Derek Lowe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Derek Lowe

In Response to Re: Derek Lowe:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : If DLowe helps the Yankees to a World Championship ( along with Ichiro ) , will you then admit that it was a mistake for us to refuse to bring him back ? Or will you say , " It's only one year."  Wait until next year.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

depends on how much he actually helps them. Again, one appearance, too soon to say. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]As usual, the Red Sox sat on their hands & did nothing regarding picking up Lowe. Sad state of affairs considering Lowe even hinted at returning to Boston.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Does it really matter at this point? This season cannot end fast enough. As soon as I see the Yankees eliminated I can tune out baseball completely for the year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Is it "blind loyalty" or logic? Is one game an adequate sample size to draw conclusions from? Is it a sure thing that Lowe continues to pitch like that after pitching poorly in Cleveland during the season? Base your opinions on what he has done over the season and not one game.
    Posted by Clamshack1[/QUOTE]

Exactly, mikey

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The spin continues. On and on.  The point is : Ichiro is a great player, a Hall of Famer. Ibanez , Chavez and Jones make up a great bench. Derek Lowe is a winner. A clutch , big game pitcher, who did a great job for us and wanted to come back. These were great additions by Cashman. The Yankees have survived their injuries. We have not.  But let's never criticize Ben , because it is just " a small sample size."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]Is it "blind loyalty" or logic? Is one game an adequate sample size to draw conclusions from? Is it a sure thing that Lowe continues to pitch like that after pitching poorly in Cleveland during the season? Base your opinions on what he has done over the season and not one game.

I think it would be fitting to see Lowe pitch well enough to remain with the team during the regular season but blow  key game and be a major reason the Yankees were eliminated this year. Afterwards he could say that he will "always be a Red Sox".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]The spin continues. On and on.  The point is : Ichiro is a great player, a Hall of Famer. Ibanez , Chavez and Jones make up a great bench. Derek Lowe is a winner. A clutch , big game pitcher, who did a great job for us and wanted to come back. These were great additions by Cashman. The Yankees have survived their injuries. We have not.  But let's never criticize Ben , because it is just " a small sample size."

was your OP a shot at BC?? I took it as crowning Lowe a NYY savior, after 4 innings pitched, as a starter out of the bullpen, with a rested arm. Last time, too soon to make a call on this move, either way. no spin

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zetterberg80. Show Zetterberg80's posts

I am sorry, but many people in this thread have no business criticizing the Red Sox front office because they clearly know nothing about baseball.

Derek Lowe was awful last season.

He has been awful this year as well, posting literally some of the worst numbers among qualifying starters, is 39 years old, but yeah, the Sox should have signed him since he pitched four good innings.

What in the name of god is wrong with you people? How can you follow sports yet be so dense?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]I am sorry, but many people in this thread have no business criticizing the Red Sox front office because they clearly know nothing about baseball. Derek Lowe was awful last season. He has been awful this year as well, posting literally some of the worst numbers among qualifying starters, is 39 years old, but yeah, the Sox should have signed him since he pitched four good innings. What in the name of god is wrong with you people? How can you follow sports yet be so dense?
    Posted by Zetterberg80[/QUOTE]
    Check the standings , Zetterberg.  Who is making the good moves . and who is not ? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

a total loss of credibility with the dhouse, sad topic

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : was your OP a shot at BC?? I took it as crowning Lowe a NYY savior, after 4 innings pitched, as a starter out of the bullpen, with a rested arm. Last time, too soon to make a call on this move, either way. no spin
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    I am not crowning Lowe as a Yankee savior. I don't want them saved. I said that he was a good pickup for them before he pitched last night. The point is that Cashman has done what was needed to help N.Y. , and Ben has not done what was needed to help us.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Lowe's release by the Indians was a blessing for Derek. He spent the next month working with an old coach of his on what is wrong with his delivery, including the fact he was tipping pitches. Sinkerball pitchers have a long shelf life because they don't have to throw high velocity (see Aaron Cook). Yes, he was terrible, BUT only after being one of the top pitchers during April and May, then he lost his way. The Red Sox aren't willing to bite at anything that connects the old teams with this team--i.e. don't touch Damon (who might be on his last legs, but certainly could have filled the DH void and then taken over for Crawford), i.e. don't touch Lowe, dare don't bring back Wakefield, but instead go with those low risk, no reward guys like Danny Valencia, Nick Punto, and Mark Melancon or stay with the farm--Tazawa, Mortenson (who has been terrific), Lavarnway, Ciriaco (great job), Nava, Kalish.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]a total loss of credibility with the dhouse, sad topic
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]
    Now , we lose credibility by telling the truth ? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : Yes I am writing him off cuz he was 6-6 with the Cubs this year and went 10-14 last year with an ERA of 4.80 (same as Beckett and Lester this year pitching for AL team, Boston). If Boston ever wanted him via trade, I would be more upset about it!!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

He was 5-5 with the Cubs....but who cares?  What does that prove, that he pitched for a poor team?  His WHIP was an outstanding 1.038, 3.07 K/BB, 2.25 ERA.  In his 16 starts with them he gave up 0 or 1 ER 10 times.  Ten.

