ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem

You will need ESPNInsider......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem

I think its a big problem but most informed fans don't realistically expect them to do better than 3rd or 4th place this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's why I was for trading for Gavin Floyd and improving the rotation and pen in one move. We'd go from having a "shallow staff" to a solid 12 in my book.

Trade Middlebrooks, Anderson, and Bowden for Gavin Floyd.

This would be our solid 12:

5 Starters: Beckett, Lester, Buchholtz, Floyd, & Doubront (Dice-K)
    6 Relief:     Bailey, Bard, Melancon, Aceves, Morales, Albers

12th man reliever:  Doubront (when Dice-K returns), Tazawa, Miller, Padilla, Cook, Atchison, Wilson, Mathis, Carlson, R. Hill, Jenks, Ohlendorf, Carpenter, Germano, & Maine

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yes, trade for Floyd and sign Oswalt, then we're covered for injuries too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem:
    [QUOTE]That's why I was for trading for Gavin Floyd and improving the rotation and pen in one move. We'd go from having a "shallow staff" to a solid 12 in my book. Trade Middlebrooks, Anderson, and Bowden for Gavin Floyd. This would be our solid 12: 5 Starters: Beckett, Lester, Buchholtz, Floyd, & Doubront (Dice-K) 6 Relief:     Bailey, Bard, Melancon, Aceves, Morales, Albers 12th man reliever:  Doubront (when Dice-K returns), Tazawa, Miller, Padilla, Cook, Atchison, Wilson, Mathis, Carlson, R. Hill, Jenks, Ohlendorf, Carpenter, Germano, & Maine
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

You can't have enough pitching. I know it's a tired, old statement but it's very true. Especially when it comes to viable starters. Seems to me it's easier to aquire relief than an adequate starter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pass-the-hubris-please. Show Pass-the-hubris-please's posts

In response to "Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem": [QUOTE]That's why I was for trading for Gavin Floyd and improving the rotation and pen in one move. We'd go from having a "shallow staff" to a solid 12 in my book. Trade Middlebrooks, Anderson, and Bowden for Gavin Floyd. This would be our solid 12: 5 Starters: Beckett, Lester, Buchholtz, Floyd, & Doubront (Dice-K) 6 Relief:     Bailey, Bard, Melancon, Aceves, Morales, Albers 12th man reliever:  Doubront (when Dice-K returns), Tazawa, Miller, Padilla, Cook, Atchison, Wilson, Mathis, Carlson, R. Hill, Jenks, Ohlendorf, Carpenter, Germano, & Maine Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] Interesting idea. Certainly would solidify the bullpen, leaving Bard and Aceves to anchor a very versatile group of relievers. (Aceves, Melancon, and Ohlendorf - once Yankee farmhands...Aceves was being mourned even before he signed with the Red Sox)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Not the response that Babe and Mikey wanted Moon. Who knows perhaps Miller, Doubront, and Aceves will do well like Colon and Garcia did last year. Time to focus on the hand that we were dealt instead of expecting trades in April and May.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Not the response that Babe and Mikey wanted Moon. Who knows perhaps Miller, Doubront, and Aceves will do well like Colon and Garcia did last year. Time to focus on the hand that we were dealt instead of expecting trades in April and May.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

I never said I expected it. I said I wanted it. Two very different things.

(Although the Sox did trade Scooty as I suggested, signed Cody Ross as I championed, and traded Reddick & Lowrie as well. If they deal Salty, start Lava, and start Iggy I'll be almost perfect in my wishes becoming reality.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]I think its a big problem but most informed fans don't realistically expect them to do better than 3rd or 4th place this year.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE

you know how expectations go, Mikey.....never the way you expect. Last season was a perfect example, on both sides.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem : [QUOTE]I think its a big problem but most informed fans don't realistically expect them to do better than 3rd or 4th place this year. Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE you know how expectations go, Mikey.....never the way you expect. Last season was a perfect example, on both sides.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I expected the Yanks to make the playoffs last year. 

However, setting the bar low is a good thing.  When expectations are set too high that can come back to haunt you ie. SPC saying the Sox would win 114+ games last year and win it all. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]Not the response that Babe and Mikey wanted Moon. Who knows perhaps Miller, Doubront, and Aceves will do well like Colon and Garcia did last year. Time to focus on the hand that we were dealt instead of expecting trades in April and May.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

LOL....well pike, I guess you forgot which one of your aliases had put me on "ignore". If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was from the lowelll persona.

I'll ask once again. Do you have multiple computers all logged in simultaneously with your various aliases or do you have to continually log out/log in from the same commodore vic-20? The former would help you save time when you have a conversation in here with one of your other aliases.

