Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the best in the game.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the be...

drew has been somewhat of a disappointment to me over his time in boston.

he has not been worth 14 M per year, but i cannot blame him for signing the contract.

in my opinion, he has been very much a streaky type of player.  he is great when he is hot, and bad to terrible when he is not.  his yearly stats (before this year) have been padded considerably by his yearly hot streak when he has hit like 10 HRs and driven in 25 during one of those 4 week long hot streaks.

he is a good right fielder, but right fielders in the american league, at least to me, should be much more consistant hitters and run producers throughout each season.  i believe that right field is a position of offense and an average 68 RBIs (when 20-25 might come in that one month hot streak) is not enough for a guy who basically has hit in the middle of the lineup.

this year, he looks completely overmatched so far.  i hope he can come up with that one month of solid offense, but it doesn't look that way this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

Re: Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the be...

well beantowne, one thing's for sure, doubly sure; no one in their right baseball mind is hailing drew as a hall-of-famer; the exception being bootlicker, peter abraham. nobody gets into the HOF for being a nice guy in the clubhouse. it's what one does on the field that determines that, and for what DREW does or doesn't do on the field could have been acquired for a whole lot less money.
    i'll repeat my mantra that i've been saying for most of drew's RED SOX career:
    one of the worst free agent signings ever.
    sadly,but not surprizingly, theo has already one-upped the drew fiasco with the signing of slackey.
    one of the worst free agent signings ever.
    the CRAWFORD signing has the potential to lower theo into a class by himself.
    hopefully, in the near future i won't be declaring about crawford--
    one of the worst, if not thee worst, free agent signings ever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

weaker hitters behind him."

if they were weaker than nancy, then they are not hitters, they are batters.
    anyone who carries a bat to the plate is a batter; to be a hitter, you have to earn it.

Do you really think they pitch the same way to AGon with Papi behind him than Drew with VTek behind him?

I do think Drew should have a few more RBIs, but it is obvious that he is often "pitched around" and yet posters here expect him to swing at balls. He walks a lot in crucial situations, and has Ok stats with runners in scoring position, but with more than "normal" BBs.

He has been a fine fielder in a tough Fenway RF.

He has stunk this year and stunk vs LHPs for a while.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the best in the game.:
    [QUOTE]well beantowne, one thing's for sure, doubly sure; no one in their right baseball mind is hailing drew as a hall-of-famer; the exception being bootlicker, peter abraham. nobody gets into the HOF for being a nice guy in the clubhouse. it's what one does on the field that determines that, and for what DREW does or doesn't do on the field could have been acquired for a whole lot less money. i'll repeat my mantra that i've been saying for most of drew's RED SOX career: one of the worst free agent signings ever. sadly,but not surprizingly, theo has already one-upped the drew fiasco with the signing of slackey. one of the worst free agent signings ever. the CRAWFORD signing has the potential to lower theo into a class by himself. hopefully, in the near future i won't be declaring about crawford-- one of the worst, if not thee worst, free agent signings ever.
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]
    Yaz, I Bet its a short list of right fielders who played for the same team in the AL from 2007-2011,  that's why he looks good

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

the only reason drew played in RF for the SOX for that period is that no other ML team wanted him without the SOX eating most of the contract.

talk about job security.

SLACKEY will also have that type of job security with the SOX.

thanks again, theo!

and moonslav; no matter how you or mr. abraham want to spin it, drew has suKKed more than just this year.
    defending that 70 million dollar lemon; have you no pride?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

To those who question my knowledge of baseball past and present I have factored in a variable to the formula.

You see, rightfielders such as Jose Cardenal,Bobby Bonds, Ron Fairly and the rest of the class of 1972 were facing much better pitching than what J.D.Drew faces in 2011. The Baltimore Orioles and Detroit Tigers could throw McNallly, Cueller,Palmer at you, the Tigers could send Lolich and McLain , the A's would send out Vida Blue and Catfish Hunter , Cleveland? ...you would face Sudden Sam McDowell, ChiSox would greet you with Wilbur Wood, National League? How about Juan Marichal, Fergy Jenkins, Don Gullett , Bert Blyleven , Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton....my God, the list goes on and on!

If Drew were facing pitchers form 1972...he wouldn't get above the Mendoza line! (.200 BA)!!! ...and there is no way he'd be drawing as many walks. This was the era of the pitcher.....300 hitters were rare indeed back then!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I really enjoy Peter Abraham. Drew had very good years in 2008 and 2009 (OPS of .927 and .914), but they have skewed his overall average. He was at .793, but this year, his OPS is .656.

