ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

ellsbury

if ells signs with another team do the sox get an extra first round draft choice/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: ellsbury

In response to canetime's comment:

if ells signs with another team do the sox get an extra first round draft choice/

Ells declines QO and signs with another team, yes Sox do get a compensation pick from the team which signs Ells.  However, #1-11(#11 for the Jays for failure to sign previous #10 pick) are protected for 2014 draft which means teams with 1-11 picks are not tiltled to losing their picks even if they sign Ells.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Ells declines QO and signs with another team, yes Sox do get a compensation pick from the team which signs Ells.  However, #1-11(#11 for the Jays for failure to sign previous #10 pick) are protected for 2014 draft which means teams with 1-11 picks are not tiltled to losing their picks even if they sign Ells.  

1-11 will lose a 2nd round pick and the sox still get a comp pick regardless.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

1-11 will lose a 2nd round pick and the sox still get a comp pick regardless.

reportedly this years draft is VERY deep in talent and there will be some good picks late into the first round and into the middle rounds.  If there is a year to grab a few more picks....this is the year.

In a perfect world the team who has the 11th worst record will sign Ellsbury.  And possibly some of the other guys who are borderline signees for other teams possibly they would be willing to lose their 2nd round pick as opposed to a first.  I'd take a early first round pick for a Stephen Drew. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I want to admit I've not done a lot of research on next years draft class, this is what I heard from the guys over at Soxprospects. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, Boston is going to resign him.  They will not let him to walk away.  I know there are alot of guys have mentioned about they will return to the club, but they didnt such as Pujols, Sabathia, Hamilton, etc.

I do rather to have Ellsbury more than Bradley!!   Ellsbury is an already 5 times better player than Bradley at the same time he is still in his prime time!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The team that signs Ellsbury loses their top unprotected pick, but the Sox do not receive it.  Their compensation is one sandwich pick, assuming Ellsbury declines the QO.  Which he will...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Well, Boston is going to resign him.  They will not let him to walk away.  I know there are alot of guys have mentioned about they will return to the club, but they didnt such as Pujols, Sabathia, Hamilton, etc.

I do rather to have Ellsbury more than Bradley!!   Ellsbury is an already 5 times better player than Bradley at the same time he is still in his prime time!!

Yeah but do you really want to pay Ellsbury that money from age 30 on??? the Man is going to get paid, and might fall off a cliff in a few years.  When you have a top prospect who is insanely close to ready at a position where a guy is looking to get a big payday on the FA market with Boras as his client....you let him walk.  You can get  a draft pick and use the money elsewhere. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

i think technically you are receiving a 1st round oick, even from the protected teams....it just isnt in their draft slot but at the end of the round, meaning you do not get the draft slot of theri second round pick that they are losing.....so if the # 10 team signs Ells, they keep theri first round pick, but lose their 2nd round pick(say #42), but the Sox receive a 1st round pick, after all the slotted 1st round draft picks....which is why they end up with more 1st round picks then teams.....I could be wrong , so let me know if I am.

The Sox would also get the same type of pick from  any team outside of 1-11 who previously had lost their 1st round pick for signing an earlier free agent, and they would lose their next available pick.

That said.....I have been all over on Ells....but right now, I wish the Sox would figure out a way andd a $ figute to keep him on the team next year....I like J Brad, but Ells brings something to the Sox that is going to be hard to duplicate

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

i think technically you are receiving a 1st round oick, even from the protected teams....it just isnt in their draft slot but at the end of the round, meaning you do not get the draft slot of theri second round pick that they are losing.....so if the # 10 team signs Ells, they keep theri first round pick, but lose their 2nd round pick(say #42), but the Sox receive a 1st round pick, after all the slotted 1st round draft picks....which is why they end up with more 1st round picks then teams.....I could be wrong , so let me know if I am.

The Sox would also get the same type of pick from  any team outside of 1-11 who previously had lost their 1st round pick for signing an earlier free agent, and they would lose their next available pick.

That said.....I have been all over on Ells....but right now, I wish the Sox would figure out a way andd a $ figute to keep him on the team next year....I like J Brad, but Ells brings something to the Sox that is going to be hard to duplicate

That's right I keep on getting confused with this new system.  So we may actually want a team with a protected pick to sign our guys.  So we should want a team who would be interested in Ellsbury to fall in the top 11 because then it would increase our chances of getting a pick, contrary to what I said earlier.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sox get a Draft Pick next year, 2014, then the Pick makes to big Leagues by 2017. No Thanks I'll take the chance with Ellsbury.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Sox get a Draft Pick next year, 2014, then the Pick makes to big Leagues by 2017. No Thanks I'll take the chance with Ellsbury.

Your not JUST getting a draft pick. You are opening up a hole for one of your top prospects who is better defesively in CF with the ability to go out and spend that same money at a position you have NO ONE next year.......and the draft pick. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

From everything Iv'e read from all the scouts over at MLB, Soxprospects, Fangraphs, BaseballAmerica etc etc there seems to an overwhelming consensus that JBJ is an elite defensive CFer.

Ellsbury is more of a burner but JBJ is a natural who takes perfect routes to balls (we've all seen Ellsbury break late and take bad routes all the time)

Where there is zero argument is in the arm.  Ellsbury has a weak arm, JBJ has plus plus arm strength. 

so JBJ is better defensively