Derek Lowe retired today.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Derek Lowe retired today.

http://nesn.com/2013/07/derek-lowe-announces-retirement-is-officially-no-longer-going-to-play-the-game/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Derek Lowe retired today.

thanks for the memories DL.

2004 PO's you had quite a feat that i am not sure has been duplicated..

WP of the final game of all 3 series:  divisional, championship, world.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

thanks for the memories DL.

2004 PO's you had quite a feat that i am not sure has been duplicated..

WP of the final game of all 3 series:  divisional, championship, world.

that is right.  I do not mind having him to come back to pitch for the team down the stretch of the season.  But per people scouting him as well he pitched for like three to four teams this year.  Guess he got nothing left in him!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Or how about Derek Lowe striking out Long with the bases loaded in game 5 of the 2004 ALDS vs. the Oakland A's?    Cool

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

2004 ALCS, Game 7. Everything on the line at Yankee Stadium. The big night. As pressure filled as it ever could be. Derek Lowe on two days rest. Starting and pitching brilliantly. The rest is history, but the whole comeback , the whole great saga would have been for naught without DLowe in that game. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

2004 ALCS, Game 7. Everything on the line at Yankee Stadium. The big night. As pressure filled as it ever could be. Derek Lowe on two days rest. Starting and pitching brilliantly.rest is h The istory, but the whole comeback , the whole great saga would have been for naught without DLowe in that game. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

It's still unbelievable, almost 10 years later, isn't it? If that wasn't the thrill of victory, after the 2003 agony of defeat, I dont know what is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

2004 ALCS, Game 7. Everything on the line at Yankee Stadium. The big night. As pressure filled as it ever could be. Derek Lowe on two days rest. Starting and pitching brilliantly.rest is h The istory, but the whole comeback , the whole great saga would have been for naught without DLowe in that game. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

It's still unbelievable, almost 10 years later, isn't it? If that wasn't the thrill of victory, after the 2003 agony of defeat, I dont know what is.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Unforgettable. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

After a tough 2004 regular season, he came to life in the playoffs.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

It's seems like 2004 was yesterday yet ...

With Lowe retiring, the only 2004 Red Sox still active as players are Bronson Arroyo, David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez (minors) and Kevin Youkilis.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

that just says it all J! I will always have a place in my heart for DLowe and Pedro the matadore. just remembering that magical summer/fall of 2004. "Cy Shill" making 45,000 screaming hating yankee fans shut up will always be a great memory. Sorry to all my yankee fan friends, but DLowe was one of the brightest shinning bulbs of that magical time.

Go Sox!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

we should give him a one day contract like in football and have him retire as a sawx with all the ceremony that goes with it. we should hook him up in the org as well.. should b throwing out a pitch within a MONTH!

COMMY COMMY COMMY COMMY CONTRARIAN, HE COMES AND GOES, HE COMES AND GOES... @commyContrarian on Twitter!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

A great feat winning all 3 deciding games.  I hope we have a day for him soon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Now that he is not affiliated with another team, he can don his Red Sox cap and jersey without catching any grief.  It's in Boston where he made his name and where he accomplished his most heroic feats.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Lowe~

Thanks for the memories!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

They don't make trades like the one we made with Seattle : Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe for Heathcliffe Sloucomb....As history shows that's one trade the Sawx definately got the better of their trading partner... Thnx Derek and Jason you guys were the heart of the Sox circa 2004!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Lowe was a funny player. He could be an absolute head case in the regular season. But come playoff time, he was money. Absolutely amazing when a championship was on the line. I guess high pressure situations relaxed him.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Lowe was a funny player. He could be an absolute head case in the regular season. But come playoff time, he was money. Absolutely amazing when a championship was on the line. I guess high pressure situations relaxed him.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Lowe was definitely a guy who loved the spotlight and he was one of my all-time favorite Sox pitchers.  He was a wild man during his Boston years (Big reason why the Sox didn't want to commit big dollars to him), and he showed up to the park still drunk from the night before more than once, including a day game he was scheduled to pitch.  I was at Fenway when he first returned to Boston with the Braves.  He got a standing O when he walked out to the bullpen and a few more times after.  He pitched well, but Beckett pitched a complete game shutout to beat him.   I'm guessing he won't have a hard time getting a job within the game if he wants to, now that he's retired.