Statistically, in 2011, he is probably one of the worst, if not the worst RF's in the AL.  He's not going to return to the better numbers. He's older, and given that he will probably retire, doesn't care about his numbers, like he did in the every past contract year.

Bottom line is they need a replacement with more production and I am sure they will find one at or near the trading deadline.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the best in the game.:
    [QUOTE]To those who question my knowledge of baseball past and present I have factored in a variable to the formula. You see, rightfielders such as Jose Cardenal,Bobby Bonds, Ron Fairly and the rest of the class of 1972 were facing much better pitching than what J.D.Drew faces in 2011. The Baltimore Orioles and Detroit Tigers could throw McNallly, Cueller,Palmer at you, the Tigers could send Lolich and McLain , the A's would send out Vida Blue and Catfish Hunter , Cleveland? ...you would face Sudden Sam McDowell, ChiSox would greet you with Wilbur Wood, National League? How about Juan Marichal, Fergy Jenkins, Don Gullett , Bert Blyleven , Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton....my God, the list goes on and on! If Drew were facing pitchers form 1972...he wouldn't get above the Mendoza line! (.200 BA)!!! ...and there is no way he'd be drawing as many walks. This was the era of the pitcher.....300 hitters were rare indeed back then!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]Zilla that is a chicken and egg argument. Were the pitchers really better or were the hitters not as good because they did not have advanced video aids to shorten their slumps, did not train as hard in the offseason etcetra?

Part of Drew's strength is part of why people don't like him but it would play well in any era. JD Drew approaches every PA with the same approach, he will not swing at pitcher's pitches and makes the pitcher get him out in the zone. It has reflected in his high OBP during his career and fuels the argument that he should expand that zone with RISP. That plays well in any era.

Now I haven't contemplated it but if an era was filled with more quality LH pitchers than the one he played in that may have given him more trouble because he does have diminished returns versus LH.

And when you mention 2011 I think the pitching right now is as good as it has been in a long time and the number of quality LH is very high. There aren't too many teams that don't have 1-2 top of the rotation quality guys. The MLB ERA is 3.84 season to date. In 2007 it was 4.46 with only two teams having an ERA under 4. As of today 20 teams started the day with ERA's under 4.

The pitching is getting stronger, more quality young arms are not being blown up as quickly in the minors or early in their MLB careers. More guys are throwing the cutter well and it is being thrown more often.

Now none of that IMO is why Drew is scuffling. The contract was a year too long. It was the cost of doing business. Everybody evaluates the signing in a vacuum, which as fans we can do but at the time Epstein could not and should not have done. The RS had NO heir apparent in the minors. Drew was the best available OF in that FA class. A trade would have had to headline guys like Ellsbury, Buch and Pedroia. And it wasn't going to be just one of the top prospects to get a player, even one not quite as good as Drew. Papelbon and Lester weren't marketable, one had cancer one had shoulder issues.

It was what it was, they won a WS and made 2 playoff appearances after the signing. Do it again I'd say.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I agree with Peter, which doesn't mean I respect this guy. I disagree that Bellsbury is playing like Ted Williams or Ichiro or Marquis Grissom.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No one said Ellsbury is playing like Ted Williams because Jacoby is a much better outfielder.  This year Jake is hitting better than Ichiro Suzuki, no doubt because he's a lot younger.  Ichiro has been one of the great wonders of MLB. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

No poster that complains about Drew and his bad production this year will ever be able to produce a viable alternative to signing him when he was signed. Moving on with Nixon would've weakened the at the time, trading for anyone would've meant giving up future success that we are seeing from young players now. Drew was signed a year too long, but the young players we got to keep by having a steady RF for the past few years and not having to make a trade for one makes up for his poor production in 2011.

Looking at the results of this contract should make the decision to sign Drew when we did a no brainer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

I do not agree at all with Abraham's cherry picked (AL only right fielders who have played each season during Drew's contract).  I do, however, agree with ESPN's objective player rater system which ranks Drew 27th among the 30 starting right fielders so far this year.  Jose Bautista is first with a 78.5 rating and Drew is at 5.5.  Fans who seriously compete in fantasy baseball and I do not this year having come off a season I won 3 of 3 championships in various formats would be considered fools if they had him on their rosters.  He is one of the least productive outfielders in the game today and has been for several years vis a vis his peers.  The good news is that the end of the J.D. Drew era is fast approaching and hopefully he will exit as quietly as he entered.   His legacy will be that he will always be considered one of the worst free agent signings in franchise history (certainly in the top 5 all-time). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

You're a hilarious troll. One of the firsts I've seen willing to use FANTASY BASEBALL as a compelling argument. Juan Pierre is a player I signed over and over again for his steals, he alone would make me rank among the top of the steal catagory in my leagues. Guess what, he isn't an elite player, but he's been an elite Fantasy Player for years.

