Do the Sox need to make a trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade?

In Response to Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade? : Jim, outside of the Red Sox world this makes perfect sense but how long have fans been saying the same thing?  We always have key players on the DL and have for years so thats pretty much wishful thinking for this club?
    True but they still need to get back and making any trade IMHO will just either kill the minors or not get us enough.

By the time that happens we could be so far out of the race it won't matter.  Our starting pitchers may be doing a bit better but they still have tons of issues.

The SP has gotten better the past two weeks and may have issues but who is out there that is better that we can sign or even trade for. It is what it is and looking outside right now IMHO is not an option. Then when the guys are coming back it will be close to June and then they will either be buyers or sellers come August.

Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade? : I can understand you being lost since you usually are. I stated the outfielders should be CC/Jake/Kalish/Ross/Sweeney  versus Byrd/Sweeney/Ross/Nava/DMac I did not say who should play regularly...comprehension not a strong suit I see.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Keep up the insults....

You want Kalish to be part of the mix?  A guy who is coming off of major shoulder surgey and hasn't played a game in the ML's for a season and a half? And when he was in the ML's posted an OBP of ~ a mere .300?   And you want him over Nava who is doing quite well so far?  OK then.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade? : Why would the Mets do that?  They only have another year and a half with Bay anyway.  Unless the Sox agree to pay half of Crawford's deal, he's not going anywhere.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

I thought it was more like 3 more years?  I know there's an incentive-based option....But if it is just 1.5 years then you are right - Mets don't need to do that deal.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]First thing I try is to trade Crawford (+4 million per year for the next 3 years) for Bay.  I'd take my chance with Bay plus, essentially the "Crawford $" will be off the books 3 years sooner)...For the Mets, Crawford may be better suited for the NL and that park.  If so, he could help to mitigate the loss of Reyes....
    You can not be serious you expect the NYM to take CC and the whole contract. That is absurd thinking. Would you do it as the NYM GM? Please don't say yes. 

Then, instead of trying to initiate deals, see what kind of offers come in.  Maybe let the market develop that way.  I am sure Ben will get some calls in June when they're still in the cellar 10 GB....but trades I make have to have 2013+ in mind - I think we can try and go for broke in 2013; a little like what we did in 2004 before we have some more turnover....

This is another dumb one. When else would you make trades for 2015. All trades made for players in June would be for the future. BTW going for broke in 2004 was during the season with the trade for OC/DM and one FA major signing CS before the season. Do you live in reality or another world.

Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade? :

I suggest you re-read the post; it was very clear the Sox would have to eat some of the contract.  But keep up the insults and the comments re:  "reading comprehension".....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...Second, moonslav seems to have fallen into the trap of thinking Bard will be terrific in the bullpen when he was not only lousy last September but had a 2011 ERA of 3.30.  The facts are that the bullpen has now pitched very well for 26 games and that Bard seems to have lost both his control and his plus fastball.  A better reliever, Mortensen, is already standing by to be moved back to the Sox when an opening is there.  Behind him are Melancon and Bailey.    If Bard leaves the rotation, he should go back to Pawtucket or onto the DL so the Sox can figure out what is wrong or at least give him a rest....

Bard had a very good 2011 season. ERA is not a good stat to use for relievers.
    Most view WHIP as a better guage for evaluating relief pitchers. Bard had his career best in 2011 at 0.959.

Yes, Bard had a rough September. He had 6 bad outting out of his last 11, but to definitively judge him over this one bad month is being extremely short-sighted. Bard has had a wonderful career as a set-up man with just a few rough patches. Compared to most relief pitchers, his "rough patches" are much less in number.

I was never for making Bard a starter. Moving him to the pen now might be problematic, but I am not writing him off. 

The problem from the get go has been the rotation, which was pretty lousy for at least the first month.  But now it's showing signs of life, and the team ERA is dropping.  Bard might not be cut out to be a starter, but he will do until Matsuzaka and/or Cook is ready to return.  Doubront looks like bonafide starter to me.  Lester and Beckett have been all-stars and still are good starters.  Buchholz has not reclaimed his command/control, but two years ago he had a very good year.  If the back problem is behind him, we know he has the ability.  

Funny how you roast Bard for 6 bad games last September, but are willing to give Buch the benefit of the doubt after 8 starts.

Doubront has a 1.477 WHIP. He is a long way from being a convincing and dependable starter. I like Felix, and expect some good thing from him this year, but we can do better.

