Drew's Heating Up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Drew's Heating Up

Everybody's favorite whipping boy Stephen Drew has found his groove it seems.

His batting average is up to .244.

He's batting .588 in August (yes, short sample, I know).

And for a longer sample ...

Since beginning the year 3-for-30, he's batting .261. It will be interesting to see where he ends up and where Iggy ends up.

Drew's problem is that twice this year, he's gotten rolling and his average went up but then he'd miss some games or the last time, go on the DL. Then it was back to the drawing board, a slump while he got his timing back.

If he can stay in the lineup through the rest of the year, maybe he'll stay hot this time and keep his average going up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Drew's Heating Up

Last 9 games:

406/487/719

3 HR 9 RBI

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Per FanGraphs, Drew's WAR is now 2.0 and his dollar value $10.1 million.  So he's actually been a bargain. Laughing  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I said he will go on another hot streak soon and it wont matter if its a LHP or RHP. he will hit everyone of them when hes hot. That one DL stint stopped him dead in his tracks when he was starting another hot streak. If we can have Drew on fire through August, the addition of Peavy, we could sepeate a little from TB and then Buch comes back to give this rotation another boost.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The 3 for 30 was his spring training. I don't think anyone can argue his value to the team now except for maybe Softy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Everybody's favorite whipping boy Stephen Drew has found his groove it seems.

His batting average is up to .244.

He's batting .588 in August (yes, short sample, I know).

And for a longer sample ...

Since beginning the year 3-for-30, he's batting .261. It will be interesting to see where he ends up and where Iggy ends up.

Drew's problem is that twice this year, he's gotten rolling and his average went up but then he'd miss some games or the last time, go on the DL. Then it was back to the drawing board, a slump while he got his timing back.

If he can stay in the lineup through the rest of the year, maybe he'll stay hot this time and keep his average going up.

Hi Roy, I think he is finally healthy. Lets hope he stays that way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'll argue.

Take into account his salary and he stinks.

Not taking into account his salary, he was lousy in April, below average in May, so-so in June, had one really good game in July, which inflates his stats.

Since when do players get millions to be good part of the season? ...sadly he isn't the only one like this in MLB.

You might think a player on a 1-year contract might be motivated to put up his best numbers so that he might get a longer term deal for next year. Instead he seems destined to be a bench player in the very near future, or a AAA player more likely. He'll never find a franchise dumb enough to pay him what he is getting right now. Not even the Yankees are that dumb.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In one of ADG's threads on 7/27, I posted:

Re: Batting Average Qualifiers for SS and 3B

posted at 7/27/2013 12:59 PM EDT

• Flapjack07
    • First: 8/26/2008
    • Last: 8/5/2013

To be fair, it's not as if Drew is exactly lighting it up in the OBP or slugging categories either...his OPS is under .700 now. I was a big proponent of him being given a chance when a lot of posters wanted him run out of town in April and May, but it's going on August now and, despite some hot streaks, he's been pretty mediocre on the whole. This is a one-year rental, not someone we're committed to long-term, and I'd be much more amenable to moving Drew to some form of part-time role at this juncture. If there are better options, it's getting to be time to explore them. (I don't mean Brock Holt...thinking more like Xander Bogaerts.)

That evening, Drew went 3-for-4 with two home runs, and in 9 games since that time he is hitting .406/.487/.719 with 9 RBIs.

I couldn't be happier eating crow in this case and hope he keeps serving it up. Laughing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Last 9 games:

406/487/719

3 HR 9 RBI

Iggy would have hit 10 GS in that time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

According to Fangraphs, Drew is the 9th rates shortstop in baseball. He won't have any trouble getting a job next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

For me I'm an after All-Star game  guy. With less ansd less games, getting hot now is big for me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Couple of stats that might make you feel better. This year he has a .325 BA with 2 outs and RISP.

With game tied he is hitting  .288. In the 9th inning he is hitting .370, and in extra innings he is hitting .375 He's also got a .286 BA in Fenway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I'll argue.

Not taking into account his salary, he was lousy in April, below average in May, so-so in June, had one really good game in July, which inflates his stats.

Since when do players get millions to be good part of the season? ...sadly he isn't the only one like this in MLB.

You might think a player on a 1-year contract might be motivated to put up his best numbers so that he might get a longer term deal for next year. Instead he seems destined to be a bench player in the very near future, or a AAA player more likely. He'll never find a franchise dumb enough to pay him what he is getting right now. Not even the Yankees are that dumb.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

You are an Iggy fan. Almost more than a Sox fan. Being pro-Peavy or Drew doesn't mean you are anti-Iggy. You should try to be a little more objective.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'll argue.

apparently your memory fails you Zill, or you just are one who doesnt like baseball players with the last name Drew.

After suffering a concussion by being beaned in the melon in ST, Drew only was allowed 5 rehab games after being on the 7Day concussion DL. My guess, as well as many, he came back a little too early.

It was no coincidence that when he got the amount of AB's a player would have by the end of ST, he started hitting. Lets look at his " lousy in April, below average in May" you suggest....

Ok, like I said, about 4/22 was the time where he accumulated the AB's he would have had by the end of ST if he didnt get a concussion. His numbers 4/22 through May 27th...

BA .273  OBP.371  SLG.475  OPS.845 

He finished the month of may 0-13, but began hitting again starting on Day 1 in June.

Putting things in the right context, which most dont like to do because it goes against their opinion, he was over 150pts above the average OPS for MLB SS at .845.

