Does anyone know what the White Sox are asking for Floyd??Cubs for Garza??

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Does anyone know what the White Sox are asking for Floyd??Cubs for Garza??

I have not heard they want 3 top prospects. They won't get it.

I think they would take Middlebrooks & Ranaudo (who I think are both over-rated by many posters on this site). Personally, I like Cecchini and Bogaerts as Youk's replacement more than Middlebrooks.

I'd try to get them to take Middlebrooks, Pimental, Bowden (out of options) and Anderson or Exposito.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

You didn't ask me but I'd guess "going rate " for relatively younger than prime yet proven starting ability pitchers is way too high for Sox right now.

I'm thinking your best pitching prospect from AA or AAA, best position player from same, plus a solid high-ceiling guy from High A ball.
    In other words, Ranaudo or Wilson, Lavarnway, and perhaps one of Middlebrooks, Brentz, or Jacobs.
    With Bard , Doubront, Tazawa, Miller, Christiansen, presumedly serviceable; possible return of Dice-K by All Star break, and the emergency overflow of Cook/Silva/Padilla/Maine......we really don't need to spend the prospects for Garza or Floyd.
    BUT if we get multiple prospects from Cubs for Theo ? Let's talk !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Moon-you posted while I was writing.
    Wouldn't give away Ranaudo but I'd JUMP at your last option !

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The White Sox (and Cubs) might be wise to wait until the trade deadline when the market for starting pitchers may be hotter than the market is now. Most of the expected contenders currently have deep rotations.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Tend to agree.

Of course, John Lannan is there for the taking.  If anyone wants him...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone know what the White Sox are asking for Floyd??Cubs for Garza??:
    [QUOTE]The White Sox (and Cubs) might be wise to wait until the trade deadline when the market for starting pitchers may be hotter than the market is now. Most of the expected contenders currently have deep rotations.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

What about Detroit?

I think 2 years of Floys should fetch more than 1 1/3 years. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone know what the White Sox are asking for Floyd??Cubs for Garza??:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone know what the White Sox are asking for Floyd??Cubs for Garza?? : What about Detroit? I think 2 years of Floys should fetch more than 1 1/3 years. 
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    I like the young Tiger rotation of Justin Verlander (29 years old), Doug Fister (28), Max Scherzer (27), Rick Porcello (23) and Jacob Turner (20), four of whom carried the Tigers to the American League Championship Series. Phil Coke (29) provides depth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Does anyone know what the White Sox are asking for Floyd??Cubs for Garza??": [QUOTE]The White Sox (and Cubs) might be wise to wait until the trade deadline when the market for starting pitchers may be hotter than the market is now. Most of the expected contenders currently have deep rotations. Posted by hill55[/QUOTE] Agreed...If I'm the White Sox and Cubs, I'd hang onto both. By the sound of their respective asking prices, that's what they intend to do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya now that garza's salary is set for the upcoming season, it is like trade chatter will pick up. with theo comp still undercided, who knows what could happen. Maybe a scenario arises where selig decides that the cubs have to give us 2 top 10 prospects with one being a top 5 and theo decides that he would rather keep the prospects going forward deal us garza instead given that we send a prospect or 2 his way. As for gavin floyd, i would not give up anything near middlebrooks, ranuado or lavarnway for him. A guy with a career era over 4 is not worth top prospects. Maybe something like workman and lars anderson for him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

What the White Sox want for Gavin Floyd or what the Cubs want for Matt Garza are players the Sox can't provide unless they drain the farm system and set it back another 2-3 years.   Either team would laugh at offerings of Michael Bowden or Lars Anderson.

Better off to call 2012 a transitional year and look ahead ..... long term.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

In Response to Does anyone know what the White Sox are asking for Floyd??Cubs for Garza??:
    [QUOTE]There is no question we need at least one added quality pitcher now. I would like to see two and leave Bard and Aceves in the pen. With that the pen would be solid, deep, and we could stop worrying about it. With one we get either Bard or Aceves back to the pen. Again, that will probably be enough there. It seems to me that Chicago is very agreeable to trading Floyd. I have heard they want our top three prospects. I would like to know for sure. If they really want one high prospect pitcher and one such position player plus a throw in we should pull the trigger. I am in the same position when chasing Garza. He is worth the same three. He has been signed to a very club favorable contract also. Someone on this board like Moon must know pretty much the asking price. I am not so interest in what you think about making the trade as what you think it would take. Thank you.
    Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE]

The GM's for "more or less" certain, people on these boards no

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]What the White Sox want for Gavin Floyd or what the Cubs want for Matt Garza are players the Sox can't provide unless they drain the farm system and set it back another 2-3 years.   Either team would laugh at offerings of Michael Bowden or Lars Anderson. Better off to call 2012 a transitional year and look ahead ..... long term.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

I am not sure it would be that high.  Two years of Shaun Marcum was worth one top 50 prospect.  Two years of Zack Greinke was worth 2 top 100 prospects plus a shortstop.  (If you ignore Cain and Betancourt in that deal.)

Both pitchers fall in between Greinke and Marcum.  So what is the medium?  A top 50 prospect (Middlebrooks) and a young, controllable starting player/pitcher? Or two 100 prospects?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When we have guys like Cecchini & Bogaerts (plus Vitek & Tejada and Coyle), we can afford to part with Middlebrooks.

