Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?

In Response to Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?:
    [QUOTE]Varitek was here to be Beckett's personal catcher....Varitek, thanks but it is time to go. You do know the team went 20-10 in games VTek caught pitchers not named Josh, right? You do know that VTek caught more innings as a back-up than 28 other team's #2 catcher last year, right? You do know that VTek had an OPS better than nearly half the starting MLB catchers last year, right? OK, just checking...
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying that VTek hasn't had a great career with the Red Sox.  But let's face it, what we have is a 8th or 9th hitter in the batting order who no longer strikes fear in any opposing pitcher.  

And if you want to put up statistics, how about the 26 AB's he had last September and batted a whopping .077.  

Yeah, yeah, I also know the entire team failed in September but I don't think VTek is the answer in the imediate future.

That's JMNSHO. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

There's no room for sentimentality in sports.    Varitek and Wakefield have passed their times as players and would take up 2 roster spots.
    The decision Lucchino / Cherington have to make is to select a date where both will be given a day at Fenway in their honor with pre-game ceremonies.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

tek, and wake should take the other fatboy pitcher with him and his 17 mil kiss for winning 13 games last yr and blowing the playoffs for us

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

can slosh buckett even pitch without his binky?  what if the new catcher wont let him pitch what he wants or doesnt look the other way when he decides to drink/eat in the dugout instead of watching????

the captain must be resigned!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Tek is only 3 years from his last divorce and has been making only $2 million per year since.  Not that $2 million is chump change, but relatively speaking, he doesn't have any money.  He should have followed in Posada's foot steps and juiced up last year, hoping to cash in on a $10 million deal for this year.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

So sad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

We all deserve better than this small market pennywise bland yawner of an indecisive off season. 

Oh well, at least Henry is investing in his soccer team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Vairtek's real value is above the neck, IMO. 

Below the neck is showing some wear.  As do we all at a certain age.  Nonetheless, he can be a backup. Somewhere, on some team, perhaps in a far off piece of the USA, he could be a good/great bullpen coach or even a pitching coach (see "Duncan, Dave").  That is, if he wants to be - "wants to be" is the conditional phrase.

Wake could still be useful, depending on how the other assorted spare parts look in Spring Training and how his own back feels. Problem is, we won't know how they look until sometime in early March.  Ask Wake how he feels. Go ahead. Like every other veteran looking for one last shot, he will tell you that he is in the best shape of his life.

Which always begs the questions, why did you wait this long to be in your best shape?

Now, with my faithful sidekick SinceYaz (seated right), let's all look in my crystal ball for a prediction:

Let's see:  Ben Cherington will offer them both non-guaranteed minor league contracts and invitations to Spring Training. Both will decline and try to latch on somewhere else. 

Tek will play a few games for SEA and CWS before his release in late June, prior to the trading deadline.  Wakefield will try out for the Orioles and the Mets (who really could do worse, as scary as that seems), but no contract offer will be forthcoming, so he will retire.

Ben Cherington will bring them back in 2013, giving them each one day contracts a la Nomar, so they can officially retire as Red Sox. The organization will do this right - a day in their honor, plaques. free lunch, highlight reels.

After that, it gets fuzzy - fuzzier than these predictions, which are downright foggy.

But I digress.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this?:
    Varitek was here to be Beckett's personal catcher....Varitek, thanks but it is time to go. You do know the team went 20-10 in games VTek caught pitchers not named Josh, right? You do know that VTek caught more innings as a back-up than 28 other team's #2 catcher last year, right? You do know that VTek had an OPS better than nearly half the starting MLB catchers last year, right? OK, just checking...
    Posted by moonslav59

I'm not saying that VTek hasn't had a great career with the Red Sox.  But let's face it, what we have is a 8th or 9th hitter in the batting order who no longer strikes fear in any opposing pitcher.  

And if you want to put up statistics, how about the 26 AB's he had last September and batted a whopping .077.  

Yeah, yeah, I also know the entire team failed in September but I don't think VTek is the answer in the imediate future.

I don't either, but you seem to be missing my point. 14 starting MLB catchers hit worse than our back-up catcher last year, but there have been over a hundred threads bashing VTek over the past year for his poor hitting (and more). There is only a handful of MLB that "strike fear" into a pitcher. Expecting our back-up to do that is totally unrealistic.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The defense was actually fine behind him. 95% of the unearned runs while he pitchers were due to Passed Balls and the knuckler. It's not what's behind him, it's him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

VMart caught him fine, so I guess you don't give one bit of the blame to Salty. I get it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Where did you get that 95% figure?  Did Bullwinkle pull that one out of his hat ("watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!")? 

