Dice-K Returns to Japan - Red Sox Career Over?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Dice-K Returns to Japan - Red Sox Career Over?

Daisuke Matsuzaka returns to Japan

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff May 23, 2011 09:01 PM

Injured starter Daisuke Matsuzaka returned to Japan instead of accompanying the Red Sox on the road trip, the Globe has learned.

Matsuzaka will return to the United States later this month to have his elbow examined by Angels team physician Lewis Yocum. The Red Sox have diagnosed Matsuzaka as having a partial tear of his ulnar collateral ligament and a strained flexor mass.

Yocum has already evaluated Matsuzaka’s MRI. Once he examines Matsuzaka in person, the parties could decide whether season-ending surgery is required. To date, the Red Sox have indicated the injury can be managed by rest and rehabilitation.

If Matsuzaka were to have Tommy John surgery, his career with the Red Sox could be over. That surgery usually takes 12-14 months of recovery times and Matsuzaka's contract expires after the 2012 season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gready. Show Gready's posts

Re: Dice-K Returns to Japan - Red Sox Career Over?

In Response to Dice-K Returns to Japan - Red Sox Career Over?:
    [QUOTE]Daisuke Matsuzaka returns to Japan Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff May 23, 2011 09:01 PM Injured starter Daisuke Matsuzaka returned to Japan instead of accompanying the Red Sox on the road trip, the Globe has learned. Matsuzaka will return to the United States later this month to have his elbow examined by Angels team physician Lewis Yocum. The Red Sox have diagnosed Matsuzaka as having a partial tear of his ulnar collateral ligament and a strained flexor mass. Yocum has already evaluated Matsuzaka’s MRI. Once he examines Matsuzaka in person, the parties could decide whether season-ending surgery is required. To date, the Red Sox have indicated the injury can be managed by rest and rehabilitation. If Matsuzaka were to have Tommy John surgery, his career with the Red Sox could be over. That surgery usually takes 12-14 months of recovery times and Matsuzaka's contract expires after the 2012 season.
    Posted by playball01[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gready. Show Gready's posts

One can only hope!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yesgeo. Show yesgeo's posts

PERHAPS....  The sox wised up and sent the  "I hate America and refuse to speak english" player or actor back to Japa....an...

100 million  FLOP  !! even when he pitched well... he still killed the bull pen arms...

Better a roooookie the starter.... as at least it is a future oriented situation... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georgelyons. Show georgelyons's posts

In Response to Re: Dice-K Returns to Japan - Red Sox Career Over?:
    [QUOTE]One can only hope!
    Posted by Gready[/QUOTE]

Yeah, long as can turn that wrist enough to wipe his butt and count his money, he should be good to go....to Japan. Sayonara, $100 million dollar bust.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from billybang. Show billybang's posts

Six-year $103.11 million for 49-30 4.25 ERA

OUCH!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

$51 mil of that $103.11 mil went to the Seibu Lions as a posting fee, so it really isn't amortized over the life of the contract.

I am sure at the time that the FO, and the rest of us, thought that he was worth the remainder.  Even if he was supposed to be a decent #4 or #5 starter, it probably did not turn out to be a great investment.

As Ron Washington says, "That's how baseball go!"

Glad it wasn't my money. It was just my heart that was lost. For awhile.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Dice-K being injured effectively adds two pitchers to the team.   Wakefields roster spot was pretty much a black hole on the roster before...now he's the 5th starter, and there is no way that canno't be an improvement over Dice-K.  So not only does Wakefield (should be an improvement) strengthen the back of the roation but yet another pitcher is added via Dice-K's spot.

I would also carry an extra pitcher instead of two backup outfielders,  there are plenty of guys with options left in AAA.  I'd use the extra spot to keep Wakefield and Lackey on very short leashes.  If they look like they don't got it...bring in Aceves and let him go to work.  There is no way that can work any worse than Lackey and Dice-k backing up the rotation. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya looks like this could be the end of dice especially if he needs tj surgery. it will be interesting to see what the sox do if dice is done. i hope dubront gets called up soon so we can put aceves back in the pen. we need him in there as i habe no faith right now in bard and after the albers imposion not much left in the pen except hill who is pitching well, wheeler who just got back from the dl but was pitching poorly ealrier this year, and morales is a wildcard. (and of course paps) i am also wondering what going on with lackey. There should be some good pitchers available at the deadline the best of which would likely be jered weaver. I would love to see the sox go after him as he would be a perfect fit for this team. beckett, lester, buchholz, weaver is great rotation with lackey at the 5 when he gets back. if he cant return to form that will be one heck of a rotation. I really think that a solid starter is exactly what this team needs. puts less pressure on the pen which is much harder to upgrade. There will be some good pen guys available of which mike adams would be my choice. i wonder what it would take to get a deal done for weaver? do you guys think a package of doubront, reddick, and scutaro would get it done? mayeb toss in another prospect. gives the angels an outfielder to replace abreu, a young controllable pitcher to replace weaver, and a decent middle infielder/util guy plus maybe another prospect as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I dont' think that get's it done.  Weaver is an ace, and they won't take a mid-level back of the rotation prospect + our junk for him.

