David Ortiz should get a captain's jersey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

David Ortiz should get a captain's jersey

I'm just saying Big Papi has clearly turned into the leader of this team. And no one in history has ever deserved to be a captain of the Boston Red Sox than the big man. And it would clearly mean a lot to him, otherwise he wouldn't have brought it up to Edes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Re: David Ortiz should get a captain's jersey

I'll tell you why I think Ortiz went off. The story was leaked that he called a team meeting. The story reported that Ortiz "called out" the starting pitchers. This was right at the same time as the mountain out of a mole hill stories about Beckett and his off day. Stories which were so aggressive it looked like people wanted to run Beckett out of town. My understanding is Beckett was willing to pitch, or wanted to pitch, but the Sox (wisely I think) wanted him to skip a turn. This was after a game where Beckett had a very high pitch count, and at a time when the club needed to find a spot for Cook. The round of golf story was then blown up as if Beckett called in sick and was later found drunk at a bar at five in the morning. 
    Actually it's very possible Beckett was feeling fine and wanted to lightly test the strain to see if it was at all noticeable. 
    It looks like Ortiz wanted to address the implication he had called the meeting to call out Beckett, which is certainly how the article read to many people, and that's why Ortiz stood up for Beckett in his comments. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I don't like that for the last three years following my favorite sports team bears a close resemblance to following the social life of a pubescent girl. PLAY BALL!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Tired of the media b.s.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I don't care who becomes the captain, just leave the frikkin' "C" off the jersey. This isn't hockey. I liked Tek and for the  most part, he was probably a good captain -- maybe not at the end but for most of his tenure -- but he should have been embarrassed wearing the "C" on the jersey.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Two leaders. Ortiz and AGon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CAPITALIST_AVENGER. Show CAPITALIST_AVENGER's posts

that would be RESPECT!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: David Ortiz should get a captain's jersey:
    [QUOTE]Two leaders. Ortiz and AGon.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]That's true enough. You've gotta love Gonzo.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) We don't need a "C" on anyone's jersey.

2) A captain should run out ground balls to set an example.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

IMHO a captain if neccessary at all should be selected by the players, not the FO and the "C" on Varitek's uni was as stupid as the bricks.

David has his moments where he can be a little myopic (his whole rant about his leadership by recent example) but since he has come here he has always been part of the leadership structure of the RS teams he has been on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

[QUOTE]I don't like that for the last three years following my favorite sports team bears a close resemblance to following the social life of a pubescent girl. PLAY BALL!!!
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

I think you mean pre-pubescent

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

In Response to David Ortiz should get a captain's jersey:
    [QUOTE]I'm just saying Big Papi has clearly turned into the leader of this team. And no one in history has ever deserved to be a captain of the Boston Red Sox than the big man. And it would clearly mean a lot to him, otherwise he wouldn't have brought it up to Edes.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I don't see why baseball teams need Captains.  Football,, .. maybe, somebody for the ref to talk to regarding decisions on penalties. 

Make him the Captain and that will be his starting point for insisting that the RS resign him for next year.  Not that it wouldn't be a bad idea but he will expect a raise for the "value" he adds by being Captain.  And, he'd have a point.

Real leaders on teams neither need nor aspire to be the Captain.  I've played on enough teams that I can say that is true of all teams, in all sports.  For the most part it symbolism.  

Enjoy the production and leadership and leave the symbolism for Hollywood.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to David Ortiz should get a captain's jersey : I don't see why baseball teams need Captains.  Football,, .. maybe, somebody for the ref to talk to regarding decisions on penalties.  Make him the Captain and that will be his starting point for insisting that the RS resign him for next year.  Not that it wouldn't be a bad idea but he will expect a raise for the "value" he adds by being Captain.  And, he'd have a point. Real leaders on teams neither need nor aspire to be the Captain.  I've played on enough teams that I can say that is true of all teams, in all sports.  For the most part it symbolism.   Enjoy the production and leadership and leave the symbolism for Hollywood.
    Posted by heobrien[/QUOTE]My point is that he is the captain and that's the point he was making in his interview. He just wants Bobby to show him some love I think.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

http://youtu.be/iHINTOPNVvY

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

My view on Ortiz is simple.  You ever had a job where, however much you like it before, the stress finally gets to you, and there is no turning back?  You just will never be as happy there as you were, and maybe it is time to look forward instead of back.  I feel like, with the last 2 years, annd the crap that has gone on, Ortiz has simply reached that point.  It would not be that he doesn't like playing for the Sox, but maybe that stress is just constantly simmering RIGHT below the boiling point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

[QUOTE]I don't care who becomes the captain, just leave the frikkin' "C" off the jersey. This isn't hockey. I liked Tek and for the  most part, he was probably a good captain -- maybe not at the end but for most of his tenure -- but he should have been embarrassed wearing the "C" on the jersey.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]
     I agree wholeheartedly- if you need a "C" on your jersey for people to know you're the "captain", then you shouldn't be the  "captain"....Mike Sweeney of the Royals was the only other baseball "captain" to have the letter "c" sewed into his jersey....lame....besides, what makes you think a team really needs a "captain", anyway..??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

In Response to David Ortiz should get a captain's jersey:
    [QUOTE]I'm just saying Big Papi has clearly turned into the leader of this team. And no one in history has ever deserved to be a captain of the Boston Red Sox than the big man. And it would clearly mean a lot to him, otherwise he wouldn't have brought it up to Edes.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]I don't like that for the last three years following my favorite sports team bears a close resemblance to following the social life of a [pre]pubescent girl. PLAY BALL!!!
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

BEST. POST. EVER.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Of course David should have been named captain, and yes the "C" on the jersey means something. It's about showing someone respect whose earned it, and about recognizing the value of intrinsic leadership vs. contrived. I posted dozens of times in October, November, December that David should have been signed to a 2yr $22 deal, AND made captain as a sign of appreciation and respect. But alas, our rediculously immature ownership group was laying around in tears, and Cherington was GM in name only. Calls went unreturned, and now David has gone public yet again complaining about disrespect. He'll finish out his 1 yr $14.75 million deal and likely bring his potent stick to another team next season. I still can't believe we offered the man a 2yr deal for $18 million after last yr. The whole thing's been shockingly mishandled, and I wouldn't blame him for bolting to the Yanks and hoping to kick our butts next yr just for spite.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I hate to say it because this is a lightning -rod topic.

Ortiz is a fine player and he has perhaps another two years ahead of him.

Would you be overpaying or insulting him at $18 M for two years($9 M per); tough call. My opinion is if he can get $18 from the Sox for two years, sign immediately. 

Many talk about long term contracts for CC, Beckett, Lackey and  AGon with a variety of opinions mostly negative.

Perhaps the Yankees would pick him up--I doubt it as they have many aging players and players they want in the lineup but not in the field every  day.

The O's might as a draw and for his bat or the Jay's for the same reason.

As far as the "C"--a capt. in baseball doesn't need it. The Capt. of the Sox is Pedroia--the players know it--Ortiz is a very close second.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Oritz has always been the team leader, via performance and words. No chance that bigoted Boston will make Ortiz the team captain. None.