Darn...Tigers signing Davis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Darn...Tigers signing Davis

Rajai Davis - OF - Blue Jays

FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Tigers are "close" to signing free agent outfielder Rajai Davis to a two-year contract.

Sportsnet.ca's Ben Nicholson-Smith reported late Monday that the Tigers were the frontrunner for Davis, who was expected to sign quickly. The 33-year-old batted .260/.312/.375 with six homers and 45 stolen bases in 2013 and would likely split playing time with Andy Dirks in left field. Adding Davis likely takes the Tigers out of the mix for Shin-Soo Choo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: Darn...Tigers signing Davis

So it looks like Choo to the rangers then. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Would have liked to see Ben pick him up.....not a centerpiece pick but he's good on the bases.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

Yeah....that would have been a good pickup.  Oh well......I hope Ben has something better up his sleeve then going with JBJ full time in center.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I sure hope the Sox are not done escept a UINF.  If they are the O will be certainly weaker.  Lost Drew, Ellsbury, and Salty, and replaced them with AJ, Bogarts, and JBJ.  Add in the Platoon in LF and WMB strugles and the O takes a step back.  Drew would be a stability upgrade(you know roughly what you are going to get as a minimum), but a Kemp type deal for an OF is really what is needed.  JBJ is a huge gamble.  When has he shown he belongs on the MLB squad, and spring training never counts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FL33178. Show FL33178's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I sure hope the Sox are not done escept a UINF.  If they are the O will be certainly weaker.  Lost Drew, Ellsbury, and Salty, and replaced them with AJ, Bogarts, and JBJ.  Add in the Platoon in LF and WMB strugles and the O takes a step back.  Drew would be a stability upgrade(you know roughly what you are going to get as a minimum), but a Kemp type deal for an OF is really what is needed.  JBJ is a huge gamble.  When has he shown he belongs on the MLB squad, and spring training never counts.

[/QUOTE]

Definitely need to add to the offense....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]Rajai Davis - OF - Blue Jays

FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Tigers are "close" to signing free agent outfielder Rajai Davis to a two-year contract.

Sportsnet.ca's Ben Nicholson-Smith reported late Monday that the Tigers were the frontrunner for Davis, who was expected to sign quickly. The 33-year-old batted .260/.312/.375 with six homers and 45 stolen bases in 2013 and would likely split playing time with Andy Dirks in left field. Adding Davis likely takes the Tigers out of the mix for Shin-Soo Choo.[/QUOTE]

WHY EVERYONE IS SO HIGH ON HIM?

he is just an average hitter with only 6 hrs.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah....that would have been a good pickup.  Oh well......I hope Ben has something better up his sleeve then going with JBJ full time in center.

[/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with JBJ in cf ?  Posters on here are only happy if players making millions are on the field. And what makes posters think that is the answer or fix to a great season ? Wrong !!! Every player has to start somewhere and it's not the size of thier wallet ,it's the size of thier heart to compete and willingness to impove and show people how wrong we are to judge them. Teams with a loaded  line-up fail every year. If we had a son trying to win a spot on the red soxt team should we hope that Ben has something better up his sleave....? Look how we judge last years players before the season started? We know it all don't we.......????????

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]Rajai Davis - OF - Blue Jays

Sportsnet.ca's Ben Nicholson-Smith reported late Monday that the Tigers were the frontrunner for Davis, who was expected to sign quickly. The 33-year-old batted .260/.312/.375 with six homers and 45 stolen bases in 2013 and would likely split playing time with Andy Dirks in left field. Adding Davis likely takes the Tigers out of the mix for Shin-Soo Choo.[/QUOTE]

Great news! This removes the possibility that this bum ends up on our roster. With a career OPS of .693 you could accurately say that he is in a career long slump.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with JBJ in cf ?  Posters on here are only happy if players making millions are on the field. And what makes posters think that is the answer or fix to a great season ? Wrong !!! Every player has to start somewhere and it's not the size of thier wallet ,it's the size of thier heart to compete and willingness to impove and show people how wrong we are to judge them. Teams with a loaded  line-up fail every year. If we had a son trying to win a spot on the red soxt team should we hope that Ben has something better up his sleave....? Look how we judge last years players before the season started? We know it all don't we.......????????