We had a deep draft last year and will have extra picks this year as well. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone know what the White Sox are asking for Floyd??Cubs for Garza?? : I am not sure it would be that high.  Two years of Shaun Marcum was worth one top 50 prospect.  Two years of Zack Greinke was worth 2 top 100 prospects plus a shortstop.  (If you ignore Cain and Betancourt in that deal.) Both pitchers fall in between Greinke and Marcum.  So what is the medium?  A top 50 prospect (Middlebrooks) and a young, controllable starting player/pitcher? Or two 100 prospects?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Despite a brief appearance at No. 42 on Keith Law's midseason prospect list, I doubt many today would consider Will Middlebrooks a Top 50 prospect (or even a Top 100 prospect).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think the White Sox were asking for Lackey.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone know what the White Sox are asking for Floyd??Cubs for Garza?? : I am not sure it would be that high.  Two years of Shaun Marcum was worth one top 50 prospect.  Two years of Zack Greinke was worth 2 top 100 prospects plus a shortstop.  (If you ignore Cain and Betancourt in that deal.) Both pitchers fall in between Greinke and Marcum.  So what is the medium?  A top 50 prospect (Middlebrooks) and a young, controllable starting player/pitcher? Or two 100 prospects?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]  Lawrie was rated a top 10 prospect before the trade...Middlebrooks never ever got close to a top 10

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

I completely disagree with anyone who says Middlebrooks should be in this deal.  I dont think Floyd who is has a mid 4 ERA most seasons and is a hot/cold pitcher most of his career is worth a future allstar 3B with power.  He is lined up perfectly to replace an aging Kevin Youkilis.  Boegarts will be the future SS when he is ready.  He has already surpassed Iglesias as a better prospect but is just to young to rush at this point.  This season will be huge for Boegarts and Middlebrooks since there will be a lot of eyes on their performances.

I think Garza is worth a more than Floyd, but I still wouldnt part with the future.

If I am going to send a kings ransom to a team it will be for a #1 stud like Matt Cain, Cole Hamels or King Felix. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Theo made many mistakes with certain bad free agent signings but what hurt the most was the depletion of the farm system.    Did he have the best talent evaluators and development people available ?    It seems not.  He also kept Varitek and Wakefield around 2 years longer than he should have.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I completely disagree with anyone who says Middlebrooks should be in this deal.  I dont think Floyd who is has a mid 4 ERA most seasons and is a hot/cold pitcher most of his career is worth a future allstar 3B with power.  He is lined up perfectly to replace an aging Kevin Youkilis.  Boegarts will be the future SS when he is ready.  He has already surpassed Iglesias as a better prospect but is just to young to rush at this point.  This season will be huge for Boegarts and Middlebrooks since there will be a lot of eyes on their performances. I think Garza is worth a more than Floyd, but I still wouldnt part with the future. If I am going to send a kings ransom to a team it will be for a #1 stud like Matt Cain, Cole Hamels or King Felix. 
    Posted by jb12bb[/QUOTE]
    Over the past three seasons, Gavin Floyd ranks just ahead of Matt Cain and Cole Hamels in Wins Above Replacement:

http://www.fangraphs.com/

Go to Leaders / Pitching / Multiple Seasons / 2009-2011

Perhaps the Red Sox should not trade a "future allstar 3B with power," but Will Middlebrooks hardly fits the bill with his staggering strikeout rate* and low walk rate:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=middle001wil

* the minor league strikeout rate of Middlebrooks is significantly higher than that of Mark Reynolds, who skipped Triple A ball in making his MLB debut at Middlebrooks' current age

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I completely disagree with anyone who says Middlebrooks should be in this deal.  I dont think Floyd who is has a mid 4 ERA most seasons and is a hot/cold pitcher most of his career is worth a future allstar 3B with power.  

1) Counting Floyd's first 4 years (ages 21-24) with a total of 29 starts as a basis of saying Floyd is "hot/cold" is a gross distortion of the truth. Once Floyd became a regular starter in 2008 at age 25, he has been one of the most consistent pitchers over the last 4 years. His ERA has not been above 4.37 or below 3.84.

2) There is no credible scout who is claiming Middlebrooks is a "future Allstar". I'm no expert on prospects, but I'll bet one of Cecchini or Bogaerts ends up better than Middlebooks.

He is lined up perfectly to replace an aging Kevin Youkilis.  Boegarts will be the future SS when he is ready.  

Bogaerts may end up being better suited for 3B.

He has already surpassed Iglesias as a better prospect but is just to young to rush at this point.  This season will be huge for Boegarts and Middlebrooks since there will be a lot of eyes on their performances.

Just becaus people are watching doesn't mean they will be "huge" years.

I think Garza is worth a more than Floyd, but I still wouldnt part with the future.

I think they are close to even, but the Cubs want more for Garza. 

If I am going to send a kings ransom to a team it will be for a #1 stud like Matt Cain, Cole Hamels or King Felix.  

See Hill's response. While I do not think Floys is as good as Cain, he is pretty close.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone know what the White Sox are asking for Floyd??Cubs for Garza?? :   Lawrie was rated a top 10 prospect before the trade...Middlebrooks never ever got close to a top 10
    Posted by iamme17[/QUOTE]

Lawrie's highest ranking on Baseball Ameerica was 40, prior to 2011.  In 2010 he was ranked 59 and in 2009, he was ranked 81.  No top tens.

MLB.com currently ranks Middlebrooks at 56.  Slightly behind Lawrie's ranking at 40, but enough to keep the argument open...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone know what the White Sox are asking for Floyd??Cubs for Garza?? : Despite a brief appearance at No. 42 on Keith Law's midseason prospect list, I doubt many today would consider Will Middlebrooks a Top 50 prospect (or even a Top 100 prospect).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

MLB.com places him currently at 56.  BA Top 100 for 2012 should be out soon...