ESPN proposes Sox trade for JUpton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: ESPN proposes Sox trade for JUpton

We would be better off with Bourn and it would only cost a draft pick instead of two top prospects.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, Arizona have listened so many offers for a while and still Arizona isnt biting on any team's offers lately.  Lastest is that Texas offered them Olt along with few players, and still Arizona isnt biting this deal.  They rather to have Andrus and probably Olt too.   If that is the case, Arizona would probably ask for Lavarnway too!!

Forget this guy. He may fit perfect at Fenway Park, but let it go, I rather to trade prospects for a good pitcher!!  Like Boston trade Hanley/Sanchez for Beckett and Lowell who both helped Boston to win another world series of the 2000's as well they almost made to back to back WS in 2008. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to donrd4's comment:

NOT ....................Going to happen... Bogarts, Barns  ... lol lol lol ...

The proposed offer for three years of 25-year-old Justin Upton is the rough equivalent of the three-player package the Red Sox traded in December 2010 for one year of 28-year-old Adrian Gonzalez.

SoxProspects currently ranks Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes and Brandon Jacobs No. 1, No. 2 and No. 18 in the Boston farm system. At the time of the Adrian Gonzalez trade, SoxProspects ranked Casey Kelly, Anthony Rizzo and Reymond Fuentes No. 1, No. 3 and No. 16 in the organization.

Justin Upton has been valued at 17.1 WAR* in 731 career games. At the time of his 2010 trade, Adrian Gonzalez had been valued at 20.9 WAR in 757 career games.

Given the years of team control, the Diamondbacks would be reasonable in asking for Bogaerts, Barnes and Jacobs in a trade of Justin Upton.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

[/QUOTE]

They can ask for whatever....Istill think ...NOT !!! And about this WAR CRAP.....Value... you say valule ??? Any way you can twist things to make it look like it's all good. You can only wait til  season is over to judge any player on your stupid value or WAR CRAP ! What might be great one year can be a bust the next. I for one do not believe in paper work to value a player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

To go on WAR alone isnt a good idea IMO. Uptons stats say hes up and down and inconsistent. If he was a solid performer from year to year, then maybe. But hes not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to poprox13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Crawford part II

[/QUOTE]

How do you know this ? Did you go and visit a fortune teller, and that is what she told you after looking in the crystal ball. Sure wish i could predict the future, I would make one hell of good GM.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

They can ask for whatever....Istill think ...NOT !!! And about this WAR CRAP.....Value... you say valule ??? Any way you can twist things to make it look like it's all good. You can only wait til  season is over to judge any player on your stupid value or WAR CRAP ! What might be great one year can be a bust the next. I for one do not believe in paper work to value a player.

I'm interested in your opinion. How do you assess a player's value? How do you determine "What might be great one year can be a bust the next"?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We would be better off with Bourn and it would only cost a draft pick instead of two top prospects.

[/QUOTE]

Good point, but OF is a concern for the sox mngt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To go on WAR alone isnt a good idea IMO. Uptons stats say hes up and down and inconsistent. If he was a solid performer from year to year, then maybe. But hes not.

[/QUOTE]

Paw, is there anyone in the world that goes on WAR alone?  It's a great, if imperfect, tool to evaluate players, particularly from different teams, positions, leagues, eras, etc.

I suspect most GMs use it, but even the most stat-oriented GMs make extensive use of scouts.  Haven't your heard Beane, Theo, etc. say many times how important scouting is?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Paw, is there anyone in the world that goes on WAR alone?  It's a great, if imperfect, tool to evaluate players, particularly from different teams, positions, leagues, eras, etc.

I suspect most GMs use it, but even the most stat-oriented GMs make extensive use of scouts.  Haven't your heard Beane, Theo, etc. say many times how important scouting is?

[/QUOTE]

Oh, I understand all that. I was just saying that in reference to Hills post. He often sites just WAR to give a players value. im not against him using that, but just think that theres a lot more to it than that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Oh, I understand all that. I was just saying that in reference to Hills post. He often sites just WAR to give a players value. im not against him using that, but just think that theres a lot more to it than that.

