Drake Britton.. Nice knowing you

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Drake Britton.. Nice knowing you

AS DAD would say........  "SON, NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS AFTER DARK, AND DON'T BRING ANY OF THOSE GIRLS HOME HERE"  !!!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to selenium-'s comment:

ADG is good at this.

Good at what you joker. Read the Red Sox statement.

1. He was going 111 in a 45 zone.

2. He was drunk.

3. He tried to allude police and drive away.

4. He endangered lives.

No matter how good he is, I am guessing he's gone by opening day. He's not good enough to keep around with this baggage.

Elude. Allude=refer to.

He did something stupid. Which one of us has not done something stupid in our lives? I hope he learns from it and does not repeat the same mistake.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

reckless and dumb....but hey he is a certain shade and his weapon was only a 4500 lb truck x 111 mph....now if he were a little more "tanned" and carrying a gun, there would be no tolerance for this athlete...

good ole boy stuff!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

That kind of speed along w/ the a DUI charge will almost assuredly draw jail time w/out a doubt. My guess is he gets 180 days to serve w/ 150 suspended, something like that. All depends on if he's a 1st offender or not.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I suspect Drake Britton's name may soon be associated with the phrase "designated for assignment."

I hope Britton addresses whatever ails him.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A couple of days ago in New York , a husband , wife and child were killed by a drunk driver. The driver had been arrested for D.U.I. just a week earlier. He was freed without bail for that offense. Now, three people are dead.  Our lax and lenient justice system is just as much to blame as the drunk driver. The Red Sox should have nothing more to do with the reckless and irresponsible Drake Britton. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

A couple of days ago in New York , a husband , wife and child were killed by a drunk driver. The driver had been arrested for D.U.I. just a week earlier. He was freed without bail for that offense. Now, three people are dead.  Our lax and lenient justice system is just as much to blame as the drunk driver. The Red Sox should have nothing more to do with the reckless and irresponsible Drake Britton. 

111 mph? a miracle no one got killed...what an idiot - be gone with this lunatic

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

Only pike could defend this player.

There is no defense for what Britton did. The Carleton Fisk DUI thread of months ago was started by the same poster ADG. My response about ADG was about his agenda here.  DUI happens thousands of times per day in this country and in this report it involved a Red Sox player. Does it follow that this is a Red Sox only problem?  Didn't Billy Martin die in an accident where the driver was intoxicated? Didn't Mickey, Billy, and friends have an acute alcohol problem.? Didn't David Wells pitch his perfect game with a hangover? How many of us ( like ADG) would have rushed over to a Yankee forum ( if there was an Internet back then) and started threads about the three lushes?

This thread was started by someone with an agenda here. Many posters here have already questioned ADG's motives, agenda, and pretense that he is a Red Sox fan. I am not alone.

pike do you have a dog

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

This may create an opening on the Red Sox 40-man roster:

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=bos

Or not.

The Sox apparently used one of Drake Britton's two remaining options in sending the lefthander to Double A Portland.

Hahaha.....funniest post of the year.  Only you, Bob Newhart and I might get it, but it's no less funny if so.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I have three comments on this:

1) Hypocrisy - if it had been Tom Brady today, or Pedro circa 2000, or Bobby Orr circa 1969, would the "Dump the evil felon" brigade been so strident?  If so, do tell....and be very convincing.

2) Understanding - who among us didn't do stupid, dangerous, thoughtless things in their youth?  I admit I drove after/while drinking numerous times for years as a stupid 16.5 to 20-ish year old....luckily never hurt any other people.....stopped forever when I realised how selfish I was to risk other people's lives....never since, never would, and very strident about the issue to all and especially my elder daughter.  The little one has no chance!

