Dunkin’ Donuts cancels ads on WEEI

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Dunkin’ Donuts cancels ads on WEEI

By Taryn Luna  /  Globe Correspondent /  February 13, 2014

Dunkin’ Donuts Thursday confirmed it has cancelled all its advertising on the sports radio station WEEI, and a station official admits the Canton chain was “upset” at a disparaging comment made by morning host Gerry Callahan, who was paid to endorse the company’s products.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Dunkin’ Donuts cancels ads on WEEI

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:

Dunkin’ Donuts Thursday confirmed it has cancelled all its advertising on the sports radio station WEEI, and a station official admits the Canton chain was “upset” at a disparaging comment made by morning host Gerry Callahan, who was paid to endorse the company’s products.

Way to go, Gerry.

That has to be a huge account.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

YES,  we need to be  P C even when we are pushing our sponsers products !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Oh Bill.  You don't even know when you are arguing against yourself.  You are, by your own constant, capital-lettered soundbiting, a lover of Red-White-and-Blue free-market capitalism.  WEEI exists because of (D&D) advertising.  Callahan et al are, in essence, representing the D&D (and other) corporation(s).  Callahan's words bit the hand that feeds him and flew in the face of his primary function as shill for the almighty corporation.  The corporation must not be betrayed.  Dunkin Donuts uber alles, right Bill?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

Way to go, Gerry.

[/QUOTE]

Dunkins had cancelled the Boston advertising contract prior to the comments by Callahan..so this cancellation of the advertising on WEEI sister stations is not big money by comparison.

But I am sure whatever Callahan said it was probably incredibly stupid. After all, most of what comes out of his mouth is.

I actually thought Dunkins and Callahan were a match made in heaven. An awful talk show host promoting awful coffee.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As usual, you're way off base.

It has nothing to do with being PC.

If Callahan doesn't like their products, that's his perogative.

But, he shouldn't be taking their money to endorse those products, if that's how he feels about them.

D&D obviously feels the same way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

anybody got a link as to what he said? I listen to D & C every morning on the way up to work and those guys sing the phrases of dunkin donuts coffee and breakfast sandwiches.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

anybody got a link as to what he said? I listen to D & C every morning on the way up to work and those guys sing the phrases of dunkin donuts coffee and breakfast sandwiches.

[/QUOTE]

I've read a couple of articles, but none state exactly what he said.

I guess he disparaged a donut. LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Barstool sports is reporting that Callahan made a comment about munchkins not being great for breakfast because they are not healthy for you.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/m/boston/super-page/dunkin-donuts-cancels-all-advertising-with-weei-because-gerry-callahan-said-munchkins-werent-nutritious-or-something

I guess this explains the "ugly baby" comment that most other media is reporting.

For what it's worth..I agree with Barstool's perspective that DD's was just looking for an excuse to drop the rest of the contracts..having already dropped the Boston one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Barstool sports is reporting that Callahan made a comment about munchkins not being great for breakfast because they are not healthy for you.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/m/boston/super-page/dunkin-donuts-cancels-all-advertising-with-weei-because-gerry-callahan-said-munchkins-werent-nutritious-or-something

I guess this explains the "ugly baby" comment that most other media is reporting.

For what it's worth..I agree with Barstool's perspective that DD's was just looking for an excuse to drop the rest of the contracts..having already dropped the Boston one.

[/QUOTE]

I used to be the biggest Callahan baser, especially when he made his metco comment. I have been slowly making my way back since the addition of Kirk.

Last week callahan and dennis were going off topic and I could see their old selves coming back, so I turned over to 98.5.  The other problem is callahan likes to say the opposite of whatever Kirk is saying, and usually ends up in troube for saying it.

I don't remember a dunkins commercial for a long time and I am either watching them on nesn or on 103.7.

Weei is loaded with sponsors and although one never wants to lose an account like dunks, they will be fine. When Ortiz was complaining about his contract, callahan teased the discussion of the topic for an hour and at least 15 minutes of the first part of the 7:00 a.m. hour were commercials.

Callahan has his issues but he mostly sticks to sport.  98.5 seems to be a morning of personal stories and movie reviews.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Way to go, Gerry.

[/QUOTE]

Dunkins had cancelled the Boston advertising contract prior to the comments by Callahan..so this cancellation of the advertising on WEEI sister stations is not big money by comparison.

But I am sure whatever Callahan said it was probably incredibly stupid. After all, most of what comes out of his mouth is.

