Daniel Nava Is Getting a Raw Deal because the Red Sox are Winning in Spite of HIs Lack of Production

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Daniel Nava Is Getting a Raw Deal because the Red Sox are Winning in Spite of HIs Lack of Production

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Got a news flash for you, ADG.

Life isn't fair.

[/QUOTE]

That's his point: life hasn't been fair to Nava.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Daniel Nava Is Getting a Raw Deal because the Red Sox are Winning in Spite of HIs Lack of Production

I can understand why Gomes starts VS. LHP.......but Nava has been a great hitter against RHP.  As a matter of fact Davis, Fielder, Cabrera, Ortiz, Choo, Votto, Trout were the only qualifying players to have a higher OPS against RHP this year.

I may be missing a player on this list as I did this research 2 weeks ago, but It was a very formidable list. 

Fact is against RHP, Nava stacks up against the best of them.  So I for the life of me can't understand why he has sat in the playoffs vs. RHP

Is he hurt or something???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can understand why Gomes starts VS. LHP.......but Nava has been a great hitter against RHP.  As a matter of fact Davis, Fielder, Cabrera, Ortiz, Choo, Votto, Trout were the only qualifying players to have a higher OPS against RHP this year.

I may be missing a player on this list as I did this research 2 weeks ago, but It was a very formidable list. 

Fact is against RHP, Nava stacks up against the best of them.  So I for the life of me can't understand why he has sat in the playoffs vs. RHP

[/QUOTE]

Nava placed 17th out of 146 in OPS vs RHPs for 2013 at .894.

He placed 7th in OBP at .411.

From 2011-2013 with over 400+ PAs vs RHPs, Nava placed 10th out of 356 MLB players in OBP at .390 and 30th out of 317 MLB players with over 500 PAs in OPS at .860.

This guy can hit righties. Conversely, Gomes placed #215 out of 317 players with a .696 OPS vs RHPs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

From 2011-2013 with over 400+ PAs vs RHPs, Nava placed 10th out of 356 MLB players in OBP at .390 and 30th out of 317 MLB players with over 500 PAs in OPS at .860.

This guy can hit righties. Conversely, Gomes placed #215 out of 317 players with a .696 OPS vs RHPs.

[/QUOTE]

So there were 16 guys ahead of him...I must have been looking at a list that used a different minimum plate appearence. 

Regardless against RHP Nava is obviously one of the better hitters in the league.  His numbers are obviously down VS. LHP but have been a hair better this year.  He's a very good platoon player and would likely even start full time on a few teams.  Gomes complements him well, and if you were to take his splits after a slow start to the season he has pretty much smashed LHP.

But Nava is much better VS. RHP and although his defense isn't stellar it is noticably better than Gomes and he should be starting every game against righties this post season. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

It's hard to argue what has worked, but I agree that Nava should be playing.  He was a borderline all star the first half of the season and had better numbers, although in fewer at bats, the second half.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Guys (and gals) - This isn't a negative thread. I'm basing my facts on what Nava did all year, what he did against righties, what Gomes did against righties, and the value of Gomes off the bench if/when the Cardinals bring in Choate or Siegrist.

Yes, the Red Sox won with Gomes starting but don't be fooled by that. Maybe the Sox didn't score as many runs against Detroit because Nava wasn't playing.

Gomes in ALCS   3 for 16, 3 runs, 1 2B, 0 BB, 7 K's, .188 AVG, .188 OBP, .250 SLUG and .438 OPS.

Nava went 2 for 6 with a .762 OPS.

Nava helped get the team there and he deserves a start or two, or three.

moon and hugh understand.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to mountvernonclosed's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Could be worse, he could be a potted plant like Carp and Dempster.

[/QUOTE]

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

In this regard so far Farrell is playing the intangibles vs the stats.  Isn't one of the definition of "Intangibles" the sworn enemy Sabermetericians?   (j/k)

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I definitely prefer Nava in LF, especially against righties, which the Cardinals have in abundance.  But I also prefer Farrell as the manager.  So far, his lineups are winning against good teams, Rays and Tigers, when it counts. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to croc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Farrell is not going to change this lineup until it fails him.  Nava gets it and so does Middlebrooks.

In any event, the bench will at least see action in St Louis because of the always thrilling pitching moves

[/QUOTE]

The fact that in ST Louis we will be using Pinch Hitters is exactly why Nava should be starting those games.

While Nava is significantly better against RHP than Gomes, Gomes' splits are much more even than Nava....if you use Nava as a Pinch Hitter and have to leave him in the game he becomes a Liability late, if they then bring in a Lefty reliever in his next AB, where as if Gomes PH's and you need to leave him in the game, he is acceptable vs a RHP.

Nava's OPS Splits vs RHP/LHP .894/.647 while Gomes is .745/.795. The Nava discrepancy means if you pinch hit Nava vs a RHP(for anyone), he will have to be PH for if he comes up again and they bring in a lefty....with Gomes as a PH you can leave him in the Game....besides the obvious adavnatge vs the RHP starter for Nava...Gomes is much more valuable coming off the bench

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

All you have to do is look at the numbers.  Gomes has a mojo-per-games-started % of .875, which is practically unheard of.  Nava is not bad himself, sporting a gaudy .714.  But when you factor in Gome's Whopping 6.75 Psyche-Up-Teammates+ and his having gotten his teammates back/picked teammates up in all but 3 intangible opportunities, the choice really becomes clear.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

I definitely prefer Nava in LF, especially against righties, which the Cardinals have in abundance. 

Where do you prefer to use Carp, with the Tigers and Cardinals having righties in abundance?

[/QUOTE]

You know Carp got more at bats than Nava in the ALCS right? They both got about 2 games worth.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

4.  But when you factor in Gome's Whopping 6.75 Psyche-Up-Teammates+ and his having gotten his teammates back/picked teammates up in all but 3 intangible opportunities, the choice really becomes clear.

Nava's a little short on the intangibles. He doesn't "psyche" up his teammates like Gomes. Maybe using Tony Robbins in RF for Game 1 of the 2013 ALCS would have shorted the series. 

[/QUOTE]

Tony was already designated as bench coach for the ALCS.  That negated the possibility of him playing RF, but it was a necessary move to overcome the serious roster flaws and managerial incompetence.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So there were 16 guys ahead of him...I must have been looking at a list that used a different minimum plate appearence. 

No, everyone on the list ahead of him has more PAs.

I think you were looking at OBP not OPS.

Regardless against RHP Nava is obviously one of the better hitters in the league.  His numbers are obviously down VS. LHP but have been a hair better this year.  He's a very good platoon player and would likely even start full time on a few teams.  Gomes complements him well, and if you were to take his splits after a slow start to the season he has pretty much smashed LHP.

17th out of 146 is darn good. Benching a top 10 offensive threat vs RHPs does not make sense to me.

But Nava is much better VS. RHP and although his defense isn't stellar it is noticably better than Gomes and he should be starting every game against righties this post season. 

At least most of them!

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

4.  But when you factor in Gome's Whopping 6.75 Psyche-Up-Teammates+ and his having gotten his teammates back/picked teammates up in all but 3 intangible opportunities, the choice really becomes clear.

Nava's a little short on the intangibles. He doesn't "psyche" up his teammates like Gomes. Maybe using Tony Robbins in RF for Game 1 of the 2013 ALCS would have shorted the series. 

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nava's a little short on the intangibles. He doesn't "psyche" up his teammates like Gomes. 

Can't Gomes do that from the dugout?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Hoping to see far more of Nava this series, lot of righty starters for St. Louis, and Gomes is terrific off the bench.