3) Forgiveness - he's 23, has done (at least) one stupid, thoughtless, selfish, dangerous thing....does he not deserve a chance to change?  This smacks of PR to me....."please won't someone think about the children".  But referring back to my first point:  does anyone think Bogaerts, Bradley, Barnes, Middlebrooks, Lester, Pedroia or Lucchino would have been dropped over such a thing?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

If I remember correctly, Britton owns a house with Ranaudo in Louisianna. They bought it together. In my mind I imagined him and Ranaudo spending their new found bonus money on chicks and booze just like so many young people their age would do. With Ranaudo being such a big man on campus down there they had plenty of access. I immediately thought..."this is not a good development". Neither of them have been worth much at all since.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

IMO if someone drives drunk and kills someone, they should be charged with first degree murder. Its not as if the word on drunk driving isnt pretty well out there, its not as if you didnt know it was wrong when you got in the car. If they get caught driving drunk, their license should immediately be suspended for 2-3 years, on the first offense. No excuse for it, not in our culture of information, no excuse at all. But as I always say, the problem with drinking and driving is not with the driving, its with the drinking. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

IMO if someone drives drunk and kills someone, they should be charged with first degree murder. Its not as if the word on drunk driving isnt pretty well out there, its not as if you didnt know it was wrong when you got in the car. If they get caught driving drunk, their license should immediately be suspended for 2-3 years, on the first offense. No excuse for it, not in our culture of information, no excuse at all. But as I always say, the problem with drinking and driving is not with the driving, its with the drinking. 

There are degrees of right and wrong. " Kids " can make  mistakes, have a little too much to drink and get behind the wheel. It is not good , but it is understandable. This was a 23 year old man, a professional baseball player. Drunk and driving over 100 mph. Running from the police and putting everyone in danger. There is no excuse for this. This guy belongs in jail.  The Boston Red Sox should not continue to employ an individual of this sort.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Drake Britton, a 23-year-old in his first big-league camp, was arrested on misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, driving under the influence, and property damage, according to the Lee County Sheriff's office.

Red Sox: Spring Training 2013

As all eyes turn to Fort Myers to watch the Red Sox prepare for the season, we have you covered. Red Sox blog »

The arrest occurred at 4:42 a.m. Saturday, on Ben Hill Griffin Parkway in Estero, which is adjacent to Fort Myers. According to the arrest report, Britton, who was driving a 2008 black Chevrolet Silverado (a pickup truck), was paced at a maximum speed of 111 m.p.h. in a 45 m.p.h. zone. With a police car in pursuit, Britton's truck swerved in between other moving vehicles and jumped over a curb, continuing down a small decline and knocking down a barbed-wire fence, according to the police report. Britton then continued down a dirt road for a quarter of a mile and attempted to pull into a wooded area before coming to a stop. When the officer approached and asked for his license, Britton first handed him his debit card.

According to the arresting officer, Britton's breath smelled of alcohol and he had slurred speech and bloodshot, watery eyes. Britton refused a breath test, but the officer said he admitted he had been drinking. He was taken to Lee County Jail.

Cops: Sox' Britton charged; clocked at 111 mph 

Before passing judgement on this young man, what's the MPH velocity on his fastball and what kind of ERA has he shown in the minors.

Well, Dusty, even if he can reach three digits on the radar gun, it's still not as fast as the MPH on his Chevrolet Silverado.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

There are degrees of right and wrong. " Kids " can make  mistakes, have a little too much to drink and get behind the wheel. It is not good , but it is understandable. This was a 23 year old man, a professional baseball player. Drunk and driving over 100 mph. Running from the police and putting everyone in danger. There is no excuse for this. This guy belongs in jail.  The Boston Red Sox should not continue to employ an individual of this sort.  

Hey, what do you know! We agree!

It's a bad idea to get behind the wheel after having too much to drink.

It's inexcusable to try to outrun the police, once you realize you're not getting away with it.

If he just pulled over and blew a 0.01, I'd cut him some slack.

The run and crash shows he's missing some vital parts of his brain.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

Only pike could defend this player.

There is no defense for what Britton did. The Carleton Fisk DUI thread of months ago was started by the same poster ADG. My response about ADG was about his agenda here.  DUI happens thousands of times per day in this country and in this report it involved a Red Sox player. Does it follow that this is a Red Sox only problem?  Didn't Billy Martin die in an accident where the driver was intoxicated? Didn't Mickey, Billy, and friends have an acute alcohol problem.? Didn't David Wells pitch his perfect game with a hangover? How many of us ( like ADG) would have rushed over to a Yankee forum ( if there was an Internet back then) and started threads about the three lushes?

This thread was started by someone with an agenda here. Many posters here have already questioned ADG's motives, agenda, and pretense that he is a Red Sox fan. I am not alone.

Please. 111 in a 45 zone, drunk, and avoiding the law.  He could have killed someone. That behavior is beyond reckless.