Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agone. Show agone's posts

Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable?

HOMERISM: isn't that something homer simpson would say that caught on with the public?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiley-beni-2817. Show smiley-beni-2817's posts

In Response to Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable?:
    [QUOTE]"having a bias toward your hometown team or toward the team for which you play/used to play." "The tendency of sports fans to advocate for their home teams to an unreasonable or irrational degree." The Internet did not have very many precise definitions of Homerism. What is yours? What degree of advocating for your team is "unreasonable" or "excessive"? Should Red Sox fans in a Red Sox forum be given more leeway than fans of other teams? Is posting a link to the Sports Illustrated issue which predicted  Boston to win the World Series considered homerism? Is posting the Las Vegas odds in March " Homerism "? Is parroting what thousands of articles during the winter said " The best off-season deals were made by the Red Sox" and "the Red Sox were prohibitive favorites" considered to be homerism ? Add your definitions and tell us what is in your opinion "Over-the-Top".
    Posted by pike[/QUOTE]

Is posting a link to the Sports Illustrated issue which predicted  Boston to win the World Series considered homerism?

A very good question for the hundred of pretending Sox fans
    on this Forum.

"I Shot the Sheriff
    "I Shot the Sheriff

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable? : Is posting a link to the Sports Illustrated issue which predicted  Boston to win the World Series considered  homerism? A very good question for the hundred of pretending Sox fans on this Forum. " I Shot the Sheriff "  " I Shot the Sheriff " 
    Posted by smiley-beni-2817[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

To root for your favorite team with such beliefs is an absolute right in the world of sports. I don't see there being any problems, especially on the internet when it comes to advocating 100% for your team and 100% against everyone else. But when you do make proclamations with such fervor, you must expect people to question your perspective of the game during any kind of civil and rational conversation that may be taking place. And if you are not taken seriously, well that is something that the fan must accept. But I doubt that a "Homer" really cares if anyone takes them seriously or not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]"having a bias toward your hometown team or toward the team for which you play/used to play." "The tendency of sports fans to advocate for their home teams to an unreasonable or irrational degree." The Internet did not have very many precise definitions of Homerism. What is yours? What degree of advocating for your team is "unreasonable" or "excessive"? Should Red Sox fans in a Red Sox forum be given more leeway than fans of other teams? Is posting a link to the Sports Illustrated issue which predicted  Boston to win the World Series considered homerism? Is posting the Las Vegas odds in March " Homerism "? Is parroting what thousands of articles during the winter said " The best off-season deals were made by the Red Sox" and "the Red Sox were prohibitive favorites" considered to be homerism ? Add your definitions and tell us what is in your opinion "Over-the-Top".
    Posted by pike[/QUOTE]

I can't believe that I'm saying this to pike, but really great topic.  Is homerism acceptable?  Yes and no.  It depends on the situation.  If you're at a bar or a sporting event, booing the ump/ref on a close call that went in another team's favor is not only acceptable, but expected (even if you know it was the right call). 

Homerism is not acceptable when having an analytical debate.  For example, if you were to ask the question is Cano better than Pedroia, it'd be intellectually dishonest to base your opinion based on your fan loyalty and bias.  Furthermore (and I call this the SPC1988 rule), it's also unacceptable when you refuse to see flaws in your own players despite mounds of evidence stating the contrary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]"having a bias toward your hometown team or toward the team for which you play/used to play." "The tendency of sports fans to advocate for their home teams to an unreasonable or irrational degree." The Internet did not have very many precise definitions of Homerism. What is yours? What degree of advocating for your team is "unreasonable" or "excessive"?(depends on what you said in relation to topic) Should Red Sox fans in a Red Sox forum be given more leeway than fans of other teams?(on this one i say, yeah, maybe...) Is posting a link to the Sports Illustrated issue which predicted  Boston to win the World Series considered homerism? imo,not really.it's not like you wrote the article) Is posting the Las Vegas odds in March " Homerism "?(were the odds a topic of discussion Is parroting what thousands of articles during the winter said " The best off-season deals were made by the Red Sox" and "the Red Sox were prohibitive favorites" considered to be homerism ?(it is if you continue to tout it after results prove otherwise) Add your definitions and tell us what is in your opinion "Over-the-Top".
    Posted by pike[/QUOTE]to me it's only irrational if you go out of your way to discredit someone else's team or players with patently false, misleading and posturous statements made under the guise of being"objective" while you're anything but...as far as excusable.... i guess some will excuse it, some won't...you know something though...some people admit to being homers, i don't think it means you can't still discuss... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Homerism IMO is part of the landscape with fans because after all fan is short for fanatic.

