Daniel Nava Is Getting a Raw Deal because the Red Sox are Winning in Spite of HIs Lack of Production

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Daniel Nava Is Getting a Raw Deal because the Red Sox are Winning in Spite of HIs Lack of Production

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

a good power hitter averages a HR every 5-6 games.  How many HR's win a game????

[/QUOTE]

HR's accounted for 10 of our 19 runs in the ALCS.  I would say they won 3 of the 4 games.  

[/QUOTE]

that will have nothing to do with the next 4-7 games.  small sample size...independent events. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

Re: Daniel Nava Is Getting a Raw Deal because the Red Sox are Winning in Spite of HIs Lack of Production

All of "moonslavs" posts are right on in justifying why Nava should be playing versus right handed pitchers and not Gomes, so I say...........

PLAY NAVA!!!!!!!

and thanks "moonslav" for your statistical rationale on this matter.

GO SOX!................Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I don't see it being a game, or series decider, either way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

that will have nothing to do with the next 4-7 games.  small sample size...independent events. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm just trying to think along with the manager, really.  Farrell and the rest of management obviously have all the data and have decided that Gomes is more of an asset right now than Nava.

Personally I would like to see Nava get a few starts in the WS myself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm just trying to think along with the manager, really.  Farrell and the rest of management obviously have all the data and have decided that Gomes is more of an asset right now than Nava.

[/QUOTE]

I know I understand I do the same thing sometimes where I try to understand the decisions and not really take a position either way. I thought I heard somewhere that Gomes has better numbers vs. power pitchers than Nava does...but what I wonder is what effect that has on their lefty righty splits as well.  So Gomes hits power pitchers better than Nava....but does that mean he would hit a power righty better than Nava would? I'm not really sure and who knows what angle Farrell is looking at it from, but it just doesn't seem right when Nava has hit RHP so well, and all year up to this point and now they want to change the equation...the same equation that got us here. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to lucbom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All of "moonslavs" posts are right on in justifying why Nava should be playing versus right handed pitchers and not Gomes, so I say...........

PLAY NAVA!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Statistics reflect what happens on the field. I know they can be manipulted to make almost any case look better, but the fact is Farrell himself thought Nava was the better choice vs RHPs nearly all season long. Nava was red hot the last week of the season and has had a .429 OBP in both series this playoffs.

Another way to look at it is like this: if Gomes is the better choice now, why wasn't he all season long?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't see it being a game, or series decider, either way.

[/QUOTE]

Nava was top 7 in OBP vs RHPs. Benching him vs righties could be a big difference maker, especially when the guy taking his place put up a .188 OBP in his place.

(Small sample size, yes, but any larger sample size shows a huge differential vs righties as well.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

a good power hitter averages a HR every 5-6 games.  How many HR's win a game????

[/QUOTE]

HR's accounted for 10 of our 19 runs in the ALCS.  I would say they won 3 of the 4 games.  

[/QUOTE]

The guys who got on base for the grannys had a lot to do with the wins as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to lucbom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

PLAY NAVA!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Statistics reflect what happens on the field. I know they can be manipulted to make almost any case look better, but the fact is Farrell himself thought Nava was the better choice vs RHPs nearly all season long. Nava was red hot the last week of the season and has had a .429 OBP in both series this playoffs.

Another way to look at it is like this: if Gomes is the better choice now, why wasn't he all season long?

[/QUOTE]

Farrell on WEEI: "When we get to St Louis, with that big outfield, NAVA will be out there"

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to corpsemanwithpencilhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's not kneejerk. If Nava had a big FA contract that managment was hoping to get draft compensation out of, Nava, too, could start with a .050 BA. 

[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah...a 1 year 9 million dollar deal is such a "big FA contract" 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Gomes' contract is about 22x greater than Nava's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to corpsemanwithpencilhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes, it's quote large. Not massive, but quite large. Compare Nava. 

[/QUOTE]

most FA contracts look quote large when you compare them with a cost controlled player who has yet to reach free agency....heck a ton of relief pitchers make more money than Nava. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's that simple, isn't it?  Everyone with a heart loves Nava, but the mgmt is paid to win which they are doing to date.  Maybe they know something we don't know ("That's unpossible"!), but one can hardly argue with the results so far.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Only clowns think players start in the WS based on contract cost in their final year of the deal.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Having a .300 hitter riding the bench is a nice problem to have. Twenty-eight other teams are out playing golf.

[/QUOTE]

Not nice when a .188 hitter is taking his place.

More from fangraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/daniel-nava-jonny-gomes-and-throwing-out-the-platoon/

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Farrell's thinking seems like he thinks of Gomes as some kind of good luck charm. Pure baseball logic would say that Nava should be playing against right handers. Logic should normally trump gut feelings. I would go with the percentages and play Nava.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

moon - There's no reason to change. The Red Sox won 8-1 and Gomes contributed heavily in that victory with his 0-4 night. Nava can't hit anyway, as he pinch hit in the 8th, doubled and scored. His at bat and run was meaningless because the game was in hand at 7-0. Johnny Gomes was there in the key part of the game when the Red Sox took a 7-0 lead.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Even if it's the right or wrong decision, that doesn't mean that it will effect the outcome of the game.  It also doesn't mean that the wrong guy won't get hits or the right guy will strike out 4 times.  It's like counting cards, there's still a high standard deviation and you need to come with a big purse and expect to go through some losing periods.  But you know that if you put the odds in your favor over the long run you end up in a better position....100% of the time.

The decision had zero impact last night. That doesn't mean it won't have an impact at some point during the series.  

We also have to understand there is no way to quantify what type of impact it would have had, but because we can't go back and simulate last nights game with Nava playing over Gomes....we really have ZERO idea.  For one game it could be the better choice to start Gomes over Nava.

But logic, and baseball know-how suggest that against RHP Nava should be the starter; from and offensive and a defensive stand point. 

FWIW.....that was the formula that got us here.

I repeat...that was the formula that got us here. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

moon - There's no reason to change. The Red Sox won 8-1 and Gomes contributed heavily in that victory with his 0-4 night. Nava can't hit anyway, as he pinch hit in the 8th, doubled and scored. His at bat and run was meaningless because the game was in hand at 7-0. Johnny Gomes was there in the key part of the game when the Red Sox took a 7-0 lead.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much sums up the wrong position very well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Yeah, I just hate it when the Sox screw up like this....