Does anyone think........

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Does anyone think........

In response to louisthelipp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We won't have 32 sent to the DL.

Middlebrooks, Bailey, Pedroia, Papi, and Ellbury won't be out for long times.

Deadwood Youk won't be here

Beckett isn't here to underperform.

Lester won't have another off year.

Ellsbury won't have a Spring training in August.

Morales, Dubrount, and Tazawa will continue to impress.

BV is gone.

Am a being a pollyanna?

Shame on me .

That is verbotten here.

Better to have Babe troll instead

And his trolling is "FUNNY"

[/QUOTE]

Good post. Hopefully Pike the Baseball Poster will be around more often than Pike the Internet Policeman and Grand Inquisitor. :)

The fact is that 2012 represented a perfect storm of just about everything going wrong that could possibly go wrong. This team was playing sub-.300 ball in the final two months of the season. Not being thrilled with the offseason moves is one thing, but to say we haven't already improved is quite another. I'm not a fan of the Dempster signing, for example (because of price tag more than anything else), but you can't say he's not a huge step up from Dice-K and Aaron Cook.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The club as constructed now is good for 80+ wins.

[/QUOTE]

We had two pitchers in double digit wins last year (11).
    We've added Dempster. Just where are these 80 wins going to come from? Each of the starting 5 would have to win a minimum of 12 games average to meet that goal, with the BP picking up the remaining 20. A tall order to be sure.

I just don't see it happening. We will lucky to play .500 ball.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to YupImStillHere's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

A better arm in RF, more stolen bases. more right handed power. A recovered Bucholz.  Have we answered the troll's question yet?

[/QUOTE]

Actually, no.

In typical pike troll fashion, you never answered the question, you danced around it.

The question was, do you think they would finish in last place again, not whether they had improved.

Try again.

[/QUOTE]

I don't recall your answer.  Nothing wrong there, I've done the same thing in my professional life.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to YupImStillHere's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't recall your answer.  Nothing wrong there, I've done the same thing in my professional life.

[/QUOTE]

No one had asked me.

But now that you have, I will say I think they battle for the basement with the orioles.

[/QUOTE]

Swap the O's for the Yankees and you might be on to something...

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Why couldn't Pumpsie come up with that list. He has Red Sox posters all over his bedroom wall and rarely has a good word to say in here. Go figure.

[/QUOTE]

That's what is missing here.  The people that we think will range from mediocre to good, generally tend to have analysis ranging from good to excellent.  The whiners analysis is usually limited to 'him stoopid'.  And, of course, the reason they do that is because they know, even if they bothered trying to figure it out, it would likely be picked apart in short order.

If they want, they can start with the simplest of things, like OPS by position, to see what we should expect to score, and then go from there.

I doubt we'd even get that from them.

[/QUOTE]

It is not necessary to evaluate OPS by position. Our problem will never be runs scored. For most of last year we were in the top 3 in team OPS and still were a .500 team or worse. The problem is pitching. Everyone knows that. Its gone downhill since the 07 season and last year it ranked 12th in the AL in ERA. I agree with what you wrote somewhere here, that we need an ace, and I would go one step further and say that we also need a solid #2 SP who is not going to spend a lot of time on the DL. If you look at the current pitching staff its no better than the staff last year. Now one can hope that some of the pitchers "pitch to their abilities", but I would rather look at what they have actually done recently as a predictor of future performance. I see this team battling for 4th place with the Orioles.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We've added Dempster. Just where are these 80 wins going to come from? Each of the starting 5 would have to win a minimum of 12 games average to meet that goal, with the BP picking up the remaining 20. A tall order to be sure.

[/QUOTE]

Eh.  Not sure its such a tall order.  If the rotation is as stands, something to the effect of Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Dempster, doubront/Morales/Tazawa, it is not very difficult at all to imagine that rotation averaging 12 wins.  No 'aces' in there (unless Lester or Buchholz pitch their best, doubtful), but a solid rotation front to back.  And a bullpen with any mix/match of Bailey/Bard/Tazawa/Uehara/Morales/Aceves/Miller/Melancon, thats about as stocked as it gets.  So, not hard to imagine them picking up 20 either.  

And a batting order, as stands, of Ellsbury, Victorino, Pedroia, Papi, Napoli, Middlebrooks, Salty, Gomes/Kalish/Nava, Ciriaco/Mendoza isn't conjuring images of murderer's rows, but i challenge you to name a line-up with a tougher overall 1-7.  The offense will do its part.

This club, as constructed, doesn't seem to have world series written on it by any means.  And, sure, after the debacle of 2012, of course I am inserting a little optimism by saying 80 wins.  Things have to go right to get to the threshold and above. People have to stay healthy.  But, based on what I lay out above, I think it is very reasonable to project success.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

• Lester has averaged 15-9 since he broke in.  Did you count that?
    • Bucholz 14-7 in full years
    • Lackey 15-11 in full years
    • Dempster 13-10 since becoming a starter again
    • Doubront 11-10

68-47 from the starters, 23-24 from the BP, for 91-71.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

• Lester has averaged 15-9 since he broke in.  Did you count that?
    • Bucholz 14-7 in full years
    • Lackey 15-11 in full years
    • Dempster 13-10 since becoming a starter again
    • Doubront 11-10

68-47 from the starters, 23-24 from the BP, for 91-71.