Where homerism is more troubling is in the media because many fans use that source as fact based. If a Celtics fan took Tommy Heinson seriously they would assume that Celtics have yet to commit a foul in the history of the franchise for instance.

Homerism can be mildly annoying in a forum like this when trying to engage in serious analysis of a baseball topic involving the RS or the NYY by example but who cares? There is always the ignore button.

Just my takes

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Root for your favorite teams and curse the opposition. Just don't tell me that Jon Lester is better than Phil Hughes. Because that is just blatant homerism to the nth degree. Tongue out

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Could Johnny Most survive on radio today?
    From Wikipedia:
    "Most rarely criticized the Celtics during gameplay. But he was not shy about criticizing other teams' players. For example, during the 1985 season, he nicknamed Magic Johnson "Crybaby Johnson" after Johnson successfully challenged a referee's call. He called Magic this negative nickname throughout the remainder of the 1980s, announcing lines like "Cry with the no-look pass!" and "Crybaby with the rebound!"[2] He also nicknamed Washington Bullets players Rick Mahorn and Jeff Ruland as "McFilthy" and "McNasty", interchanging the two at his whim and was very critical of the Detroit Pistons for their physical play during the late 1980s. He was especially tough on Bill Laimbeer, Dennis Rodman, Rick Mahorn, and Isiah Thomas, who he referred to as Little Lord Fauntleroy."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Root for your favorite teams and curse the opposition. Just don't tell me that Jon Lester is better than Phil Hughes. Because that is just blatant homerism to the nth degree.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Huh?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable? : I can't believe that I'm saying this to pike, but really great topic.  Is homerism acceptable?  Yes and no.  It depends on the situation.  If you're at a bar or a sporting event, booing the ump/ref on a close call that went in another team's favor is not only acceptable, but expected (even if you know it was the right call).  Homerism is not acceptable when having an analytical debate.  For example, if you were to ask the question is Cano better than Pedroia, it'd be intellectually dishonest to base your opinion based on your fan loyalty and bias.  Furthermore (and I call this the SPC1988 rule), it's also unacceptable when you refuse to see flaws in your own players despite mounds of evidence stating the contrary.
    Posted by redsoxfan791[/QUOTE]

Great name for the rule, you're a good poster 791.  The board needs more objective posters like yourself.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable? : Huh?
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Note the smirky smiley face.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable? : Note the smirky smiley face.

Jessey,that was a Cheap Trick!
    Wink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable? : Jessey,that was a Cheap Trick!
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I surrender!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

My definition of "homerism" is pretending that Wakefield isn't a complete waste of an active roster spot. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]My definition of "homerism" is pretending that Wakefield isn't a complete waste of an active roster spot. 
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Why does every topic have to revolve around Wake?  Christ!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable? : Why does every topic have to revolve around Wake?  Christ!
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]Because Lowell retired and most of the good Ellsbury material has been used for two years?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Definitions of Homerism, Is it excusable? : Because Lowell retired and most of the good Ellsbury material has been used for two years?
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

It just gets so old.  I get it.  He hates Wake.  The guy is on the team and that's just the way it is.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I find it funny how you people call me a homer.  I give credit where credit is due and you all know that.  Especially you Jessey.

Babe is the true homer on this forum.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

My Homerism:

Dunkin Donuts /> McDonalds
    Red Sox /> Yankees
    Clam Chowder /> French Onion
    Kim Jong Il /> Scott Boras 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Homerism is not acceptable when having an analytical debate.  For example, if you were to ask the question is Cano better than Pedroia, it'd be intellectually dishonest to base your opinion based on your fan loyalty and bias

I was going to say something similar.  You can root for your team and beleive in them despite the odds.  But once you get into a debate, there are facts and there are opinions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Why are you getting defensive with me SPC? I think most fans should be homers when it comes to rooting for their teams.

But this was a bit much:

Will the Sox have a SS controversy between 2 future All Stars in 2012? Lowrie vs. Iglesias

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]Why are you getting defensive with me SPC? I think most fans should be homers when it comes to rooting for their teams. But this was a bit much: www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a2e284c41-1e9e-4a4a-b67f-5c9a4d2dda83 " /> Will the Sox have a SS controversy between 2 future All Stars in 2012? Lowrie vs. Iglesias

Hey last I checked Lowrie is a few AB's away from qualifying as the MLB leader in batting average.  Escobar is off to a hot start and Jeter is picking up where he left off in 2010.  Just sayin...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Homerism is a matter of taste and character. How it's expresses reflects both of a given individual.

791 gave a good example of this. In fact, his reply to Pike shows much character, as Pike is heavily accused of stereotypical behavior.

Homerism can cloud vision. Just as whining can. But the connection between fan and team is one brothering patriotism. It's just that the "war" is more real to some more than others.