Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Ellsbury

Pete Abraham         @PeteAbe

Ellsbury emerged to say he was "confident" of playing this season. No timetable. #redsox

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Ellsbury

What is a compression fracture?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Non-displaced stress fracture

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Sean McAdam @Sean_McAdam

Ellsbury has non-displaced compression fracture in his right foot. Farrell says Sox expect him back before end of regular season

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

More on Ellsbury status: He'll be in boot for 5 days then see how he responds to treatment. No exact timetable at this point.

— Boston Red Sox (@RedSox)  September 8, 2013

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Looks like its the same thing...compression/stress fracture

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I am not a doctor , and I don't play one on the forum. But somehow, the words " compression fracture " and " back in the regular season " do not compute. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Looks like its the same thing...compression/stress fracture

Quite different.

A stress fracture is really a crack within the bone. It is a partial fracture, or microfracture, rather than a complete fracture. Stress fractures most often result from overuse or repetitive stress on the bone. They often result from any increased amount or intensity of activity that occurs too rapidly to give the bone a chance to adjust.

In contrast to stress fractures, a compression fracture is a complete bone break that disrupts the bone tissue and collapses the affected bone. The spinal vertebral body is the most common site of compression fractures. As the most common fractures associated with osteoporosis, vertebral compression fractures typically occur in the elderly osteoporotic spine; however, they can also occur as a result of severe trauma in the non-osteoporotic individual.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

I had a compression fraction in my elbow once. Probably still not the same thing, since mine was happened when I fell of my bike and the bone in my elbow compressed into the socket when I put my hand out to break my fall.

Still it hurt like hell, and if I remember correctly, took about 4 weeks to heal.

-Daf.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Probably should have rested him a little longer after he injured his foot last week, but the compression fx may have been inevitable with or without rest.  He's been running the bases hard a lot lately and he has been big part of the wins.  Think he comes back if at all possible.  I am an Ells fan bigtime and hope we at least enter contract discussions with him.  Only thing that bothers me is that all his injuries have involved bone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

The article says he'll be out one week, but it will be more than that. Id suggest two, with one week to shake off the rust. It may not be completely healed, but it can heal to the point that he can play through it with therapy and shots. This is better news than I feared we'd get anyway. At least there is solid hope.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Hope that he can be back at full strength . Pretty impressive stealing second and scoring on Shane's single with that injury. Basically , we have four objectives.  1  - Clinch the division.  2 - Clinch best record in the A.L.  3 - Set the roster and rotation for the post season. 4-  Win it all. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Good news. Like Ells or not there is no denying the guy is having a very good year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Good news. Like Ells or not there is no denying the guy is having a very good year.

Yeah. A lot of speculation on whether he leaves or stays. But the main thing now is that he is a major factor in how far we go this year. That should be the focus. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I had a compression fracture in my right foot just running up a basketball court. From what I hear, they vary in seriousness. Mine took about 2 months to be close to normal.

It's probably impossible to know how long it will take with Jacoby. Each person reacts to pain differently.

I hope he gets back in time to get his groove back in time for the playoffs.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Hope that he can be back at full strength . Pretty impressive stealing second and scoring on Shane's single with that injury. Basically , we have four objectives.  1  - Clinch the division.  2 - Clinch best record in the A.L.  3 - Set the roster and rotation for the post season. 4-  Win it all. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

We should really be able accomplish #1 with or without Ellsbury.  We should be able to accomplish #2 without him as well, though it would be a little closer.  Still, #1 is by far the most important goal.  As it stands now, as long as we win the division, I'm kind of agnostic between TB/TX, Detroit, and Oakland.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Current odds to win the WS:

LAD  5/2

DET  4/1

BOS  6/1

ATL  6/1

STL  8/1

PIT 10/1

TEX 11/1

OAK 12/1

CIN 14/1

TBR 14/1

CLE 25/1

BAL 30/1

NYY 30/1

Odds to win the AL:

DET 3/2

BOS 3/1

TEX 5/1

OAK 6/1

TBR 7/1

BAL & CLE 12/1

NYY 15/1

KCR 75/1

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

My prediction.  He does not heal fast and will certainly not be back before 6 to 8 weeks.....result....Ells done for the year.  Going to have to win it without him.  It will be a little harder but it can be done.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:

My prediction.  He does not heal fast and will certainly not be back before 6 to 8 weeks.....result....Ells done for the year.  Going to have to win it without him.  It will be a little harder but it can be done.  

I'll grant you its not outside the realm of possibility, but if it was that bad, why would the MLB.com article state a week or two? Its crunch time, and it will take wild horses to keep him out if there is any chance at all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

I love Jacoby and would really love him back next year. He's having a good year, but I expected better with a healthy season.

His OBP is pretty close to his career number, but 20 points below his 2011 number and the same as 2009 (.355). His SLG% is 14 points lower than his career number and about 130 lower than 2011.

I love his SB rate: 52 SB/ 4 CS is better than any season of his career.

His defense has been as good as ever.

He is having a very good season, but I expected better than the 9th best OPS on the team and the 10th best out of the top 20 CF'ers in PAs. Having the 6th best CF OBP is very nice, but I was hoping for better than .370.

Maybe, I'm to harsh.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ellsbury was in 3rd place for CF UZR/150 this year at +14.5 (Pollock +36.9 & C Gomes 25.2).

Since 2010:

1) Bourjos  +19.8

2) C Gomez +17.1

3) Ellsbury  +14.3

15) Victorino +2.7

20) C Crisp     -0.7

Since 2008:

1) C Gomez  +16.3

2) Guttierrez +13.5

3) M Bourn    +9.6

4) Cameron  +8.2

5) Ellsbury   +7.9

14) Victorino +1.6

17) C Crisp   0.0

2007-2009:

1) A Jones  +18.6

2) C Gomez +15.5

3) C Crisp    +14.1

9) Cameron  +3.5

15) C Ross    +0.2

18) Ellsbury  -0.1

20) Victorino -1.2

Sox4ever

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to Mchampion's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'll grant you its not outside the realm of possibility, but if it was that bad, why would the MLB.com article state a week or two? Its crunch time, and it will take wild horses to keep him out if there is any chance at all.

[/QUOTE]

Examiner...Maybe they are overly optomistic on recovery time.  The bottom line is its a fracture and thats 6 to 8 weeks and with Ells it going to be longer because we know his history of healing....believe me I hope he does get back quicker but I won't hold my breathe for his return.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Sounds like they're waiting for the swelling to go down, to re evaluate. I think given it's September, with so much at stake, he will play through the pain, as long as playing won't cause further injury and jeoperdize his future.