Did the Rays "Fade Away"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Did the Rays

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Boston was 12-7 vs. the Rays this year.  I fear the A's more than the Rays.  But I fear the Rays more than the Tigers.  

Fear this:

2 lefties (maybe multiple times) in 1 series...

Price vs Sox    2-2  2.48   0.673

Moore vs Sox  2-0  1.80   0.533

But it is possible one of these two pitchers will miss the first two games at Boston unless Joe Maddon go on two days rest.

Right now, Moore is schedule for the last game of the reg season and price for the WC game. If the rays don't need Moore that last game, he could go game 1 and 4, while Price could go game 2 and 5 in a pinch.  There are some days off bewteen the wC game and the first series, then a game off between games 2 and 3 and between 4 and 5.

We will likely face one of these 2 lefties at least 3 out of 5 games. 

On Sept 10 Clay Buchholz matched up against David Price in a battle of the aces of their respective teams. While Price pitched masterfully, Buchholz was even better. We won that game, though it was CB's first game back and he went only five innings giving up no runs and just three hits, striking out six and walking one.
    If Buchholz is healthy I would take him and his 1.60 ERA over Price and his 3.39 ERA, no matter how hard on the Red Sox Price can be. It won't be easy, but a healthy Buchholz is better, and our offense is better too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Boston was 12-7 vs. the Rays this year.  I fear the A's more than the Rays.  But I fear the Rays more than the Tigers.  

Fear this:

2 lefties (maybe multiple times) in 1 series...

Price vs Sox    2-2  2.48   0.673

Moore vs Sox  2-0  1.80   0.533

But it is possible one of these two pitchers will miss the first two games at Boston unless Joe Maddon go on two days rest.

Right now, Moore is schedule for the last game of the reg season and price for the WC game. If the rays don't need Moore that last game, he could go game 1 and 4, while Price could go game 2 and 5 in a pinch.  There are some days off bewteen the wC game and the first series, then a game off between games 2 and 3 and between 4 and 5.

We will likely face one of these 2 lefties at least 3 out of 5 games. 

On Sept 10 Clay Buchholz matched up against David Price in a battle of the aces of their respective teams. While Price pitched masterfully, Buchholz was even better. We won that game, though it was CB's first game back and he went only five innings giving up no runs and just three hits, striking out six and walking one.
    If Buchholz is healthy I would take him and his 1.60 ERA over Price and his 3.39 ERA, no matter how hard on the Red Sox Price can be. It won't be easy, but a healthy Buchholz is better, and our offense is better too.

[/QUOTE]

I like our chances against anyone, especially with home field, but my biggest fear is a tough lefty. The Rays have 2.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

I told you guys they had another run in them.

I still fear their two lefties in a series against us.

They've won 6 in a row and have more wins than Texas, Cleveland, and the Nats.

They are just 1-2 wins away from the Dodgers, Pirates, and Reds.

They lose Shields and Davis and don't miss a beat.

A month ago (less) they were leading this division by a half game in the loss column. 

But they didn't fade? The issue was putting space between the Sox and the Rays.  That happened and ended their shot at winning the division.

I get your point, but the Rays faded. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

The Rays have to throw Price in a one game playoff home or away. Maddon would be second guessed all Winter if he goes with Moore or Cobb taking for granted they are going to win regardless of who pitches.

Moore is very good and so is Cobb. Moore has been playing with fire lately--if you watched any of the Mon or Tues. Yankee game that he pitched.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

They didn't exactly make a run at the division.

Seems they stayed in the WC race by virture of the Rangers and O's collapsing.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

Exactly. They are still very dangerous, but I think we can beat them. Plus, dont forget they have to win the one game playoff, and in a game like that, anything could happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

The Rays have to throw Price in a one game playoff home or away. Maddon would be second guessed all Winter if he goes with Moore or Cobb taking for granted they are going to win regardless of who pitches.

Moore is very good and so is Cobb. Moore has been playing with fire lately--if you watched any of the Mon or Tues. Yankee game that he pitched.

Also take a look at that Yankees lineup now. Its the most pathetic thing Ive ever seen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Also take a look at that Yankees lineup now. Its the most pathetic thing Ive ever seen.

[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the 2012 Red Sox lineup for most of the second half.....

