Ellsbury sits, JBJ starts in CF for 1st game in NY

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Re: Ellsbury sits, JBJ starts in CF for 1st game in NY

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Bradley will get on base at a high level. Terrific leader and going to have an above average MLB career. I don't need to make excuses for him.

Now, get over Ellsbury leaving town.

He will have an above average ml career.

Just like Ellsbury.

So why do you hate one and have a crush on the other?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Bradley will get on base at a high level. Terrific leader and going to have an above average MLB career. I don't need to make excuses for him.

I can't think of one person who is not over Ellsbury leaving town.  You are seriously the only person who doesn't seem to be able to get over Ellsbury.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I can't think of one person who is not over Ellsbury leaving town.  You are seriously the only person who doesn't seem to be able to get over Ellsbury.

I don't think anyone cares if he leaves either. I don't get the  obsession.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

The reason Ellsbury is still here is because most Red Sox fans aren't over it.

I value leadership, which is why I value Bradley more than Ellsbury.

Aren't over what?

I am starting to sense a trend here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

To the latter point:  sounds good.  If leadership is the primary determinant, no question Bradley wins.  Ellsbury is certainly lacking in that department.

To the former:  this makes no sense.  He is still here because he is under affordable contract, had a career year two years ago that put management in the position of maybe wanting to keep him around despite his injuries, and even if they wanted to move him last year or in the off-season, their potential return, after an serious injury, would have been bad.  And, yes, many fans would have been peeved if they shipped Ellsbury for a couple b-grade prospects.  That has nothing to do with fans not being "over it".  Everyone understands that he will be gone after this year and no one is even offering a peep in protest.  I defy you to point out anyone here, in the media, anywhere, that doesn't understand that Jacoby is going to command more than he is worth and won't be worth retaining.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

To the latter point:  sounds good.  If leadership is the primary determinant, no question Bradley wins.  Ellsbury is certainly lacking in that department.

To the former:  this makes no sense.  He is still here because he is under affordable contract, had a career year two years ago that put management in the position of maybe wanting to keep him around despite his injuries, and even if they wanted to move him last year or in the off-season, their potential return, after an serious injury, would have been bad.  And, yes, many fans would have been peeved if they shipped Ellsbury for a couple b-grade prospects.  That has nothing to do with fans not being "over it".  Everyone understands that he will be gone after this year and no one is even offering a peep in protest.  I defy you to point out anyone here, in the media, anywhere, that doesn't understand that Jacoby is going to command more than he is worth and won't be worth retaining.

Im not concerned about his departure. Im also not concerened about Drews at the end of the year, or salty's. I also dont see the point of shipping proven MLB guys out just so we can see what the kids can do when were in 1st place without them. The sox will have 6 years of time to invest in Iggy and JBJ starting in 2014, they will have plenty of MLB time. The future looks bright for sure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Im not concerned about his departure. Im also not concerened about Drews at the end of the year, or salty's. I also dont see the point of shipping proven MLB guys out just so we can see what the kids can do when were in 1st place without them. The sox will have 6 years of time to invest in Iggy and JBJ starting in 2014, they will have plenty of MLB time. The future looks bright for sure.

Agreed.  Very impressed with Iggy in the here and now though.  Kid came back up with bat blazing and jumped into the hot corner like it was cool water.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

If he looks overmatched they should look for opportunities to let him bunt and at least help the team and hopefully help gin up some confidence. But if he looks ready to hit, then swing away, young man. Left-center gapper to the wall, please.

Either way, I'm glad he's in just for the shake up. I loath stale lineups. They promote complacency.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to stan17's comment:

I wonder what the reason is?

tight groin

just goes to prove crime does not pay

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

For fans sick of OTHER fans getting sick of Ellsbury, from one fan, here's the list:

-Tito sometime around 09 stating basically he needs to understand how important it is to be out there. This after rumblings about him needing a kick in the a s s at Pawtucket from time to time because he doesn't like playing at anything less than 100%.

-The rib injury/injuries. Still stands as the longest time missed for that kind of injury...whether you want to count it as one or two doesn't matter, he was out longer than any player I can find any info on with a rib injury. Facts are facts, Ellsbury was out longer than anyone in history for that kind of injury.

-Notebook page, high-school style interview with notes. Not only possibly fragile/soft, also OBVIOUSLY thin-skinned.

-Rehabs on West coast which obviously irked teammates as some commented on it publicly.

-Seasons at such extreme ends of the spectrum it almost defies logic and begs questions about PEDs.

-Does not have a personality that anyone has much of an opinion of, which may not hurt, but certainly doesn't help.

-And not to be overlooked - the fact that one Mr Borass is his agent.

