Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Ellsbury

Well, there was no reason to use Koji last night - that was ridiculous

I think Taz needs a week off too - maybe at least ban him from pitching in the Toronto and Colorado series........

As far as "finding" another middle reliever?  I think one of the top 4 starters can do that job in the playoffs in between starts.  Buck, Lester, Lackey, Peavy - a 4 man rotation in a 5 and 7 game series with days off - those guys could be called on to pitch an inning.  Farrell will have to manage it very closely and the the guys will have to be prepared to be flexible but that is one solution.

W/ Buck you got 7IP and then can go to Breslow and Koji

The others you got 6.....Koji in the 9th, Taz in the 7th....8th inning could be one of the starters (excluding Buck).......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

I think Taz needs a week off too - maybe at least ban him from pitching in the Toronto and Colorado series........

As far as "finding" another middle reliever?  I think one of the top 4 starters can do that job in the playoffs in between starts.  Buck, Lester, Lackey, Peavy - a 4 man rotation in a 5 and 7 game series with days off - those guys could be called on to pitch an inning.  Farrell will have to manage it very closely and the the guys will have to be prepared to be flexible but that is one solution.

The others you got 6.....Koji in the 9th, Taz in the 7th....8th inning could be one of the starters (excluding Buck).......

you should look at how deep our 4 playoff starters have pitched into games this season. a ton of 7 inning starts. This isn't the same rotation that often would only go 5+ each time out. by far.

i can't speak of peavy as most of his starts were for another team i don't watch but our rotation this season has done a great job of getting through the 6th and even further beyond that in most cases

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

you should look at how deep our 4 playoff starters have pitched into games this season. a ton of 7 inning starts. This isn't the same rotation that often would only go 5+ each time out. by far.

i can't speak of peavy as most of his starts were for another team i don't watch but our rotation this season has done a great job of getting through the 6th and even further beyond that in most cases

[/QUOTE]

Recently, latest to earliest, some of our starters have gone...

Peavy: 6.0, 6.0, 7.0, 9.0, 5.2, 6.0, 5.0, 7.0 

Lester: 8.0, 8.0, 7.0, 6.0, 7.1, 8.1, 6.1, 7.0

Lackey: 6.1, 5.2, 7.1, 7.1, 8.0, 6.2, 7.0, 6.1, 6.1, 7.0, 7.0, 8.0, 7-7-7.

Doubront: 3.2, 3.2, 6.2, 8.0, 4.0, 4.0, 7.0, 5.0, 6.2, 6.1, 7.0, 6.2

Dempster: 5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 5.1, 7.0, 6.0, 6.0

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

OK What's the latest here?  JBAY?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Compression fracture. Farrell expects him back, during the regular season

Ellsbury who?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Are you kidding me?  He's one of their best players and is a huge upgrade over JBJ....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Are you kidding me?  He's one of their best players and is a huge upgrade over JBJ....

Yes, when healthy or when not recovering from injury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

If he cant run well (steal bases) and we have better fielding players in the organization in 4 years.... what can he offer? Is he going to suddenly hit 30 homers again? He would be useless.

Burrito breath are you a complete moron. How about that he offers a .300 batting average, runs scored, timely hitting and extra base power.  I guess his fielding and speed are going away after 30? What a clown.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

I'd like to know what's up, too.  Ells being back is a key component to a WS run.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to CTJake14's comment:

I'd like to know what's up, too.  Ells being back is a key component to a WS run.

You re exactly right.  But they also need Drew, Napoli and Salty too!!!

If they win it all this year, why not to bring all back, and they could be a heavily favorite to win it all next year!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes but we want an injury report.  Will be back be back for the Colorado Series?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

how about you rest him until playoff games?  have him face live pitching from some of our AAA pitchers (or side sessions for the MLB staff) during the 4 days between end of season and divisional round. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

how about you rest him until playoff games?  have him face live pitching from some of our AAA pitchers (or side sessions for the MLB staff) during the 4 days between end of season and divisional round. 

Because he would be way to rusty.

I would like to see him spend the time in Colorado taking BP (and other drills) and then the friday night in Balt play, rest on Sat, and then play again on Sunday.  That should be just enough for him to get back in there for Oct 4th.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

Because he would be way to rusty.

I would like to see him spend the time in Colorado taking BP (and other drills) and then the friday night in Balt play, rest on Sat, and then play again on Sunday.  That should be just enough for him to get back in there for Oct 4th.

