Do You have Confidence that Cherry will turn the Red Sox into a consistent Playoff team?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Do You have Confidence that Cherry will turn the Red Sox into a consistent Playoff team?

The question should be , Does Larry Luchinno want to turn the Red Sox into a playoff caliber team   because he is Young Ben's governor here. No way is John Henry going to give Young Ben the leeway that Epstein had when he was here, hence we have Larry Luchinno to watch over and guide Young Ben. The issue here is that the game has passed Larry Luchinno by. 

I have confidence in neither of them, in particular the crummy deals Ben made last season at the start and during the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Do You have Confidence that Cherry will turn the Red Sox into a consistent Playoff team?

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kmr2318's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Zero confidence.  The guy is a total stooge and an empty suit.  When David Ross is your big acquistion so far this offseason then NASA we have a problem.

Toronto just passed us by with their mega deal (Ben C was exploring the same players).  Next floor basement please.   I don't think Ben C is a the bold visionary GM the Sox need.  I am realistic so don't expect the playoffs next season.  It will take 2-3 years to turnaround the club but this guy is way too conservative on acquisitions and holding minor leaguers.

Jay Johnson would have been a great front line starter and I think he should go in on Justin Upton.  The Sox of the future need a blend of youth farm kids and some young proven MLB talent to fill the wholes on this team.  We have payroll...spend some now and save some for future years when free agent class is better.   I see no evidence of improement so far.

[/QUOTE]

it's so early in the off-season..i don't understand how anybody can cry like this...so 2 or 3 teams in MLB made moves...all the rest of teams are doomed? it's so stupid.

[/QUOTE]

Fans have lost their persepctive for two reasons.

First, while we are only 3 weeks into the off-season, the Sox did raise the white flag in August.  We had fans complaining about Cherington not making moves "three weeks since the season ended" in mid-October, while the World Series was going on.  So, really, the season had not even ended then, and Cherington was already being chastised for inactivity.  (While a GM is technically allowed to make moves during the post-season, the league frowns up on it, and more important, there are less moves to make since no one will have declared free agency yet.)

Second, the Red Sox have actually not made a really big sexy name acquistion since Carl Crawford.  I do not consider Erik Bedard to qualify.  Last off-season, the team was a little handcuffed financially, and very little was available.  And therefore the lack of an actual headline-grabbing move is approaching 24 months.  Do you know how long 24 months is in Impatient Red Sox Fan Years?  

I an see why the natives are restless.  But that does not make me think they are any smarter for it...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Really? whys that? Short term meaning 2 years?

Advancing to the postseason in the next two years, after failing with a star-studded lineup the past three years, would be an impressive feat indeed.

I know well that fans of a last-place club have high hopes and aspirations for their team.

[/QUOTE]

When you have the resources that the Sox do and have now removed the former GM who created the mess as well as the contracts that were the problem, I think they can be cpompetetive this year, and maybe get lucky. But I think in 2014 they have a legit shot at the whole thing. Were not a perennial last place team for a reason, so I dont expect us to stay there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I love when some here refer to him as "Young Ben" as if hes a wet behind the ears little kid playing in daddys office....Experience is whats important, and he has plenty of it in the front office...Heres a little cut and paste from Wikipedia...

Cherington served Boston as an area scout, baseball operations assistant, coordinator of international scouting, and assistant director (and then director) of player development from 1999–2005.

From December 12, 2005, through January 19, 2006, he served as co-general manager of the team with Jed Hoyer during Epstein's absence from the team, with club president/CEO Larry Lucchino and veteran former Major League GM Bill Lajoie also playing key roles during that period. After Epstein's return, Cherington became vice president, player personnel, through January 2009, then senior vice president and assistant GM from 2009 through his promotion to executive vice president and general manager on October 25, 2011.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

I love when some here refer to him as "Young Ben" as if hes a wet behind the ears little kid playing in daddys office....Experience is whats important, and he has plenty of it in the front office...Heres a little cut and paste from Wikipedia...

Cherington served Boston as an area scout, baseball operations assistant, coordinator of international scouting, and assistant director (and then director) of player development from 1999–2005.

