Do you agree? Jeter's milestone should happen in NY

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FFGlouc. Show FFGlouc's posts

Do you agree? Jeter's milestone should happen in NY

by Jon Paul Morosi/FoxSports
    Phil Garner is an expert enabler of fan-friendly baseball history.

He managed two icons at the time of their 3,000th career hit: Milwaukee’s Robin Yount in 1992, Houston’s Craig Biggio in 2007. Both times, the milestone happened at home.

When asked over the holiday weekend if that was by design, Garner responded with several seconds of laughter.

“Hell, yeah!” he finally said into the telephone. “Are you kidding me?”

OK, maybe that was a stupid question. But it’s also a timely one, in light of the resumption of Derek Jeter’s quest for 3,000 in Cleveland on Monday night.

Would the Yankees’ decision-makers (baseball and business) prefer that Jeter’s moment take place at Yankee Stadium, as opposed to Cleveland’s Progressive Field or Toronto’s Rogers Centre?

At the risk of being repetitive: Hell, yeah!

See which players earned a starting nod at the July 12 All-Star Game.

If Jeter gets three or four hits during the first two games in Cleveland, I fully expect Yankees manager Joe Girardi to rest his shortstop in Wednesday’s series finale, thus giving him the best chance to make history in the Bronx.

“I would say that would be a pretty good guess,” Garner said, chuckling again. “And there’s nothing wrong with that.”

I agree wholeheartedly, for two primary reasons.

1. The Yankees overpaid Jeter last offseason (three years, $51 million) in part because they wanted him to become the first player to achieve 3,000 hits while wearing the pinstripes. They have the right to make reasonable accommodations for that to happen at Yankee Stadium.

2. There is precedent for Jeter to take one day off this week. When Alex Rodriguez (a superstar infielder of similar age) returned from a calf injury last September, he started two straight games before appearing as a pinch hitter in the third.

Really, the Yankees have little choice but to close their eyes and hope that the statistical probabilities hold true. Jeter is hitting .260 this year. He gets roughly one hit for every four official at-bats — in other words, one hit per game.

He’s a handful of hits away. The math should work out: A pinch-hit appearance on Wednesday . . . one hit on Thursday . . . one hit on Friday . . . one hit on Saturday . . . a big party on Sunday.

As Yankees star Derek Jeter approaches the 3,000-hit milestone, take a look back at the top 5 plays of his career.

At least, that’s the best-case scenario.

The not-quite-best-case scenario: Jeter struggles to regain his timing after the DL stay, and the All-American milestone for the All-American player bounces onto an artificial surface in Canada — much like Tony Gwynn in Montreal 12 years ago.

Achieving the 3,000-hit milestone under duress is nothing new. Consider the case of Rickey Henderson. His came on the final day of the 2001 season — when it was uncertain whether he would return the next year. “Now that’s a lot of pressure,” said Bruce Bochy, Henderson’s manager with the Padres that year. (Naturally, Rickey played two more seasons and retired at 44.)

Logistically, there’s only so much that the Yankees can do — but with this player, and this team, the usual sensibilities are forgotten like the amount of your last grocery bill.

“Oh, if they don’t work it so that he gets that hit in New York, boy, the papers are going to grill ‘em,” Garner said. “They’ll have no mercy. They’ll be all over Girardi.”

Garner narrowly avoided a similar rebuke with Yount. He knocked out No. 3,000 on the final day of a three-game homestand. Yount’s timing was exquisite, considering the Brewers’ next seven games were on the road.

If Yount hadn’t blooped that single into right field on Sept. 9, 1992, the Milwaukee fans would have had to watch the career Brewer make history on TV.

“He was going to have to play,” Garner said. “If it didn’t happen that day, he was probably going to get the hit on the road. It would not have been good for Robin to hold him out for seven days. That’s basically what I remember.

“We all wanted Robin to do it at home, but I don’t remember him thinking about it too much. I tell you, those guys are special — Robin and Biggio. They’re such easy guys to manage. You don’t really manage them. You just stay out of their way and let them play.

“These guys are performers. Give them a stage, tell them what needs to be done, and they do it. That’s what Robin did. That’s what Biggio did. We came back from a road trip, and Biggio was (three) away. He got five in the first game. When it was over, we joked with him, ‘You know, you could have strung this out, and we would have had sellouts for four days.’ ”

Garner freely admits he finessed Biggio’s schedule leading up to the landmark hit. The Astros took a three-city trip as Biggio approached 3,000, and he started only two of the final five games.