Either way it must make it tough for you to recall who you put on "ignore" under each alias.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem : [QUOTE]I think its a big problem but most informed fans don't realistically expect them to do better than 3rd or 4th place this year. Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE you know how expectations go, Mikey.....never the way you expect. Last season was a perfect example, on both sides.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Depends on what you expected last season. The AL East went pretty much as I expected.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem : I expected the Yanks to make the playoffs last year.  However, setting the bar low is a good thing.  When expectations are set too high that can come back to haunt you ie. SPC saying the Sox would win 114+ games last year and win it all. 
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

Most informed yankee fans didnt have high expectations last season, for the same reasons you're claiming sox fans shouldn't this year. If you did, you're the exception. I havent set the bar too high or too low, it's a long season, the team you start with in April isn't the team you end with in September, due to injuries, trades, etc. I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure thats why they play the games

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem : Most informed yankee fans didnt have high expectations last season, for the same reasons you're claiming sox fans shouldn't this year. If you did, youre the exception. I havent set the bar too high or too low, it's a long season, the teams you start with in April isn't the team you end with in September due to injuries, trades, etc. 
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I'm a Yankee fan, I expect to make the playoffs every year.  They will this season either by winning the division or getting the wild card and most likely the division.  However saying a team is going to the playoffs isn't like predicting a team winning over 110 games.  Setting the bar high in Yankeeville is saying they are going to win the world series without a doubt, saying that they will make the playoffs is par for the course. I'm not saying they will win the world series this year and haven't felt that way in a long time not even in 2009, I haven't felt that way since the 90's. It is a long season and I can't wait for it to start already!! I can't watch much more spring training, thank god for the tournament.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

camelwalk you are back good to see you back whoever you really are. In response to "Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem": [QUOTE]I think its a big problem but most informed fans don't realistically expect them to do better than 3rd or 4th place this year. Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to "Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem": [QUOTE]I think its a big problem but most informed fans don't realistically expect them to do better than 3rd or 4th place this year. Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE] I think that the Sox where a 91 win team that good better in a lot of area and worse in few. 3rd is the worst this team will do. What helps the sox is the second wildcard team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think the 2nd wildcard will hurt the Sox this year. One more game for us to win to advance. It might be vs NYY as TB wins the division.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I think its a big problem but most informed fans don't realistically expect them to do better than 3rd or 4th place this year.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

That's what I love, true, unfettered negativism.

I've always been misinformed.  I always expect to finish first, with a clar target on the wild card.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Maybe we should just let our starters go 4 innings or 30 pitches, whichever comes first.  Then they will really be ready for October.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]That's why I was for trading for Gavin Floyd and improving the rotation and pen in one move. We'd go from having a "shallow staff" to a solid 12 in my book. Trade Middlebrooks, Anderson, and Bowden for Gavin Floyd. This would be our solid 12: 5 Starters: Beckett, Lester, Buchholtz, Floyd, & Doubront (Dice-K) 6 Relief:     Bailey, Bard, Melancon, Aceves, Morales, Albers 12th man reliever:  Doubront (when Dice-K returns), Tazawa, Miller, Padilla, Cook, Atchison, Wilson, Mathis, Carlson, R. Hill, Jenks, Ohlendorf, Carpenter, Germano, & Maine

How do you know the W-Sox want these guys for Floyd? Also, you consider Doubront/Dice-K solid? Despite the fact that Dice-K has some comeback-up side, this seems like wishful thinking.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

moon still lives under false assumptions, as in we get what we want and for what we want.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Question doesn't Floyd still pitch for the White Sox? All reports I've read is that, though he's available for the right deal. Not sure a package of 3 minor leaguers is enough for the White Sox to move a very valuable asset. While I support the concept of aquiring him. Not sure that a package of 3 B level prospects will getter dun. Middlebrooks although he's highly regarded has yet to prove that he can hit above AA at an advanded age no less...The luster has worn of both Anderson and Bowden. Who both are complimentary pieces at best and neither has shown enough to warrant interest from another team. Unless they're looking to add depth to their AAA roster?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem : Question doesn't Floyd still pitch for the White Sox? All reports I've read is that, though he's available for the right deal. Not sure a package of 3 minor leaguers is enough for the White Sox to move a very valuable asset. While I support the concept of aquiring him. Not sure that a package of 3 B level prospects will getter dun. Middlebrooks although he's highly regarded has yet to prove that he can hit above AA at an advanded age no less...The luster has worn of both Anderson and Bowden. Who both are complimentary pieces at best and neither has shown enough to warrant interest from another team. Unless they're looking to add depth to their AAA roster?
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Nobody trades a MLB starter to "add depth to their AAA roster".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem : Nobody trades a MLB starter to "add depth to their AAA roster".
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

They might if it's a salary dump.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Report: Sox Shallow Staff A Problem :  Not sure a package of 3 minor leaguers is enough for the White Sox to move a very valuable asset. While I support the concept of aquiring him. Not sure that a package of 3 B level prospects will getter dun. Middlebrooks although he's highly regarded has yet to prove that he can hit above AA at an advanded age no less...The luster has worn of both Anderson and Bowden. Who both are complimentary pieces at best and neither has shown enough to warrant interest from another team. Unless they're looking to add depth to their AAA roster?
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    Wow, those are three guys whose value has dropped a lot recently.

Over the winter there was a lot of talk here about trading Youk because Middlebrooks was ready to play. 

Prior to the Agon trade Anderson was touted as the 1st baseman of the future and there was talk of moving Youk to 3rd just to make room for him.

And as recently as this spring Bowden was being mentioned as someone who could fill roles in the BP. 

Now all three of these guys only value is to "add depth to a AAA roster"?