We can do better than Buch as well. Hoping he returns to the form from before the injury is all well and good, but there are starters out there that are surer bets.

We are still in nearly last place in team ERA and WHIP. It's hard not to trend upwards after the start we had. I am happy to see our pen doing well for quite some time now, but I do not expect that to last indefinitely. We have too many mediocre pitchers doing well at the same time now. Our starters have looked pretty good for their last 1-2 starts. That's hardly something to rely on. I am certain one of our 5 will continue to struggle or get hurt. I have little confidence in Dice or Cook to lead us anywhere. We need a top quality starter. If our big 3 do come around as we all hope, then the new guy will make us a leading contender. If just 2 of the 3 do, the new guy makes it 3 and we still have a chance.

I think some of you are experiencing too much wishful thinking here. We have way too many mediocre players on our 25 man roster and beyond. We have Youk, Ellsbury, CC, Bailey and Dice-K returning from the DL. I really think it is obvious that we try and trade 2-4 mediocre players for 1-2 better ones. They don't have to be great... just better. We already have Mortensen in AAA. He belongs in the bigs NOW! Melancon may be ready too. They would not be step downs from the bottom of the pen right now. We don't need 10 mediocre pitchers fighting for 5 slots. I'd rather have 6 fighting for the last 3-4 slots. Iggy would not be a step down from Punto. When CC and Ellsbury come back, we'll have more mediocre back-up OF'ers than we'll know what to do with. trade 1 or 2 of them for a low to mid-level prospect. We could let Youk play a little then trade him to a team in need of a corner IF'er. I think we could get a nice prospect for him. I also think Albers, Padilla, Miller and Atchison all are Ok pitchers or picthers with upside, but I don not want any of these guys on the mound when it counts. There are teams that need 2-3 guys in their pen right now. they'd love any 3 of these guys. They'd give us a good prospect or 2 for 2-3 of them. We then flip some of these prospects and 1 or 2 of our own for a serious upgrade. We go from 10 mediocre pitchers to 6 or 7. We'd not even notice, but we would notice the fact that we have one more quality arm in the rotation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Do you honestly think Floyd or Wandy are not upgrades over Bard or Doubront (or even Buch)?

First, at what cost. Second, Floyd is 29, and Wandy is 33. You rave about the Rays and their home-grown young pitching. The Sox have the chance to have that themselves. You also often point out about the advantages of pitchers going from the AL to the NL, so how do you know Wandy's sutff would translate to the AL. I'm staying away from Wandy, and Floyd would be too expensive.

At some point, you have to give your guys the chance to develop. Bard and Doubrant both have shown enough to be given that chance. Buch -- we'll see if he can continue to bounce back to where he was prior to the injury.

Do you not think bard in the pen would upgrade that as well?

Maybe, but first, there are no guarantees. Look at the end of last year. Also, even during the times when some were drooling over him to replace Papelbon, he had more than his share of hiccups. With the problems the Sox had last year in starting pitching, at this point, he's show enough positives to go forward as a starter. I had problems with him as a starter because I didn't know if he had enough pitches. He seems to have that. He just needs to control is fastball better, and I think he could be a three or better starter.

My position was to trade Youk, DMac, Punto, Albers, and Atchison for prospects. Flip those prospects and add 1 or 2 of our own for Gavin or Wandy. 

What kind of prospects do you really think you can get for a 33-year-old, often-injured, high-priced Youk (although this being a contract year does make him a little more tradeable), a player in DMac who likely will be released when guys come off the DL, a utility IF and a 36-year-old reliever. I don't think you'd get anything worthwhile that you'd be able to use to get a Floyd w/o having to part with a couple of good prospects of your own. And I wouldn't trade any prospects for a 33-year-old pitcher, so I'm staying away from Wandy.

Our pen might look fine now, but we still have too many mediocre pitchers ...

