Dr. Yocum examines Lackey's elbow.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

Re: Dr. Yocum examines Lackey's elbow.

m

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Dr. Yocum examines Lackey's elbow.:
    [QUOTE]He should get the surgery, he is going to go through these episodes where his elbow swells up until he does.  He may very well be a decent pitcher after he returns, and he gets a year to settle his head while he heals.     
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

If we can find a productive replacement "almost any starter in baseball" the team will be better off without him and his attitude in the rotation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Lackey will have TJ surgery at a date to be announced soon.     This means the Sox will need another starter to replace him at least for another year.     Cherington said he'll be looking for a low cost pitcher.     Plainly said, somebody with their best years behind them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

The RS had zero chance of getting rid of lacky, short of eating his contract, now he's out until 2012, this should fix his arm, but I'm pretty sure nothing can fix his head..

So The RS are no worse off then they would be giving him away, either way he's not going to be around in 2012.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

[QUOTE]The RS had zero chance of getting rid of lacky, short of eating his contract, now he's out until 2012, this should fix his arm, but I'm pretty sure nothing can fix his head.. So The RS are no worse off then they would be giving him away, either way he's not going to be around in 2012.    
    Posted by sinjin5000[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your sincere fake concern.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]The RS had zero chance of getting rid of lacky, short of eating his contract, now he's out until 2012, this should fix his arm, but I'm pretty sure nothing can fix his head.. So The RS are no worse off then they would be giving him away, either way he's not going to be around in 2012.    
    Posted by sinjin5000[/QUOTE]

sin,

If they can keep fried chicken and beer out of his rehab we have a chance.  Just put the guy under the knife and let all our fans have a rest next season.  Hopefully he can give us something when he returns.  At least enough to trade him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Accordin to ESPN Ben Cherington annnounced Lackey will have the surgery.
    http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7148697/boston-red-sox-john-lackey-tommy-john-surgery
    It was pretty clear last year that there was something wrong, I'm surprised he was allowed to pitch and wasn't further examined.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Accordin to ESPN Ben Cherington annnounced Lackey will have the surgery. http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7148697/boston-red-sox-john-lackey-tommy-john-surgery It was pretty clear last year that there was something wrong, I'm surprised he was allowed to pitch and wasn't further examined.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

NU,
    He was examined by the team doctors and I am cure that they reached the conclusion that at worst after the season he'd need surgury...If not for the general distain that Sox fans have for the guy. He did pitch through the pain for an entire season and not once did he make excuses in the press...If this were say Luis tiant he'd have been hailed as a dirt dog...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I have nothing but respect for when players play through pain, however there's a point where if you're touting a 6.something ERA you aren't actually helping the team. If we had any sort of pitching depth left, he should've been on the DL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

The time off will do him good ... bet he comes back as a good pitcher, like he was with the Angels.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Some positive thoughts above, a rarity these days.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Some positive thoughts above, a rarity these days.
    Posted by Rutland76[/QUOTE]There've been lots of positive posts lately. They're just hard to see in the Law/OurMan white noise.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I have nothing but respect for when players play through pain, however there's a point where if you're touting a 6.something ERA you aren't actually helping the team. If we had any sort of pitching depth left, he should've been on the DL.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]Fair, But let's look at what happened.

The RS put him on the DL and he had a cortisone shot. While this was always seen by the knights of the keyboard as a mental holiday from Lackey's personal issues.

Once they got lackey back they were down two pitchers (Dice K and Buch). And Lackey pitched better initially than he did in May. In fact he went 10-5 in 16 starts for the RS from June - August.

And while Lackey's September was ugly, lost in the collapse was his final appearance of the year where he gave them a gusty start that kept them in a game they eventually won against the NYY and desperately needed.

They kept pitching him because he was all they had and he was willing to take the ball and try to compete the best he could.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dr. Yocum examines Lackey's elbow. : Given that it was a preexisting issue, the only thing that would have done the Sox any good would have been to have the clause enable the sox to be released from his contract for a fraction of the remainder on his deal. Who is going to care what Lackey is getting paid in 3 years after a terrible previous 5 years? He had elbow problems while in LA and that didnt seem to hurt his numbers while pitching against weaker AL West teams. He cant pitch in this market.
    Posted by gbman87603[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it did. Lackey showed regression in CA, beginning in the 2nd half of 2008.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

harness, while I always thought lackey's poor 2011 performance could be injury related, I feel I should apologize to for going overboard a few times. I still think he has attitude problems, but you were right about him. I was wrong. I hope he comes back strong in 2013.