Michael Cuddyer tells www.foxsportsnorth.com/06/14/11/Cuddyer-Up-close-views-of-milestones-are/landing_twins.html?blockID=532614&feedID=5930">FOX Sports North what it's like on the field when a player reaches a milestone.

The big hit — hits, actually — came on June 28, 2007. No one has reached 3,000 since. Almost exactly four years later, it’s Jeter’s turn.

“No question, we were setting him up to do it at home,” Garner said. “It was unspoken and generally understood (with the front office) that we wanted it to happen that way. These guys (Yount and Biggio) played their whole careers in the same town. It’s important that they do it in front of the hometown crowd. If there’s a way to do it without besmirching the integrity of the game, by maneuvering around the off days, then you should.”

Of course, it doesn’t always work out that way.

Minnesota’s Paul Molitor played every inning of a nine-game homestand — and batted .314 — but joined the club on the first day of the subsequent trip. Fifteen years later, Twins chairman Jerry Bell remembers: “I think they walked him three or four times. Very sad.”

And there wasn’t much the Padres could do with Gwynn in ’99. He arrived at 3,000 smack in the middle of an 11-game swing through St. Louis, Montreal and New York. “No disappointment,” said Kevin Towers, then the San Diego general manager. “Our hope was that he would do it in St. Louis (on the same night as Mark McGwire’s 500th home run). We certainly didn’t want to sit him in Montreal, and Tony wouldn’t have wanted that, anyway.”

That’s true of Jeter, too. He hates missing games. It’s absurd to suggest he would pull himself from the lineup to ensure the most theatrical circumstances possible. As of right now, he has a chance to do it at Yankee Stadium. Great players have a way of making the great moments happen.

And let’s not forget why the Yankees are playing these games at all.

“They’ve got to win,” Garner said. “It’s tougher (to script it) when you’re trying to win, but it’s also easier in a way. If someone questions you, just say, ‘Look, we’ve got to win. This is not the Derek Jeter 3,000 Hit Show. When the season is over, we want to raise the flag. The objective is to win, and I need Jeter in there.’”

It all sounds like a Broadway script. Now it’s time for The Captain to make it happen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Do you agree? Jeter's milestone should happen in NY