Who do you think make up bullpens? Mediocre pitchers for the most part. That's why they're in the bullpen. Bullpens are a crpshoot (Bard last year). There are never any guarantees. How many times do you see one team dump a reliever only to see him excel with another team; or acquire a "good" arm only to see him bomb. That's why quantity is good. The more I see of this pen, the more I like it, especially once Bailey comes back. I wouldn't close my eyes in trying to find a good power/strikeout pitcher to come in and get that strikeout when needed, but those are hard to find. And before you mention Bard, at this point, I'd rather see if he can develop into a long-term starter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

do we need to make a trade? heck yes. we need a reliable front of the rotation starter. neither beckett or lester are aces. they are both number 2 pitchers, buchholz is a 4, and bard/doubront/dice k can be the 5 (bard should go to the pen when dice comes back, trade doubront in a deal for a starter). The guy we need to go after is zach grienke. I very much doubt the phillies trade cole hamels, so grienke is easily the best pitcher who will likely be available at the deadline given how bad milwaukee is doing. (16-24) What would it take to land grienke is the question, but i think something like this could get the job done:

boston gets:

SP Zach Grienke

Milwaukee gets:

SP Anthony Ranuado
    SP Felix Doubront
    1B Lars Anderson
    OF Brandon Jacobs

The sox would get the ace pitcher they need while milwaukee would get a top pitching prospect in ranuado, another quality pitcher with upside in doubront, a 1B of the future is lars anderson and a high upside outfield prospect in brandon jacobs. Another scenario that could unfold is a 3 team deal in which youk is dealt to someone like the d-backs for prospects and then those prospects plus some of the sox prospects go to milwaukee for grienke. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade? : Keep up the insults.... You want Kalish to be part of the mix?  A guy who is coming off of major shoulder surgey and hasn't played a game in the ML's for a season and a half? And when he was in the ML's posted an OBP of ~ a mere .300?   And you want him over Nava who is doing quite well so far?  OK then.......
    Yes I would since he is a better defensive OF and can play all 3 positions as well as an all around upside greater than Nava. Has hit better than Nava through out his career. And at 23 versus Nava's 29 my answer is YES

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade? : As stated before you make a statement based upon what you think not what is fact. For that you are a pinhead.

nothing but insults

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do the Sox need to make a trade? : Yes I would since he is a better defensive OF and can play all 3 positions as well as an all around upside greater than Nava. Has hit better than Nava through out his career. And at 23 versus Nava's 29 my answer is YES

you've proved my point, thank you

that's it w/ you  - Best of Luck to you though!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Moonslav, et al, this is a spirited discussion and I freely admit my reluctance to trade could be dead wrong. Best part about this thread is we will get to see what happens. If Middlebrooks is out of the mini-slump, Youk could go on the trading block. Or not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

It's also possible for the Sox to make a "smaller" trade - someone like Joe Suanders.  Won't cost too much and can help the rotation esp if Dice K isn't really coming back....Could help them make a run for the 5th playoff spot. Otherwise, really just focus on 2013 and beyond......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Do you honestly think Floyd or Wandy are not upgrades over Bard or Doubront (or even Buch)?

First, at what cost. Second, Floyd is 29, and Wandy is 33. You rave about the Rays and their home-grown young pitching. The Sox have the chance to have that themselves. You also often point out about the advantages of pitchers going from the AL to the NL, so how do you know Wandy's sutff would translate to the AL. I'm staying away from Wandy, and Floyd would be too expensive.

Nobody knows how anyone is going to pitch in the future, but the chances are Wandy or Floyd will do better than the worst of our starters: hence it would be an upgrade.

The fact that wandy and Floyd are high priced and near the ends of their deals makes their cost not as high as I think you believe it might be.

At some point, you have to give your guys the chance to develop. Bard and Doubrant both have shown enough to be given that chance. Buch -- we'll see if he can continue to bounce back to where he was prior to the injury.

Yes, wishful thinking. It could work, but I'm pretty sure Floyd will do better.

Do you not think bard in the pen would upgrade that as well?

Maybe, but first, there are no guarantees. Look at the end of last year. Also, even during the times when some were drooling over him to replace Papelbon, he had more than his share of hiccups. With the problems the Sox had last year in starting pitching, at this point, he's show enough positives to go forward as a starter. I had problems with him as a starter because I didn't know if he had enough pitches. He seems to have that. He just needs to control is fastball better, and I think he could be a three or better starter.

We agree here, and I wish they never made him a starter.

My position was to trade Youk, DMac, Punto, Albers, and Atchison for prospects. Flip those prospects and add 1 or 2 of our own for Gavin or Wandy. 