I have no argument with that point ... WAR (or any other stat) merely starts the discussion, but WAR is as good a start as anything publicly available.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I knew you got that.  Re Hill, I think he uses it the way I described, maybe I'm wrong.  I think Hill uses it effectively here i.e. some posters go on and on about players you know they rarely if ever see play (even on the telly)....and WAR is a nice tool to roughly gauge relative performance. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have no argument with that point ... WAR (or any other stat) merely starts the discussion, but WAR is as good a start as anything publicly available.

[/QUOTE]

agreed

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

with a couple clubhouse issues thrown in

Meaningless, and racist based bugaboo.

J. Upton, at 25, will get better, not that he hasn't been very good. Ellsbury is nearly 30 years old and relies on speed and a potent lineup in front of him. Anyone attempting to pretend "these guys are similar except Upton has a bad attiutde" is truly delusional.

[/QUOTE]

folks, your reading a pathetic nobody above calling people racist.

You dont even know if Im african-american or not you brave little man behind a keyboard.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

FU = "clubhouse issues"

Hard and detailed fact based poster;)

[/QUOTE]

I edited that because I decided not to sink to your level. Your not really worth it and wouldnt be so brave in person. cant wait til you get banned again.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

LAROCHE!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

only trade Bogaerts in a deal for Stanton. Upton is extremely overrated.

Upton career .255 with RISP is god AWFUL. He'll be another JD Drew in Boston. Complimtary piece, not a main piece. Stay away.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hope he is wrong.  It's why he works for ESPN.  Giving up three big pieces of the future for a player that may or may not help a team in transition win a few more games is now what I want to see BC do.  Besides, BC does not have that much room left on the payroll for 2013.  Whatever he does have left ought to go toward upgrading the starting pitching, not the offensive output of the OF.  Just my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

Agree with you 100%, Par.   I just got my appitite whetted for some of these fellas ... hate to see them gone.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

I rather to trade prospects for a good pitcher!!

You might rather do a lot of things, but there is no way you will identify "a good pitcher" that will be traded for "prospects". Beckett came because of the Lowell salary dump for a small market team, and the "prospect" wasn't a "prospect" anymore than Harper was "a prospect".

[/QUOTE]

I will also like to see, if the Sox want to give up top prospects. Use the prospects and Doubront to get an elite pitcher. I am not saying the Sox have to go get an elite pitcher but would be the best move. Not to many GM's are willing to give up their top of order pitching.

Once the Napoli situation is fixed, hopefully in the Sox favor. If not, then I will not give up any prospects to pursue another 1B player. Berkman with a 2nd year option, or even Morse would be trade candidate for prospects. The Nats are still trying to sign Laroche. So far not being sucessful making the Morse trade highly unlikely.

Berkman Morse and Gomez would make an above avg. depth for OF and 1B

OF Gomes Kalish Ells Victorino Morse

1B Morse Berkman Gomez

Late innings or extra innings replacements Gomez Berkman

Morse can play LF on the road, Berkman or Gomez share duties on first when on the road.

Morse on first for home games, and Gomes playing LF for home games.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Given the new CBA and where we're drafting this year ( I believe in the top ten), it would cost them a high pick and almost as important the moneys slotted for said player would be subtracted from the pool of moneys the team is alloted by MLB to sign all of thier picks...No small issue given the decending order of the moneys it would represent a large % of the overall dollars...

The real question in my mind is not the value of the prospects. Remember Lars Anderson was once a can't miss top 10 in all of baseball prospect that faded to black against higher levels of competition. Rather, can we with certainly project that any of our top prospects will equal or exceed Uptons prodution over the next three seasons? 25 HR 90 RBI hitting in the .280-350-450-800 range. The answer to that question will ultimately determine whether the Sox and D-Backs can find a suitable deal...Personally I'm skepital given that the D-Backs have turned down some pretty good deals to date...