How about the earned runs?  The slow rollers and dink hits and seeing eye hits that got past the left side of the infield, which had one of the poorest range factors in all of baseball?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

[QUOTE]We all deserve better than this small market pennywise bland yawner of an indecisive off season.  Oh well, at least Henry is investing in his soccer team.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

Yep, Yankee fans and Philly fans deserve better also. This phobia about the luxury tax and revenue sharing kickback is just a media outright lie. It can't be real since only trolls have a grasp on reality.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Varitek has been unable to stand up, for the finish to the final two seasons. Wastefield isn't effective, at all, first half or second half.

So far, so good, it appears my campaign to get rid of these old begging bums is likely to end up successful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

Your campaign to stop Harold Stassen to stop running for President also worked out well. Congrats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brown615. Show Brown615's posts

I love these two guys.  Tek got bad advice from his agent and held out for almost 2 years - development years.  But, he went to Ga. Tech, where I went, and ended up with the Sox - my lifelong team.  Plus, I get to harass my brother who is a Seatle fan about the great trade that brought Tek and Lowe to Boston.  I think he is done though and should take the Sox off the hook so they can truly honor him.

I lived in Pittsburgh when Wake started and then moved on to the Sox, where he has been a good pitcher for years.  He also went thru Augusta, and I live 20 miles from there now. As I remember, although his overall record was not great last year, era, etc, he left several games in the last half of the season, in the lead and the reliefers blew the game.  If they can find the room, and that is questionable, he might eat some innings and get that record for wins.  Real tough decision.  Likewise, he might take the Sox off the hook and retire and be recognized.  If he keeps in shape and we have excessive injuries, he might get a chance later in the year to help.
    Tough decisions for true competitors!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

If he keeps in shape

A very bad joke, when it comes to the beer gut paunced 45 year old goof ball mixer.

Easy decision, and the last thing the team needs is another Tim Wastefield chasing some cumalitive record of most wins to go with most losses.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I love the way the Yankees kicked old Bernie Williams to the curb. Old prideful washed up professional athletes leave no choice but to kick them to the curb. Only Borg and a few others know how to walk away from the game, gracefully.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]  If he keeps in shape A very bad joke, when it comes to the beer gut paunced 45 year old goof ball mixer. Easy decision, and the last thing the team needs is another Tim Wastefield chasing some cumalitive record of most wins to go with most losses.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Wake is a chain smoker - FACT

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Wakefield would, I believe, sign for $1M. We have no proven 4th or 5th starter. He is at least in competition with the trash heap Ben signed over the winter and he knows the AL East. As far as age, lets look at the reitrement age of some other known knuckleballers: 1. Phil Niekro 48 2. Hoyt Wilhelm 49 3. Ted Lyons 45 4. Joe Noekro 43 5. Charlie Hough 46 6. Jesse Haines 45 A lot of you are making it sound like Wakefield is an extraordinary case at his age to be playing. First of all, the knuckleball puts little strain on the arm or shoulder. It can be thrown into the 50s if need be. Second, don't pass up a proven pitcher until you are positive that the MASH brigade will yield someone who can start. (Bard has never been a good starter at the major league or minor league level) Third, Dice K should be back by June (or so) Wake could act as a placeholder for him until them. Wake is traditionally better in the 1st half of the season. He could be somewhat effective until Dice returns. As for Tek. He has just about had it. I wish the Sox could find a coaching job for him. He knows how to prepare and has an exceptional knowledge of the players in the league, especially the AL East. He could be a great mentor for Salty, Shoppach, and Lavarnway this year, just not as a player. 
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]

Completely agree.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

When a player is as pitiful as Wastefield, calling him a "civic icon" is about all there is for a good ole boy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

puts his addictions over his health, and thus hurts the team... not any different than being fat and eating fried foods when you are in the clubhouse

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do Varitek and Wakefield deserve better than this? : Don't forget Wake is a chain smoker - FACT
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

So was your president. So are a lot of athletes. Better than being a drug user.
    Most athletes, especially ballplayers, use tobacco. What's your point? That you can't be a smoker and be in shape?
    Honestly Burrito you are starting to sound more and more like HWJ. It's actually getting harder to distinguish between your posts and his!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

A) WITF is HWJ?

B) your support of Wakefield is sad indeed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]puts his addictions over his health, and thus hurts the team... not any different than being fat and eating fried foods when you are in the clubhouse
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Same as regular folk.  Whe you get fat, or smoke, or don't exercise, you are putting your additions over your health, and that hurts the family, and in some cases, your job.

I assume that you're in pretty good shape.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Back on topic, I think there is no shot that Tek is on the team.  I;d like to see Wake hang out in AAA for when we inevitably need him, but doubt he'd take that assignment.