What kind of prospects do you really think you can get for a 33-year-old, often-injured, high-priced Youk (although this being a contract year does make him a little more tradeable), a player in DMac who likely will be released when guys come off the DL, a utility IF and a 36-year-old reliever. I don't think you'd get anything worthwhile that you'd be able to use to get a Floyd w/o having to part with a couple of good prospects of your own. And I wouldn't trade any prospects for a 33-year-old pitcher, so I'm staying away from Wandy.

I think a team like SF might give a nice prospect for Youk. On another thread, mentioned trading Youk, Albers and Miller for Sergio Romo (3 years of control) and a salary dump (A Huff who might be cut). The money is about even.

Our pen might look fine now, but we still have too many mediocre pitchers ...

Who do you think make up bullpens? Mediocre pitchers for the most part. That's why they're in the bullpen. Bullpens are a crpshoot (Bard last year). There are never any guarantees. How many times do you see one team dump a reliever only to see him excel with another team; or acquire a "good" arm only to see him bomb. That's why quantity is good. The more I see of this pen, the more I like it, especially once Bailey comes back. I wouldn't close my eyes in trying to find a good power/strikeout pitcher to come in and get that strikeout when needed, but those are hard to find. And before you mention Bard, at this point, I'd rather see if he can develop into a long-term starter.

So, you don't think we can try to get a better relief pitcher than having about 13 mediocre guys fighting for 3 slots?  When Bailey comes back (and maybe Dice-K), we will have several MLB caliber mediocre relievers wasting in the minors and a few in the bigs, when we could have 1 more qualiaty guy by trading 2 or 3 for 1.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's the post:

I really think Youk & DMac will be the odd men out. I wonder if the Sox will give Youk a legitimate chance to play everyday, even if just to showcase him for a deadline trade.

If everyone is healthy, we have a lot of legitimate MLB players:

3 Cs: Salty, Shopp & Lava
    2 1B: AGon & Gomez/Lars
    1 2B: Pedey & Ciriaco
    2 3B: Youk & Middlebrooks
    2 SS: Aviles & Iggy
    4 LF: CC, Ross, DMac & Nava
    2 CF: Ellsbury & Byrd
    1 RF: Sweeney 
    1 DH: Ortiz

This is 19 guys for 13 slots. Gomez, Anderson, Iggy, & Lavarnway can safely stay in AAA, and DMac and/or Byrd could be dealt or DFA'd to leave us with a solid and deep 13, but that would leave us with a bunch of poor fielding OF'ers (CC, Ross & Nava) all best suited for LF. Perhaps Nava will be sent back down and Byrd will stay.

If Bailey and Dice-K return to form, and everyone is healthy,we really have too many mediocre pitchers for the last slots on the staff:

3- 100% sure 25-man roster pitchers if healthy:
    Beckett, Lester & Aceves 

6- Close to 100% sure 25-man roster pitchers:
    Bailey, Bard, Buch, Doubront, Morales, R Hill

8- Mediocre bottom of the pen pitchers:
    Matsusaka, Atchison, Mortensen, Tazawa, Albers, Padilla, Miller & Melancon

6- Projects/Gambles of prospects perhaps ready for MLB:
    Cook, Germano, Duckworth, Mathis, Olendorf, Wilson

If Dice-K makes the 25-man roster, that gives us 10 pitchers. That leaves 7 Mediocre pitchers and 6 projects left to fight for 2-3 slots. While it's true "you can never have too much pitching", I don't think that applies to "too many" mediocre pitchers fighting for a couple of spots.

I'd like to see us try and find a way to deal a few of these guys for a much better upgrade giving us 11 solid pitchers and maybe 7 guys fighting for 1-2 slots instead of 10 solid and 13 fighting for the last 2-3 slots.

Sox4ever

Re: A Realistic Look at 2012: Part II

posted at 5/20/2012 2:31 PM EDT
    First: 9/27/2005
    Last: 5/20/2012
    Here's one idea:

Trade:
    Youkilis ($12m + $13m in 2013 or $1m buyout)
    Albers ($1.075M) 
    Miller ($1.04M). 
    [If they want Punto ($3M/2), we could abide.] 

For:
    Sergio Romo ($1.5M + 2 arb years)
    A. Huff ($10M + $2M buyout in 2013) [Cut Huff if he won't go to AAA.]

The money is about even for 2012.

We get a solid relief pitcher under control for 3 years and clear up 2 slots for Middlebrooks and Mortensen.

SF gets some needed corner IF offense and 2 innings eating relief pitchers as well as dumping a useless Huff and his contract.

