Enough tinkering with the starting lineup!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Enough tinkering with the starting lineup!

With our pitching & hitting off to such a bad start, I understand why Tito has felt the need to 'tinker' with the daily 'starting lineup,' BUT I truly think it's time to GO WITH the 'regular' starters.  Our subs (Cameron, McDonald, Scutaro, Salty, etc.) NEED to get comfortable with their role on this team, and the starters (YES! Lowrie, Tek. 'for now', etc.) need to settle into the season without all the DAILY tinkering.  If stats mean anything, and they do, our regular starters WILL heat up, BUT I think the tinkering MAY be adding to the inconsistency at this point.

THE GOOD NEWS.......  It looks like or starting pitchers are perhaps getting it together???  Even Lackey & Dice-K!?!?!?! :)  Beckett looks awesome!  Let's pray he's really back!  It really looks that way:)  Lester IS ALWAYS solid!  Buchholz IS working it out!

THE BAD NEWS?????  Why are SO MANY of our statistically GOOD hitters still struggling???  Getting back in the groove after injury.......  New team?????? 
    Playing under the Boston Microscope????  The constant Tinkering??????????

At this point......
      Now that the Sox are starting to get into the 'winning'
    (not trying to quote Charlie Sheen) groove, I really think it's time for Tito to GO WITH a CONSISTENT lineup!  THEN........... Depending on the ebb & flow of the game, bring in pinch-hitters as NEEDED!

It's time to let this TEAM settle in for the long haul!

p.s.   It's time to 'cut bait' on the Salty water fishing 'trip!'

p.p.s.   Lowrie MUST be our REGULAR starting SS.  Sorry Marco!!!

p.p.s.  Pray they're looking for a good catcher!  OR  Salty as backup??????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrytito. Show terrytito's posts

Re: Enough tinkering with the starting lineup!

"TINKERING."

i imagine TITO lifting the hood on his new car to TINKER with the fuel injection so it runs more efficiently.
    after he gets done TINKERING, now the car won't even start.

only a trained auto technician should mess with the fuel injection and only a real baseball manager should mess with the line-up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i agree - one of the things about tito's managerial style that i admired was his insistence on sticking with players - Papi being the greatest example a few years ago...then this year he has crawford in a different spot in the lineup after just 2 games and everyone taking turns at leadoff-including the hot dog guys...this team is too good to tinker with - just put your starters in everyday except when they're tired and watch the wins pile up

it aint rocket science...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

Teams employ over 50-100 different lineups every season.  As a result, I'm not overly concerned with the lineup changing daily.  I'm not saying the tinkering will help, but I also don't think it does as much harm as everyone seems to think it does.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

One more thing, I'm not convinced Lowrie and Varitek are actually starters.  I think they were playing more frequently due to platoon advantages (facing five lefties in six games). 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Well, I disagree.

Tinkering is what you call it.

But if I had a team that was supposed to go 162-0 , and they stood at 3 and 10 or something like that, I'd be "tinkering" with my ,lineup too.

One big problem, no one has proven that they can fill the role of leadoff hitter with consistency. Obviously, Crawford and Ellsbury are the best choices because of speed. I honestly do not like Drew as a leadoff batter. Watching called 3rd strikes is best suited for someone hitting 6th or lower.Lowrie has shown a hot bat lately, with power...you really want this guy batting where he can drive in some runs, not leadoff.

Another problem is the amount of lefty starters the Sox are seeing. This raises hell with the predominatlly LH batting lineup that Francona has inherited from Theo.

But when things are going bad, you have try new things.

Can't blame him for trying , to do nothing is not managing your team.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

You got it georom4!  What's the answer for our catching?  If Tek could start hitting I'd go with him, but I'm not sure he truly can handle both sides of the plate anymore.  I love the guy, but ......   Lowrie all the way???  Scutaro as backup / utility???

Batting order???

Els., Pedroia, Yuke, A-Gon, Lowrie, Papi, J.D., Tek., Crawford

Thinking about trying to break up all the lefties & give guys cover?????

Not sure, but......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

When dealing with such a lefty heavy roster, new blood, a tremendously poor offensive start, two catchers neither of whom can hit, I think it is part of the process that there is early experimentation.  Without any of these mitigating factor, there is always some tinkering in the early months.  That is how its done.  No big deal.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the lefties right now given  that the lefites aren't hitting righties either so you just bat them at the bottom anyways.