it should happen where it happens...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Do you agree? Jeter's milestone should happen in NY:
    [QUOTE]by Jon Paul Morosi/FoxSports Phil Garner is an expert enabler of fan-friendly baseball history.    He managed two icons at the time of their 3,000th career hit: Milwaukee’s Robin Yount in 1992, Houston’s Craig Biggio in 2007. Both times, the milestone happened at home. When asked over the holiday weekend if that was by design, Garner responded with several seconds of laughter. “Hell, yeah!” he finally said into the telephone. “Are you kidding me?” OK, maybe that was a stupid question. But it’s also a timely one, in light of the resumption of Derek Jeter ’s quest for 3,000 in Cleveland on Monday night. Would the Yankees ’ decision-makers (baseball and business) prefer that Jeter’s moment take place at Yankee Stadium, as opposed to Cleveland’s Progressive Field or Toronto’s Rogers Centre? At the risk of being repetitive: Hell, yeah!     See which players earned a starting nod at the July 12 All-Star Game .   If Jeter gets three or four hits during the first two games in Cleveland, I fully expect Yankees manager Joe Girardi to rest his shortstop in Wednesday’s series finale, thus giving him the best chance to make history in the Bronx. “I would say that would be a pretty good guess,” Garner said, chuckling again. “And there’s nothing wrong with that.” I agree wholeheartedly, for two primary reasons. 1. The Yankees overpaid Jeter last offseason (three years, $51 million) in part because they wanted him to become the first player to achieve 3,000 hits while wearing the pinstripes. They have the right to make reasonable accommodations for that to happen at Yankee Stadium. 2. There is precedent for Jeter to take one day off this week. When Alex Rodriguez (a superstar infielder of similar age) returned from a calf injury last September, he started two straight games before appearing as a pinch hitter in the third. Really, the Yankees have little choice but to close their eyes and hope that the statistical probabilities hold true. Jeter is hitting .260 this year. He gets roughly one hit for every four official at-bats — in other words, one hit per game. He’s a handful of hits away. The math should work out: A pinch-hit appearance on Wednesday . . . one hit on Thursday . . . one hit on Friday . . . one hit on Saturday . . . a big party on Sunday.     As Yankees star Derek Jeter approaches the 3,000-hit milestone, take a look back at the top 5 plays of his career .   At least, that’s the best-case scenario. The not-quite-best-case scenario: Jeter struggles to regain his timing after the DL stay, and the All-American milestone for the All-American player bounces onto an artificial surface in Canada — much like Tony Gwynn in Montreal 12 years ago. Achieving the 3,000-hit milestone under duress is nothing new. Consider the case of Rickey Henderson. His came on the final day of the 2001 season — when it was uncertain whether he would return the next year. “Now that’s a lot of pressure,” said Bruce Bochy, Henderson’s manager with the Padres that year. (Naturally, Rickey played two more seasons and retired at 44.) Logistically, there’s only so much that the Yankees can do — but with this player, and this team, the usual sensibilities are forgotten like the amount of your last grocery bill. “Oh, if they don’t work it so that he gets that hit in New York, boy, the papers are going to grill ‘em,” Garner said. “They’ll have no mercy. They’ll be all over Girardi.” Garner narrowly avoided a similar rebuke with Yount. He knocked out No. 3,000 on the final day of a three-game homestand. Yount’s timing was exquisite, considering the Brewers’ next seven games were on the road. If Yount hadn’t blooped that single into right field on Sept. 9, 1992, the Milwaukee fans would have had to watch the career Brewer make history on TV.     “He was going to have to play,” Garner said. “If it didn’t happen that day, he was probably going to get the hit on the road. It would not have been good for Robin to hold him out for seven days. That’s basically what I remember. “We all wanted Robin to do it at home, but I don’t remember him thinking about it too much. I tell you, those guys are special — Robin and Biggio. They’re such easy guys to manage. You don’t really manage them. You just stay out of their way and let them play. “These guys are performers. Give them a stage, tell them what needs to be done, and they do it. That’s what Robin did. That’s what Biggio did. We came back from a road trip, and Biggio was (three) away. He got five in the first game. When it was over, we joked with him, ‘You know, you could have strung this out, and we would have had sellouts for four days.’ ” Garner freely admits he finessed Biggio’s schedule leading up to the landmark hit. The Astros took a three-city trip as Biggio approached 3,000, and he started only two of the final five games.   Michael Cuddyer tells www.foxsportsnorth.com/06/14/11/Cuddyer-Up-close-views-of-milestones-are/landing_twins.html?blockID=532614&feedID=5930 " /> FOX Sports North what it's like on the field when a player reaches a milestone.   The big hit — hits , actually — came on June 28, 2007. No one has reached 3,000 since. Almost exactly four years later, it’s Jeter’s turn. “No question, we were setting him up to do it at home,” Garner said. “It was unspoken and generally understood (with the front office) that we wanted it to happen that way. These guys (Yount and Biggio) played their whole careers in the same town. It’s important that they do it in front of the hometown crowd. If there’s a way to do it without besmirching the integrity of the game, by maneuvering around the off days, then you should.” Of course, it doesn’t always work out that way. Minnesota’s Paul Molitor played every inning of a nine-game homestand — and batted .314 — but joined the club on the first day of the subsequent trip. Fifteen years later, Twins chairman Jerry Bell remembers: “I think they walked him three or four times. Very sad.” And there wasn’t much the Padres could do with Gwynn in ’99. He arrived at 3,000 smack in the middle of an 11-game swing through St. Louis, Montreal and New York. “No disappointment,” said Kevin Towers, then the San Diego general manager. “Our hope was that he would do it in St. Louis (on the same night as Mark McGwire’s 500th home run). We certainly didn’t want to sit him in Montreal, and Tony wouldn’t have wanted that, anyway.”     That’s true of Jeter, too. He hates missing games. It’s absurd to suggest he would pull himself from the lineup to ensure the most theatrical circumstances possible. As of right now, he has a chance to do it at Yankee Stadium. Great players have a way of making the great moments happen. And let’s not forget why the Yankees are playing these games at all. “They’ve got to win,” Garner said. “It’s tougher (to script it) when you’re trying to win, but it’s also easier in a way. If someone questions you, just say, ‘Look, we’ve got to win. This is not the Derek Jeter 3,000 Hit Show. When the season is over, we want to raise the flag. The objective is to win, and I need Jeter in there.’” It all sounds like a Broadway script. Now it’s time for The Captain to make it happen.
    Posted by FFGlouc[/QUOTE]