If you want to ignore ALL of the above, what are you left with? A guy who has fascinated us with his talent...about 25% of the time he's been on the field. And when he DOES do something special, he's hurt afterwards.

He's now 30, and will be looking, presumably, for at least 5 years. At 30, he steals 5 bases and needs a night off. He's a player predicated on speed. At 32, what are 2 steals in a game going to do to him? Imagine if he hits 2 doubles and a triple! May be a DL stint if that happens.

He's like a Lamboughini. Looks great. Tons of power. Breaks down every other month with some $1000 problem and spends more time in the shop than on the road. Just not worth it. It will be one of my greatest disappointment that in 2010 when the Dodgers were taking feelers on a 'down' Matt Kemp in the midst of a relationship with Rihanna. I was SCREAMING to package Ells and a pitcher and everyone thought I was certafiably insane. Even with Kemp again having a 'down' year (any doubt how bad Crawford/Beckett/Gonzalez are for a TEAM now?), I'd be very happy with him in CF, at 20 mil per, for the next 6.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Another stellar example of some leadership by the collegiate wonder last night.....  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Agreed.  Very impressed with Iggy in the here and now though.  Kid came back up with bat blazing and jumped into the hot corner like it was cool water.

I agree space. Hes impressed me a lot. Has a very confident aura about him. Id like to see a larger sample size than 46AB before Im convinced hes here to stay and should be starting at SS over Drew...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

My guess is that we'll see Vazquez next year as well, kind of under Ross' tuteledge.  It won't be a typical RS team, but I'd guess that anyone that values old-school BB, will like seeing Vazquez, Iggy, and JBJ up the middle.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I am so over Ellsbury that all I see when I look at him is a draft pick. At the same time, I think the guy has sincerely done his best and I wish nothing but the best for him going forward and I think he still finishes strong this year. We need him to be a key player in 2013 in order to win this thing. 

I am an Ellsbury fan. And deservedly so IMO.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects's comment:

I am so over Ellsbury that all I see when I look at him is a draft pick. At the same time, I think the guy has sincerely done his best and I wish nothing but the best for him going forward and I think he still finishes strong this year. We need him to be a key player in 2013 in order to win this thing. 

Your not alone I'm with you. Watch, Im going to call it Papelbon II

Kid was awesome throughout his Minor League Career, went to Parent Club, kicked butt, then won WS. Had good years, injured in a Occupation where your chance of injury is pretty high.  Management should have taken, and could have taken care of him. When he leaves, this will haunt them. Just like Papelbon.
    Watch the Yanks sign him, Cashman not stupid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I hope you realize this thread is not about a hypothetical future but about the here and now.  You have so completely overblown Bradley's leadership, fielding, and hitting it will not be virtually impossible for him to live up to your incessant hype, which is worse than anything done for Ellsbury.

We now have one one game under our belts with Bradley starting in CF for Ellsbury.  The Sox lost.  Bradley went 0 for 3, including 2 K's.  He made a nice grab in centerfield, but it was nothing Ellsbury wouldn't have caught with ease.  He also made a terrible throw to 3B which fortunately Drew (yes, Drew, because Iglesias was lying down, apparently unaware 3B needed to be covered) made a great stop on preventing a run from scoring. 

The irony is we all want Bradley to succeed, but few of us are so sure of Bradley we want Ellsbury on the bench, especially right now.  You and Bill-806 are the only two who have clamored for playing Bradley and dumping Ellsbury, and now you are getting your wish.  What's that saying?  Be careful what you wish for.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:

If he looks overmatched they should look for opportunities to let him bunt and at least help the team and hopefully help gin up some confidence. But if he looks ready to hit, then swing away, young man. Left-center gapper to the wall, please.

Either way, I'm glad he's in just for the shake up. I loath stale lineups. They promote complacency.

Stale lineups is how the Yankees won those 27 WS. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I like JBJ, wish he was playing Right Field in Fenway, toughest Outfield Position. Ellsbury and JBJ, really like it. Never going to happen. To me thats sad, both these kids Sox Drafted, paid their dues, and were our kids. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

That's the way I figure.  I like Ells, but this is exactly how FA should be played.  We got our 6 years.  We developed his replacement, and should score a draft pick.  If a player wants to give you a discount to stay, fine.  If he wants the top offer on the table, those guys are seldom worth it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

My guess is that we'll see Vazquez next year as well, kind of under Ross' tuteledge.  It won't be a typical RS team, but I'd guess that anyone that values old-school BB, will like seeing Vazquez, Iggy, and JBJ up the middle.

I would LOVE to see Vasquez, with Iggy/Pedey and JBJ in CF in 2014. THAT would/could be the best up the middle defense in MLB.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Bradley had a big hit last night, the double to deep center that got things started, then 2 more hits.   Well done.