From December 12, 2005, through January 19, 2006, he served as co-general manager of the team with Jed Hoyer during Epstein's absence from the team, with club president/CEO Larry Lucchino and veteran former Major League GM Bill Lajoie also playing key roles during that period. After Epstein's return, Cherington became vice president, player personnel, through January 2009, then senior vice president and assistant GM from 2009 through his promotion to executive vice president and general manager on October 25, 2011.

[/QUOTE]

He is Young and no way is Henry going to give him free reign like Theo had, hence we have Larry Luchinno as the "Govenor" here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kmr2318's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Zero confidence.  The guy is a total stooge and an empty suit.  When David Ross is your big acquistion so far this offseason then NASA we have a problem.

Toronto just passed us by with their mega deal (Ben C was exploring the same players).  Next floor basement please.   I don't think Ben C is a the bold visionary GM the Sox need.  I am realistic so don't expect the playoffs next season.  It will take 2-3 years to turnaround the club but this guy is way too conservative on acquisitions and holding minor leaguers.

Jay Johnson would have been a great front line starter and I think he should go in on Justin Upton.  The Sox of the future need a blend of youth farm kids and some young proven MLB talent to fill the wholes on this team.  We have payroll...spend some now and save some for future years when free agent class is better.   I see no evidence of improement so far.

[/QUOTE]

it's so early in the off-season..i don't understand how anybody can cry like this...so 2 or 3 teams in MLB made moves...all the rest of teams are doomed? it's so stupid.

[/QUOTE]

Fans have lost their persepctive for two reasons.

First, while we are only 3 weeks into the off-season, the Sox did raise the white flag in August.  We had fans complaining about Cherington not making moves "three weeks since the season ended" in mid-October, while the World Series was going on.  So, really, the season had not even ended then, and Cherington was already being chastised for inactivity.  (While a GM is technically allowed to make moves during the post-season, the league frowns up on it, and more important, there are less moves to make since no one will have declared free agency yet.)

Second, the Red Sox have actually not made a really big sexy name acquistion since Carl Crawford.  I do not consider Erik Bedard to qualify.  Last off-season, the team was a little handcuffed financially, and very little was available.  And therefore the lack of an actual headline-grabbing move is approaching 24 months.  Do you know how long 24 months is in Impatient Red Sox Fan Years?  

I an see why the natives are restless.  But that does not make me think they are any smarter for it...

[/QUOTE]

I think fans want to be able to see or understand what the plan is here. I served as an Operations Officer with the Military Police in Iraq. I know you never tip your hand as to what you are going to do. I understand about operational security as I lived by that for over 13 months in Iraq. After the disastrous acquistions Ben or Larry made last year, fans want to see something positive other than just the salary dump they saw in mid August. So far the fans have seen them pick up a backup catcher and nothing else. The team saved a ton of money the last month and a half of the season and for the future and they do not want to see them go into the "small market" team mentality. By the teams lack of interest in players thats what they are in fact seeing. I also remember Larry Luchinno saying that we were looking to add a pitcher at the beginning of the season and empowering Ben to do something big at the trade deadline and neither of these things happened.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He is Young and no way is Henry going to give him free reign like Theo had, hence we have Larry Luchinno as the "Govenor" here.

[/QUOTE]

No GM has true free reign to do what they want. I dont think he has to check with LL on every single move like some here also believe. If they had the lack of confidence you seem to think they have in him, I doubt they would have even considered him for the job.

He started in scouting and player development, something Theo never did. Hes a better evaluator of talent than Theo was.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cherry was part of the prior incompetent GM administration. Now, just one year from being named the head GM, the confidence meter is pitifully low. Those who voted yes are cheerleader fans, as they couldn't be sober minded.

[/QUOTE]

Softy as Sheeet, 

It figures that you would turn a nonsensical poll of yours into a platform to first, answer your own silliness and secondly to rip into those who don't agree with your idiotic and continually negative point of view. It's obvious that you:

1. Know little to nothing about baseball.

2. Are a total MORON.

3. You are a Total MORON

4. Definitely a total MORON

5. Should move to the Mohave Desert where you would have no internet access.  

So I guess I'll vote Yes just to get your goat, although I do believe in giving Cherrington a fair chance at doing his job which you don't seem to have any time for, but I wouldn't expect any better from you. Guess that's why I label you a TROLL !!

