Ellsbury Excelling at Leadoff Position

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Ellsbury Excelling at Leadoff Position

I think that is his problem - he has been about average (WHICH IS OKAY BY ME) but too many were expecting the second coming of Ricky Henderson or something like that.

I'd be thrilled to see him at least match Ellis Burks...  a healthy Burks that is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Ellsbury blows some reads but I've seen other guys who are supposed to be gold glove caliber do just as bad if not worse. To me, except for the broken rib issue last year, Ellsbury has stayed on the field quite well for a CF. So many of them get hurt and considering how active he is on the bases I think he does well to not get hurt regularly. In looking at his career, he comes up to a big splash that first season and expectations were so high. He hit over .400 in AA ball. Things were looking great...and then he signed with Boras.

I think he is being positioned for that big contract. He is less likely to dive for balls so he can stay on the field. He is looking to show some power. Now is his opportunity to position himself for maybe a $100 mil type contract like Crawford. Overall, that is not inherently bad but it does indicate to me a somewhat conservative approach physically in his defense going forward. I haven't seen him dive for a ball yet this year, but I have missed some games.

I think he puts up big numbers this year and next. I really think he may be one of our top 2-3 players this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Cameron's recent full sprint basket catch was an example of what a gifted outfielder can do. Cameron has a lost a few steps, but he still finds the spot and moves to it with a stride that allows him to keep his upper body quiet so he can make that kind of catch on a regular basis. Drew is also an example of those skills and talents.

I find the audio from the Red Sox coaches as further evidence of what I've known for years. Few people understand why Larry Byrd was a great basketball player and why Dominique Wilkens wasn't. And few poeple understand that sprinter speed does not make a great defensive outfielder.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Our lead-off CF'er currently has the longest hitting streak in the league.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Harness, BaseballGM is posting over 25 posts a day. Sound like anyone you remember? 

And half of them are dumping on Ellsbury, Lowrie, Wakefield...etc. 

I have ZERO doubt that BaseballGM is Softy. Zero. And I know most of you all see the obvious as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m