Somewhere deep in the Sahara would be my pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree? Jeter's milestone should happen in NY:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Do you agree? Jeter's milestone should happen in NY : Somewhere deep in the Sahara would be my pick.
    Posted by niz-58[/QUOTE] the infielder would have to make a hell of a pick on that infield...Tongue out

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

[QUOTE]it should happen where it happens...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Should he deliberately not hit the ball while playing on the road, so that he can guarantee - as much as he can guarantee  - getting a hit at the Holodeck - i mean, the new Yankee Stadium?

It will happen where it happens, when it happens. If it should happen.

And when it happens, it will be good for the Yankees and good for baseball.

Here endeth the lesson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

If he plays tonight - I hope he gets the 4 hits and we are done with it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]If he plays tonight - I hope he gets the 4 hits and we are done with it.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I'm personally hoping this drags on for another month or so.  ;-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

Absolutly .This guy is the class of mlb.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

No doubt... its embarrassing that he is playing so poorly that the question to sit him during a road trip with the excuse of saving his 3,000 hit for the home crowd is presented.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

No thanks Kimmi - I don't think I could handle reading another Jeter article from Lupica and Sherman and I know I certainly am done listening to Michael Kay on this subject. Let it be done once and for all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't think its important where it happens ... as long as it doesn't happen in Fenway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

I wouldn't be too upset if it carried over to next season.

Tongue out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Instead of milestones,I rather see him get kidney stones.Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]it should happen where it happens...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]
    Exactly. It's a fantastic milestone, but the Yankees are in a pennant race and every game matters. You play your best.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Instead of milestones,I rather see him get kidney stones.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

ESPN Radio this AM said that RS fans are not rational about Jeter. This thread illustrates that fairly well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]Instead of milestones,I rather see him get kidney stones.

good one!
    wish i had come up with that one.
    however, i probably would have used gallstones.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree? Jeter's milestone should happen in NY : ESPN Radio this AM said that RS fans are not rational about Jeter. This thread illustrates that fairly well.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]
    I heard a little of that, too. It's not a matter of alliance, it's a matter of class. Jeter is a class act, and I will applaud his 3,000th hit. Hell, as long as the Yankees lose the game, I'd love to see him do it in Fenway.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree? Jeter's milestone should happen in NY : I heard a little of that, too. It's not a matter of alliance, it's a matter of class. Jeter is a class act, and I will applaud his 3,000th hit. Hell, as long as the Yankees lose the game, I'd love to see him do it in Fenway.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Good answer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree? Jeter's milestone should happen in NY : ESPN Radio this AM said that RS fans are not rational about Jeter. This thread illustrates that fairly well.
      I put the icon in my post so people would realize it was said "tounge in cheek".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Great player.  I've alot of respect for him, so congrats on the milestone when it happens.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree? Jeter's milestone should happen in NY :   I put the icon in my post so people would realize it was said "tounge in cheek".

OK; sorry; it doesn't apply to you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Living inside Yankee territory in CT, I hope he gets 4 hits tonight and ends it.   Then my paper takes him off the front of the sports page.   Finally.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree? Jeter's milestone should happen in NY : OK; sorry; it doesn't apply to you.

Actually, I don't think it applies to most Red Sox fans.

I  strongly dislike the Yankees and root against them with every ounce of energy I have, but as a baseball fan, I appreciate great achievements like this, and I appreciate great players like Jeter.  I will applaude and congratulate him when it happens.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree? Jeter's milestone should happen in NY : Actually, I don't think it applies to most Red Sox fans. I  strongly dislike the Yankees and root against them with every ounce of energy I have, but as a baseball fan, I appreciate great achievements like this, and I appreciate great players like Jeter.  I will applaude and congratulate him when it happens.  
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

OK; then ESPN Radio may be mistaken on this point as a general rule, however. Your posts are always on the mark, IMO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

I hope he plays 5 more years