Fear not Moon, come early October...every team starts with zeros in the win column...the first to 11 gets the shiny trophy with flags on it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soups' comment:

[QUOTE]

A month ago (less) they were leading this division by a half game in the loss column. 

But they didn't fade? The issue was putting space between the Sox and the Rays.  That happened and ended their shot at winning the division.

I get your point, but the Rays faded. 

[/QUOTE]

...but no fade away.

Many here felt they wouldn't even make the playoffs after that tough stretch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fear not Moon, come early October...every team starts with zeros in the win column...the first to 11 gets the shiny trophy with flags on it.

[/QUOTE]

So, are we suddenly going to hit lefties well?

Look, I'd still bet on the Sox in a series against the Ray, even if we face Price and Moore in 3 of the games, but my point is, I fear this team more than any other right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

How about Cleveland beats Tampa

PROBLEM SOLVED

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Look, I'd still bet on the Sox in a series against the Ray, even if we face Price and Moore in 3 of the games, but my point is, I fear this team more than any other right now.

[/QUOTE]

I tend to fear them more than any other team right now too, but we have hit lefties a little better lately. Napoli got pretty hot in September, and Middlebrooks has had his good moments. Im not as worried about that as I was a few weeks ago.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Besides, no way we see Price and Moore twice in a five game series. Madden will have to use Price just to get through the one game playoff. If he happens to slip up in that one game playoff, all this is moot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Besides, no way we see Price and Moore twice in a five game series. Madden will have to use Price just to get through the one game playoff. If he happens to slip up in that one game playoff, all this is moot.

That's why I said 3 games by Price and Moore combined.

However, when it's playoff time, and your season is at the brink of elimination, managers will pull out all the stops. Is this an impossible scenario?

Moore is not needed for the last regular season game.

10/2 WC game: Price (Maybe he is only needed for 3-5 IP)

10/3 Off

10/4 ALDS 1: Moore

10/5 ALDS 2: Price (Just 2 days rest)

10/6 Off

10/7 ALDS 3: Cobb or Archer

10/8 ALDS 4: Moore (3 days rest)

10/9 Off

10/10 ALDS 5: Price (normal rest)

This is the likely plan:

10/2 WC game: Price

10/3 Off_____________________________

10/5 ALDS 2: Cobb or Archer

10/6 Off

10/7 ALDS 3: Price

10/8 ALDS 4: Moore

10/9 Off

10/10 ALDS 5: Cobb or Archer

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

However, when it's playoff time, and your season is at the brink of elimination, managers will pull out all the stops. Is this an impossible scenario?

10/3 Off

10/6 Off

10/9 Off

This is the likely plan:

10/6 Off

10/9 Off

[/QUOTE]

With Madden nothing would surprise me. However, tinkering around like that can backfire as often as it works.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With Madden nothing would surprise me. However, tinkering around like that can backfire as often as it works.

Many managers go with their best on very short rest, when the season hangs on a thread.

If the Rays win the first game with Moore, they can lose game 2,  push Price to game 3 and have this to look forward to:

Best of 3:

Home with Price on normal 5th day.

Home with Cobb or Archer

Off

Away with Moore on an extra day's rest

This still scares me more than seeing righties Scherzer, Verlander and A Sanchez.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We have done better vs lefties this year, but the Sox hitter splits scare me:

OPS          vs RHP/vs LHP

Ellsbury    .858    .650   -200

Victorino  .905*  .876 (* as RHB,  he is .710 vs RHPs as a LHB)  -025

Pedroia    .718    .921   +200

Ortiz       1.094    .722   -375

Napoli      .803    .909    +100

Nava        .882     -                                                                                                Gomes        -        .764   -100

Salty        .871     .633 (Ross .755?)  -225

Middy       .681    .800   +125

Drew        .867    .572    -300

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Exactly....It takes a little luck in October.  Justin Verlander, arguably the best pitcher on the planet going into the World Series last October, got absolutely shelled by the San Francisco Giants' "statistically" below average line-up in game one last year.  It seemed to set the tone for the whole series.  Once the playoffs start, throw the "stats" out the window and enjoy the ride.  There's over a hundred years of World Series history that shows "anyone" can get hot or cold at any time and win it all.  Be careful what team you "wish" to play...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:

