Ellsbury foot injury more than day to day 2nd opinion coming

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Ellsbury foot injury more than day to day 2nd opinion coming

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ells is out indefinately with injury to the navicular bone in his right foot.

Sean McAdam @Sean_McAdam 

Cherington on Ellsbury: "My understanding is there’s not a long-term concern here. It’s how do we manage it over the next several weeks."

Tim Britton @TimBritton

Like Farrell, Cherington emphasized how much Ellsbury wants to play through this.

He can play through it for a month or so. Hes already been playing through it for over a week. Cortizone shots work wonders.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

.....not to mention the Sox are in great shape now in the standings and its a month til the postseason....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

....and another thing....dont forget Pedroia played through a broken wrist in the 2007 postseason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Winning the world series just got a lot more difficult.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His contract will not reflect Ellsbury being "injury prone". It will reflect the kind of player he is. a 300BA 350-60OBP 4-450SLG CF'er who can steal 50 bases a year and play solid defense.

One GM will probably look beyond the injuries and pay Ellsbury strictly by his "healhty numbers" or roll the dice knowing there is perhaps a bigger danger of missed time due to injury than the norm, but I do think his injury history will affect some GM's offer amounts or even the fact that they make an offer or not.

Even if you throw out the numbers from 2010 and 2012, which I'm not sure we should, Jacoby's numbers look something like this:

2009 + 2011+ 2013/3 (Estimate)

.310/.365/.465/.830  16 HRs,  42 2B+3B, 53 SB/11 CS

Those are very nice numbers, but 2011 look like an outlier on the power/Slg% and .355 to .360 seems more like his OBP settling point. So, I see more like a .360/.430 kind of player, which makes him a sub .800 OPS guy... not the typical "break the bank" type of player.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

His contract will not reflect Ellsbury being "injury prone". It will reflect the kind of player he is. a 300BA 350-60OBP 4-450SLG CF'er who can steal 50 bases a year and play solid defense.

One GM will probably look beyond the injuries and pay Ellsbury strictly by his "healhty numbers" or roll the dice knowing there is perhaps a bigger danger of missed time due to injury than the norm, but I do think his injury history will affect some GM's offer amounts or even the fact that they make an offer or not.

Even if you throw out the numbers from 2010 and 2012, which I'm not sure we should, Jacoby's numbers look something like this:

2009 + 2011+ 2013/3 (Estimate)

.310/.365/.465/.830  16 HRs,  42 2B+3B, 53 SB/11 CS

Those are very nice numbers, but 2011 look like an outlier on the power/Slg% and .355 to .360 seems more like his OBP settling point. So, I see more like a .360/.430 kind of player, which makes him a sub .800 OPS guy... not the typical "break the bank" type of player.

Sox4ever

I agree that there may be one foolish GM who looks past all the time missed and offers the moon to Ellsbury. I hope its not Cherington.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

He'll be out the remainder of the year that's why he is D. Ellsbury (didn't resond to treatmtment isn't good). Strangely enough he's one of my favorite players but much like Buch he's often injured. Is it fair? Not sure. Sometimes it's a "couldv'e happened to anybody" injury but man he's always hurt.

I understand Reyes is not a fair comparison, but some players just break down. Ells is one of them. Horrible timing.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Needs a 2nd opinion from Dr. SOFTY   !!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Most, if not all previous responses are on top of this...  The single bottom line is this guy never seems to play a full year and therefore, to hand him a big money contract really means the organization is paying even more than the contract states. 

Second opinion in Horseshoe, Colorado - I always thought Boston and Massachusetts was renowned for having some of the best doctors and hospitals in the WORLD!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Ells is gone next year anyway so Bradley may as well take his position now

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to bingobilly's comment:

Most, if not all previous responses are on top of this...  The single bottom line is this guy never seems to play a full year and therefore, to hand him a big money contract really means the organization is paying even more than the contract states. 

Second opinion in Horseshoe, Colorado - I always thought Boston and Massachusetts was renowned for having some of the best doctors and hospitals in the WORLD!!

Hello, Softy. Way to keep a low profile.Sort of like Elvis or Kenny Lay working at a 7/11.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Hopefully it's not a broken bone but if it is next man up.

Thought MRI was negative.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Gordon Edes @GordonEdes

Alarming news re Ellsbury : Farrell said foot injury is more than day to day thing Going to Denver for 2d opinion

Here we go again with Ellsbreaky. The bottom line, regardless of HOW he gets injured, is that he DOES spend a lot of time missing games from year to year. That will need to be addressed when a contract offer is made IMO. I cannot think of another Red Sox position player who has been on the team as long as Ellsbury has who has missed as many games. We are going to need him in the playoffs, and it now seems he may not be there for the team. Again.

