DOES JOHN HENRY TRULY BELIEVE HE CAN STAND PAT THIS OFF SEASON WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Re: DOES JOHN HENRY TRULY BELIEVE HE CAN STAND PAT THIS OFF SEASON WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE?

Good responses all Zac. And I had forgotten the fact that our contract for Lackey included a team option for the league minimum should he lose significant time, signalling our knowleage of a pre-existing condition. As for Papi, we could have locked up this stud hitter for $20 million plus incentives for 2 yrs, but now will pay him $15 for 1 or 32ish for 2. We also unnecessarily messed with a beloved Red Sox figure, who is a very important club house guy. Just careless in my opinion and an indication of a team in disarray. Will it straighten out? We shall all see...

In Response to Re: DOES JOHN HENRY TRULY BELIEVE HE CAN STAND PAT THIS OFF SEASON WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE?:
    [QUOTE] The only thing worse than having a low payroll and no chance to win, is having a high payroll and no chance to win! This is not the time to clamp down on spending, quite the contrary! It's exactly the time to get the required pieces at all cost. Failure to do so would be penny wise and pound foolish. agreed instead of trying to save a dollar and throwing 3 away it's like trying to save 15 mill and throwing 170 mill away I don't  see them not going over henry has to acknowledge they have something like 25 million worth of pitching on the DL even more if jenks doesn't make it back Some good thoughts to consider: 1. It's likely that anywhere from $6.4-9.6 million of Lackey's contract for 2012 is covered by insurance. no insurance for lackey ( it was a preexisting condition ) but most likely some on diceK 2. As crazy as it sounds, Dice K could be of help in August.   yup, could be, but that can't / shouldn't  be counting on that 3. Youk should be back with his big bat. Valentine should be able to help him recover from some of the, ahem, controversies of last season. IMO it's very reasonable to expect a big yr from youk P.S. One final thought and part of why I'm so irked with out front office/ownership this offseason. David Ortiz could have been had for $10 plus incentives for this season and next. His agent was feverishly trying to get a deal done in October, but met with a disinterested front office. We foolishly tried to jam him for two lousy million, and what was the result?: We offered him arbitration and will now be paying him $15 million for this year, and he'll either walk or be paid even more for the following year. It's just the kind of "death by a thousand cuts" mistake Theo would have made. You guys ok with spending $5 million...on nothing? I'm sure not. I'm not sure about all that but you got one of the best hitters in BB 4 only 1 yr, what's not to like about that
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clff. Show clff's posts

Re: DOES JOHN HENRY TRULY BELIEVE HE CAN STAND PAT THIS OFF SEASON WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE?

The Red Sox payroll for 2012 is estimated to be about $8 million short of the luxury tax threshhold ($178 M) and if they exceed it, they will be taxed at a 40% rate. This is not a big problem if they only go a couple of million over but keeping it under the threshhold will reduce to tax rate for 2013.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

even if there was insurance on some of lackey's money that would be irrelevent, this season it is not about them simply going "cheap", it's about them trying very hard not to exceed the luxury tax threshold because of the consequences it would create both this season and beyond. lackey's salary is his salary as far as luxury tax purposes, whether they were able to recoup some via insurance is irrelevent. 

if sox go over the tax threshold this year they will pay 30% but it would jump to 40% next year, then 50% in following years if they were to exceed it again. 

however, if they stay beneath the threshold this season (and any following seasons) then the next time they choose to exceed that threshold their rate would drop to 17.5%. big difference between paying a guy an extra 40 or 50 extra cents on the dollar as opposed to 17 and a half. exceeding it this season will hamstring them even more in future years than they already are with bad contracts. 