I think You start of with Doubront because he is a decent prospect who is MLB ready and then you have to throw in a top talent pitcher like Ranaudo, then you probably have to throw something in they need Scutaro and reddick may work if they need a SS or they want Depth in the outfield, otherwise those players have no value to them. They have a great infield with aybar/Kendrick/callaspo and I forget the 1b and I think their utility guy is a great hitter too, he's like their Jed Lowrie.  You can always throw in more pitching, and I'm not sure if they want outfield depth.  But I think a Doubront/Ranaudo has to headline the package. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

This is the 2nd lame thread you have started on the same subject matter. Except, the last one included the statement that DiceK would "probably have Tommy John" surgery. No need to start another thread on this. I suggest you start a thread on the issues with Wakefield's back.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I suggest you start a thread on the issues with Wakefield's back"

Dice K was a lot more expensive so it's understandable, Softy, that this would be a more important discussion topic than how bargain basement Wakefield impacts us. I think Dice did have value to our franchise, and was rooting for him this year, but I can't deny given how relentlessly you have trolled on Wakefield on this board and blindly defended Dice K that this recent turn of events (quality Wakefield start, Dice K in serious limbo) has a silver lining to me. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

if DICE does return to JAPAN permanently, can he take SLACKEY with him?
    also, would there be room on the plane for THEO?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

The article clearly says that Dice-K will return to the US next month.  But if he has the surgery, who knows.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't know if Dice-K is done in Boston or not... but I got an email from the MLB this morning advertising LOTS of "Matsuzaka" t-shirts, etc. on sale... cheap.

Just sayin' 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

[QUOTE]$51 mil of that $103.11 mil went to the Seibu Lions as a posting fee, so it really isn't amortized over the life of the contract. I am sure at the time that the FO, and the rest of us, thought that he was worth the remainder.  Even if he was supposed to be a decent #4 or #5 starter, it probably did not turn out to be a great investment. As Ron Washington says, "That's how baseball go!" Glad it wasn't my money. It was just my heart that was lost. For awhile.

Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

"worth the remainder" ???????

However you slice it, his cost does include the posting fee.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Why didn't Swisher play last night?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE] />Posting fee for Matsusaka 51M />5 year contract for Matsuaka 52 M />Total cost of aquisition 103 M... />2007 World Series Championship...Priceless! It's akin to the chicken and the egg...do we win the division in 2007 without his contributions? Which gave us home field vs the Indians? Just saying that sometimes you have to look at the entire picture...Has he underperformed to expectations absolutely...Let's remember, when he signed he was the #1 free agebt pitching prospects in the world! His signing IMHO sent a signal to the team that Henry was in it to win it...let us not forget that both the NY teams posted bids in the upper 30M range with the Yanks being the second highest...then after not landing him, spent almost the same moneys for Igawa...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    ----------------------

Kei Igawa had a 26 million dollar posting fee to go along with a 4 year 20 million dollar salary.Total cost:46 Million dollars. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

let's hope that dice-k is not going to need surgery, but i know that i would much rather watch wakefield pitch (even if he gets blasted every once in a while).

dice-k might be the one biggest reason that the sox tv ratings have gone down every year since he arrived.  absolutely terrible to watch pitch a game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

[QUOTE]let's hope that dice-k is not going to need surgery, but i know that i would much rather watch wakefield pitch (even if he gets blasted every once in a while). dice-k might be the one biggest reason that the sox tv ratings have gone down every year since he arrived.  absolutely terrible to watch pitch a game.
    Posted by charliedarling[/QUOTE]

+1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dice-K Returns to Japan - Red Sox Career Over? : "worth the remainder" ??????? However you slice it, his cost does include the posting fee.
    Posted by --The--Babe--1[/QUOTE]

I dunno, Babe. Not sure I agree. I think the posting fee is more akin to one of those "one-time charges" that you see in 10-Ks or 10-Qs.

More to the point, though, the $51 mil posting fee is not counted against the salary cap - which I use to establish my accounting method. You're using a different one and I see your point, but I just disagree.

And I'm not saying this to sugar-coat the end result, which is  - let's face it -  bad.  Even if you go with Dice-K's $9 mil (approx.) per year, his performance taken as a whole has been really disappointing.  I am still waiting for this mysterious and much-heralded gyro-ball to make an appearance and win a game or two. At this point, I will never see it used for the Red Sox. Maybe never for anyone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Help us Obi-Wake. You're our only hope!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-yazzer. Show the-yazzer's posts

hey soxmeister,

why is this bashing of DICE not on your racist radar?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Daisuke is now on a Japanese Sojourn.  Softy is all for that.