Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012?

Do you extend Wakefield to 2012?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012?

I believe we all mostly wanted him back for 2011.  Most used terms like "great value," and "innings eater," but this is not the case any longer.  

Anyone asking for him to return for 2012 has to be loose in the brain.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

No Wakefield is done!!  He normally can go up to 7 to 8 innings.  Now he cant get out of 5th innings lately.  Let the organization call up a young pitcher and give him a chance.  What is the difference between a young pitcher can pitch to 5th inning while Wakefield does the same thing.  Remember Weiland struggled a bit, but half of his start wasnt his fault due OF's/IF's made couple errors during his starts.  Still like I said, there is no difference between Wieland or Wakefield.  

So time to let a youth to take over his spot.  

I know Wakefield would tell the team that he is willing to accept as a back up pitcher as well to accept as an emergency pitcher.  Boston can alway use someone else such as Droubmont, Weiland, Bowen, etc!

Thanks Wakefield.  You have been great to the organization, without you, we wouldnt not see Boston to come back from 0-3 ALCS against the Yanks!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Youth? What? How dare you! Why try someone new when you know what your gonan get with Wake?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012?:
    [QUOTE]Youth? What? How dare you! Why try someone new when you know what your gonan get with Wake?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

You mean the 12-10 record from our 7th starter?
    You mean the 4th best WHIP of all our starters, healthy and hurt?
    You mean the guy with 6+ Ip per start that places him 3rd on the staff?
    You mean the guy making less money than the 5 original starters ahead of him?

Yeah, let's cut loose our cheapest 4th or 5th best pitcher and latch onto Lackey, miller and Weiland's coattails into next year.

Yipeeee!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjkoko. Show jjkoko's posts

No. It's time to move on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Move on to what? Dice-K? Lackey? Miller? Weiland? Our budget is crippled by the CC and lackey signings. We can't afford 2-3 better starters via Free agency, unless we open holes at DH, Closer, SS, and elsewhere.

Next year, we can only hope Lester, Beckett and Buch stay healthy. Without anyone better within the system, keeping Wake for about $1M to be an insurance policy is the right thing to do. The 200 win fiasco is past. Next year, we should know to use Wake for only 15 starts or so.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

now we have 7 starters? If Tim gets worse do we have 8 starters?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I would say No, but Moon makes some good points and he is going to come back no matter what we think.....the Sox are going to give him an opportunity to get the Sox Wins record and his cost is low enough for them to do that without hurting the budget.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I don't know that our budget is shot, seems we are the Yankess now and will sign every joe smoe free agent available. Only a matter of time before we take James Shields from the Rays.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Hes been "done" for two yrs FFS. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from borack. Show borack's posts

the only way i would extend WAKE is on a rack.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know that our budget is shot, seems we are the Yankess now and will sign every joe smoe free agent available. Only a matter of time before we take James Shields from the Rays.

We do have budget restraints even though we are #2 in spending.

Shields will probably be dealt after next year. He may be burnt out by then.

I think TB will only deal Upton this winter. They will finally have a year with no major offseason losses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I said this on another thread.  He is ok as long as he is only pitching occasionally.  He has started too many games this season and will only be effective if he can  pitch when someone needs a rest, etc.  If we have pitching injuries again next season, (that would be another discouraging scenario), we shouldn't have Wakefield starting every 5th game.  Although, I heard many local announcers say that they believe that Wakefield will retire. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012? : You mean the 12-10 record from our 7th starter? You mean the 4th best WHIP of all our starters, healthy and hurt? You mean the guy with 6+ Ip per start that places him 3rd on the staff? You mean the guy making less money than the 5 original starters ahead of him? Yeah, let's cut loose our cheapest 4th or 5th best pitcher and latch onto Lackey, miller and Weiland's coattails into next year. Yipeeee!
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

moon- Respnonses to your comments:

1. Last I checked, Wakefield isn't 12-10. Your stat is irrelevant.
    2. 4th Best Whip - Great. What are you comparing him against? Lackey, Miller and Weiland are irrelevant.  Compare Wakefield to a replacement player.
    3. They can't anything with Lackey, Weilland isn't Major League ready,and Miller probably won't be here next year.

His WAR is 0.8, not very good.

And one more thing, he's 7-7.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

[QUOTE]I believe we all mostly wanted him back for 2011.  Most used terms like "great value," and "innings eater," but this is not the case any longer.   Anyone asking for him to return for 2012 has to be loose in the brain.

sadly, burrito, the sox current GM fits that description.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Anyone asking for him to return for 2012 has to be loose in the brain.

See Moonslow.

I see Wakefield ceremonial tour part 2 is ready to crank up. A joke! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012? : moon- Respnonses to your comments: 1. Last I checked, Wakefield isn't 12-10.

The team is 12-10 in his starts.

Your stat is irrelevant.

More relevant than ERA.

2. 4th Best Whip - Great. What are you comparing him against? Lackey, Miller and Weiland are irrelevant.  Compare Wakefield to a replacement player.

Actually his WHIP compares very well to the average MLB starter. My point is, you guys want to axe the 4th best starter before you find anyone better to replace the 5th, 6th, 7th... best starters who are worse than Wake. Very relevant.

3. They can't anything with Lackey, Weilland isn't Major League ready,and Miller probably won't be here next year.

All the more reason to keep Wake....he's better than these alternatives!

His WAR is 0.8, not very good. And one more thing, he's 7-7.

He's our 7th starter this year. A plus WAR is great in that perspective.

Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012?:
    [QUOTE]Do you extend Wakefield to 2012?
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping Wake makes the decision to retire but when you look at Lackey, Miller, Tazawa, Weiland, Dice and probably replacing Bedard.  Wakes stats don't look so bad at number 6 or 7 for the price.  It all depends on where Wake may be standing when Theo decides to bring that "big broom" in to sweep up the mess.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This would be a good selling point for Wake's agent:  Tim Wakefield ; well , he's not as horrible as Lackey.    ( Of course , who is? )

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Do you Extend Wakefield to 2012? : I'm hoping Wake makes the decision to retire but when you look at Lackey, Miller, Tazawa, Weiland, Dice and probably replacing Bedard.  Wakes stats don't look so bad at number 6 or 7 for the price.  It all depends on where Wake may be standing when Theo decides to bring that "big broom" in to sweep up the mess.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]
    Great point, let's see what the options are.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

it's all going to depend on what moves get made.......if none.....then Wake is better than the other slugs in the back of the rotation........I expect better quality from Theo next year though....though I'm not sure what can be done.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im going to actually say yes...why not use him as a spot starter? OR LONG RELIEF...THAT's what his role was supposed to be before every pitcher went down for the count...i have no problem with a wake start every ten-twelve games

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]im going to actually say yes...why not use him as a spot starter? OR LONG RELIEF...THAT's what his role was supposed to be before every pitcher went down for the count...i have no problem with a wake start every ten-twelve games
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]Can't argue too much with that but I must admit I am shocked to see you post that Georom.

In an ideal world but it won't happen, the RS would be able to get wake on a minor league deal so if they had their opening day 25 well built he could work regularly in Pawtucket.

But with the issues and question marks this club has to balance in the starting staff for 2012 and the fact that most MLB teams will use 8-10 starters over 162 games, it is hard to let him walk, evenwith the rather uncompelling stats he has put up since his back injury in mid 2009 IMO.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

No surprise if Wakefield is back in 2012.    There's no major league ready pitching in  the minor league system in 2012 and rushing prospects is always a big mistake.    Also the free agent class of 2012 in not ripe with good arms unless Theo (or whoever) wants to overpay for C.J. Wilson of the Rangers.