I go with

Pedey, Lowrie, Youk, Gonzalez, Ortiz, Drew/Cameron, Salty/Tek, Ellsbury, Crawford

Platoon in RF and Catcher

and I think I like Gonzo behind Youk to get Youk better pitches to see..

the key thing is that Pedey doesn't mind batting leadoff which I don't think he does

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Zilla,

Well, I disagree.

Tinkering is what you call it.

But if I had a team that was supposed to go 162-0 , and they stood at 3 and 10 or something like that, I'd be "tinkering" with my ,lineup too.

Zilla, 

I agree with this!  Tito's been in a tough situation with SO MANY guys getting off to such a BAD start.  I probably would have done the same thing.............

BUT...... At this point, now that they are showing signs of life, I think it's time to go with A consistent set of 'starters.'

It's definitely been tough starting the season against some REALLY GOOD left handed pitchers.  Man...........  Let's hope that doesn't keep up at the pace it has started!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

But how Francona is handling Crawford has not been good to say the least......Just bat him 9th, play him every game, assign Mags to him full time, and leave him alone......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In Response to Re: Enough tinkering with the starting lineup!:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't worry too much about the lefties right now given  that the lefites aren't hitting righties either so you just bat them at the bottom anyways. I go with Pedey, Lowrie, Youk, Gonzalez, Ortiz, Drew/Cameron, Salty/Tek, Ellsbury, Crawford Platoon in RF and Catcher and I think I like Gonzo behind Youk to get Youk better pitches to see.. the key thing is that Pedey doesn't mind batting leadoff which I don't think he does
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I don't like the idea of platooning w/ Cameron??????  I know that's been the plan, but I'm affraid the guy might be all done????  I hear he's a good clubhouse guy.  He certainly looks to be in good shape...  I just don't have much confidence in him at the plate.  On the other hand, J.D. has looked pretty bad against some of that GOOD left handed pitching.  I'd MUCH rather see more of McDonald.  He guy's got a lot of pop!  I personally would try to trade Cameron.  I know...... Not gonna get much for him at his price-tag.  It's gonna cost!

???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

Tito's tinkering with the lineup is good fodder with posters who like to be armchair managers and come to a forum and discuss the lineup for the last three months and love to tinker with Tito's tinkering. If the BDC regulars can have hundreds of lineup permutations for months then why can't Tito. Let him play the game also.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldn't worry too much about the lefties right now given  that the lefites aren't hitting righties either so you just bat them at the bottom anyways. I go with Pedey, Lowrie, Youk, Gonzalez, Ortiz, Drew/Cameron, Salty/Tek, Ellsbury, Crawford Platoon in RF and Catcher and I think I like Gonzo behind Youk to get Youk better pitches to see.. the key thing is that Pedey doesn't mind batting leadoff which I don't think he does
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I like this idea, but ALL THOSE LEFTIES stacked toward the bottom of the order could cause problems late in the game when facing the bull-pens?????

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

although..... Tek had been a good RH bat???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

At some point the team will win about 4 or 5 in a row.

...and at that point I would agree with a stable lineup.

"Showing signs of life" is not the same as "on a roll."

I always feel that April is an extension of Spring Training. Even though the games count, the manager still has to find out what he's got. Some of the players are fringe players ( Reyes...who is already gone, McDonald, Okajima, possibly even Cameron are in this category) and they must be tested to see if they should be retained or cut loose.

You surely don't want to be "tinkering" in September...unless you are preparing for next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasloco. Show losmediasloco's posts

I like this idea, but ALL THOSE LEFTIES stacked toward the bottom of the order could cause problems late in the game when facing the bull-pens?????

Facing the bullpen normally happens over the last three innings or nine outs so therefore the entire lineup will be facing the bullpen.

The only instance where the bottom of the batting order will be facing the 9th inning reliever without fail is if the opposing starting pitcher left after a perfect game after eight innings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I think when Theo Epstein handed Francona a starting nine that had that had 5 LH, 3 of which struggle mightily with LH pitching, 2 catchers which have questionable offense (one 39 and the the other a guy on the edge of earning the label "bust") and the 2B struggled with LH pitchers, we were not going to see the same line-up card every day, any more. The starting 9 is talented but lacks balance versus LH pitching.

