!!) was a mistake.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]What he said.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dan Duquette, Thinking Outside the Box : What fiction did you read about Nomar, He NEVER WANTED OUT...the trade shocked him.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Ok danny, someone is shelling fiction in an attempt to change history...NOMAR DEFINITELY WANTED OUT...he quit on his team in NY as he just couldn't get over his feelings being hurt because the Sox tried to replace him at SS with, at the time, was the best player in the game.

The quitting whiner feigned injury on his final days in Boston...forcing Theo to do something or lose the team in the 2nd half...funny that he went to Chicago and played everyday...miraculously healthy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Pardon the interruption on the topic going off in space.The kid was switched to 3rd base, from his usual SS.
    He went2-4 in his debut.