on the bright side this is still a very talented roster and any notion that they will just be "tanking" this season by not running out and buying the fans another expensive new toy this winter is absurd. sure they have needs, but sometimes when provided an opportunity, seemingly lesser valued players rise to the occasion and compliment the all-stars nicely. last season the acquisition of aceves was an afterthought to most fans, this winter he is being penciled in as one of the more important guys on the staff. last season the yankees essentially picked up garcia and colon off the scrap heap for peanuts, and ended up getting 20 wins outta them and better than 300 IP. good teams find ways to get the best outta their bit players. as far as closers, the cards just won the series and ryan franklin was their closer when the season began, i'm not panicking yet.

personally i'd still take my chances with this roster over most in the league, they can and will compete...whether they can get over the hump and valentine can get the most outta these guys for an entire season is what remains to be seen. lets have a lil patience and see how the offseason shakes out. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Funny how now that TE is gone, it's Henry's fault nothing is being done. BC is clueless so I guess the blame has to go somewhere. Perhaps if Ben learned to have "substantive" conversation, we would be in better shape.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"LET ME BE CLEAR", AS YOU ALL KNOW I AM ALL ABOUT "TRANSFORMING" THE EXISTING ROSTER......  HOWEVER,  HISTORY IS A GOOD INDICATER THAT IT IS "FOOLS GOLD" TO CHASE SOME OF THESE "SO CALLED STARS" AND REWARD THEM FOR A COUPLE OF GOOD SEASONS WITH FUTURE $$$ AS THEY GET FAT & OLDER RIGHT BEFORE OUR EYES......  WHAT I DO ADVOCATE IS TO BE DARING & BOLD AND MAKE SIGNINGS/TRADES/PROMOTIONS FROM WITHIN, WITH AN EYE ON UPGRADES & THE CHECKBOOK TOO ......WITH THAT SAID, THIS YEARS F A CLASS HAS NOTHING TO WRITE HOME ABOUT....  BUT FOR SURE, JOHN LACKY & CARL CRAWFORD WAS THEO & TITOS UNDOING.....  ONLY QUESTION BEING, CAN CARL CRAWFORD BOUNCE BACK TO $OOTH THE PAIN OF 142MIL......  ALSO, CAN A-GON CONTINUE TO LOOK LIKE TED WILLIAMS & FRED LYNN BEFORE THE SUN SETS ON HIS CONTRACT ???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Transforming is good even if it is just getting rid of Tek and Wake. Go Sox!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: DOES JOHN HENRY TRULY BELIEVE HE CAN STAND PAT THIS OFF SEASON WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE?:
    [QUOTE]Transforming is good even if it is just getting rid of Tek and Wake. Go Sox!
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE] YES IT IS........  AS DAD WOULD SAY....."SON, YA DON'T WANT TO GET CAUGHT GETTING OLD" !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

posted at 12/8/2011 7:22 AM EST

First: 7/19/2008
    Last: 12/8/2011
    Ahhh! Some here apparantly think that fixing what needs fixing on our team should be free of cost? Hmmm....if only life were that easy! And may I say, as always, John Henry and the boys appreciate the efforts of many here to guard their wallets. Kudos to you, and you know who you are!! As for the rest of us, we're actually hoping for what all true fans hope for: a chance to win a World Series ring. Not to be "a good team" or simply making the playoffs, we want a legit chance for a ring. But due to some blunderous moves by our former "boy wonder" and some bad luck, we have some major needs right now. We have no closer and a bullpen filled with buffoons with the exception of Bard+Aceves. We need another starter, ( and no...Bard should not be converted to a starter or made the closer...yet. He's exactly where he needs to be this year), and possibly two if Buch's back problems continue. The parade of tripple A players occupying right field was a joke, we simply need to wrap up a true major leaguer and be done with it. But I am certainly not claiming the end of the world draws nigh, only that this team is simply too good and too expensive to be allowed to fail this season. The only thing worse than having a low payroll and no chance to win, is having a high payroll and no chance to win! This is not the time to clamp down on spending, quite the contrary! It's exactly the time to get the required pieces at all cost. Failure to do so would be penny wise and pound foolish.