How about Cleveland beats Tampa

PROBLEM SOLVED

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Magnificent concern, which I fully share, their pitching has clicked back to superb, on Oct 2 we all should  be pulling for Tito or whoever!...dont wanna see those lefties agains us... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

[QUOTE]

10/3 Off

10/6 Off

10/9 Off

This is the likely plan:

10/6 Off

10/9 Off

[/QUOTE]

BELIEVE ME FOLKS I HAVE A STRONG FEELING THAT FATE WILL PUT TITO IN FENWAW NEXT FRI OCT 5... 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moon,

Not sure that i buy into the sox can't hit lefthanded pitching. FYI The Sox are 32 and 21 in games started by lefties a .600 winning pct which is consistent with their overall record on the season.

The Sox not unlike all teams struggle to hit good pitching regardless of the arm the pitcher throws with. While I agree that facing Price and Moore in a short series might prove tough. The key to beating them and or for that matter any of the top guns, is to manufacture runs...get em on, get em over, get em in. If they're on top of thier respective games. Then we need Lester and company to match them zero for zero...The dynamic is no different when facing the Tigers righty duo of Verlander and Scherzer who when both are on top of their games are equally tough.

Post season baseball is a funny animal, in the end the formula for success is to get solid to dominant starting pitching performances from your 1 & 2, catch the ball and get a few timely hits. Then hand the ball to the back end of the pen with a lead. Make no mistake about, the bullpens of each of the teams will and have historically played a huge role in deciding who wins and loses. 

The road to the World Series is one frought with peril...If we can hold serve and finish with the best record...Whomever we play will have to beat us on our field. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

I like Cleveland's chances. 

The pitching is pretty straight forward--it's really good. Our pitching has held its own---Lester has come on strong. Buch has come back and if he pitches game 2 in Fenway he will get a great lift from the fans. I would go in  Gm.3 Lackey, Gm. 4 Lester in Tampa, Gm. 5 Buch and Peavy.

Maddon goes with his hot players. Notice the final against the Yanks last night: get his best hitters the most AB's--it was some combo of Zobrist, Myers, Loney and Longoria--they responded with 8 hits. The other five hitters combined for three hits.

Our top of the order: Ells, Vic, Pedroia and Ortiz. then Nap, Salty, Middle, Drew and Gomes against (L) and Nava against (R).

I like our chances against Tampa, Cleve, or Texas.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

We need Cleveland to keep winning to keep the Rays from clinching anything (including HFA for the wild card game) until the last game so they can't skip anybody in the rotation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Rays and InDian's are both hot, Sox are not.  

I strenuously disagree with moonslav that Maddon start anyone on short rest early on.  It's still a 5 games series.  The Rays are 4-3 vs the Sox since the all star break.  So they will be a tough out, regardless of who starts game 1 or 2.  Our first two starters will likely be Lester and lackey. Home field advantage will help us, no question.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moon,

Not sure that i buy into the sox can't hit lefthanded pitching. FYI The Sox are 32 and 21 in games started by lefties a .600 winning pct which is consistent with their overall record on the season.

The Sox not unlike all teams struggle to hit good pitching regardless of the arm the pitcher throws with. While I agree that facing Price and Moore in a short series might prove tough. The key to beating them and or for that matter any of the top guns, is to manufacture runs...get em on, get em over, get em in. If they're on top of thier respective games. Then we need Lester and company to match them zero for zero...The dynamic is no different when facing the Tigers righty duo of Verlander and Scherzer who when both are on top of their games are equally tough.

Post season baseball is a funny animal, in the end the formula for success is to get solid to dominant starting pitching performances from your 1 & 2, catch the ball and get a few timely hits. Then hand the ball to the back end of the pen with a lead. Make no mistake about, the bullpens of each of the teams will and have historically played a huge role in deciding who wins and loses. 

The road to the World Series is one frought with peril...If we can hold serve and finish with the best record...Whomever we play will have to beat us on our field. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, we can beat lefties, and again, I have said I would bet on the Sox vs the Rays, but clearly we hit lefties worse than righties, so my point remains:

I'd rather face a team stacked with righty aces (everyone but TB) rather than a team stacked with lefty aces (the Rays).

I do not think that if Scherzer & Verlander are on the "top of their game" they will be equally as tough as Price and Moore "on top of their games". It's not a wide disparity, but my opinion is the tough lefties will give us more trouble.