Do the Sox need to make a trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Do the Sox need to make a trade?

Posters are constantly posing one trade or another...usually dependant on which player is in the middle of a rough stretch, and of course al fans have the right to get nervous when their team is in last place.....but does this team realy need to make a trade? Most of the trades I hear suggested are not blockbusters....the player being desired is a 3rd starter type....an average OF who happens to be RH, or a Middle Reliever...and to get them we are giving up young talent....Middlebrooks...Ranauado....et al.
    Yes we are in last place, but it is still mid may and we are clearly still in contention for a playoff spot.....Our DL is packed, but reports on the keys guys have all been good and at Worst they are due back by the AS break. Our Bullpen has been magnificent lately, and should only get better, when Baliley comes back, with depth stil down in Pawtucket in Melancon, Tazawa, and Mortenson. Our offense has been great, even with Gonzo off to a slow start for his standards and without Ells and CC.  We haev sme offensive help in Pawtucket with Lava, if necesssary...and Nava has shown enough to me(even his outs have been good ABs) to be the 5th OF and Ross/Seeney, who have both been good would be dynamic offensively has a platoon. The Starters have struggled, but have shown signs of life lately and unless you can get a #1 type starter, I dont see a Garza or a Wandy as being such a big upgrade, that it would be worth giving u some of the future, and with Dice and Cook eventually back, we have depth to move someone out of the rotation if they cannot be consistent and Dice is probably going to cause a move which will make our BP even stronger still.
    I would say, no need to make a trade.....hang tight....see where you are when guys start coming back and where you are at the deadline....then you can make an informed decision on whther you need to go for it and sacrifice some young talent.....maybe because I waited 35+ years for the Sox to win one, but I have paitience.....and I am enjoying seeing some of the young talent, like Doubront and Middlebrooks emerge.  Unless you can show me a blockbuster that is out there for the Sox to pounce on and that it would be a trade that would guarantee a deep playoff run, I cannot see where a lesser trade makes this team much better than it  has the possibiity of being when our guys get healthy and wouldnt be worth sacrificing the young talent we will need next year, when we lose some older guys.

Have fun suggesting them, but I for one and for at least now, say stand pat.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade?

I'm not sure if we should mortgage the future to try and win it all this year, but I do think we have too many average to decent players and not enough very good quality players. If we could make a 3 for 1 deal or a couple of 2 for 1 deals, I think we'd be better off.  

Mortensen should be on the big club. Melanacon probably deserves a second chance soon. Youk will be ready soon, and Ells, Bailey, and CC later (and maybe Dice-K). 

It's nice to be deep, but we can only have 25 on the roster at any given time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I dont know Moon....when we are healthy that wont be the case....Gonzo, Pedey...Papi, CC, Ells....all great or way better than average.
    Sweeny/Ross as a platoon would be way better than an average OF.
    Salty/Shopp or Salty/Lava production as platoon are going to be better than most catchers in Baseball.
    Youk is just decent at this point, but the Sox are not upgrading at third base and blocking Middlebrooks down the line.
    Aviles production has been comparable to almost any shortstop in the AL....and any of the ones that are better are not going to be on the trading block.
    I dont see any surefire BP guys out there, that I would be willing to give up 3 for 1 for, that would make us better guaranteed.
    If you can get me a #1 or a strong #2 starter, 3 for 1.....then maybe....but other than that....I dont see a trade out there that is worth it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I dont know Moon....when we are healthy that wont be the case....Gonzo, Pedey...Papi, CC, Ells....all great or way better than average. 
    Sweeny/Ross as a platoon would be way better than an average OF.
    Salty/Shopp or Salty/Lava production as platoon are going to be better than most catchers in Baseball.
    Youk is just decent at this point, but the Sox are not upgrading at third base and blocking Middlebrooks down the line. 
    Aviles production has been comparable to almost any shortstop in the AL....and any of the ones that are better are not going to be on the trading block.
    I dont see any surefire BP guys out there, that I would be willing to give up 3 for 1 for, that would make us better guaranteed.
    If you can get me a #1 or a strong #2 starter, 3 for 1.....then maybe....but other than that....I dont see a trade out there that is worth it.

Our LF is awful. It won't be great when CC comes back either.
    Ross in LF might be OK, but I don't like him in RF even vs LHPs.

Our pen has plenty of average pitchers. While it is true that trades for any relief pitcher is never guaranteed, I have to think we can do better than Albers, Atchison, Padilla and Miller (yes, I know some of these guys have started out doing well).