[/QUOTE]

I am all for bringing up a guy.  But not 3.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

same here..........what has JBJ shown us that gives us total confidence in him anchoring CF and replacing Ellsbury?.........if he fails , what is the backup plan?

He had a shot last year and faltered.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

same here..........what has JBJ shown us that gives us total confidence in him anchoring CF and replacing Ellsbury?.........if he fails , what is the backup plan?

[/QUOTE]

People need to stop using last year as a basis for having no confidence in JBJ.  He was rushed to the majors last year, even if you go by normal minor league promotions triple A was an aggressive assignment.  In 2012 he didn't even have a half a season worth of at-bats above single A ball....he effectively jumped from one year to the next starting in the Majors from SINGLE A.  There is every reason to assume he is only going to get better, because he is.

I would 100% agree that we need depth in the outfield and someone to play and help JBJ....but we need to have some confidence and patience in him as well.  His defense is ready, and he plays a defensive premium position.

It's not as if he's spent several years in the minors and had multiple long looks at the MLB level and faltered.

I think JBJ is going to be a pleasant surprise next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

People need to stop using last year as a basis for having no confidence in JBJ.  He was rushed to the majors last year, even if you go by normal minor league promotions triple A was an aggressive assignment.  In 2012 he didn't even have a half a season worth of at-bats above single A ball....he effectively jumped from one year to the next starting in the Majors from SINGLE A.  There is every reason to assume he is only going to get better, because he is.

I would 100% agree that we need depth in the outfield and someone to play and help JBJ....but we need to have some confidence and patience in him as well.  His defense is ready, and he plays a defensive premium position.

It's not as if he's spent several years in the minors and had multiple long looks at the MLB level and faltered.

[/QUOTE]

not against him CT..........but like you said depth is the concern........hearing alot of JBJ will be the CF and it will be great......not sold on that just yet. Give him the slot but have something decent to back him up.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not against him CT..........but like you said depth is the concern........hearing alot of JBJ will be the CF and it will be great......not sold on that just yet. Give him the slot but have something decent to back him up.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed....Just two points though.

Insurance shouldn't be going out and getting a starter, because you will pay for that in money and prospects.  You buy and trade for holes you have no depth, you get back up and insurance for an area you are plugging a top rookie into.

Any guy we could get that can help JBJ is not going to be the ideal player that many in here would want.....In other words if a guy isn't already a starter.....he's not going to put up starter numbers.

If we wanted a starter we should have resigned Jacoby Ellsbury if there was no faith in JBJ, otherwise a RHH who can hit lefties and add speed like Raja Davis would have been useful, but he's gone. 

There is no doubt that giving the keys over to JBJ is a risk, but to me it's the kind of risks an organization should take.  I'd feel much better with that kind of risk than trading for a Matt Kemp type, who is probably a corner outfielder at this point and may be in a serious decline (and will be grossly overpaid).  To me those are the kind of risks you pay dearly for, and for years.  If JBJ doesn't pan out this year, then it's a sting for one year and we can re-evaluate the position next year. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Insurance shouldn't be going out and getting a starter, because you will pay for that in money and prospects.  You buy and trade for holes you have no depth, you get back up and insurance for an area you are plugging a top rookie into.

Any guy we could get that can help JBJ is not going to be the ideal player that many in here would want.....In other words if a guy isn't already a starter.....he's not going to put up starter numbers.

If we wanted a starter we should have resigned Jacoby Ellsbury if there was no faith in JBJ, otherwise a RHH who can hit lefties and add speed like Raja Davis would have been useful, but he's gone. 