[/QUOTE]

Very cleverly worded, almost as if you were trying to manipulate the criteria to make a point.  Somewhat like "cherry picking". Cleverly worded because it eliminates all pitchers (Lackey, Dice-k, etc) because they're not position players and it also eliminates a player like Ryan Kalish (who's played in only 83 of a possible 750+ games) because he only joined the team in 2010, two years after Ellsbury.

The fact is that Ellsbury has played in 90+% of all possible games other than the years when the two freak injuries occurred when he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I suggest that he's no more "injury prone" than any other player who picks up occasional bumps, bruises and strains. The true issue is that you're obsessed with his recover time from those two injuries.

I'd be interested in what you actually think he's going to get. Not what you think he should get, but how much he WILL get. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

We lose Ellsbury we lose our chance for another WS, I'm serious about this. I'm hoping for the best for him. I think he's a darn good ballplayer.

Jim from Florida good stuff.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

We lose Ellsbury we lose our chance for another WS, I'm serious about this. I'm hoping for the best for him. I think he's a darn good ballplayer.

No doubt it hurts their chances.  They can still cover for him defensively with JBJ, which might even be a plus defensively considering he has a much stronger arm, and the rest of the offense collectively might be able to pick up the slack.  But saying they lose their chance for a WS is proclaiming a death sentence.  This team and this fan isn't buying it.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Hope your right and I'm definetly wrong. Its just I look at Pitching Match-ups.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

That might be a bit extreme, but it would hurt. But lets wait to see what the final prognosis is. Remember a couple years ago when we had PD out for the year and it turned out to be minor? If the break was that obvious, Id say it would have shown up by now and they would not need a second test. He played at a very high level even after hurting it, the team is in great shape in the standings and its over three weeks til the post season starts. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Thanks

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:

PG please stop with the PT player garbage. Not one GM looks at it that way. My God, do you always have to have a whipping boy on the Sox? Now that Lester has turned things around you are all over Ellsbury. Give me a break.

He fouled a ball off his foot. pedey did the same thing.

SP, please wake up and understand the facts. I am not whipping on Ellsbury. Like I said, he is very good when he plays. He just tends to get injured-A LOT. Maybe he needs to pay more attention to protecting himself. Frankly, at this point, I don't much care WHY he is getting injured and missing games nearly so much as the fact that he IS missing games. Earlier this year a stat came out that he missed 44% of the games he could have played over the past three years (or four) due to injury. Thats a lot. At contract time that gets addressed.

I dont think its as much he gets injured a lot as it is the extend and severity of the injuries. he broke his ribs two seperate times before he was shut down. if you remember he tried to come back after colliding with Beltre before Hunter broke a coupole more ribs. I am still dealing with a shoulder sublexion from February, so I understand when a 6'4 230LB player lands on Ells' shoulder and it partailly "pops out" of socket. its not a quick recovery.

Someone I would complain about would always have nagging injuries. Ellsbury has never had these. Now he fouls a ball off his foot and it may be broken/fractured. Like pedey had.

At contract time Gm's wont be looking at him the way you do. Guarentee it. Unlike you, They actually look at and care WHY and how he got injured. Once again PG, context. Hes not injury prone. He doesnt tweak a hammy or knee or back, etc...Hes had a couple oddball things happen to him which resulted in 2 major injuries and time missed. Now this.

With that said, It will be nice to see how JBJ handles the bright lights of a playoff run. He should get plenty of playing time this month. I hope hes adjusted to the high inside FB and inside CB, because he should see plenty of them.

With all due respect, neither of us knows how much weight GMs will place on his games missed due to injury. Your opinion is that it won't matter a bit; my opinion is that they WILL consider it and any contract offer will take it into consideration. I certainly would. Its just cold hard business.

With no due respect (which is what you show the players on the team you supposedly root for), any blowhard can have an opinion.  Southpaw's opinion with regard to baseball matters is valued much more highly than yours.

I also respect Southpaw. You, on the other hand, deserve none whatsoever. Frankly, I could not care less what you think-about anything. Your level of baseball knowledge compared to many here is like comparing an amoeba to a fan. You should restrict your comments to board that cater to toddlers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Hope your right and I'm definetly wrong.

I hope I'm right too.  I may just be projecting a mindset.  A competitive athlete and team need to think like warriors.  There are always problems to overcome.  You should never dwell on them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to S5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Gordon Edes @GordonEdes

Alarming news re Ellsbury : Farrell said foot injury is more than day to day thing Going to Denver for 2d opinion

Here we go again with Ellsbreaky. The bottom line, regardless of HOW he gets injured, is that he DOES spend a lot of time missing games from year to year. That will need to be addressed when a contract offer is made IMO. I cannot think of another Red Sox position player who has been on the team as long as Ellsbury has who has missed as many games.We are going to need him in the playoffs, and it now seems he may not be there for the team. Again.