Our starting pitching has looked much better recently, but like I said all winter, we need a solid #3 slot starter if we want a ring this year. I'm OK with looking to 2013 and beyond, but if we want to win this year, we need a solid and dependable starter.
    If we could get one that helps us beyond 2013 as well, that would be awesome.

I could see something like this: 

Let Youk play when he comes back and hope he does well, then trade him at the deadline for prospects. We have Middlebrooks and Aviles to play 3B.

Trade Punto and DMac for whatever when Ells and CC return.

I'd love to trade CC for Zito to save some cash and maybe get lucky with a Barry resurgence.

Trade Albers, Atchison for prospects.

Trade prospects for Gavin Floyd or Wandy Rodriguez.

Move Bard to the pen and bring up Iggy, Mortensen and Melancon.

I like this 25 man roster after the deadline:

S1  Beckett
    S2  Lester
    S3  Floyd
    S4  Zito
    S5  Buchholtz/Doubront/Dice-K

R1  Bailey (Aceves)
    R2  Bard
    R3  Aceves
    R4  Morales
    R5  R Hill
    R6  (Doubront) Mortensen
    R7  (Mortensen) Melancon/Tazawa/Miller

C   Salty/ Shopp 
    1B  AGon (Papi/Salty)
    2B  Pedey  (Aviles)
    3B  Middlebrooks (Aviles)
    SS  Aviles/Iggy
    LF  Ross/Byrd
    CF  Ellsbury (Sweeney)
    RF  Sweeney (Byrd)
    DH  Ortiz

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We have to do better than this:

Lester  3.95
    Doubie 4.09  (1.477 WHIP)
    D Bard  4.85  (1.547)
    Beckett 4.97 (1.296)
    C Buch   7.77 (1.909)

Starters  5.23  (1.518)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade?:
    [QUOTE]We have to do better than this: Lester  3.95 Doubie 4.09  (1.477 WHIP) D Bard  4.85  (1.547) Beckett 4.97 (1.296) C Buch   7.77 (1.909) Starters  5.23  (1.518)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I agree, the starters DO have to do better than this, but I don't see anyone who might be available who has more potential than our 1st 5.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that it's all based on potential.

Lester's ERA is coming down after a horrid start.

Beckett still has the potential to have a very good year. Yes, he needs ot remove his head from his posterior but he's showing signs of doing that. If he does he'll be a force to be recconed with. Don't forget, he CAN still be an elite pitcher.

Busch - it's hard for me to support this guy given his numbers, but he HAS done better the past few games AND his numbers are due partly because of no BP support.
    Doubront - He's a guy learing how to pitch in the Bigs.  Until Bard's last start Doubront & Bard were carrying the staff. 
    Bard - Right now he's suffering from "John Lester Syndrome".  IIRC Lester had the same issue Bard now has - giving up ONE BAD INNING. The Sox stuck with Lester and it worked out.  Maybe it will with Bard.  I wouldn't give up on him yet, and even when the time comes to give up on him he can always be reassingned to a setup guy's role.

And who knows... DiceK may come back strong - or at least strong enough to be a #3 or #4.

This team right now has a logjam at mediocre-to-better-than-mediocre pitchers right now. The choice as I see it is to either keep what they've got and hope for the best or trade off one of our (currently mediocre) pitchers for another mediocre pitcher in hopes that the one we pick up will progress better/faster than the one we traded.

Sounds like a fool's errand to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I don't think so.  The idea behind any trade is to make a material improvement in a position.  Assuming CC and Ells return, as well as Bailey, where do we go to make a game-changing trade?

The only change that might make sense is trading for an SP and putting Bard back in the BP, and even on that, I'd wait to see if Dice has anything to offer.

But past that, I think we have an extremely talented team.  We're second in scoring, and could move to #1 when Ells and CC return.  That should improve the defense as well.  The rotation can be top-shelf as well, but either the big 3 perform or they don't.  The BP has been good, though Padilla in the setup role is a little weak.

Even BV is managing on a more stable basis now.

