Drew has multi-year options...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Drew has multi-year options...

... says Boras.

Pete A., would you mind asking Boras a "tough" question every now and then?

Like, who?

Even if just to get his equivocaton on record.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/12/boras_claims_drew_market_is_active.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Drew has multi-year options...

Two questions.  If Pete did ask Boras that question

1) Do you think he'd answer it?

and

2) If he did answer it, would you believe what he told you? 

For me the answers to those questions would be no, and no.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Why would he list the offers to the public? So they could all look at them and weigh in? I do feel like one of them is the Yankees because Cashman said something like we are waiting for players to say yes. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

GOOD  .... Put them all in a hat, pick one & go away !!!!!  Take BORA$$ with you !!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pure posturing.

If Drew does have multiple offers of multiple years, who knows, they may be $7M x 2 type offers, so he might still take $10M/1 to play for a winner like the Sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

GOOD  .... Put them all in a hat, pick one & go away !!!!!  Take BORA$$ with you !!

[/QUOTE]

Hey nut.....can you explain to us in YOUR OWN WORDS...not Softy's....why you dislike Drew and why would you be against signing him for 1 or 2 years at the most?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

With Drew going to cost any team a draft pick, I would think that he may not sign anywhere in near future.

He may find himself without a team heading into spring training unless he signs with the Red Sox on their terms.  He is a good player, but is not an elite player so teams will remain very cautious when thinking of sacrificing a top draft pick in a supposedly a deep draft in 2014.

I do not have a problem bringing Drew back, but not at the expense of giving Bogaerts a six week to two month shot at shortstop to see if he can handle the spot.  I do not like the idea of having Bogaerts shifting from short to third to short over and over.  

If he fails to look prepared to play shortstop on a first string basis after 40-50 games then he can go back to the shortstop to third base shuffle that he was on last year.

This probably means that Drew needs to have his glove ready as a multiple position player if he comes back to the Sox.  Such a move to prepare for the rest of his career is probably not a bad idea at this point in his career any how.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey nut.....can you explain to us in YOUR OWN WORDS...not Softy's....why you dislike Drew and why would you be against signing him for 1 or 2 years at the most?

[/QUOTE]Now, a great baseball mind like yours should already have this figured out.......  Anywho, grab your pencil and write this down ...........  DREW is not worth the BORA$$ bucks that they are looking for........  IMO, the Steven Drews of the earth are "a dime a doz,cuz"  !!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Now, a great baseball mind like yours should already have this figured out.......  Anywho, grab your pencil and write this down ...........  DREW is not worth the BORA$$ bucks that they are looking for........  IMO, the Steven Drews of the earth are "a dime a doz,cuz"  !!!!

[/QUOTE]

Soooo......can you please give us a link as to what aount of money Boras is asking for Drew to be signed at? 

Also.....top 12 offensive SS's that play gold glove defense IS NOT a dime a dozen there nut job.  I know you're not a fan of the Sox....but you can at least respect that he did AMZING things for them last year.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

It is a win win for the sox.  If Drew comes back then it is another year of great defensive plays.  If he leaves then the obvious happens, a draft pick and finally getting to see what Boggie can do on a day to day basis in the bigs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

Now, a great baseball mind like yours should already have this figured out.......  Anywho, grab your pencil and write this down ...........  DREW is not worth the BORA$$ bucks that they are looking for........  IMO, the Steven Drews of the earth are "a dime a doz,cuz"  !!!!

Soooo......can you please give us a link as to what aount of money Boras is asking for Drew to be signed at? 

Also.....top 12 offensive SS's that play gold glove defense IS NOT a dime a dozen there nut job.  I know you're not a fan of the Sox....but you can at least respect that he did AMZING things for them last year.

[/QUOTE]

Drew was a top five OPS short stop in all of baseball that has Tulo and the rest of the players cus he is so much better with the bat.  Xander's closest comp. is Tulo and could be one of the top players in the league behind the Tout class of player.  That would be my reason.  That and Xanders steamer and oliver projections show Xander as having more wins by WAR next year... enough to make up for the loss of Ellsbury if JBJ and Xander play up to projections. 

By the way, what handle is this person softy running under?  People don't seem to enjoy his posts too much apparently. 

Drew is a very good solid short stop, but Xander is a top shortstop on the level of Jeter, tulo, nomar and ARod.  Xander is often described as Hanley with a good attitude

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Now, a great baseball mind like yours should already have this figured out.......  Anywho, grab your pencil and write this down ...........  DREW is not worth the BORA$$ bucks that they are looking for........  IMO, the Steven Drews of the earth are "a dime a doz,cuz"  !!!!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Drew was a top five OPS short stop in all of baseball that has Tulo and the rest of the players cus he is so much better with the bat.  Xander's closest comp. is Tulo and could be one of the top players in the league behind the Tout class of player.  That would be my reason.  That and Xanders steamer and oliver projections show Xander as having more wins by WAR next year... enough to make up for the loss of Ellsbury if JBJ and Xander play up to projections. 

