DE LA ROSA will be the ACE by 2014, the next PEDRO......

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: DE LA ROSA will be the ACE by 2014, the next PEDRO......

CC,

Don't know why you're in such a hurry to get rid of Lester. Except for last year he was a very solid pitcher. Every player has a bad season or two, even the best. It doesn't mean Lester will continue to be terrible so don't write him off so fast. He may never be the staff ace he was being touted as but he certainly could go back to being a consistent 15-16 game winner.

Too many fans on this board are way too impatient and love to get rid of players or write them off because of one bad season, a poor start, injuries, age, etc. If it were up to many Ortiz would have been gone long ago.

Hetch

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

i agree Rubby will be a good starter, but I would not dismiss lester.  if anything Lackey needs to be the next one gone.

By July

Lester

Buchholz

Doubront

De La Rosa

Dempster/Lackey/Webster

Maybe Lackey will pitch well enough to trade him away to the west coast.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

No pressure kid. We only expect you to be as good as one of the greatest pitchers in Red Sox history. Could we maybe save the Pedro comparisons until the kid has actually thrown a pitch for the Boston Red Sox?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

DAD & BILL-806 concur !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

No one is going to be "the next Pedro"...I feel privileged enough to have watched one Pedro pitch in a Red Sox uniform, and what he did can't be replicated.

I have high hopes for Rubby also, but let's not start piling on ridiculous expectations. That's as bad as saying Xander Bogaerts is going to be the next Willie Mays -- or that Ellsbury was the next Ted Williams. [And we wouldn't want Softy to have a vendetta against De La Rosa from Day One, would we? :) ]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

I also have high hopes for Ruby.  I also have advocated on another thread how I feel Lester is going to bounce back and do well too.    I feel that Buch has "the stuff" to be the ace and I also hear many good things about Barnes.

With all of these legit possibilities, I don't think you can be justified to say that Ruby will be the ace.

Now that he is fully recovered and feeling better than he has in a very long time I also expect good things from Lackley as well.  Not ace type of pitcher, but certainly not anyone we should try and get rid of.  Plus, Lackey has that type of personality to want to prove himself and show others how wrong they are.  Keep him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to sjddaj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I also have high hopes for Ruby.  I also have advocated on another thread how I feel Lester is going to bounce back and do well too.    I feel that Buch has "the stuff" to be the ace and I also hear many good things about Barnes.

With all of these legit possibilities, I don't think you can be justified to say that Ruby will be the ace.

Now that he is fully recovered and feeling better than he has in a very long time I also expect good things from Lackley as well.  Not ace type of pitcher, but certainly not anyone we should try and get rid of.  Plus, Lackey has that type of personality to want to prove himself and show others how wrong they are.  Keep him.

[/QUOTE]

Good post. I think we have all the pieces to have a very good pitching staff next year, and for the next several years - the issue is whether all of those guys will stay healthy and pitch up to their potential. The past couple of seasons we haven't had much luck with that. We shall see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Rubby de la Rosa is a nice young pitcher, but let's not go overboard.

De la Rosa was a Baseball America Top 100 prospect once, ranking 90th overall (and 46th among pitchers) entering his age 22 season in 2011. Red Sox prospect Anthony Ranaudo ranked No. 67 overall on that list:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/2011/2611328.html

That year de la Rosa made eight starts at Double A Chattanooga, posting a 2.92 ERA in 40 innings, averaging 5 innings per start, with an impressive K/9 of 11.7 and a concerning BB/9 of 4.3.

Later that season, the Dodgers called up de la Rosa, who posted an ERA of 3.71 in 60.2 innings with a K/9 of 8.9 and a BB/9 of 4.6.

Here is a link to a realistic assessment from SoxProspects via ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/23485/soxprospects-handicaps-trading-chips

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We are daydreaming and hoping for the best. That is what happens after a year like 2012. This kid has not accomplished anything to create such high expectations.  The Dodgers were apparently very willing to part with him.  Let's not get too excited yet.  Same with Webster.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We are daydreaming and hoping for the best. That is what happens after a year like 2012. This kid has not accomplished anything to create such high expectations.  The Dodgers were apparently very willing to part with him.  Let's not get too excited yet.  Same with Webster.

[/QUOTE]

Even if he is as advertised, I wouldn't expect this in 2014.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

I agree. I think he's there best pitcher by the end of this year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

CC,

Don't know why you're in such a hurry to get rid of Lester. Except for last year he was a very solid pitcher. Every player has a bad season or two, even the best. It doesn't mean Lester will continue to be terrible so don't write him off so fast. He may never be the staff ace he was being touted as but he certainly could go back to being a consistent 15-16 game winner.

Too many fans on this board are way too impatient and love to get rid of players or write them off because of one bad season, a poor start, injuries, age, etc. If it were up to many Ortiz would have been gone long ago.

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Lester has been extremely good, one bad year does not define a career. This is his year to move past or drive his career into the depths. I hope the intestinal fight is there to come back, work with Farrell and give positive dividends again. Considering his past health issues, we know this guy is a fighter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

In response to COMMIE-CONTRARIAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

take it to the bank! contrarian is almost right about this kind of stuff. throws 100 with nasty changeups with 3 distinct speeds (94, 88, 78).. learned it from the master pedro and has learned to control on both sides to both lefties and righties. its his strike out pitch! the kid has the make up you need. he wants to start. he sounds just like pedro circa 1997. also is 5'11 but much stronger looking and with filthier stuff at a comparable age and stage. next season if he stays healthy would be his strasburg transitional stage in terms of the innings (still coming back from tommy john). by mid-season, he's coming up and he's not going back down. will be the lights out 5th starter. wont pitch more that 130 innings or past most 6th innings. 2014, he'll be ready, proven and tested to start as the best pitcher on the staff as we wil be able to trade a lester or another for more chips as BC takes his "genius" bow!

[/QUOTE]

I saw the same in one Philip Hughes a few years ago, changing speeds on his fastball as well. Then in the 7th inning of a no hitter he was throwing against the Rangers, he pulled a hamstring....funny how that stuff can change a player....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No pressure kid. We only expect you to be as good as one of the greatest pitchers in Red Sox history. Could we maybe save the Pedro comparisons until the kid has actually thrown a pitch for the Boston Red Sox?

[/QUOTE]

And then wait for a few seasons, as Pedro didn't come until he had years of success in Montreal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rubby de la Rosa is a nice young pitcher, but let's not go overboard.

De la Rosa was a Baseball America Top 100 prospect once, ranking 90th overall (and 46th among pitchers) entering his age 22 season in 2011. Red Sox prospect Anthony Ranaudo ranked No. 67 overall on that list:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/2011/2611328.html

That year de la Rosa made eight starts at Double A Chattanooga, posting a 2.92 ERA in 40 innings, averaging 5 innings per start, with an impressive K/9 of 11.7 and a concerning BB/9 of 4.3.

Later that season, the Dodgers called up de la Rosa, who posted an ERA of 3.71 in 60.2 innings with a K/9 of 8.9 and a BB/9 of 4.6.

Here is a link to a realistic assessment from SoxProspects via ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/23485/soxprospects-handicaps-trading-chips

[/QUOTE]

C'mon Hill, you and your stupid numbers are ignoring the fact that de la Rosa is from the same country as Pedro Martinez and spent a little bit of time with Pedro's brother Ramon.  Those are the sort of things numbers will never tell you.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

You still have to have both the talent and the mentality.  Spending time with someone has nothing to do with that

I could spend 10years with them and still not be able to throw like they do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He needs to gain better control. If he can do that then the sky is the limit for this kid.