I'd like to include CC and maybe Dice-K for Zito (to save money not because I like Zito), but that's another story.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Phillies and Indians are "monitoring" Kevin Youkilis (back) during his rehab assignment.

Both teams are obvious fits, as the Indians have Casey Kotchman and Jack Hannahan at their corner infield spots, and the Phillies have gotten very little out of Placido Polanco. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported earlier Sunday that the Diamondbacks could have interest in Youk, as well. The Red Sox might be willing to deal the veteran after the emergence of top prospect Will Middlebrooks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Youk will only be due $4M after the deadline with another $1M buyout for 2013.

If he can show his bat has returned to even 80 or 90% of the Youk-of-old, then I think we can get something useful for him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

I agree with the original poster that the Sox will likely stand pat or make a minor deal at the trade deadline.  This is all dependent of course on where they are in the standings at the all-star break and the health of the returning players as well as the current ones.  This season is shaping up as one in which it won't really matter much what this team does or does not do at the trade deadline.  Currently, they are a marginal playoff team at best (wildcard contender) and a third place team in the division at worst with fewer than 90 wins.  

It's fun to speculate on conversations like this in May, but at the end of the day it will not matter much what they do or fail to do in terms of trades and roster decisions in the future as players get healthy.  As has always been the case under this ownership group, the team has been often competitive and always entertaining.  Nothing has changed from one year to the next.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A trade like Youk, Albers and Miller for Sergio Romo and A. Huff would give us a better shot this year and make us stronger for 2013 and 2014.

There are many similar deals that could take place.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Phillies and Indians are "monitoring" Kevin Youkilis (back) during his rehab assignment.

Both teams are obvious fits, as the Indians have Casey Kotchman and Jack Hannahan at their corner infield spots, and the Phillies have gotten very little out of Placido Polanco. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reported earlier Sunday that the Diamondbacks could have interest in Youk, as well. The Red Sox might be willing to deal the veteran after the emergence of top prospect Will Middlebrooks.

Hard to speculate on what we might get in return.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe...

Trade:
    Youk- 12:$12M, 13:$13M club option ($1M buyout)
    Buch- 12:$3.5M, 13:$5.5M, 14:$7.7M, 15:$12M, 16:$13M club option ($0.245M 
    Ross- 12: $3M
    Kalish/Gomez or Ranaudo/Anderson

+$2M in cash to even out 2012 cost after deadline.

For:
    Justin Upton- 12:$6.75M, 13:$9.75M, 14:$14.25M, 15:$14.5M
    Joe Saunders- 12: $6M (FA in 2013)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Moon, Zito is actually having a pretty good year with four or five good starts that have everyone surprised and he's actually getting some applause as he leaves games.  The young catcher Hector Sanchez that I've been touting this spring is his personal catcher, and some are saying that maybe Sanchez has had a positive effect on him.  I add this here to support your idea that Zito might actually be of some help.  I recommend we try to get the catcher too.  He is a natural hitter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

This conversation went exactly whre I hoped it would....great points on both side of the discussion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

cleveland has been mentioned as a trade partner for the sox as they have an obvious need for youk and have been monitoring his minor league progress. In terms of what we could get back from cleveland for youk, what would guys think about proposing a youk for jimenez trade? perhaps we toss in a prospect or 2. We would be getting a potential front of he rotation starter who has struggled but could very well turn it around. what do you guys think?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from daveymo1234. Show daveymo1234's posts

[QUOTE]First thing I try is to trade Crawford (+4 million per year for the next 3 years) for Bay.  I'd take my chance with Bay plus, essentially the "Crawford $" will be off the books 3 years sooner)...For the Mets, Crawford may be better suited for the NL and that park.  If so, he could help to mitigate the loss of Reyes.... Then, instead of trying to initiate deals, see what kind of offers come in.  Maybe let the market develop that way.  I am sure Ben will get some calls in June when they're still in the cellar 10 GB....but trades I make have to have 2013+ in mind - I think we can try and go for broke in 2013; a little like what we did in 2004 before we have some more turnover....

Andre...do you truly belive that the Sox will be in last place 10GB in June?  If you're a betting man I'll take some of that action...even if you say June 1 that's still a bold statement but I'll take you up on it...let's say a gentleman's bet winner can say I told you so...my bet is come Aug. 1 we'll be in the thick of the Wildcard and within shouting distance of 1st place...any other predictions out there?