By the way, what handle is this person softy running under?  People don't seem to enjoy his posts too much apparently. 

Drew is a very good solid short stop, but Xander is a top shortstop on the level of Jeter, tulo, nomar and ARod.  Xander is often described as Hanley with a good attitude

[/QUOTE]

Agreed....  I think this would be a much better ALL AROUND team if Xander plays full time...but at 3rd.  I like Drew at SS and WMB either as a solid trade bait in a package for a FULLTIME center fielder (unlike our OF that consists mostly of platoon players).  If WMB is not to be traded then maybe use him as a 3B/1B/DH sub to help give rests and to be insurance in case of injury.  I'm not a fan of our up the middle defense right now.  With no Drew and No Ells our up the middle defense has been reduced.  As we ALL saw.....strong D up the middle is SUPER important.  If not for keeping Drew in and subbing Ross at catcher, we may have not won....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]You need to go down to the local drug store, grab the sporting news & a vanila fizz and figure it out......  I don't need stats, I can just look at a player and figure his/her value !!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]You need to go down to the local drug store, grab the sporting news & a vanila fizz and figure it out......  I don't need stats, I can just look at a player and figure his/her value !!!!

[/QUOTE]

Well.....considering that you're the same person that claims to have to write in all BOLD letters because you can't see it otherwise.....I'm pretty sure I would NEVER trust your eyes for ANYTHING baseball related......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to redsoxjay's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pure posturing.

If Drew does have multiple offers of multiple years, who knows, they may be $7M x 2 type offers, so he might still take $10M/1 to play for a winner like the Sox.

Since when has "playing for a winner" had anything to do with the contract seeking process? Oakland was "a winner". They were underdog small market team that made the playoffs. I don't tink that's a factor, at all, unless the offers are nearly identical. 

[/QUOTE]

You answered you own question: when the offers are nearly identical, or if one losing team offers $15M/2 or $21M/3, he may choose the Sox at $10M/1.  He might try to build up value and shoot it out next year (or take the QO like he should have this year).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[/QUOTE]

Agreed....  I think this would be a much better ALL AROUND team if Xander plays full time...but at 3rd.  I like Drew at SS and WMB either as a solid trade bait in a package for a FULLTIME center fielder (unlike our OF that consists mostly of platoon players).  If WMB is not to be traded then maybe use him as a 3B/1B/DH sub to help give rests and to be insurance in case of injury.  I'm not a fan of our up the middle defense right now.  With no Drew and No Ells our up the middle defense has been reduced.  As we ALL saw.....strong D up the middle is SUPER important.  If not for keeping Drew in and subbing Ross at catcher, we may have not won....

[/QUOTE]

I can't argue with that logic, but I also think we won the series last year because of pitching depth.  If we do sign Drew it would come at the cost of salary dumping Dempster.  Now that might not be a bad thing, but the other thing that it does is lose us a supplimental draft pick in a very strong and deep draft next year and that IS a bad thing.  So combine the loss of starting pitching depth (with clay as a big question mark) with the cost of the draft player. 

Xander brings the most value to a team at short stop because his bat is so much better than almost every other shortstop in the game right now before seasoning.  If he plays third, his value goes down because it is easier to find a very good bat at the corner infield spots.

So Xander is projected between 2.8-3.9 WAR at short.  That number would likely drop down a full win at third.  Middlebrooks is projected to be a 2.3-2.8 WAR player at third so hypothetically and sabermetrically, we might actually be a worse team in that scenario.  Most likely it is a wash and we don't sabermetrically improve the team in terms of WAR.  Drew is projected to have a 2.0 WAR at short stop.  That leaves us a win short to make up for the offensive loss of Ellsbury to start the season if we go with Drew at short and a less valuable Xander at third.

That said, the entire pitching staff had a much much much better year overall for all players last year.  How much of that was the catching vs. short stop... etc is hard to judge.  I would be concerned that giving up a very strong defensive short stop for a very strong offensive short stop could have an impact on our overall pitching and that is a very real risk.  There is a reason why Farrell is so high on Drew and with his pitching background, I suspect that this is the reason why.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I can't argue with that logic, but I also think we won the series last year because of pitching depth.  If we do sign Drew it would come at the cost of salary dumping Dempster.  Now that might not be a bad thing, but the other thing that it does is lose us a supplimental draft pick in a very strong and deep draft next year and that IS a bad thing.  So combine the loss of starting pitching depth (with clay as a big question mark) with the cost of the draft player. 

