Does Playing a Strange Position Hurt the Player's Hitting?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Does Playing a Strange Position Hurt the Player's Hitting?

I asked this because I found something interesting.

In 1973, Yaz played 33 games at 3B -- 33 games, 141 PA. He batted .371 with 7 HR, 30 RBI 7 2B, .482 OBP, .629 SLG and 1.112 OPS.

He played 15 games in LF, 64 PA, and batted just .132 with 1 HR, 3 RBI, .281 OBP, .245 SLG and .527 OPS.

On the other hand, Kevin Youkilis has 20 games in his career in LF (79 PA) and is batting .230 with 1 HR, 1 RBI, .766 OPS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Does Playing a Strange Position Hurt the Player's Hitting?

It will affect every player differently. Depending on how well they adapt to the other position. How well they are doing there and how comfortable they are there. Every player is different.

I wouldn't go switching a players position right now unless he has had a good amount of time at that position unless the game was out of reach one way or the other. You want a player to be as comfortable and loose as possible at this point of the year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I can see how it could/would affect a player. The Yaz numbers from 1973 were amazing, especially considering how much he struggled defensively at 3B -- 12 errors and a .893 fielding pct.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think Youkilis playing 3b, getting beat up on a daily basis following stellar GoldGlove-esque play as a 1b MURDERED Kevin. But that's what I thought. And I'm sure it can be argued he would have fallen apart anyway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I asked this because I found something interesting.

In 1973, Yaz played 33 games at 3B -- 33 games, 141 PA. He batted .371 with 7 HR, 30 RBI 7 2B, .482 OBP, .629 SLG and 1.112 OPS.

He played 15 games in LF, 64 PA, and batted just .132 with 1 HR, 3 RBI, .281 OBP, .245 SLG and .527 OPS.

On the other hand, Kevin Youkilis has 20 games in his career in LF (79 PA) and is batting .230 with 1 HR, 1 RBI, .766 OPS.

NO !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

I think Youkilis playing 3b, getting beat up on a daily basis following stellar GoldGlove-esque play as a 1b MURDERED Kevin. But that's what I thought. And I'm sure it can be argued he would have fallen apart anyway.

You might be right about 3B, but Youk seemed be breaking down before he moved to 3B for A-Gon in 2011. He played 136 games in 2009 and 102 in 2010. Maybe going to 3B excelerated that breakdown, but I think he was already headed down that path. (And he never played more 150 or more).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I still don't understand the reasoning of Epstein (or those above him) that felt they absolutely had to have Adrian Gonzalez and that it would be simply an easy fit to move Youkilis to 3b. I always hated that, and still do. I liked the idea of getting AGON, and I was mostly happy with his play here despite all the nonsense, but I also was a big fan of Beltre and....well I'll stop there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Probably individual like sp says, but could see how it might improve a guy's hitting.  After fielding a strange position, hitting might seem somewhat welcome and suddenly easier because familiar.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Probably individual like sp says, but could see how it might improve a guy's hitting.  After fielding a strange position, hitting might seem somewhat welcome and suddenly easier because familiar.

another factor: in most situations, these guys are not playing equal time at both positions. so due to the smaller sample size, the numbers during a positional switch are affected more by a hot/cold streak. The same can be said when looking at L/R splits.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i think it often depends on what happens while on defense, a guy playing an unfamiliar position could boot a couple and get frustrated and take it into an AB, like the opposite when they tell you not to take  a bad at bat into the field...otoh some guys are probably able to adapt to playing another positon and still get it done at the plate..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Absolutely. Just common sense.