ESPN proposes Sox trade for JUpton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

ESPN proposes Sox trade for JUpton

Columnist Jim Bowden of ESPN has proposed a Red Sox trade of Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes and Brandon Jacobs to the Diamondbacks for Justin Upton, according to MLB Trade Rumors:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/red-sox-notes-napoli-upton-laroche.html

I'm not sure that's what softlaw1 anticipated.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

Re: ESPN proposes Sox trade for JUpton

Crawford part II

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Hope he is wrong.  It's why he works for ESPN.  Giving up three big pieces of the future for a player that may or may not help a team in transition win a few more games is now what I want to see BC do.  Besides, BC does not have that much room left on the payroll for 2013.  Whatever he does have left ought to go toward upgrading the starting pitching, not the offensive output of the OF.  Just my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Columnist Jim Bowden of ESPN has proposed a Red Sox trade of Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes and Brandon Jacobs to the Diamondbacks for Justin Upton, according to MLB Trade Rumors:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/red-sox-notes-napoli-upton-laroche.html

I'm not sure that's what softlaw1 anticipated.

[/QUOTE]

NOT ....................Going to happen... Bogarts, Barns  ... lol lol lol ..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

NOT ....................Going to happen... Bogarts, Barns  ... lol lol lol ...

The proposed offer for three years of 25-year-old Justin Upton is the rough equivalent of the three-player package the Red Sox traded in December 2010 for one year of 28-year-old Adrian Gonzalez.

SoxProspects currently ranks Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes and Brandon Jacobs No. 1, No. 2 and No. 18 in the Boston farm system. At the time of the Adrian Gonzalez trade, SoxProspects ranked Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo and Reymond Fuentes No. 1, No. 3 and No. 16 in the organization.

Justin Upton has been valued at 17.1 WAR* in 731 career games. At the time of his 2010 trade, Adrian Gonzalez had been valued at 20.9 WAR in 757 career games.

Given the years of team control, the Diamondbacks would be reasonable in asking for Bogaerts, Barnes and Jacobs in a trade of Justin Upton.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

The proposed offer for three years of 25-year-old Justin Upton is the rough equivalent of the three-player package the Red Sox traded in December 2010 for one year of 28-year-old Adrian Gonzalez.

SoxProspects currently ranks Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes and Brandon Jacobs No. 1, No. 2 and No. 18 in the Boston farm system. At the time of the Adrian Gonzalez trade, SoxProspects ranked Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo and Reymond Fuentes No. 1, No. 3 and No. 16 in the organization.

Justin Upton has been valued at 17.1 WAR* in 731 career games. At the time of his 2010 trade, Adrian Gonzalez had been valued at 20.9 WAR in 757 career games.

Given the years of team control, the Diamondbacks would be reasonable in asking for Bogaerts, Barnes and Jacobs in a trade of Justin Upton.

[/QUOTE]

Make it happen.

Then deal Ellsbury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I was wondering when Moon would weigh in. This package is less than what he proposed some month(s)? ago, so I am not surprised that he would give it a thumbs up.

While I wouldn't want to lose Bogaerts, it has to be a fair trade on both sides. This would be OK in my book as well.

This would certainly fit into Bill's blockbuster trade idea...

Hopefully by dealing Ellsbury and perhaps an outfield prospect (we will have Upton and Victorino in the outfield for 3 years), we can get a first base prospect or pitching prospect.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Make it happen.

Then deal Ellsbury.

[/QUOTE]

or don't trade ells. put J Upton at first, then we don't have a liability in the OF and can let Naps walk

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No interest in a deal like this.  Perhaps a deal like this would be a better fit for the Mariners.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I would prefer to keep Bogaerts , who has a very high ceiling.  Jacobs is a marginal prospect. Barnes may be highly overrated. He has a lot to prove,  if he is going to be a big time MLB pitcher. I have no problem including him in the deal.  I would like to do this deal if we could substitute others for Bogaerts. If not , then I think we should pass.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Do not do this Red Sox.  keep Boagerts - and let him play as soon as possible.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Since when do columnists propose trades?