Very good point, but I guess if you value Morales, Workman, Britton, Webster, Wright, Ranaudo, Barnes, and maybe Owens midseason, then losing Dempster might not be a loss at all.

Xander brings the most value to a team at short stop because his bat is so much better than almost every other shortstop in the game right now before seasoning.  If he plays third, his value goes down because it is easier to find a very good bat at the corner infield spots.

While technically true, the SS positions has more and more become a position of offense as 3B has declined in offense, so Bogey's positional comparative value at SS is just marginally greater than his positional comparative value at 3B.

Here's a look at the positional OPS 25 year trends:

SS     3B   Differential

'78  638  712   +74

'83  658  729   +71

'88  654  701   +65

'93  690  739   +49

'98  701  761   +60

'03  710  729   +19

'08  713  761   +48

'09  711  756   +45

'10  679  733   +54

'11  684  705   +21

'12  685  738   +53

'13  675  715  +40

The differential went from about a 50-75 point 3B advantage from '78 to '98 to a 20 to 50 advantage.

So Xander is projected between 2.8-3.9 WAR at short.  That number would likely drop down a full win at third.  Middlebrooks is projected to be a 2.3-2.8 WAR player at third.  Drew is projected to have a 2.0 WAR at short stop.  That leaves us a win short to make up for the offensive loss of Ellsbury to start the season if we go with Drew at short and a less valuable Xander at third.

A lot of WAR depends on fielding, and how well Bogey would field at 3B is a guess. I'm thinking that within 2 years, playing just one position fully, he would have a better fielding rating at 3B than SS, at least when looking at it as compared to the league norm. I admit, this is just speculation, but I would think it is easier to field 3B than SS, so Bogey could learn quickly and maybe even become a plus on defense by year 2. Personally, I don't see him becoming a top 15 fielding SS withing 3-5 years, if ever. I hope I am wrong, but that is my gut feeling.

That said, the entire pitching staff had a much much much better year overall for all players last year.  How much of that was the catching vs. short stop... etc.  I would be concerned that giving up a very strong defensive short stop for a very strong offensive short stop could have an impact on our overall pitching and that is a very real risk.  There is a reason why Farrell is so high on Drew and with his pitching background, I suspect that this is the reason why.

I agree, and I think some of the pitching gains were related to Salty maturing behind the plate, but certainly some was due to having Drew and Iggy at SS instead of Aviles.

Nice post RSO!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So Xander is projected between 2.8-3.9 WAR at short.  That number would likely drop down a full win at third.  Middlebrooks is projected to be a 2.3-2.8 WAR player at third so hypothetically and sabermetrically, we might actually be a worse team in that scenario.  Most likely it is a wash and we don't sabermetrically improve the team in terms of WAR.  Drew is projected to have a 2.0 WAR at short stop.  That leaves us a win short to make up for the offensive loss of Ellsbury to start the season if we go with Drew at short and a less valuable Xander at third.

That said, the entire pitching staff had a much much much better year overall for all players last year.  How much of that was the catching vs. short stop... etc is hard to judge.  I would be concerned that giving up a very strong defensive short stop for a very strong offensive short stop could have an impact on our overall pitching and that is a very real risk.  There is a reason why Farrell is so high on Drew and with his pitching background, I suspect that this is the reason why.

[/QUOTE]

Good post RSO!  Great to have a good discussion around here without mud slinging! Hard to agree or disagree either way I guess......but all in all...I guess it's a great problem to have!

The one other thing I'd bring up is how having an above average shortstop and up the middle D also helps the entire pitching staff.  Gives them a bit more confidence.  May not be huge....but worth noting.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The one other thing I'd bring up is how having an above average shortstop and up the middle D also helps the entire pitching staff.  Gives them a bit more confidence.  May not be huge....but worth noting.

True, and I don't think it will be too hard to find a better fielding back-up SS than Holt.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I'm still wondering what teams are ready to give him multi-year contracts.   I'm guessing none.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think you'll find that Bradley will be a defensive upgrade over Ellsbury. He may not be as fast but he will get better breaks on balls and has a much better arm.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Don't bet against Boras & Don't bet against Drew!

I personally hate his bat, especially how hit for the Sox.   BUT!  The guy has a solid glove at SS, and will certainly get at least a 2 yr. contract with somebody.

My guess is that he gets a 2 yr. deal, at close to 9M/yr.  

Put it in the books!  It's going to happen.  Good for him.  He certainly played a solid SS for the Sox, & helped us win a WS.  All the best to him!!!  & this is coming from a not so big Drew family fan.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He still will end up regretting not taking $14M/1.

$18M/2 amounts to $4M for the second year.

Kind of reminds me of Varitek. Now, who was Jason's agent?

Wink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

The Sox are in a win/win situation.

The bonus to this whole event is the fact that Ben C. has one up on Boras.  I love it.