There is no doubt that giving the keys over to JBJ is a risk, but to me it's the kind of risks an organization should take.  I'd feel much better with that kind of risk than trading for a Matt Kemp type, who is probably a corner outfielder at this point and may be in a serious decline (and will be grossly overpaid).  To me those are the kind of risks you pay dearly for, and for years.  If JBJ doesn't pan out this year, then it's a sting for one year and we can re-evaluate the position next year. 

[/QUOTE]

Nice post Hugh.  I think this is spot on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hit the nail on the head, CT. I hear a lot of people saying Bradley might not be ready, so let's go get Choo or Beltran or Kemp (some of whom aren't even CF now, or shouldn't be)...when what is needed is a decent backup type guy.

It will be worth it to be patient through whatever growing pains JBJ experiences rather than making a panic move we'd be regretting very soon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll play along with this and others above.  We do not need a compliment, we need a starter.  JBJ, carp, nava, gomes...none of these guys are starters.  Nava is closest.  We have the compliment guys.  What we do not have is a starter.  Until JBJ has a solid full year+ in AAA or at least a half year of solid play as a fill in or compliment(300 ab's or so) at the MLB level then I have zero confidence of him being the startyer here.  He is simply not ready YET.  I have every confidence that he will be.  A choo or Kemp has proven they are starters.  Yes they are expensive and/or risky, but they have proven that their talent translates.  JBJ has no such track record.  Additionally, Boggie and WMB are also far from guarentees.  I am fine for 1 or maybe even 2 of these guys being counted on as starters, but 3 is simply poor planning.  They must not be done shopping yet or we are in for a long season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'll play along with this and others above.  We do not need a compliment, we need a starter.  JBJ, carp, nava, gomes...none of these guys are starters.  Nava is closest.  We have the compliment guys.  What we do not have is a starter.  Until JBJ has a solid full year+ in AAA or at least a half year of solid play as a fill in or compliment(300 ab's or so) at the MLB level then I have zero confidence of him being the startyer here.  He is simply not ready YET.  I have every confidence that he will be.  A choo or Kemp has proven they are starters.  Yes they are expensive and/or risky, but they have proven that their talent translates.  JBJ has no such track record.  Additionally, Boggie and WMB are also far from guarentees.  I am fine for 1 or maybe even 2 of these guys being counted on as starters, but 3 is simply poor planning.  They must not be done shopping yet or we are in for a long season.

[/QUOTE]

The thing is, if you really believe Bradley is a good bet to succeed, how can you justify taking on long-term contracts of Kemp or Choo?  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If the argument is you can't call a rookie a gurantee, then Bogaerts is as about as close a gurantee as you will ever get.

Nava, played like a starter last year.  So we shouldn't categorize him with Gomes and Carp.

JBJ is a risk, but like I've been saying you have to take that risk, we took that risk with Dustin Pedroia as we have with many other younger guys. 

building your team through FA is expensive, so unless you want to be the NY Yankees at some point you have to roll the dice with the youth.  I'm sick and tired of trading away prospects and seeing them thrive elsewhere, I'm also sick and tired of seeing other teams be patient with guys and taking there struggles for a year or two to have a cost controlled player locked up for at least another 4 years while we go out and pay 15-20 million for a starter.

and if there is ever a time to do that it's when you have a kid like JBJ.  Like I've said in here a thousand times, it's the sum of the whole team that matters.....JBJ will likely not match Ellsbury's production, but you saved 20 million a year so that money goes to plug up a hole.  Like we did in the bullpen, C, and at first base....positions were we had either zero prospects, or prospects who are much further away that JBJ is. 

Now if the tables were reversed and we had a GG caliber power hitting firstbaseman at triple a ready to take over and zero depth in the outfield, I'd say play the rookie at 1B and go out and sign Ellsbury/Granderson....but that is not the case.

These are the calculated risks that build a core team and create a winning environment for years to come.