Explosions at Boston Marathon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: Explosions at Boston Marathon

In response to BaddBrains' comment:

Why do you need to keep saying that you are an atheist, like Bill Maher, and like NASCAR, Video Games, WWF, comic books, and old TV shows from 50 years ago? Who cares?  Are you capable of writing a paragraph?

Your name says it all....

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to BaddBrains's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Why is this forum loaded with Obama haters?  What do so many ignore the need for gun control. The US population was in favor of stricter background checks  ( 80-90 %) on purchasing a weapon that can kill 50 little children in thirty seconds. Yet you can still buy such a weapon at Walmart without a serious background check now. Shame on your elected US senators and congressman. Why doesn't BDC Softlaw ever talk about gun control? Why doesn't anyone else. Yet BDC keeps Softlaw here and all of his inflamatory political posts?  Answer - the Almighy Dollar. Why in Hell does BDC allow allow Softlaw to preach his nonsense here, this is not a political  forum but yet they will not ban him anymore like they used to..  He is here on the Boston Marathon threads also preaching his hatred and ignorance. Wake up posters, this is your forum and not Softlaw's.

I don't own a gun but do we now need a new law to control the sale of pressure cookers?

How many people get killed by pressure cookers exploding? There is 1.2 guns for every person in the US. Try to be a bit logical.

I am not a gun advocate. Hardly.

I think that a lot of personal/family tragedies are caused by unsecured guns in the home, particularly children.

But the bottom line with me is if this law that went down was if in effect it would not have prevented Sandy Hook.

Directed at private owners with rifles.

Criminals with illegal handguns are causing most of the deaths by firearms.

They don't follow these laws.

We need sweeping new reforms in dealing with the mentally unbalanced in this country much more than new gun laws restricting ammo and magazines directed at hunters and private owners.

Btw who is being illogical here. Click on the link.

GALLUP: Only 4% of Americans Think Gun Control Important Problem...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

I don't hate obama, I hate what he is doing to my country.

Stop the violence in the media, movies, music, tv and video games.  Parents take the time to teach your kids right from wrong.  We removed prayer from schools and replaced it with metal detectors.  We are a nation of moral relativisim.  We kill the preborn and some states support so called mercy killing.  We don't respect life, we teach violence so why should we be suprised that we are a violent nation.

Gun controll will not stop the madness, we as a society have to stop it.

My son was at virginia tech at the time of the shooting.  It was a terrible time for our family but I'm against takeing away gun rights.  Mental health laws are a joke in the state of Virginia.  Cho was mentaly ill and needed help but in Virginia  a person can not be made to take medication or get help unless they hurt themselves or threaten others.  We need to change our mental health laws not take away peoples right to own a gun.

Things are not as cut and dry as you make them

Your son went to Tech? So did I ... you raised him right! You're  absolutely right about mental health laws, and it's also a good reason why we need background checks. I recognize they won't eliminated all  gun-related violence -- no law is 100 percent effective. But even if it prevents one fatality, it's worth it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Well Liberal or Conservative I am not.... hunting game is one thing.... there is ZERO reason for anyone to have a weapon that is more than a 12-gauge shot-gun. That is just COMMON $(%)$)#$# SENSE!

To you yes.

Go out west meet the folks out there.

Guns, are for hunting shooting and collecting.

Guns are a hobby, some people follow baseball some people collect and shoot guns.

A way of life, people are much more into the outdoors too.

These people are hardworking salt of the earth taxpayers.

Then there are those who want guns in their homes to protect their families against home invaders.

Myself? I never owned as much as a bee bee gun but understand both sides of the argument.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I recognize they won't eliminated all gun-related violence -- no law is 100 percent effective. But even if it prevents one fatality, it's worth it.

They will eliminate zero gun-related violence because any person who wants to inflict gun violence can easily get a gun, legally or illegally, via purchase legally or illegally, "borrowing" or theft.

Guns aren't the problem, anymore than someone who drives a car into a crowd of people is the problem.

If more people had guns, there would be less fatalities from gun use.

When you sit in a public place and pretend that Obama has made you safer from guns by virtue of federal regulations, you will be the same guy praying on your hands and knees that someone else has a gun to stop some felon from shooting into a crowd of people.

