DONT FORGET TITO'S COOKIE FOR PINCH-RUNNING SALTY FOR TEK!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Re: DONT FORGET TITO'S COOKIE FOR PINCH-RUNNING SALTY FOR TEK!

In Response to Re: DONT FORGET TITO'S COOKIE FOR PINCH-RUNNING SALTY FOR TEK!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to DONT FORGET TITO'S COOKIE FOR PINCH-RUNNING SALTY FOR TEK! : Cookie??? If using Salty as a pinch runner was in fact a good managerial move, why would he deserve a cookie? He's paid to make good moves! Personally, I don't think it was a great move. I'll admit that I don't know if Salty is faster than Tek or not. If he is faster, it's not by much. The genius manager knew Els was going to single and also knew the extra foot or two of speed he might get out of Salty would win the game. My bad, give him a cookie!!
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]The genius manager knew Els was going to single and also knew the extra foot or two of speed he might get out of Salty would win the game." yes, wiseass!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DONT FORGET TITO'S COOKIE FOR PINCH-RUNNING SALTY FOR TEK! : So that's what the game is, baiting? If so, please change your tag line, because you are not a true contrarian. Contrarians are helpful, reflective people who point out that the emperor has no clothes, etc. etc. They are good for society and call into question what others take for granted. Baiting is a childish game. And while you are at it, stay on point. I never "blamed" Tito for the win (whatever that means) and indeed acknowledged his having guided the Sox into first place after a terrible start (for which I do partially blame him, but that's another story I don't intend to introduce into this discussion). And sorry, Tek has hardly been as torrid at the plate as Salty, so the only thing that would warrant not pinch hitting Salty would be if Tek were knocking the cover off the ball that night, and as I pointed out he was not (2 K's I think).
    Posted by pschuller[/QUOTE]by baiting i mean all the guys who underappreciate and take franco for granted. contrarian can be for  negative or positive action. a lot take shots at tito or only notice the negatives, i'm contrarian in being around for boosting his positives esp when it stands out like last nite!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]http://middletownpress.com/articles/2011/07/30/sports/doc4e34cf59c00f7858844360.txt
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]
    not bad! didnt know rod is a yalie like theo and lots of the front office. he aint going anywhere. also didnt know chili davis was the hitting coach! he should be ready after next year. he'll be phased in as tek or salty get injured inevitably and he proves himself. tek will be done after next year. or if salty proves himself we may play rod in right, depending on what reddick sustainably does. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DONT FORGET TITO'S COOKIE FOR PINCH-RUNNING SALTY FOR TEK! : by baiting i mean all the guys who underappreciate and take franco for granted. contrarian can be for  negative or positive action. a lot take shots at tito or only notice the negatives, i'm contrarian in being around for boosting his positives esp when it stands out like last nite!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

yes, the world needs more of the likes of you. and please keep us informed whenever you see 'cona do anything smart or genius-like in case most of us miss it. it is refreshing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DONT FORGET TITO'S COOKIE FOR PINCH-RUNNING SALTY FOR TEK! : Valid question why Salty didn't pinch-hit.  I would offer the following reasons: 1) Defensively the preference would be to leave Tek in the game at catcher if the Sox don't score.  Once he gets on base, the chances of the Sox scoring a run increase to the point that the switch is warranted. 2) Like many hitters Salty's numbers as a pinch-hitter are far below his overall numbers.  Career he is 2 for 18 pinch-hitting.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]tek is a better leftie hitter! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: DONT FORGET TITO'S COOKIE FOR PINCH-RUNNING SALTY FOR TEK! : Valid question why Salty didn't pinch-hit.  I would offer the following reasons: 1) Defensively the preference would be to leave Tek in the game at catcher if the Sox don't score.  Once he gets on base, the chances of the Sox scoring a run increase to the point that the switch is warranted. 2) Like many hitters Salty's numbers as a pinch-hitter are far below his overall numbers.  Career he is 2 for 18 pinch-hitting.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

OK, I will buy both those arguments, but I bet you 9 out of 10 MLB managers would go with the "hot hand", especially if the hot hand is batting 30 points higher over the course of the season, and I am skeptical that the odds of scoring a run in a tied game in the ninth go up significantly after a single, but I could be wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

just wondering why a faster pinch runner.......JD Drew? Sutton?.....wasnt used and then Salty substituted if the game went extras......

This comment says a lot about posters on this site since only one person made it and one commented on it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

It was a pretty obvious move to pinch run for Tek (one of the slowest guys on the team!) once he got on, but I'm with those who would have pinch hit for him in the 1st place. I think he was 0-3 with 2 SOs going to the plate. Of course we don't have any really good pinch hitters on the bench, nor do we have any Dave Roberts guys there either. Maybe both of these issues can be remedied with the early call-ups.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

salty was the only player left on the bench other than a pitcher. reddick came in for d-mac, scoot came in for youk, sutton was sent down and jd was hurt. (i seem to remember iglesies being called up but i couldn't find any information to back that up.)
    it was the right move to make because it was the only move to make. and it worked. i love francona and am happy to give him credit for the move. he has made many a good move throughout his career with the red sox and never gets the credit that tacticians like scioscia and maddon get. there is a way to quantify tito's greatness as a manager: more world series wins than any other manager while he has been manager of the red sox (2004-present) and the best win percentage of any team during that stretch.
    there is no reliable way to say that any other manager could do better with this team.