I'm still confident that we'll make the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I don't think this team "needs" to make a trade.  I agree with Lou Merloni though... The only thing that seems to make sense at this piont is bringing in a guy like Oswalt (or trade for a pitcher) and then move Bard back to the Pen.  Other than that, I don't see any areas that need major improvements.  Maybe another bullpen guy?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Another view is what do we have to offer in trade?  My answer is very little other than critical parts of our present and future.
    • Studs (lots of trade value):  Lester, Pedroia, Bard, Doubrant, Aceves, Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, Bogaerts, etc.
    • Complimentaries (little bit of trade value):  Sweeney, Aviles, Ross, BP guys
    • Fat Cats (tiny or negative trade value):  Lackey, AGon, CC, Ortiz, Punto, Beckett
    • Wild cards:  Buchholz, Ellsbury, Youkilis, Salty

(note - I realise Ortiz is adding great value and put him into Fat Cats due to age, salary, control and position issues that render his trade value tiny and there are other, similar stretches to fit the 4 categories)

So, sure, let's make a deal!....we can trade Pedroia and get lots in return.  But how would that help?  Or we could send Ross/Sweeney/Aviles...where?  For how much?  Or we could pay someone to take away CC and Lackey because if we waived them no one would take them even for only the 100k waiver price due to salary issues.  In summary, it'd be ridiculous to trade the Studs, fairly pointless to trade the Comps, impossible to trade the Fat Cats....that leaves the wild cards:

• Salty - no way would I trade him....still developing, still fairly young for a catcher, no certain replacement available IMO though I'm hopeful for the obvious candidate.  Ever wonder why so few MLB catchers are traded?
    • Youkilis - injured, possibly fading, well paid....not that valuable anymore, and fully priced.
    • Ellsbury - carries a lot of value, but is very important to us....don't want to lose him even if we only have 1.5 years and a draft pick remaining
    • Buchholz - Buy high, sell low!  Yeah, baby!  That's the kind of thinking that's made us the team we are today!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

If the Sox FO wants to win it this year, the starting pitching HAS to be improved.  If they could do that without having to trade, Aviles, Middlebrooks, Ellsbury, and Lavarnway, then I hope they will.  (to mean Youk, Crawford, Punto, Salty or Shoppach, and Padilla/Miller/Albers/Atchison would be trade bait.  I'm still on the fence with Iggy--if he could bring in a Floyd, I'd trade him and keep riding Aviles's talents until Bogaerts is ready.)

But moon, why do you think Zito is an improvement over Buchholz, Bard, Doubront, Dice-K, or Cook?  (How about Mortensen as a starter?).  Even Duckworth, 5-0 at Pawtuckett, projects as a better rotation solution than Zito, to me. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Perhaps we could trade Nava, Crawford, Lackey, Punto, Shoppach, DMac, Miller, and $250,000 to the 1930s Philadelphia Athletics for Lefty Grove and Jimmy Foxx?

I've also been hearing that the 1940s St. Louis Browns are itching to trade Junior Stephens, Ellis Kinder and Jack Kramer to the 2012 Red Sox for cash and a raft of flotsam and jetsam.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

only 7 1/2 games out but everyone is forgetting that we're not chasing 1 team but have 4 ahead of us.The odds are pretty good that 1 of those 4 will get hot,1 or 2 will be about average,maybe a little above or a little below and 1 will tank.Evan if the sox straighten out the post season looks dim sox-wise.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This team right now has a logjam at mediocre-to-better-than-mediocre pitchers right now. The choice as I see it is to either keep what they've got and hope for the best or trade off one of our (currently mediocre) pitchers for another mediocre pitcher in hopes that the one we pick up will progress better/faster than the one we traded.

Sounds like a fool's errand to me.

Some teams need 2-3 mediocre pitchers to give them innings that terrible pitchers are giving them now. We could trade 2-3 mediocres for 1 better-than mediocre and replce the others with mediocres we already have with out a step down.  We gain by upgrading one of our mediocres to a quality pistcher, and they gain by getting 3 guys for 1.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The only change that might make sense is trading for an SP and putting Bard back in the BP, and even on that, I'd wait to see if Dice has anything to offer.

But past that, I think we have an extremely talented team.  We're second in scoring, and could move to #1 when Ells and CC return.  That should improve the defense as well.  The rotation can be top-shelf as well, but either the big 3 perform or they don't.  The BP has been good, though Padilla in the setup role is a little weak.

We are almost in last place in team ERA. To think we can't improve on what we have is very much wishful thinking that all of these guys off to a poor start will turn it around.

Adding a gavin Floyd or Wandy Rodriguez wpuld greatly improve the staff... and out ring chances.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]We have to do better than this: Lester  3.95 Doubie 4.09  (1.477 WHIP) D Bard  4.85  (1.547) Beckett 4.97 (1.296) C Buch   7.77 (1.909) Starters  5.23  (1.518)

The problem with your post here is that it misses the point that it's trending down. There are still questions but there have been enough good signs recently to go forward.