Some good thoughts to consider:
    1. It's likely that anywhere from $6.4-9.6 million of Lackey's contract for 2012 is covered by insurance.
    2. As crazy as it sounds, Dice K could be of help in August.
    3. Youk should be back with his big bat. Valentine should be able to help him recover from some of the, ahem, controversies of last season.

P.S.

One final thought and part of why I'm so irked with out front office/ownership this offseason. David Ortiz could have been had for $10 plus incentives for this season and next. His agent was feverishly trying to get a deal done in October, but met with a disinterested front office. We foolishly tried to jam him for two lousy million, and what was the result?: We offered him arbitration and will now be paying him $15 million for this year, and he'll either walk or be paid even more for the following year. It's just the kind of "death by a thousand cuts" mistake Theo would have made. You guys ok with spending $5 million...on nothing? I'm sure not.

Sniffle,sniffle,wah,wah!  Dude do you need a tissue?

If the consequences are that cry babies like you and all the rest of the fair weathered biatches like you go away and start rooting for another team-- sign me up for that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

Teak I gotta believe this is your first off-season with the Sox. Either that or youre  a crybaby. Maybe both.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

And you felt the need to post the same foolishness under two different names? Brilliant!!! Thanks for contributing nothing to this conversation.

[QUOTE]Teak I gotta believe this is your first off-season with the Sox. Either that or youre  a crybaby. Maybe both.
    Posted by coachzap[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I get the feeling that the posters are beginning to try to morph us into the Yankees!  For years this board has used rhetoric disparaging the Yankee machine and the money they spend on FA signings as being bad for baseball...as something that needed reining in and the playing field leveled...and now are trying to emulate them!  The Sox fans have always pointed out that money does not buy championships...and now want to try to buy one.  Ownership with the 2nd highest payroll in MLB is being called "cheap" by posters.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Does he think he can stand pat without consequence?

Of course.

they sell out every night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

A Ranting, Spoiled, Alarmist Teakus Needs This.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Does he think he can stand pat without consequence?

Why shouldn't he? They finished 3rd last year while spending ridiculous amounts for FAs.  Stand pat and get some bang for your buck when you see a player that might help you instead of overpaying for non productive players. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Sox NEED Cuddyer(sp?) in my opinion. I know the Twins offered him something like 3 years 25 million but if the sox offered him 4 and 30 I think they could get him and he is a solid offensive and defensive RFer and can play 1st when they need him to.  He is a great clubhouse guy too. a No Brainer who is a clone of Pedroia make up wise. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Does he think he can stand pat without consequence? Why shouldn't he? They finished 3rd last year while spending ridiculous amounts for FAs.  Stand pat and get some bang for your buck when you see a player that might help you instead of overpaying for non productive players. 
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]

How astute is this. Get FAs that are productive and pass on those that are unproductive. If I could only play the stock market that way. Buy low and sell high. Only buy stocks that are sure winners and stay away from stocks that will decline in price. Why didn't I ever think of that? Thank you so much for the sage advice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Ever notice how few times our little Fish ever espouses a coherant view about anything substantive? He just swims around the site mumbling conspiracy theories about other posters motives for posting here, and taking shots at others thought out views. Poor lil' Pikester. One day maybe he'll see the value in thinking about a subject, forming a view, and then expressing it for others to consider. Some may agree with it, others disagree. But true adults eventually learn the value of a civil discourse.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DOES JOHN HENRY TRULY BELIEVE HE CAN STAND PAT THIS OFF SEASON WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE? : How astute is this. Get FAs that are productive and pass on those that are unproductive. If I could only play the stock market that way. Buy low and sell high. Only buy stocks that are sure winners and stay away from stocks that will decline in price. Why didn't I ever think of that? Thank you so much for the sage advice.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Teakus,

Who exactly failed?  The guys that got hurt?

