Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/magazine/for-derek-jeter-on-his-37th-birthday.html?_r=1&ref=baseball

I for one do.....so does Cashman if you read between the lines.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop?

YESSSSSSSSSS,  I HAVE BEEN WAITING TO SAY THAT FOR YEARS !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

Re: Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop?

the sox alone have 3 shortstops better then Jeter

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop?:
    [QUOTE]http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/magazine/for-derek-jeter-on-his-37th-birthday.html?_r=1&ref=baseball I for one do.....so does Cashman if you read between the lines.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Careful, Kim may come down on you for this for bringing up a Yankee topic as discussed by the NYT; well, then again, maybe not, since you're a RS fan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BILLS-DAD. Show BILLS-DAD's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop?:
    [QUOTE]  YESSSSSSSSSS,  I HAVE BEEN WAITING TO SAY THAT FOR YEARS !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

SON, I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YEARS FOR YOU TO POST SOMETHING INTERESTING.  I'M STILL WAITING.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LS350. Show LS350's posts

In Response to Re: Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop? : Careful, Kim may come down on you for this for bringing up a Yankee topic as discussed by the NYT; well, then again, maybe not, since you're a RS fan.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Kim knows someone, who is a very credible source, who has assured her that Jeter is in fact a below average shortstop.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

I for one do.....so does Cashman if you read between the lines.--sindarin-erebor

The writer says, "Cashman repeated a comment had recently made on the radio — that he still considered Jeter in the top half of major-league shortstops. “He’s not the same player he used to be,” Cashman said. “But I think he’s above average at that position, despite his age.”
    Not sure what lines you're reading between.

At any rate, the writer makes the startling point that players get older and that they're not as fast and strong in their 30s as they are in their 20's. Breakthrough journalism.

Aside from impeccable first ballot Hall of Fame credentials, one thing Jeter does very well, to the delight of Yankee fans,  is that he catches everything and rarely muffs a play, a concept that no shortstop on the Sox is even remotely familiar with. It's the guys who have worlds of acrobatic range but can't catch a ball hit right at them in a big spot that are the killers.

Let the Jeter trashing continue. You don't have him, so there's no need for you to suffer with him. We'll take him, and Davethe knave, we'll take A-Rod, too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I for one do.....so does Cashman if you read between the lines.--sindarin-erebor The writer says, "Cashman repeated a comment had recently made on the radio — that he still considered Jeter in the top half of major-league shortstops. “He’s not the same player he used to be,” Cashman said. “But I think he’s above average at that position, despite his age.” Not sure what lines you're reading between. At any rate, the writer makes the startling point that players get older and that they're not as fast and strong in their 30s as they are in their 20's. Breakthrough journalism. Aside from impeccable first ballot Hall of Fame credentials, one thing Jeter does very well, to the delight of Yankee fans,  is that he catches everything and rarely muffs a play, a concept that no shortstop on the Sox is even remotely familiar with.   Let the Jeter trashing continue. You don't have him, so there's no need for you to suffer with him. We'll take him, and Davethe knave, we'll take A-Rod, too.
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]

Well, he currently does have postage stamp range (I plagarized that); otherwise, that's actually a pretty good point; of course, my endorsement of your post shall lead to others accusing me of you being my alias, resulting in a Smiley style dialogue.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

the entire yankees team is below averages.  they are lucky to be over 500 in the standings.  the second half ov the season they will show true colors with standing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Love that Smiley scat talk.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop? : ---------------------------------------------------------------- That's funny, and you're right (but not always).
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]

Nobody is, but 5katz comes darn close.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

To his credit, yes he does.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]To his credit, yes he does.
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]

Is my range crack incorrect IYO (especially to the left)?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]I for one do.....so does Cashman if you read between the lines.--sindarin-erebor The writer says, "Cashman repeated a comment had recently made on the radio — that he still considered Jeter in the top half of major-league shortstops. “He’s not the same player he used to be,” Cashman said. “But I think he’s above average at that position, despite his age.” Not sure what lines you're reading between. At any rate, the writer makes the startling point that players get older and that they're not as fast and strong in their 30s as they are in their 20's. Breakthrough journalism. Aside from impeccable first ballot Hall of Fame credentials, one thing Jeter does very well, to the delight of Yankee fans,  is that he catches everything and rarely muffs a play, a concept that no shortstop on the Sox is even remotely familiar with. It's the guys who have worlds of acrobatic range but can't catch a ball hit right at them in a big spot that are the killers.   Let the Jeter trashing continue. You don't have him, so there's no need for you to suffer with him. We'll take him, and Davethe knave, we'll take A-Rod, too.
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]

"Cashman repeated a comment had recently made on the radio — that he still considered Jeter in the top half of major-league shortstops. “He’s not the same player he used to be,” Cashman said. “But I think he’s above average at that position, despite his age.”

Cashman almost surely knows that is not the case, by objective measures. But he would like it to be. So would many Yankee fans. And so might we all."