[/QUOTE]

Hopefully all stay healthy......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Why couldn't Pumpsie come up with that list. He has Red Sox posters all over his bedroom wall and rarely has a good word to say in here. Go figure.

[/QUOTE]

That's what is missing here.  The people that we think will range from mediocre to good, generally tend to have analysis ranging from good to excellent.  The whiners analysis is usually limited to 'him stoopid'.  And, of course, the reason they do that is because they know, even if they bothered trying to figure it out, it would likely be picked apart in short order.

If they want, they can start with the simplest of things, like OPS by position, to see what we should expect to score, and then go from there.

[/QUOTE]

It is not necessary to evaluate OPS by position. Our problem will never be runs scored. For most of last year we were in the top 3 in team OPS and still were a .500 team or worse. The problem is pitching. Everyone knows that. Its gone downhill since the 07 season and last year it ranked 12th in the AL in ERA. I agree with what you wrote somewhere here, that we need an ace, and I would go one step further and say that we also need a solid #2 SP who is not going to spend a lot of time on the DL. If you look at the current pitching staff its no better than the staff last year. Now one can hope that some of the pitchers "pitch to their abilities", but I would rather look at what they have actually done recently as a predictor of future performance. I see this team battling for 4th place with the Orioles.

[/QUOTE]

You don't need to do OPS by position, though it is only a 5-minute job to sharpen your opinion.

But you can't make a reasonable projection without guessing runs scored and runs against.  W/L is a pretty straight projection of RS and RA.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I don't know what the orignal post was, so I am shooting in the dark...

But what I can say is that I am finally getting some sense of direction as to what the season will look like, now that we are finally getting pieces put together.

AM I feeling that we got all the mahvelous players we need to impress and inspire us all to consider this as "The Team" we could all cheer for and ... as some have become entitled to feel ... be sure that we would win it all.  My response is "um, no."  But I am glad to consider real players in real positions ... and am glad to consider the up side of the whole.  I am glad to consider the tapestry the Cherrington is attempting to weave together before I throw in my dark view of the season and or player.   

I am assuming that the OP had a somewhat less stellar level of expectation than a WS crown.  I know what that makes of me and you, as the old saw laughingly points out.  Speaking into the datk, then, I say we are in a place where the dancing will be less attractive than easy, but will be worth the invite.  For the Red Sox to finish last in the ALE again, everything must go wrong.  I suggest that even though Baltimore won the division, all things must go properly for it to happen again.  I think the Yanquis will again be challenged by age and injury, but again the Bombers will be no push over.  Toronto is going to do well ... unless all the new stars remain individuals and not teammates - and if Reyes plays more than a half season or so.

The ALE is not your father's ALE anymore ...

What it does mean ... is that there will be fresh interest unlike what we have seen in some time ... it's gonna be a blast, a six month or more of spring and summer storms.  Ladies and gentlemen, may I suggest we are gonna see a heck of a season!  With the LAA Yanquis amd the LA Red Sox thrown in ... oops, I mean Angels and Dodgers ...  it is gonna be a weird season.

Oh Yeah .. the Rays ... I didn't mention them ... but, surely we aren't assuming they are going away.

Interesting season.

GO Red Sox!!!!  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Rays and Jays battle it out for the title..... Red Sox and Baltimore both finish 15+ games out..... Yankmees in the middle somwhere and always in the way

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rays and Jays battle it out for the title..... Red Sox and Baltimore both finish 15+ games out..... Yankmees in the middle somwhere and always in the way

[/QUOTE]

As always, it would be interesting to hear what you think the team OPS will be, and/or the ERA of the starting 5.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

The sox will still finish last but may be an 80 win team if they can get another decent pitcher

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Again, 12 hours and nothing from the whiners containing numbers.  

I sent out an E-mail on Thursday telling telling the people at my job that their 2013 budget had to contain a breakdown, by customer, of everything they planned to sell.

Why?  Because the devil is in the details.  I've seen more glossy presentations than I care to count.  After I've seen 42 pages of this stuff, I ask, 'how do you arrive at $2M for customer xyz?' and why is your product margin going from 60% to 68%, cheaper components or higher prices?'.   A week later, the 42-page presentation is replaced by a 3-page B&W, but at least with semi-attainable targets.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the whiners take up the challenge of OPS by position, and the ERA of the 5 starters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I take it pike has been banned again? His comments are responded to, but the originals are gone.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I take it pike has been banned again? His comments are responded to, but the originals are gone.

[/QUOTE]

I think you forgot to mention that one giant loser with a parrot on his shoulder named Babe, a Yankee troll, who started this insulting thread on a Sox forum and contributed under at least two separate screennames in it has obviously been banned as well. But you're a Reds' fan who's only focus is Sox fans posting on their own forum.

How much longer are you going to pretend you just don't see any of the Yankee trolls posting here -- even when you read the same board, and you're in one of their threads?