They finished the season with 2 healthy, legit MLB starters - Beckett and Lester.  Beckett was a candidate for the CY Young before he twisted his ankle and finished the season with his 2 worst outings of the year.  Lester also had 2 bad outings at the end of the year.  Lackey was playing on an arm that was ready to fall off for most of the season. 

Pap, who is gone, blew 3 saves all of last year.  Unfortunately 2 of the blown saves were in September.

Crawford had a bad year but his bad year has to be offset by the unexpected great year by Ellsbury.  The trio of Youk, Scuturo, and Lowrie were beat up.  Lowrie's early season problems and the slow start caused Youk and Lowrie to play when they should have taken a few days off. 

The Sox had pitching woes last year and that's the only play where they need to focus.  If they are going to spend money, it needs to be on pitching.  But given how much money tied up with Dice K and Lackey, I'm not too sure that they are going to want to jump at an over priced Free Agent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

DirtyWater, Teakus is aware of all of those things and they have all been discussed ad nauseum after the September collapse. Teakus is just lonely and is stirring the forum pot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A silly OP.  The Sox have just completed the retention of last year's lineup, the one that led MLB in OPS and runs scored.

Now they are presumably working on the pitching. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Not sure what ya mean by "who failed?". I did speak repeatedly about hoping that ownership doesn't allow this years team to fail by not adding the pieces required to make a legit run at a ring. Is that what ya mean? Last years Sept. collapse was, of course, the greatest collective failure in baseball history. No team has ever been 9 games up on Sept. 4th only to stumble all the way out of the playoffs. Lackey was a complete bust-worst starter numbers in Red Sox history while making $16 million.....wowsa! Crawford was mediocrity defined and at $21 mil must be considered a huge failure, in spite of how well Ellsbury did. One guy has nothing to do with the other. Look, this ownership group ponied up the dough bigtime last season. They are only guilty of trusting a proven to be inept Theo with whom to spend the money on and for how much. I'm sure nobody was more hurt and offended by the Sept. collapse than John Henry and the group. But now it's time to put away the hankerchiefs and focus on the coming season. We have no closer and a bullpen in shambles, only 2 guaranteed starters (Buch's gotta be viewed with suspicion. Low back fractures are usually congenital and very prone to reoccurence, especially in repetitive motion situations-like a pitcher's delivery.), no right fielder,etc. In short, we simply are 4-5 pieces away from being able to compete for a ring. So far, the Red Sox are behaving as if they don't have a need in the world. We'll see how we look in a month, and I certainly hope to be singing the praises of an ownership group that bucked up in the face of adversity and got our team what it needed to compete. Nothing would make me happier. We've seen years where they have and haven't opened their checkbooks, and this is sure looking like the former which would be a shame. As Pinstripezac so deftly pointed out in this very thread, not spending this season would be like saving $15 or $20 million and blowing $170 million. We're too expensive and good of a team not to add the final pieces needed. It would be pennywise and pound foolish, as I've said before.

[QUOTE]Teakus, Who exactly failed?  The guys that got hurt? They finished the season with 2 healthy, legit MLB starters - Beckett and Lester.  Beckett was a candidate for the CY Young before he twisted his ankle and finished the season with his 2 worst outings of the year.  Lester also had 2 bad outings at the end of the year.  Lackey was playing on an arm that was ready to fall off for most of the season.  Pap, who is gone, blew 3 saves all of last year.  Unfortunately 2 of the blown saves were in September. Crawford had a bad year but his bad year has to be offset by the unexpected great year by Ellsbury.  The trio of Youk, Scuturo, and Lowrie were beat up.  Lowrie's early season problems and the slow start caused Youk and Lowrie to play when they should have taken a few days off.  The Sox had pitching woes last year and that's the only play where they need to focus.  If they are going to spend money, it needs to be on pitching.  But given how much money tied up with Dice K and Lackey, I'm not too sure that they are going to want to jump at an over priced Free Agent.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Ummmm...I guess you could say they "completed the retention of last years lineup", if by that you mean they resigned Papi. But anyone can see they screwed that one up too. In a budget tight year it would have been nice to have gotten him for the $10+ figure in Oct, rather than the $15ish figure they'll get in arbitration. One would think that the additional $5 million would have, presumably, been used to finance our pitching needs. Just sayin'.