I actually thought Dunkins and Callahan were a match made in heaven. An awful talk show host promoting awful coffee.

[/QUOTE]

I went to dunks yesterday for the first time in months.  I got a survey to fill out for a discount on another coffee.  I checked off their coffee is weak and told them in the comment section the same.

I never eat their donuts and seldom have their coffee.  I actually would rather have burger king coffee, which is not good but at least strong.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I used to be the biggest Callahan baser, especially when he made his metco comment. I have been slowly making my way back since the addition of Kirk.

Last week callahan and dennis were going off topic and I could see their old selves coming back, so I turned over to 98.5.  The other problem is callahan likes to say the opposite of whatever Kirk is saying, and usually ends up in troube for saying it.

I don't remember a dunkins commercial for a long time and I am either watching them on nesn or on 103.7.

Weei is loaded with sponsors and although one never wants to lose an account like dunks, they will be fine. When Ortiz was complaining about his contract, callahan teased the discussion of the topic for an hour and at least 15 minutes of the first part of the 7:00 a.m. hour were commercials.

Callahan has his issues but he mostly sticks to sport.  98.5 seems to be a morning of personal stories and movie reviews.

[/QUOTE]

Toucher and Rich are definitely not your typical sports guys and make no secret of it. I listen to them a couple of times a week during the morning drive primarily because they can be very funny and I really like the Adolfo segments.

There was a great article about them in Boston Magazine a couple of years ago which kind of details their evolution. I remember reading it in the waiting room of a Dr's office and have been listening ever since.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2012/05/toucher-and-rich-sports-radio/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Way to go, Gerry.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I went to dunks yesterday for the first time in months.  I got a survey to fill out for a discount on another coffee.  I checked off their coffee is weak and told them in the comment section the same.

I never eat their donuts and seldom have their coffee.  I actually would rather have burger king coffee, which is not good but at least strong.

[/QUOTE]

I hadn't been in months either and a coworker stopped there and got me a coffee the other day. Tasted like coffee flavored water. I couldn't drink it it was so awful. I used to love their breakfast wraps but then they changed the recipe to something gross.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Toucher and Rich are definitely not your typical sports guys and make no secret of it. I listen to them a couple of times a week during the morning drive primarily because they can be very funny and I really like the Adolfo segments.

There was a great article about them in Boston Magazine a couple of years ago which kind of details their evolution. I remember reading it in the waiting room of a Dr's office and have been listening ever since.

[/QUOTE]

yes, I remember the article and was tuned to their show every morning back then.  I have been a huge Kirk fan and he used to zing callahan on the weekends, especially when the hole Curt Schilling 75 million thing was going on.

Now it is worth tuning in to just to see callahan disagree with kirk, even if it makes himself look like a liberal.  Do we know anyone like that?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Way to go, Gerry.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hadn't been in months either and a coworker stopped there and got me a coffee the other day. Tasted like coffee flavored water. I couldn't drink it it was so awful. I used to love their breakfast wraps but then they changed the recipe to something gross.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know why they are watering down thier coffee.  Even the franchises I would visit are now serving the weak brew.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yes, I remember the article and was tuned to their show every morning back then.  I have been a huge Kirk fan and he used to zing callahan on the weekends, especially when the hole Curt Schilling 75 million thing was going on.

Now it is worth tuning in to just to see callahan disagree with kirk, even if it makes himself look like a liberal.  Do we know anyone like that?

[/QUOTE]

Haha..no not at ALL ;-)

I haven't listened to WEEI in ages..but it occured to me after that I was wrong with my comment about Callahan. I was sure that whatever he said was incredibly stupid. Now..it may turn out that he was speaking the truth and nothing less..lol

As far as the watered down coffee..it is inexcusable. In my town there are too many other places to go and the Dunkins downtown is never busy anymore. I think it will only be a matter of time before it closes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Haha..no not at ALL ;-)

I haven't listened to WEEI in ages..but it occured to me after that I was wrong with my comment about Callahan. I was sure that whatever he said was incredibly stupid. Now..it may turn out that he was speaking the truth and nothing less..lol

As far as the watered down coffee..it is inexcusable. In my town there are too many other places to go and the Dunkins downtown is never busy anymore. I think it will only be a matter of time before it closes.

[/QUOTE]

Dunks was mostly likely teed off because in all the years I have watched them on nesn, I don't remember seeing a dunkin coffee cup.  I am sure callahan knew they were pulling out and decided to give them a little sound bite to remember him by.

18. This post has been removed.