He's no long term solution at 35, but to call him valueless after 2 bad starts is ridiculous.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The Sox don't think outside the box, and that's one reason why they will stay a .500 team. They refuse to fire the manager to change the dugout dynamic, they refuse to add veteran waiver talent (except bring back a guy who THEY NEEDED A MONTH AGO but no longer really need now), and they are like a lot of the fans on this board--willing to just use age-old excuses to explain away a bad season. Ben has in effect ACCEPTED the Sox as a non playoff team. That's someone thinking way inside that box, not approaching even leaving the box. It's defeatism and it's throwing in a white towell. If that's the case, please refund my money that I paid for a late August game. I had thought it would be a game that would be important to possibly that last WildCard. Had I known that the Sox instead would mail it in, i would never have wasted my money. Don't remember a Sox team so content from fans to management about the team's situation. Content with mediocrity. A swift change of atmosphere not part of the plan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

As I said on the previous page, Lowe isnt a savior but he would help.  If the Sox seriously think they are WC contenders, they should be looking for help any and everywhere.  My issue is it seems like they are not looking for help, but at the same time , are not fully committed to preparing for 2013.

As Ive said numerous times: pick a path!!  Are we trying to make the playoffs or not?  PICK A PATH AND COMMIT TO IT!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : The thread wasn't about the standings or Ben Cherrington. It was about Lowe's performance.
    His performance last night was terrific. His performance with Cleveland was far from it. Obviously, Cashman felt that , with the rest that he had , Lowe could do a good job in the bullpen. Could he have done a good job in the Sox' pen ?  Lowe wanted to come back to Boston, but apparently Ben thought that he was not good enough. Evaluating talent is a big part of a G.M.'s job.  But I guess some fans are content to continue to look up at the Yankees in the standings and spin things every which way.  This will be the third straight year that we have not made the playoffs. That is not quite " a small sample size."  I guess it is the media's fault.  Or maybe it is my fault.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : Now , telling the truth causes a loss of credibility ?

sorry to see people turn on you DGHouse for simply stating the obvious...the board seems to get more reactionary each day...ben has done nothing...and when the Yanks make a smart move like ichiro/Lowe to plug holes, we get crickets or accusations of disloyalty...you are 100% - Ben has done NOTHING to address the starting pitching concerns or pitching in general...he is the worst GM in the business...incapable of making a fair trade and spending his time dumpster diving for has-beens...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : Check the standings , Zetterberg.  Who is making the good moves . and who is not ? 

That's a bingo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]As I said on the previous page, Lowe isnt a savior but he would help.  If the Sox seriously think they are WC contenders, they should be looking for help any and everywhere.  My issue is it seems like they are not looking for help, but at the same time , are not fully committed to preparing for 2013. As Ive said numerous times: pick a path!!  Are we trying to make the playoffs or not?  PICK A PATH AND COMMIT TO IT!!!!
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

I agree, this FO doesn't seem to have any clear plan whatsoever this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

geo, i agree 100 percent with you and gale. This is Throwing in the Towell methodology by fans. If you don't think you can make it, then use every excuse out there to defend WHY the team won't make it. It's like admitting you suck, then proving you suck by keeping the dynamic the same. What you want is a GM who
    wants to NOT suck, and wants to attempt to not suck. Not one who accepts that he sucks and brings his team down to the level of suck and keeps it there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zetterberg80. Show Zetterberg80's posts

[QUOTE]Amazing how these Veterans put on the pinestripes and they are transformed into what they once were.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah... that guy Ichiro is just hammering the cover off the ball! Oh, wait...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : Now , telling the truth causes a loss of credibility ?

When Lowe had 15+ wins and an era over 5 would you have been bragging about his wins or complaining about the OBVIOUS? That his ERA was abysmal and our offense saved his azz. 

Did you not see his numbers in Cleveland?

Honesty? This is a TABLOID level thread, and that is me being complimentary becuase I assume you are not that whacked.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]As I said on the previous page, Lowe isnt a savior but he would help.  If the Sox seriously think they are WC contenders, they should be looking for help any and everywhere.  My issue is it seems like they are not looking for help, but at the same time , are not fully committed to preparing for 2013. As Ive said numerous times: pick a path!!  Are we trying to make the playoffs or not?  PICK A PATH AND COMMIT TO IT!!!!
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

HERE'S YOUR BINGO...This is exactly what is wrong with the Sox. A GM who won't, can't decide about this season, which in effect means he has already given up. Maybe a lot of people did the moment Middlebrooks broke his wrist, I don't know. I know this--any team can make a turnaround with the talent the Sox have...it takes a jumpstart and BC will not jumpstart this team with any kind of "bold" move. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : When Lowe had 15+ wins and an era over 5 would you have been bragging about his wins or complaining about the OBVIOUS? That his ERA was abysmal and our offense saved his azz.  Did you not see his numbers in Cleveland?
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

You're way overreacting, Burrito.

Did you see the numbers of pitchers like Cook and Ohlendorf and John Maine that we picked up before the season?  Did you see the numbers of Marlon Byrd and Brent Lillibridge before we got them?  This stuff happens on an ongoing basis.  Sometimes players improve with their new teams, sometimes not.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Derek Lowe : I am not crowning Lowe as a Yankee savior. I don't want them saved. I said that he was a good pickup for them before he pitched last night. The point is that Cashman has done what was needed to help N.Y. , and Ben has not done what was needed to help us.

We'll see, gale. Don't you think a veteran starter, with a rested arm, coming out of the bullpen for 4 innings, it's too soon to say, either way?