As for cherry picking you cherry picked around the .900 OPS's that he gave us, claiming that he hasn't performed offensively for years. Go back to fantasy baseball land.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]I do not agree at all with Abraham's cherry picked (AL only right fielders who have played each season during Drew's contract).  I do, however, agree with ESPN's objective player rater system which ranks Drew 27th among the 30 starting right fielders so far this year.  Jose Bautista is first with a 78.5 rating and Drew is at 5.5.  Fans who seriously compete in fantasy baseball and I do not this year having come off a season I won 3 of 3 championships in various formats would be considered fools if they had him on their rosters.  He is one of the least productive outfielders in the game today and has been for several years vis a vis his peers.  The good news is that the end of the J.D. Drew era is fast approaching and hopefully he will exit as quietly as he entered.   His legacy will be that he will always be considered one of the worst free agent signings in franchise history (certainly in the top 5 all-time). 
    Posted by WilcyMoore[/QUOTE]

LOL.  This post is so wrong, in so many ways.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Bellsbury is a coveted fantasy baseball player. I'll sell him to you for one decent young RH OF'er and I'll throw in free MRI coupons and a lifetime pass to API.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

"this post is wrong, in so many ways."--redsoxkimmi

perhaps, but the stuff about drew was spot on.

and nusoxfan(that mean you've been a fan since 2004)thinking drew sux does not make one a troll. are you sure you're not peter abraham?

"no bad signing goes unpunished."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]"this post is wrong, in so many ways."--redsoxkimmi perhaps, but the stuff about drew was spot on. and nusoxfan(that mean you've been a fan since 2004)thinking drew sux does not make one a troll. are you sure you're not peter abraham? "no bad signing goes unpunished."
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]
    No it means I go to Northeastern University. Thinking Drew is bad does not make you a troll, citing fantasy baseball does.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]"this post is wrong, in so many ways."--redsoxkimmi perhaps, but the stuff about drew was spot on. Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

The Drew signing will go down as one of the 5 worst in franchise history?  I hardly think so. 

Drew stinks so far this year offensively.  There's no debating that.  He still brings something to the table defensively though. 

IMO, PA was pretty spot on in his article.  You have to expect that a player will likely not perform up to par in the last year of a long term contract, but in the previous 4 years, Drew has earned his pay.  All in all, a good signing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the best in the game. : Wrong, this blog article was made in response to emails. The fact we still get these statistical articles just shows how blind and ignorant some fans are.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

You think?  I think the emails came from Theo -- 

Don't forget, Drew's the guy who had Theo twisting himself in knots explaining why rbis and average are over-rated.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re:  You have to expect that a player will likely not perform up to par in the last year of a long term contract, but in the previous 4 years, Drew has earned his pay.  All in all, a good signing.  
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

"Earned his pay."

How do you figure?

The only thing that makes this signing look excusable for Theo is that , yes, in fact Drew was probably the best of a very poor class of available outfielders in 2006-07 off season.

So, Theo took the best player available , but it was not a "cheap" option. Fortunately John Henry has plenty of money for Theo to waste....well not really, because they make it back by being very smart business people. Possibly not the smartest "baseball" people , but you've got to admit, they know how to make money.

Drew is not "earning his pay" from the perspective of a baseball fan. But, form the perspective of a businessman he is not a total loss, and other players are picking up his slack...so that he sort of disappears into the background with is .235 average. While the bulk of the rest of the players cover up for his inefficiency at the plate.

Sort of like the slacker at work who doesn't get noticed because everyoe around him his doing their job well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Wakefield has earned every penny of his 50 million. Drew didn't earn his, and doesn't care about the Boston community.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the best in the game. : "Earned his pay." How do you figure? The only thing that makes this signing look excusable for Theo is that , yes, in fact Drew was probably the best of a very poor class of available outfielders in 2006-07 off season. So, Theo took the best player available , but it was not a "cheap" option.Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

When you talk about whether he was a 'cheap' option or not, you also have to take into account what the market for corner outfielders was at the time.  Some very big contracts were handed out to corner OFs during that offseason.  In comparison, Drew was not only the best available option, but he was cheap.