For what it's worth, ESPN is being sued right now for, basically, libel.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Mark Schlereth is a disgrace. ESPN Stinks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I do not like Bowden's trade proposal.  Besides, Arizona only makes trades with Oakland.  LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Do not do this Red Sox.  keep Boagerts - and let him play as soon as possible.

[/QUOTE]

If the Red Sox keep Bogaerts, and they probably will, I would also like to see him play at the Major League level ASAP. Hopefully, he won't have to have three years of "seasoning"! Some of us would like to see Upton because he has already had MVP-level years at under 25. Bogaerts hit well during a short time in AA. let's see what he can do in Spring Training and/or AAA.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

got a feeling bogaerts will hit like the next hansley rameirez.......keep him

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i have been hoping all offseason that the sox trade for justin upton. the trade proposed by jim bowden is not that ridiculous and is actually quite realistic. look what the jays gave up for dickey who is 38 years old. i would trade barnes and jacobs no problem, i would try to avoid dealing boegart but if the deal hinged on him being in it, then i would probably do it. yes boegarts could be the next hanley ramirez, but in reality he has not proven anythng at the major league level yet. the royals traded will meyers who is a better prospect that boegarts for james shields. we need a number 3 hitter and justin upton could be that guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Keep Barnes:

Tell the Dbacks they can use Ellsbury and his Draft compensation plus Webster or De La Rosa plus Brentz and anyone else but Barnes and Bradley, Jr and Bogaerts to net 2 top prospects and one farm scrap (Jacobs) they like from another team or teams. If that won't do it, and that's more than this beat pipe dreamer is suggesting, insert Bogearts for Brentz.

Ellsbury and his draft compensation should be used as currency in the pool of players to close this deal.

[/QUOTE]

Why would the Red Sox trade Jacoby Ellsbury, a better player and better value, along with the farm to get Upton.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree hill55, the Diamondbacks would be reasonable to ask for those players. However, not all 1-2 prospects are equal. In this case, Kelley was ranked 31 by BA and Rizzo 75. In comparison, I expect Bogaerts to be ranked about 10 and Barnes to be in the 40-50 range. Personally, I have Bogearts 8th and Barnes 35th. Going by just the likely BA rankings, I would guess that Bogaerts and Barnes have 50% more value then Kelly and Rizzo did combined. I personally value Bogaerts alone more then Rizzo and Kelley combined.

Secondly is the WAR values. Career wise according to FG, the difference is as you stated. However, BR's WAR values likes Upton less. And if you look at 1, 2 or 3 year numbers in either WAR  system, Upton comes out more like  betwen 25-50% less valuable then AGon.

Then there are the intangibles like attitude and park factors.

Finally, although its true that AGon was under control for only 1 year, it was at 6 million vs. Upton at around 13 million. As well as the extreme likelyhood that Agon was going to sign with Boston anyway, which was a huge factor in the deal and its value.

The only advantages Upton has is with age and length. For me, not enough to offset the AGon advantages.

Personally, I am against trading for Upton on many fronts. It would go against everything the Sox have done this off season. In particular from an attitude perspective. But I would definately be against this Bogaerts-Barnes-Jacobs proposal from a simple value stand point. Somewhat close, but a bad deal for the Red Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to soups's comment:

For what it's worth, ESPN is being sued right now for, basically, libel.

Do you have details (or a link to more information)?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I'm just not a big Justin Upton fan...his power is every other year, he has never had 90 RBI and he strikes out a ton.  Bogaerts and Barnes is too much, for my money, though I understand why others would think he is a good long-term fit.  But he is nowhere near the offensive force Gonzalez was at the time Boston traded 3 top 20 picks to get him. 

As for Jacobs being a throw-in talent, I disagree.  He actually projects to be a player a lot like Upton, if he continues to develop.  Unfortunately last season he had a hamate bone injury in his hand, hampering his offensive production, but the year prior was very good for an ex-football player just two years out of high school.  Give him time; he just turned 22.  He may be the Sox all-star left-fielder in 2016.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Maybe Steve Phillips can propose some trades, then we can really be a last place team.