And to a previous post. I'd stay away from Zito. He's 34 -- I thought the Sox should get younger -- and his ERA in the NL in recent years has been: 4.53, 5.15, 4.03, 4.15 and 5.87. Yeah, he's off to a good start but I'd rather take my chances with the young guys the Sox have.

I also don't see the need to move Bard back to the pen. The bullpen has settled down and there seems to be depth in the minors and DL. I'd rather see if a young, under-30 guy with  a live arm can do it, rather than go after another older high-priced veteran. And I don't think Floyd would be worth the prospects that the White Sox would want.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]The only change that might make sense is trading for an SP and putting Bard back in the BP, and even on that, I'd wait to see if Dice has anything to offer. But past that, I think we have an extremely talented team.  We're second in scoring, and could move to #1 when Ells and CC return.  That should improve the defense as well.  The rotation can be top-shelf as well, but either the big 3 perform or they don't.  The BP has been good, though Padilla in the setup role is a little weak. We are almost in last place in team ERA. To think we can't improve on what we have is very much wishful thinking that all of these guys off to a poor start will turn it around. Adding a gavin Floyd or Wandy Rodriguez wpuld greatly improve the staff... and out ring chances.

I agree moon, Aceves and Bard in their old roles with Bailey closing and another starter like Floyd, Rodriquez, A. Sanchez, McCarthy, Marcum etc. would probably put us in a good position.   We can't afford a lack of command/falling too far behind early like last season from starters and hope to get by offensively.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

First thing I try is to trade Crawford (+4 million per year for the next 3 years) for Bay.  I'd take my chance with Bay plus, essentially the "Crawford $" will be off the books 3 years sooner)...For the Mets, Crawford may be better suited for the NL and that park.  If so, he could help to mitigate the loss of Reyes....

Then, instead of trying to initiate deals, see what kind of offers come in.  Maybe let the market develop that way.  I am sure Ben will get some calls in June when they're still in the cellar 10 GB....but trades I make have to have 2013+ in mind - I think we can try and go for broke in 2013; a little like what we did in 2004 before we have some more turnover....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The thing that all seem to fail to see is that since going 4-10 they have gone 15-11 a .576 record which is similar to all others except Balt. and puts them in the running. There is nothing wrong with this team that getting guys back won't help.
    Seriously an OF of Sweeney/Byrd/Ross/Nava/DMac
    vs CC/Jake/Ross/Sweeney/Kalsih
    You tell me which is better.
    RP that is missing a couple of parts yet still has 4 RPs with eras under 1.50 and Aceves who was bad the first 6 outings yet has been damn good since.
    The SP has been much better the last two weeks.
    So when some of the DL guys come back more holes get filled.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

You lost me at Kalish............and CC............

The OF'er should be

Ross/Ellsbury/Sweeney w/ Crawford on the bench or better yet, Bay in a platoon mix w/ Sweeney & Ross.........

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]The thing that all seem to fail to see is that since going 4-10 they have gone 15-11 a .576 record which is similar to all others except Balt. and puts them in the running. There is nothing wrong with this team that getting guys back won't help. Seriously an OF of Sweeney/Byrd/Ross/Nava/DMac vs CC/Jake/Ross/Sweeney/Kalsih You tell me which is better. RP that is missing a couple of parts yet still has 4 RPs with eras under 1.50 and Aceves who was bad the first 6 outings yet has been damn good since. The SP has been much better the last two weeks. So when some of the DL guys come back more holes get filled.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Jim, outside of the Red Sox world this makes perfect sense but how long have fans been saying the same thing?  We always have key players on the DL and have for years so thats pretty much wishful thinking for this club?

By the time that happens we could be so far out of the race it won't matter.  Our starting pitchers may be doing a bit better but they still have tons of issues.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No.  The bullpen is fine right now, the hitting/scoring is the 2d best in the AL, and the rotation is starting to come around (we hope).  

I believe strongly there are only bad deals to be made.  People on this board seem to think other teams will give the Sox good players for bad.  More likely, the Sox will get bad players for good.  The last trade the Sox made for a good starter that worked was Josh Beckett, and some on this board would say it didn't work.  If another team is willing to let a starter go, that's a very good sign they know something.  Mr. Oswalt, dropped by the Phillies, please take a bow. 

Second, moonslav seems to have fallen into the trap of thinking Bard will be terrific in the bullpen when he was not only lousy last September but had a 2011 ERA of 3.30.  The facts are that the bullpen has now pitched very well for 26 games and that Bard seems to have lost both his control and his plus fastball.  A better reliever, Mortensen, is already standing by to be moved back to the Sox when an opening is there.  Behind him are Melancon and Bailey.    If Bard leaves the rotation, he should go back to Pawtucket or onto the DL so the Sox can figure out what is wrong or at least give him a rest. 