[/QUOTE]

If i were running the show i would have him back out there for the last series @ the latest. we have 1 games left. idealy i'd want him to play in at least 5 before the PS starts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hope he's ready for the playoffs. Having to use Pedey at leadoff really hurts the middle of the order, although it hasn't shown much recently.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

here's another thought.....it is pretty much a given that ells will be playing elsewhere with his next contract. 

cortisone shot and throw him back out there for the final series and the playoffs.  mask the pain, play the game. 

i have been wavering back and forth whether or not the Sox should be players in his next contract.  while i will admit that most of his injuries have been "odd" and not his fault at all...the fact remains....he is out of the lineup alot.  when he is in it, he is a dynamic presence.  but i fear that injury bug in a LTC for big $$$$$ bora$ will get him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

here's another thought.....it is pretty much a given that ells will be playing elsewhere with his next contract. 

cortisone shot and throw him back out there for the final series and the playoffs.  mask the pain, play the game. 

i have been wavering back and forth whether or not the Sox should be players in his next contract.  while i will admit that most of his injuries have been "odd" and not his fault at all...the fact remains....he is out of the lineup alot.  when he is in it, he is a dynamic presence.  but i fear that injury bug in a LTC for big $$$$$ bora$ will get him.

The market will determine if we can keep him.

My belief is that the Mariners will offer him a Michael Bourne contract and then Boras will be calling Ben real quick trying to push a BJ Upton deal on us.  All the other big market teams have other needs.  A dark horse team could be the Cardinals and anything is possible with Theo w/ the Cubs.  I think the Mets have to be careful with a 100MM deal - they can't risk another Jason Bay.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe a good idea, but I seriously doubt Jacoby and BorA$$ go along with the idea.

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

In response to CTJake14's comment:

[QUOTE]

You re exactly right.  But they also need Drew, Napoli and Salty too!!!

If they win it all this year, why not to bring all back, and they could be a heavily favorite to win it all next year!!

[/QUOTE]

But in the post-Reserve Clause world, it's not that easy i.e. even if the Sox decide they want them all back, will they all be willing to resign and will the Sox be able to afford to resign them all?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

it would be in their interest to play through it.  if jacoby doesn't play again this year he could kiss his 100MM dollar contract good-bye.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think Ellsbury is much better than his presumed replacement Bradley, but there has to be a limit on cost.  The Sox have four key free agents--Ellsbury, Napoli, Salty, and Drew--and I'm guessing they go hardest after Salty and Drew.  Ellsbury will likely be too expensive and Napoli has the hip issue. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We'd have to go over the luxury limit to keep all 4.

I'm not saying we can't, but if Ellsbury gets $18M/yr, Napoli $14M, Drew $11M, and Salty $10M, we'd be over by about $8-13M. I guess we could try and dump Dempster to stay under, but I think Ellsbury walks, so we can sigbn more FAs instead.

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm not saying we can't, but if Ellsbury gets $18M/yr, Napoli $14M, Drew $11M, and Salty $10M, we'd be over by about $8-13M. I guess we could try and dump Dempster to stay under, but I think Ellsbury walks, so we can sigbn more FAs instead.

Sox4ever

Why bother w/ Drew?  He's going to want multiple years and why pay him that kind of money to be a back up?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Sox4ever

I'm long on record for not wanting to spend the big money on 1B, DH, and the OF....got an elite DH like Papi?  Keep him!  Lock up an elite CF at 26-28?  Fine.  Sign an historically great bat for historically big money to play LF?  Sure.  

But you should spend the big money on C, 2B, 3B, SS, and especially SP, not positions where for relatively short money you can find .800 OPS decent fielding, decent behaving professsionals.

Salty for $10m/year?  Great!  I'd happily do that for 3-6 years....a bargain.  I'd happily go much higher/year....because there are virtually no decent catchers available, ever.....very rare.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Why bother w/ Drew?  He's going to want multiple years and why pay him that kind of money to be a back up?

[/QUOTE]

Isn't the "back up" question the entire issue?  I'd be happy with Drew as our SS for the next several years as a starter.....but he'd be the most overpaid back up SS in MLB....and he won't sign to be anything other than a starting SS anyway, IMO.  So the issue is where Ben sees him fitting in in 2014-2016.  I don't have that information.