Don't Be a Coward, Go On the Record

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from echochamberbuster. Show echochamberbuster's posts

Don't Be a Coward, Go On the Record

How much do you want the Red Sox to offer Ellsbury?

A. I want the Red Sox to pay whatever it takes to keep him from another team

B. Up to about 100 million guaranteed

C. Up to about 150 million guaranteed

D. CBA QO Only

E. I'm glad he's finally gone and don't ever want him back (This answer assumed only a CBA QO but allows the surveyed responder to voice his desire that since Ellsbury will reject the QO it makes the responder gratified that Ellsbury will finally be gone)

F. I love the guy but would not offer more than 90 million guaranteed to bring him back

I'll start.

My choice is E

What's your choice. 

Please, no spamming or DNC narratives, go on the record for one of the choices or stay off this thread. Thank you.

Current Survey results.......

A. 2

B. 5

C. 0

D. 1

E. 1

F. 2

So far, 9-2, Red Sox fans appear to be on board with capping the Ellsbury offers at about 100 million guranteed or less. That might bring him back, as his agent is out of touch on his market value. I hope there's an Inepstein or Cherry out there who will offer 100 million plus to play for another team other than the Red Sox. He'd be a great fit for the Cubs or the Mets or any team in MLB except the Red Sox. Ellsbury's work record isn't impressive, and it will get worse, I just hope that other GM's can't wait to guarantee him over 100 million for his thirties.

(Note for Red Sox Management: I know you read this board and regularly read Softlaw's comments. I can't speak for Softlaw, but wanted to provide this survey to give you a guage of Red Sox fans, from this site, on how much they want you to spend to try and keep Ellsbury. So far, assuming his market value is a dubious 100 million plus guaranteed, it's quite clear that the Red Sox fans on this site do not want you to go Crawford on this player)

Thread Notes:

Those who vote for the overwhelming popular Choice B will regret it and deny they ever picked that choice. Guaranteeing 100 million to Ellsbury would be a quite foolish way to spend that money over the next half a decade.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: Don't Be a Coward, Go On the Record

F. I love the guy but would not offer more than 90 million guaranteed to bring him back

(Edit: I might go 5x18 or 6x15. Though my gut says even that might be too much, I know it wouldn't get the job done, as some team will probably give him Carl Crawford money. In essence, I expect us to collect the draft pick and move forward with JBJ in center.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Years are just as important as the dollar amount.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yeah, i dont care too much about the dollars.  But I dont want to go beyond five years (assuming an avg. annual salary in the 20+ mil range).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from echochamberbuster. Show echochamberbuster's posts

Ellsbury will be 30, so the years will be 5 to 6 years, obviously. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Choice F.... 5 years max, no more than $90 MM.

Red Sox 2013 World Series Champs.  Patriots 2014 Super Bowl Champs???!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Don't be a Coward, admit you are a Yankees fan.

I'll vote A.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

This horse was stillborn.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

D

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Given the choices I'll have to go with "C", but only because of the way the choices are presented.

I would LIKE to cap it at $100M, but if someone else offered him $100M and he could have been had for 5/$21 = $105MM I'd do that.  But there's no way I'd approach $150M regardless of the years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from echochamberbuster. Show echochamberbuster's posts

Thank you S5, that's why I used "about" on the choice you just made. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

110 is the max. Softy calling anyone a coward is funny.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

I guess I might offer him as much as $100/5, with either vesting or mutual options for years 6 & 7, brining the total value to $150/7. It allows him to earn his way to a contract bigger than CC, but also allows the Sox an out at a reasonable time.

That puts me in camp B.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I appreciate Ellsbury's contributions to the Red Sox but I'm ready for the Bradley Jr. era to begin.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

F.

but he's gone..................

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

$200M for 8 years seems fair.  Less than ARod, but way more than makes sense.  Jake ain't coming back, period.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I guess B would be the closest to how far Id go.

6/108M  or 18M per. Since Pence got 5/90, Ells will surely go over that so Ill go one more year. Its an overpay just like everyone in FA. Ultimately, I think he gets more and is somewhere other than Boston next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from echochamberbuster. Show echochamberbuster's posts

nut, O is alot cheaper than 100 million, over the next 5 or 6 years. Red Sox fans will not ever embrace and dote over Bradley, but that shouldn't matter in what is an important business decision. 

Bradley will hit for slightly more pop and slugging/ OPS, will catch more bloop "scored singles", and will have an OBP about the same as Ellsbury or higher. Bradley will average about 10 to 15 steals a year over the next 6 years, while Ellsbury will average about 30 to 35 steals over the next 6 years. Bradley will average about 140 games started and finished over the next 6 years, Ellsbury will average about 125 games started and finished over the next 6 years.

This assumes that the Red Sox or another team decides to make Bradley the starting CF'er over those 6 years, which would be a smart move on the value and fit front.   

Pretty easy call, Hfx;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from echochamberbuster. Show echochamberbuster's posts

Its an overpay just like everyone in FA.

Koji wasn't an overpay in FA.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from echochamberbuster. Show echochamberbuster's posts

Can't speak for softlaw, but Yankees paying 12 million for Jeter retirment tour isn't the move I would have made.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to echochamberbuster's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its an overpay just like everyone in FA.

Koji wasn't an overpay in FA.

[/QUOTE]

The top FA are always an overpay.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from echochamberbuster. Show echochamberbuster's posts

I agree. True young superstars seldom ever reach FA. Cano is the closest thing to a superstar, but I don't consider him in the class with Miggy, even if he plays 2nd base. But he's not young, in any sense of the world class athletic world. He's no more than two or three years removed from being old for a 150 games a season position player starter. Ellsbury isn't any superstar and has been AS one time in 6 years, so he's not even a star. And he's not young. Going more than 4 years and guaranteeing more than 60 million for Ellsbury will be a huge mistake. His game is dependent on speed, which will be declining in his FA contract. His OBP and OPS aren't impressive, and his stolen bases and defensive range will decline with the decline in his speed that is part of the physical miles and aging process. 

The only way to get true young superstars is to develop them or trade for them and extend them from the few teams who can't afford to keep them. The Cardinals and Rangers did the obvious when they laughed Pujols and Hamilton out of town. Ellsbury isn't in that class, so he should get a huge burst of laughter on his way out of Boston. 

25. This post has been removed.