If I'm not mistaken, you are not an advanced stat fan, so the rest of my argument would fall on deaf ears.  But briefly, according to Fangraphs, Drew was worth $58.4 million over his first 4 years, or and average of $14.6 mil/yr.  And that doesn't include any postseason contributions.  There is more to a player's value than BA and RBIs.

I can live with those who say he was slightly overpaid, but to say that he was grossly overpaid or that his contract was a bust is ridiculous, IMO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Do you agree with Abraham?-J.D. Drew compared to other AL right fielders in the last four years proves he's one of the best in the game.:
    [QUOTE]By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff Two e-mails in recent days termed J.D. Drew "a bust" with the Red Sox. I suspect this opinion is colored by how poor his 2011 season has been. But it raises a valid question: How good has he actually been for the Red Sox? For any person in any occupation, it is fair to be judged against your peers. In this case, Drew is a right fielder in the American League and has been from 2007-2011. So I researched all American League players in those five years who played 65 percent or more of their games in right field and played a minimum of 400 games. Here is what I found: OPS 1. Ordonez .876 2. Choo .836 3. Cruz .852 4. Drew .835 OPS+ (which adjusts to the league and home park) 1. Choo 136 2. Ordonez 130 3. Cruz 121 4. Abreu 118 5. Drew and Markakis 117 RBIs 1. Abreu 414 2. Markakis 387 3. Ordonez 358 4. Cuddyer 321 5. Drew 282 HR 1. Dye 89 2. Cruz 88 3. Drew 80 BB 1. Abreu 386 2. Drew 327 Games 1. Markakis 710 2. Suzuki 704 3. Abreu 692 4. Cuddyer 592 5. Drew 584 Drew is 9th with a .266 batting average. I suspect that is part of his problem with fans. But an educated fan knows that OPS is a much more telling statistic than batting average. Then we get to defense UZR 1. Suzuki 35.2 2. Rios 30.1 3. Drew 23.3 UZR/150 1 Suzuki 35.2 2. Rios 30.1 3. Drew 23.3 So by an objective measure, Drew has been one of the top three or four right fielders in the American League during his tenure in Boston. He has been durable, productive at the plate and efficient in the field. Two issues cloud this measure: • Drew has made $14 million a year, making him one of the highest-paid players on the team. But, again, let's judge him by his peers in teams of age and position over those years: Abreu's average salary: $11 million Ordonez's average salary: $16 million Suzuki's average salary: $15 million Basically the Red Sox paid the going rate for a right fielder of his skills. • Drew is not a "dirt dog" player who throws his bat, gets ejected or says colorful things to the media. I guess that's a personal preference. But if you try and use such measures to evaluate a player instead of cold, hard facts, you would last 20 minutes as a general manager. Abreu gets painted by the same brush. That all said, this season has been ugly for Drew and it may not get any better. But that is the price you pay when you sign a player to a long-term contract as a free agent. Quite often, the final year becomes basically a pension. That is true across the game. It's the price of doing business. The Tigers are paying Ordonez $15 million this year and have gotten .176/.234/.252 over 33 games in return. Suzuki is hitting .279/.326 /.334 for Seattle at cost of $17 million and has $17 million guaranteed for next year. Heck yes, the Red Sox could use a better right fielder than what they have now. But to label J.D. Drew a bust is to not look at the facts. In the end, he gave them what they paid for. Nothing is going to change that.
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]
    Other than the assortment of god-awful pitchers, for example, Matt Mantai, Blaine Neal, Matt Clement, John Halama, Javier Lopez, Brendan Donnelly, Rudy Seanez, Joel Pinero,  etc. J.D. Drew will go down as the worst ever decision that Epstein made. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

COME ON!

JD Drew is not good plain and simple.  Here is the simplest argument for him being a bad player.   After watching him for the past 5 years my eyes tell me hits is a weak hitter, doesn't get many rbis and has only had 2 big hits in the past 5 years.

If Drew is so good, then why does everyone think he stinks??????

Somehow we just don't know what were talking about???  No jd drew is not good plain and simple.  He costs a lot of money, rarely gets big hits, only hits 60 rbis, has a low BA.
    he stinks  wake up

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]No poster that complains about Drew and his bad production this year will ever be able to produce a viable alternative to signing him when he was signed. Moving on with Nixon would've weakened the at the time, trading for anyone would've meant giving up future success that we are seeing from young players now. Drew was signed a year too long, but the young players we got to keep by having a steady RF for the past few years and not having to make a trade for one makes up for his poor production in 2011. Looking at the results of this contract should make the decision to sign Drew when we did a no brainer.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Aubrey Huff could have been had for a fraction of what Drew got !!