There is the reference point. Cashman says one thing, but between the lines even your home town hero newspaper yankem writer knows what Cashman really thinks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

this is why the sox are so much  better then the yankees.   yankees are old and over rated.  they cant compete with quality teams like the sox.  check the standings for your proof, sox in first place yankees not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Do you agree with the New York Times Michael Sololove that Derek Jeter is now a below average MLB shortstop?:
    [QUOTE]http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/magazine/for-derek-jeter-on-his-37th-birthday.html?_r=1&ref=baseball I for one do.....so does Cashman if you read between the lines.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

No Cashman does not.  Jeter is the shortstop and he will remain so for the next 2 years.  Cashman was on the YES network with Fancessa and made it crystal clear the captain is his shortstop and there is zero zero zero interest in Jose Reyes.  Thank you, Jetes, for hanging in there. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

"Cashman repeated a comment had recently made on the radio — that he still considered Jeter in the top half of major-league shortstops. “He’s not the same player he used to be,” Cashman said. “But I think he’s above average at that position, despite his age.”

Cashman almost surely knows that is not the case, by objective measures. But he would like it to be. So would many Yankee fans. And so might we all."

There is the reference point. Cashman says one thing, but between the lines even your home town hero newspaper yankem writer knows what Cashman really thinks.---sindarin-erebor
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like the bolded words are the opinion of the writer. Cashman certainly didn't say that. Seems like the writer has a theory--players age and aren't as effective as when they were younger. Groundbreaking. My aunt Shirley could have told him that, or you and me for that matter. Your anti-Yankee bias is showing, man, on a pretty obvious point for every athlete. You need to sit with soxpatscelts and have a pity party about Jeter getting his 3000th and heading for the Hall when he's done.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Is my range crack incorrect IYO (especially to the left)?--nhsteven
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think you're right, Steven, especially to the left. Tougher to get down low for him at 37, it seems. But the beauty of Jeter is he catches every freakin' ball he gets to no matter how big the situation. That's where he's absolute money. No way do I trade another step or two of range for more dropped balls or bad throws. These guys don't have that, so they don't get it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Jeter has been below average defensively for most of his career.  Offensively, it does appear that age has caught up with him.  Too soon to write him off for sure though.

That said, he's a first ballot HOFer and a class act both on and off the field.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

his defense is an embarrassment to the yankees.  check his history on defense.  He has what, One gold glove.  Proof is proof.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Me, with an anit-yankem bias? How inciteful. I think you are making my point in that yes, your own home team, home paper writer knows that Jeter along with all of the other old, aging athletes are below average. Cashman knows this too, obviously. Do you think he would be stupid enough to come right out and say it? Of course no, he wants to keep his job. Or are you forgetting that he was not so pro on signing Jeter to a three year contract or pay such a high price? So you think Jeter is an above average shortstop? You of course have the right to think so and I for one I am glad you get to have him playing short for the remainder of this year and TWO more going forward. Good luck with that. He will tarnish his HOF legacy with hitting more ground ball outs over the course of three years than any player in the history of professional baseball.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]Is my range crack incorrect IYO (especially to the left)?--nhsteven ------------------------------------------------------------------ I think you're right, Steven, especially to the left. Tougher to get down low for him at 37, it seems. But the beauty of Jeter is he catches every freakin' ball he gets to no matter how big the situation. That's where he's absolute money. No way do I trade another step or two of range for more dropped balls or bad throws. These guys don't have that, so they don't get it.
    Posted by mfymfy[/QUOTE]

He is pretty sure handed, but he is costing his team more runs by his lack of range, than say somebody like Elvis Andrus who makes more errors, but has far better range.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

sindarin, couldnt have said it myself.  Jeter is an ambarrassment to the yankees.  the team is old and can't compete anymore.  the big fall is coming, look out below. proof is proof.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Below average isn't accurate. Average is probably more like it. He is fraction of the player he was as recent as 2009. If you freeze his numbers at the point of the injury the argument could be made he is slightly below average. But he had a slow start (.582 OPS for Mar-Apr).

Some good that may come out of the injury is that Giardi may be more apt to reduce Derek from the 157 games he played in 2010 and get him more rest. He is 37 years old after all and SS is a very active position.

Defensively you will always get arguments because each of the defensive stats have bigger holes in them than offensive stats do. Derek fans will look at what they see with one view, his detractors yet another. But he may well be below average this year unless Jed Lowrie's 2011 performance is what you consider league average.

None of this should be a shock. It is why Cashman was in such a bad spot. No heir apparent, the single most iconic player of the great run the NYY have had for over 16 years and Jeter's expectations all mucked up by the insane A-Rod contract. Because truth be known, Jete was a 2 year - $16M player and $4M of that was for the Jeter brand and his hitting his 3000 hit in your uniform.

But even if he was below average, it is harsh IMO to write about as NY writer.

Just my take