Antitrollpete/Antistoogepete

P.S. Now that I've wasted a few precious moments of my day replying to your silliness I'll go back to my quiet life and head off on my daily 25 mile bike ride along Lake Michigan to only hope you never surface in Milwaukee.  

I plead with you, please take a slow boat to the Mohave !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Wow! Crickets fom Ben.

Not even a decent trade rumor. Looking at a bunch of 33 year old plus free agets is't going to putthe Sox on the front page anytme soon, or rebuild the team, either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to rightymclefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow! Crickets fom Ben.

Not even a decent trade rumor. Looking at a bunch of 33 year old plus free agets is't going to putthe Sox on the front page anytme soon, or rebuild the team, either.

[/QUOTE]

Righty, 

Like you I would love to see the Sox contend this coming year and not sure why we couldn't give Hunter a one or two year deal to at least give the Sox a short term contract to bridge to the future. But I'm willing to see what happens in the following months. The minors are obviously full of good future prospects who might be ready in 2013-14 and I'd hate to see the Sox mortgage the future away by trading too many of those young player. The future of this club will be wisely signing some veteran players in their thirties, some younger if available and players who are coming up in the next few years.

It will be interesting if they go after Hamilton. I've mixed thoughts on that. With his history I don't think he'll be offered a long term contract for crazy money, but I'd be in favor of 3-4 years.

Cheers,

Hetch     

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Wow! Crickets fom Ben.

[/QUOTE]

Righty, 

Like you I would love to see the Sox contend this coming year and not sure why we couldn't give Hunter a one or two year deal to at least give the Sox a short term contract to bridge to the future. But I'm willing to see what happens in the following months. The minors are obviously full of good future prospects who might be ready in 2013-14 and I'd hate to see the Sox mortgage the future away by trading too many of those young player. The future of this club will be wisely signing some veteran players in their thirties, some younger if available and players who are coming up in the next few years.

It will be interesting if they go after Hamilton. I've mixed thoughts on that. With his history I don't think he'll be offered a long term contract for crazy money, but I'd be in favor of 3-4 years.

Cheers,

Hetch     

[/QUOTE]

He wanted to go to a guarenteed contender for his last couple years and already targeted detroit as a team with aneed and a good fit. He said the deal was worked out in an hour. Sox didnt have a chance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No GM has true free reign to do what they want. I dont think he has to check with LL on every single move like some here also believe. If they had the lack of confidence you seem to think they have in him, I doubt they would have even considered him for the job.

He started in scouting and player development, something Theo never did. Hes a better evaluator of talent than Theo was.

[/QUOTE]
    They do not seem to want him to do anything big either. You have to be naive to think that he engineered that trade with the Dodgers, that had Luchinno's fingerprints all over it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

no

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    They do not seem to want him to do anything big either. You have to be naive to think that he engineered that trade with the Dodgers, that had Luchinno's fingerprints all over it.

[/QUOTE]

As with all huge sums of money and players being exchanged, Everyone is involved from owners to the GM...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox didnt have a chance

The Sox passed on Torii racist Hunter, and thank goodness they didn't go 30 million plus for the old bench part-time bum.

[/QUOTE]

dumb post of the day...Congrats!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm not confident that anyone could turn the Red Sox into a contender in the short term.

Ben Cherington may not be the problem.

Red Sox fans should hope Cherington exceeds expectations.

[/QUOTE]

What about Seattle?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

Really? whys that? Short term meaning 2 years?

Advancing to the postseason in the next two years, after failing with a star-studded lineup the past three years, would be an impressive feat indeed.

I know well that fans of a last-place club have high hopes and aspirations for their team.

[/QUOTE]

Wow. Then why do you hang out on a last place team's board when it really never made sense to begin with?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow! Crickets fom Ben.

[/QUOTE]

Ooooo. That's too bad. Time to find another team.