Don Buddin? Really?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Don Buddin? Really?

In response to joel49's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I just heard on BBTN that Salty's salami tonight was the first by a Red Sox player against NY in the 7th inning or later since Don Buddin in 1959.   Talk about a blast from the past (pun intended).  The only thing I'd remembered about Buddin was his penchant for booting balls.  Cool stat.

Did BBTN really make such a ridiculous and stupid statement as that?

Napoli hit a grand slam aginst the Yankees in the seventh inning LAST FRIDAY!!

[/QUOTE]

Right you are, notin!  Their collective memories are apparently as bad as mine.  I can't believe I didn't catch that.

[/QUOTE]

It's time to go Emily Litella with this thread, Joel.

Ro

Roll over, Don Buddin.  And tell Dick Stuart the news.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

First glove was a Don Buddin model and I also played SS in LL. He was my favorite RS player in those days.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

That was my first glove, too, Jim!  Hard for me to pick my favorite player, though.   Loved Williams, of course, as well as Frank Malzone, Pete Runnels, Sammy White, Bill Monbouquette and Earl Wilson (remember his no-no in which he homered?).   And of course, Pumpsie Green for obvious reasons. 

I was there. It went out to the left of the cf flag if it went to the right it would have been the second to leave the park there.

You were there, Jim?  Wow!  Outstanding!  It was a warm evening, and I was watching on my portable B&W television which I'd set up on our porch to cool off.  Interestingly, he hit that HR off Bo Belinsky, who had no hit the Orioles a few weeks earlier.   One of many great Sox memories.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I just heard on BBTN that Salty's salami tonight was the first by a Red Sox player against NY in the 7th inning or later since Don Buddin in 1959.   Talk about a blast from the past (pun intended).  The only thing I'd remembered about Buddin was his penchant for booting balls.  Cool stat.

Did BBTN really make such a ridiculous and stupid statement as that?

Napoli hit a grand slam aginst the Yankees in the seventh inning LAST FRIDAY!!

[/QUOTE]

Right you are, notin!  Their collective memories are apparently as bad as mine.  I can't believe I didn't catch that.

[/QUOTE]

It's time to go Emily Litella with this thread, Joel.

Ro

Roll over, Don Buddin.  And tell Dick Stuart the news.

[/QUOTE]

Tongue Out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to piersall's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

First glove was a Don Buddin model and I also played SS in LL. He was my favorite RS player in those days.

That was my first glove, too, Jim!  Hard for me to pick my favorite player, though.   Loved Williams, of course, as well as Frank Malzone, Pete Runnels, Sammy White, Bill Monbouquette and Earl Wilson (remember his no-no in which he homered?).   And of course, Pumpsie Green for obvious reasons. 

[/QUOTE]

Joel; I got three autographs as a kid: Tom Brewer, Frank Sullivan, and Sammy White. Still got em.

[/QUOTE]

Very cool.  My dad caught a foul ball off the bat of Malzone and gave it to me.  I used it to play ball.  Hey, we needed a ball!  Wish I still had it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In response to piersall's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Joel; I got three autographs as a kid: Tom Brewer, Frank Sullivan, and Sammy White. Still got em.

[/QUOTE]

Very cool.  My dad caught a foul ball off the bat of Malzone and gave it to me.  I used it to play ball.  Hey, we needed a ball!  Wish I still had it.

[/QUOTE]

If it was like mine, it ended up with black tape around it. My first glove was a J. C. Higgins Johnny Schmitts (sp?)  model.  Followed that one with a Jim Busby.  Hey! What a coincidence. I was just looking at my stuff, and I've got a newspaper clipping  picture. from the June15  1958 Boston Globe sports section. Reason I saved it, was my dad was in the pic watching the action near the third base rail.  The caption:  "WATCH YOUR STEP PAL- Chico Carrasquel, Kansas City third baseman( right), catches Don Buddin's foul fly near box seats and almost collides with catcher Frank House in fourth inning."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

Joel,

I was still a 3 year old in Darjeeling, India at this time ... ha!   I couldn't say ANYTHING I remember about Buddin - or baseball - at the time.  I did know what a cricket bat was though ....

So kudos you know anything about Buddin and kudos to Salty!

Yaz, Buddin is sort of a legend among the older crowd here.  How's your cricket game these days?

As I read the other posts on this thread, I see you are correct. 

In spite of BBTN missing a play a week or so ago, it still gave you all a great time to remember things.  That in and of itself is great.  The beauty of remembering blessings and joys on enriches life.  We are able to see how rich we really are ...

My cricket bat, sadly, never made it out of Calcutta in the early spring of 1961.  But the US gave me two very good substitutes that I fully enjoyed - the baseball bat and the ice hockey stick!!!  The baseball bat opened up a very cerebral sport and the hockey stick opened up a sport that allowed me to be happily violent .... unloading on a board check used to be such a satisfying "move."  :o)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I was there. It went out to the left of the cf flag if it went to the right it would have been the second to leave the park there.

[/QUOTE]
    You were there, Jim?  Wow!  Outstanding!  It was a warm evening, and I was watching on my portable B&W television which I'd set up on our porch to cool off.  Interestingly, he hit that HR off Bo Belinsky, who had no hit the Orioles a few weeks earlier.   One of many great Sox memories.

[/QUOTE]
     Bo was also going out with Mamie Van Doren at the time as well
    When Van Doren's early 1960s, highly publicized, on-again off-again engagement to baseball player Bo Belinsky ended in 1964 she married baseball player Lee Meyers in 1966 and divorced in 1967.[9]
    Bo was also going out with Mamie Van Doren at the time as well