Now compound this with the bad start and the fact that SS was far from settled based on Scutaro's 2010 and the potential Lowrie showed in 2010.

We were going to see a lot of juggling. I think finally seeing a few RH pitchers in a row in Anaheim the RS will show more stability in the line-up card and the anticipated starting line-up will mostly prevail. The exceptions will be Lowrie, who is just to hot to sit and until he goes cold and more Tek than we anticipated.

Heck, sometimes it is damned if you do, damned if you don't because if Tito kept sending the same core 9 out every day he'd be blasted (and rightfully so) for not being able to read career splits.

And BTW, I know it has been an awful start but the RS are 4-1 in their last 5 games. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

[QUOTE]I like this idea, but ALL THOSE LEFTIES stacked toward the bottom of the order could cause problems late in the game when facing the bull-pens????? Facing the bullpen normally happens over the last three innings or nine outs so therefore the entire lineup will be facing the bullpen. The only instance where the bottom of the batting order will be facing the 9th inning reliever without fail is if the opposing starting pitcher left after a perfect game after eight innings.
    Posted by losmediasloco[/QUOTE]

I too wasn't aware that the only batters in the late innings were from the bottom of the order. You learn something new every day here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Excuse me for the misunderstanding.  I was assuming he was proposing the lineup against RH pitchers.  Guess I was trying to be conciliatory, but to be truthful.... I just don't like it!  too many lefties in a row!  Gotta break that up as much as possible.  I would go L R L R as much as possible.... i.e. my a forementioned lineup would be better.  ???

Els., Pedroia, Yuke, A-Gon, Lowrie, Papi, J.D., Tek., Crawford

I will try never to be nice again, & give a guy a pat on the back for such a bone-headed lineup.  Sorry!  :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Els. will settle in!  Trying a bit too hard to hit for power & watching toooooo many 3rd strikes.  This last point surprises me, as Els had been very good at protecting the plate on the 3rd strike in the past????  I like him as the leadoff in the long run.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I like this idea, but ALL THOSE LEFTIES stacked toward the bottom of the order could cause problems late in the game when facing the bull-pens????? Facing the bullpen normally happens over the last three innings or nine outs so therefore the entire lineup will be facing the bullpen. The only instance where the bottom of the batting order will be facing the 9th inning reliever without fail is if the opposing starting pitcher left after a perfect game after eight innings.
    Posted by losmediasloco[/QUOTE]

No, the point he is trying to make is that the opposition can bring in a lefty at whatever point those 3 lefties are hitting back to back to back and, in whatever inning that is, it makes it that much more difficult to generate any offense in that given inning.  Its not about facing the bullpen as a whole or facing the ninth inning reliever.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough tinkering with the starting lineup! :   No, the point he is trying to make is that the opposition can bring in a lefty at whatever point those 3 lefties are hitting back to back to back and, in whatever inning that is, it makes it that much more difficult to generate any offense in that given inning.  Its not about facing the bullpen as a whole or facing the ninth inning reliever.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I get that!  I completely agree!  We flat out don't want all those lefties stacked at ANY TIME, even if we're facing a RHP.  I thought it was dumb from the word go, but I was trying not to bash the guy over the head.  Trying to give him an out for not realizing he had his BO LLLLL at the bottom.  :)  I get ya :)  We actually agree, I'm just not being very clear.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Not nearly enough tinkering.  Ellsbury (less his 4 dingers) and Crawford are in horrible slumps, and their backup righties (Cameron, McDonald) are no better.  Tek is a much better catcher than Salty, but he may also be the worst hitter in MLB.  Drew and Ortiz have shown they have issues hitting lefties.  Lowrie needs to play every day, which creates a problem for Scutaro.  And so on. 

We already know that Francona hates to tinker with the lineup, but these are unusual times.  Worst ERA in the AL and a lineup that has been much worse than projected. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Enough tinkering with the starting lineup! : I like this idea, but ALL THOSE LEFTIES stacked toward the bottom of the order could cause problems late in the game when facing the bull-pens?????
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

I should have crossed out the I like this idea, but

Fact of the matter was, I DIDN'T LIKE THAT IDEA, but I was trying to be nice :)

That's it, I'm trading in my Euphemistic conciliation for my nunchuck naysayer
    style.  At least I'll be clearer????