[QUOTE]A silly OP.  The Sox have just completed the retention of last year's lineup, the one that led MLB in OPS and runs scored. Now they are presumably working on the pitching. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]Not sure what ya mean by "who failed?". I did speak repeatedly about hoping that ownership doesn't allow this years team to fail by not adding the pieces required to make a legit run at a ring. Is that what ya mean? Last years Sept. collapse was, of course, the greatest collective failure in baseball history. No team has ever been 9 games up on Sept. 4th only to stumble all the way out of the playoffs. Lackey was a complete bust-worst starter numbers in Red Sox history while making $16 million.....wowsa! Crawford was mediocrity defined and at $21 mil must be considered a huge failure, in spite of how well Ellsbury did. One guy has nothing to do with the other. Look, this ownership group ponied up the dough bigtime last season. They are only guilty of trusting a proven to be inept Theo with whom to spend the money on and for how much. I'm sure nobody was more hurt and offended by the Sept. collapse than John Henry and the group. But now it's time to put away the hankerchiefs and focus on the coming season. We have no closer and a bullpen in shambles, only 2 guaranteed starters (Buch's gotta be viewed with suspicion. Low back fractures are usually congenital and very prone to reoccurence, especially in repetitive motion situations-like a pitcher's delivery.), no right fielder,etc. In short, we simply are 4-5 pieces away from being able to compete for a ring. So far, the Red Sox are behaving as if they don't have a need in the world. We'll see how we look in a month, and I certainly hope to be singing the praises of an ownership group that bucked up in the face of adversity and got our team what it needed to compete. Nothing would make me happier. We've seen years where they have and haven't opened their checkbooks, and this is sure looking like the former which would be a shame. As Pinstripezac so deftly pointed out in this very thread, not spending this season would be like saving $15 or $20 million and blowing $170 million. We're too expensive and good of a team not to add the final pieces needed. It would be pennywise and pound foolish, as I've said before. In Response to Re: DOES JOHN HENRY TRULY BELIEVE HE CAN STAND PAT THIS OFF SEASON WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE? :
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

Actually, the greatest collective failure, whatever that means, in Baseball was accomplished by the Yankees in 2004 ALCS.

I bashed Lackey all season long.  Newsflash - Lackey needed Tommy John surgery.  In other words, he was pitching with a severe injury all season long.

Crawford didn't make $21 million last year.  He made $14.8.  And yes, he had a bad year, but the red sox still had the best offense in the AL.

They fell apart in September because of pitching - period.  They fell apart because Lackey needed TJ surgery, Beckett had a bad ankle, Buch had a broken Back, Dice-K needed TJ surgery, and Wakefield was making his 22nd and 23rd starts of the season, which were about 15 more starts that anyone expected himn to make in 2011.  the fell apart in September because 2 of the 3 blown saves Pap all year long occurred in September.

Had they been able to field the same team they were fielding in June and July, they would have won the WS.

But if you need to rant and rave, then be my guest.  But the reason they fell apart was because of a lack of healthy starting pitching.  The Red Sox ranked 3rd for the month of September in scoring - clearly the offense played well enough to win.  But they ranked dead last in pitching with an era of 5.84, nearly 6 runs a game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Are people forgeting the money that was dished out to Crawford and Gonzalez.  And the year before that on Beckett's extension and Lackey's disaster contract. 

I see them being more financially responsible with their money.  Shorter deals and getting more bang for their buck with a mixture of young players and veterans who might have something to prove.

Sign two starters for what (CJ and Beuhrle) got per year.  The offense is fine, fix the bullpen and the two starting spots and this team can contend.