Did you expect him to come out "Guns a blazin'" with the lack of AB's he had?

for the month of June Drew had a .791OPS until he got hurt on 6/28 where he was 2-2 with a 2b and 3b and 2RBI when he was pulled from that game. He had a good amount of K's for the month and his OBP dipped down to .302 for the month of June, but he still maintained a decent BA of .267 and a good SLG of .489 for June.

What really hurt Drew was having to start the year earlier than he should have. Hes actually done very good overall but had to fight from a sub .100BA .220OBP and .130SLG in April. Drew can be streaky which makes his numbers look worse than hes actually played most of the year. Hes made it back up to a .756OPS again and I believe, like I said early in the season, that Drew will end up close, to an .800OPS when its all said and done.

Fangraphs values Drew at at2.0WAR and 10.1M this year. Hes been worth the 9.5M hes being paid by the Sox for 1yr.

So Im sorry to inform you Zill, your theory of a "had one really good game in July, which inflates his stats." isway off base and couldnt be further from the truth. Would you like to bet that Drew (just turned30) will land a 3-4 year deal?

My how things change when you put things in the proper context and do some research.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I'll argue.

apparently your memory fails you Zill, or you just are one who doesnt like baseball players with the last name Drew.

After suffering a concussion by being beaned in the melon in ST, Drew only was allowed 5 rehab games after being on the 7Day concussion DL. My guess, as well as many, he came back a little too early.

It was no coincidence that when he got the amount of AB's a player would have by the end of ST, he started hitting. Lets look at his " lousy in April, below average in May" you suggest....

Ok, like I said, about 4/22 was the time where he accumulated the AB's he would have had by the end of ST if he didnt get a concussion. His numbers 4/22 through May 27th...

He finished the month of may 0-13, but began hitting again starting on Day 1 in June.

Putting things in the right context, which most dont like to do because it goes against their opinion, he was over 150pts above the average OPS for MLB SS at .845.

for the month of June Drew had a .791OPS until he got hurt on 6/28 where he was 2-2 with a 2b and 3b and 2RBI when he was pulled from that game. He had a good amount of K's for the month and his OBP dipped down to .302 for the month of June, but he still maintained a decent BA of .267 and a good SLG of .489 for June.

What really hurt Drew was having to start the year earlier than he should have. Hes actually done very good overall but had to fight from a sub .100BA .220OBP and .130SLG in April. Drew can be streaky which makes his numbers look worse than hes actually played most of the year. Hes made it back up to a .756OPS again and I believe, like I said early in the season, that Drew will end up close, to an .800OPS when its all said and done.

Fangraphs values Drew at at2.0WAR and 10.1M this year. Hes been worth the 9.5M hes being paid by the Sox for 1yr.

So Im sorry to inform you Zill, your theory of a "had one really good game in July, which inflates his stats." isway off base and couldnt be further from the truth. Would you like to bet that Drew (just turned30) will land a 3-4 year deal?

My how things change when you put things in the proper context and do some research.

paw, please check your messages

As far as Drew, good to see, regardless of why. Can't help but wonder if it has something to do with Iglasias being traded, and not breathing down his SS neck.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

With regard to "one good game in July," even if you discount his performance on the 27th against Baltimore, he is still hitting .357/.957 in his last 8. He is hot right now, period.

If we look past the extremes in the beginning of April, his DL-shortened July, and so-far hot August, he hit .252 with a .779 OPS from 4/22 through the end of June...I'd be more than happy with a similar performance the rest of the way.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I have no complains for Stephen Drew. He's been solid in the field and at the plate. He's also been one of the Sox's best clutch hitters.

Here are some interesting numbers (I love baseball-reference.com): Drew is batting .307 (and has 31 of his 68 hits) with two outs. He's also hitting .325 with two outs and RISP. And he's hitting .371 in the ninth inning and beyond.

Personally, I don't care what his salary is. I only care if he produces, and he is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Love clutch hitters, and this guy is one.

It's silly and amusing when someone says a big game inflates a players stats.  The thing is, the bad games and the good games, the outlier games, happened, are real, and count toward a players overall numbers. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'll argue.

I AM NOT "ANTI ANYONE NAMED DREW."

I just call it as I see it, both Drews were overpaid. Both are severly over-rated.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll argue.

I just call it as I see it, both Drews were overpaid. Both are severly over-rated.

[/QUOTE]

I respect you for calling it how you see it Zill. Its just that the numbers tell a much different story, including paycheck.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Zilla, if you won't even look at (Stephen) Drew's numbers, such as his OPS being about 90 points higher than the average for SS's, or his 3 errors, how can anyone even hope to argue with you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll argue.

[/QUOTE]

Who is overrating Drew?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Whether you like the Iggy trade or not, Drew's signing and satisfactory performance gave the Red Sox the leverage to make the deal.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

It's hard to argue with the success of the team of which Drew is part of. Those that want to see the best or worst in him can manipulate the numbers based on cherry picking specific dates and overlooking the time he's spent on the DL and or highlighting his peak production. Bottom line is the guys a good ball player. Who plays within the framework of the team. 

Synergy when the results are greater than sum of it's parts. About sums up the 2013 Red Sox. Drew is a professional hitter and solid infielder that comes to the park every night to play ball who along with Gomes, Napoli & Victorino were added this offseason by Cherington, to help change the clubhouse culture from me to we. A change that is often overlooked by the stat-heads that don't understand the concept of team. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Totally fine with Drew. Really. Outside of his really, really bad start over April, he's been as advertised. 

Since May? 

.264 .342 .468 .810

That's pretty impressive from a SS who only committed two errors in that same span.

To be frank ... I wouldn't be against the Sox re-upping the guy for another year at $9 million.