[/QUOTE]

Very cleverly worded, almost as if you were trying to manipulate the criteria to make a point.  Somewhat like "cherry picking". Cleverly worded because it eliminates all pitchers (Lackey, Dice-k, etc) because they're not position players and it also eliminates a player like Ryan Kalish (who's played in only 83 of a possible 750+ games) because he only joined the team in 2010, two years after Ellsbury.

The fact is that Ellsbury has played in 90+% of all possible games other than the years when the two freak injuries occurred when he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I suggest that he's no more "injury prone" than any other player who picks up occasional bumps, bruises and strains. The true issue is that you're obsessed with his recover time from those two injuries.

I'd be interested in what you actually think he's going to get. Not what you think he should get, but how much he WILL get. 

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps those freak injuries would not have happened to someone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-N__oo77uo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to S5's comment:

Gordon Edes @GordonEdes

Here we go again with Ellsbreaky. The bottom line, regardless of HOW he gets injured, is that he DOES spend a lot of time missing games from year to year. That will need to be addressed when a contract offer is made IMO. I cannot think of another Red Sox position player who has been on the team as long as Ellsbury has who has missed as many games.We are going to need him in the playoffs, and it now seems he may not be there for the team. Again.

Perhaps those freakinjuries would not have happened to someone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-N__oo77uo

Exactly. Someone who has a better bone structure, someone who looks before he leaps..who knows where the fault lies with him. I am more concerned about the bottom line, and it is this: Jacoby Ellsbury tends to get injured and miss a lot of games, and thats a fact that is not debateable. For that reason his contract offer should take that into consideration. I would offer him no more than four years at $14M per year, perhaps with incentives so he can earn more based on time missed due to injury of any kind. Some dumb GM is likely going to take a leap of faith and give him a lot more. I just hope its not Cherington...I don't think it will be. He seems smarter than that. Buchholz is in the same category: too much time missed due to injury. His contract offer, when it comes due, will also need to address that issue.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:

[QUOTE]

PG please stop with the PT player garbage. Not one GM looks at it that way. My God, do you always have to have a whipping boy on the Sox? Now that Lester has turned things around you are all over Ellsbury. Give me a break.

He fouled a ball off his foot. pedey did the same thing.

SP, please wake up and understand the facts. I am not whipping on Ellsbury. Like I said, he is very good when he plays. He just tends to get injured-A LOT. Maybe he needs to pay more attention to protecting himself. Frankly, at this point, I don't much care WHY he is getting injured and missing games nearly so much as the fact that he IS missing games. Earlier this year a stat came out that he missed 44% of the games he could have played over the past three years (or four) due to injury. Thats a lot. At contract time that gets addressed.

I dont think its as much he gets injured a lot as it is the extend and severity of the injuries. he broke his ribs two seperate times before he was shut down. if you remember he tried to come back after colliding with Beltre before Hunter broke a coupole more ribs. I am still dealing with a shoulder sublexion from February, so I understand when a 6'4 230LB player lands on Ells' shoulder and it partailly "pops out" of socket. its not a quick recovery.

Someone I would complain about would always have nagging injuries. Ellsbury has never had these. Now he fouls a ball off his foot and it may be broken/fractured. Like pedey had.

At contract time Gm's wont be looking at him the way you do. Guarentee it. Unlike you, They actually look at and care WHY and how he got injured. Once again PG, context. Hes not injury prone. He doesnt tweak a hammy or knee or back, etc...Hes had a couple oddball things happen to him which resulted in 2 major injuries and time missed. Now this.

With that said, It will be nice to see how JBJ handles the bright lights of a playoff run. He should get plenty of playing time this month. I hope hes adjusted to the high inside FB and inside CB, because he should see plenty of them.

With all due respect, neither of us knows how much weight GMs will place on his games missed due to injury. Your opinion is that it won't matter a bit; my opinion is that they WILL consider it and any contract offer will take it into consideration. I certainly would. Its just cold hard business.

With no due respect (which is what you show the players on the team you supposedly root for), any blowhard can have an opinion.  Southpaw's opinion with regard to baseball matters is valued much more highly than yours.

I also respect Southpaw. You, on the other hand, deserve none whatsoever. Frankly, I could not care less what you think-about anything. Your level of baseball knowledge compared to many here is like comparing an amoeba to a fan. You should restrict your comments to board that cater to toddlers.

[/QUOTE]

So says the cleaver creator of the coinage "Breakholz" and "Ellsbreaky", who prognosticated doom and gloom for more than half a season, and now, somewhat tentatively, is trying to catch a ride aboard the Red Sox bandwagon.