I completely agree the Sox aren't loaded down with superstars right now, but that's because CC (AL All-Star repeatedly), Ells, and Youk are on the DL and AGon is out of sync.  My point is, the plus talent is there if the team and the fanbase are patient.  Meanwhile, Ross is 2d on the team in rbi's, Ortiz is hitting up a storm, Pedroia is having another good year, Aviles is 3d in rbi's, Sweeney has hit pretty well, Middlebrooks looks pretty good (especially if he is out of the mini-slump), Salty is among the best hitting catchers around, etc.    This hardly stellar assemblage of talent has scored the second most runs in the AL this year and does not need to be fixed. 

The problem from the get go has been the rotation, which was pretty lousy for at least the first month.  But now it's showing signs of life, and the team ERA is dropping.  Bard might not be cut out to be a starter, but he will do until Matsuzaka and/or Cook is ready to return.  Doubront looks like bonafide starter to me.  Lester and Beckett have been all-stars and still are good starters.  Buchholz has not reclaimed his command/control, but two years ago he had a very good year.  If the back problem is behind him, we know he has the ability. 

Let's not make a deal. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The problem with your post here is that it misses the point that it's trending down. There are still questions but there have been enough good signs recently to go forward.

Do you honestly think Floyd or Wandy are not upgrades over Bard or Doubront (or even Buch)?

Do you not think bard in the pen would upgrade that as well?

And to a previous post. I'd stay away from Zito. He's 34 -- I thought the Sox should get younger -- and his ERA in the NL in recent years has been: 4.53, 5.15, 4.03, 4.15 and 5.87. Yeah, he's off to a good start but I'd rather take my chances with the young guys the Sox have.

I did not propose the CC trade for Zito because I have great faith in Zito. It was to save us a ton of money longterm. If we cut Zito, it would still be a good trade for us. However, I do think Zito could be helpful.

I also don't see the need to move Bard back to the pen. The bullpen has settled down and there seems to be depth in the minors and DL. I'd rather see if a young, under-30 guy with  a live arm can do it, rather than go after another older high-priced veteran. And I don't think Floyd would be worth the prospects that the White Sox would want.

My position was to trade Youk, DMac, Punto, Albers, and Atchison for prospects. Flip those prospects and add 1 or 2 of our own for Gavin or Wandy. 

Our pen might look fine now, but we still have too many mediocre pitchers for the back of the pen 3-4 slots. I don't like the idea of waiting until one slumps and then trying to find the right one to take his place for a while. We've already used 18 pitchers and still have Bailey and Dice-K yet to pitch. That's 20 for 12-13 slots.  About 14-15 of those 20 are mediocre or close to it at best. We need more top quality pitchers. Only one can be oin the mound at a time, and having a mediocre one on the mound and 10 more mediocres waiting in the wings is not my idea of championship baseball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]You lost me at Kalish............and CC............ The OF'er should be Ross/Ellsbury/Sweeney w/ Crawford on the bench or better yet, Bay in a platoon mix w/ Sweeney & Ross.........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I can understand you being lost since you usually are. I stated the outfielders should be CC/Jake/Kalish/Ross/Sweeney  versus Byrd/Sweeney/Ross/Nava/DMac
    I did not say who should play regularly...comprehension not a strong suit I see.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]

Second, moonslav seems to have fallen into the trap of thinking Bard will be terrific in the bullpen when he was not only lousy last September but had a 2011 ERA of 3.30.

Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Max, Bard's 2011 ERA was 3.30 because he had a bad September, not in addition to his bad September!  You can't have it both ways.  If ERA is how you want to evaluate Bard's 2011 season, it was 2.10 after the game of 5 September then he had 5 bad games in 20 days.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]First thing I try is to trade Crawford (+4 million per year for the next 3 years) for Bay.  I'd take my chance with Bay plus, essentially the "Crawford $" will be off the books 3 years sooner)...For the Mets, Crawford may be better suited for the NL and that park.  If so, he could help to mitigate the loss of Reyes.... Then, instead of trying to initiate deals, see what kind of offers come in.  Maybe let the market develop that way.  I am sure Ben will get some calls in June when they're still in the cellar 10 GB....but trades I make have to have 2013+ in mind - I think we can try and go for broke in 2013; a little like what we did in 2004 before we have some more turnover....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Why would the Mets do that?  They only have another year and a half with Bay anyway.  Unless the Sox agree to pay half of Crawford's deal, he's not going anywhere.