It's nice to have hope about anything that has to do with John.

Now, it is clear we need a solid arm or two for the rotation. If Ben goes cheap, I hope he finds two to three Garcias or Colons rather than 2 Pennys or Smoltzs.

I still think our best chance to upgrade the starters is to trade for a guy like guthrie, and then sign 2-3 guys like Wang, Webb, Wake and Bedard.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]harness, while I always thought lackey's poor 2011 performance could be injury related, I feel I should apologize to for going overboard a few times. I still think he has attitude problems, but you were right about him. I was wrong. I hope he comes back strong in 2013. It's nice to have hope about anything that has to do with John. Now, it is clear we need a solid arm or two for the rotation. If Ben goes cheap, I hope he finds two to three Garcias or Colons rather than 2 Pennys or Smoltzs. I still think our best chance to upgrade the starters is to trade for a guy like guthrie, and then sign 2-3 guys like Wang, Webb, Wake and Bedard.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]I'd like to see us take a chance on Wang. He's a ground ball pitcher, so he could succeed at Fenway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dr. Yocum examines Lackey's elbow. :
     finding .98 cents. Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

The problem is, ".98 cents" is less than a penny.

Unlike, say "98 cents" or ".98".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Go ahead and perform cunninglingus if you want.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Heard it on ESPN radio this morning!  Tommy Johns!!!  YES!!!!

To miss all of next season!!!!

SWEET!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Wakefield should get Tommy John surgery, along with lapband surgery.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]harness, while I always thought lackey's poor 2011 performance could be injury related, I feel I should apologize to for going overboard a few times.

Hell, going overboard can be an adventure. We were a couple of sharks bumping heads, but that only made the waters unfit for others!
    Regression due to injury is near impossible to prove on a chat board.
    I did the best I could to show what I felt were pertinent indicators.

I still think he has attitude problems, but you were right about him. I was wrong. I hope he comes back strong in 2013.

Believe it or not, Lackey, from what I read, is actually the most popular player if you ask the players or especially clubhouse personal. He always goes out of the way for the "little guy". I think his on-field antics mask who he really is. To take the mound hurt means he's a real gamer. Being a gamer has it's ugly side - I know this first hand:(

It's nice to have hope about anything that has to do with John. Now, it is clear we need a solid arm or two for the rotation. If Ben goes cheap, I hope he finds two to three Garcias or Colons rather than 2 Pennys or Smoltzs. I still think our best chance to upgrade the starters is to trade for a guy like guthrie, and then sign 2-3 guys like Wang, Webb, Wake and Bedard.
    Posted by moonslav59

It's a different situation now, in that two spots in the rotation must be filled. That opens the door a bit more to Wake and Bedard. And
    they need a durable, middle of the rotation innings eater.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd like to see us take a chance on Wang. He's a ground ball pitcher, so he could succeed at Fenway.

It would also help to upgrade the left side defense for groundball pitchers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]The time off will do him good ... bet he comes back as a good pitcher, like he was with the Angels.  
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

Agree that this is good news that he is having surgery.  I expect that he will be much better when he returns.  The Red Sox just have to find someone else to replace him.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I do not think Ben want to sign a pitcher who have already have an injury history. With Beckett, Lester, and Bucholtz all have missed starts in past many years, I just do not think Boston want Wang unless Boston can just sign him as a 6th starters on the roster.  Really, Ben just need to find two decent healthy pitchers via trade or free agency.  

Stay away from Wakefield.  Dont sign him because Boston lost Lackey for the season.  Ben can find a way to get up to 6 starters without signing Wakefield. 

Or give Weiland or Aceves a shot, but they are more likely be the #5 pitcher or #6 starting pitcher!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I'd like to see us take a chance on Wang. He's a ground ball pitcher, so he could succeed at Fenway. It would also help to upgrade the left side defense for groundball pitchers.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

moon, I agree Wang may be the Aceves of last season and he itched well late in the year.  We haven't really had a good ground ball type pitcher since Lowe.