Pressue cookers, not guns, caused fatalities. Now, are you so stpuid that you think household products should require a background check. That's not a question.

Take a look at today's society for a clue on why the media financially deights in another mass murder tragedy. Actually take a look at the culture, instead of childishly looking for background checks for the purchase of motor vehicles, farm and household products.

I'll tell you who never received a background check, Bill Ayers.

Yet again, you are argumentative in a thread that was meant to be sympathetic.

And yet again, you are flat wrong. Over the past 20+ yrs, Australia, Japan, China, Russia, Canada, Greece, Spain, & Scotland passed strict gun control measures after mass tragedies due to guns. The result? NONE of these countries has had a repeat incident.

Another glaring number: The developed countries in the world have AVERAGED approximately 30 gun fatalities each year. This country? About 30K.

Your ideology has changed your bright disposition to one of gloom, darkness, excuses, & misguided opinions. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

I recognize they won't eliminated all gun-related violence -- no law is 100 percent effective. But even if it prevents one fatality, it's worth it.

They will eliminate zero gun-related violence because any person who wants to inflict gun violence can easily get a gun, legally or illegally, via purchase legally or illegally, "borrowing" or theft.

Guns aren't the problem, anymore than someone who drives a car into a crowd of people is the problem.

When you sit in a public place and pretend that Obama has made you safer from guns by virtue of federal regulations, you will be the same guy praying on your hands and knees that someone else has a gun to stop some felon from shooting into a crowd of people.

Pressue cookers, not guns, caused fatalities. Now, are you so stpuid that you think household products should require a background check. That's not a question.

Take a look at today's society for a clue on why the media financially deights in another mass murder tragedy. Actually take a look at the culture, instead of childishly looking for background checks for the purchase of motor vehicles, farm and household products.

And yet again, you are flat wrong. Over the past 20+ yrs, Australia, Japan, China, Russia, Canada, Greece, Spain, & Scotland passed strict gun control measures after mass tragedies due to guns. The result? NONE of these countries has had a repeat incident.

Another glaring number: The developed countries in the world have AVERAGED approximately 30 gun fatalities each year. This country? About 30K.

Your ideology has steered your brilliant disposition to one of gloom, darkness, excuses, & misguided opinions.

Again. The law that was voted down in Congress yesterday would not have prevented Sandy Hook.

Of course your numbers include suicide as well as homicide.

How about murders commited with clubs, blunt instruments and knives?

The most by guns were illegal handguns not rifles.

Which is why so many folks want guns for protection.

What we need more than anything is an absolute overhaul of mental health laws.

Recent mass murders have all been commited by mentally unbalanced folks not law abiding gun owners.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to ddimaria's comment:

All I can do is say thank god BDC reintroduced the ignore button.  Once again Softlaw and Bill inject politics in a thread.  They both disgust me to no end.. I don't know either from a hole in the wall but as a fellow veteran I am even more disgusted by Bill-806.  

"Recreation place violence"  !!!    BTW,   hows things going out there in FORT HOOD ?????

People have harped on you in the past for making everything political Bill... this crosses the line and I once again reported you.. they will probably do nothing about it but I am sick sick sick of reading your drivel.  It is in appropriate and unnecessary...

I hope no one on these boards ever have to experience a loss like that which occured yesterday.  I am not a religious person but I hope and pray that they find the person responsible for this.. whether it be foreign or domestic I could care less... as long as we do not have to share the air on this Earth with them for much longer...

As Dad would say, Bill-806 you disappoint me over and over and I am disgusted to call you 'son'. 

Stop right there with that kind of talk....  Politics ????  No one is talking POLITICS here, we are talking facts as they are related to yesterdays despicable events...... My GOSH, how else can you lay out to America the events and the continued ramifications....  Our land is not as safe today as it was the 8 years after 9/11.......  You may not like my delivery, but there is no "sugar coating" coming from here.......  Anyone out there today that thinks it's business as usual is sadly mistaken...... BTW, we are in this place today because as the speaches from the top all the way down to Mennino end, the plot goes on to destroy the  U S A  !!!

Why is our land not as safe as it was for 8 years after 9/11?

SPACE, You know why, no need to "SPLAIN"  !!

why? because the president is black? quit hiding your racism behind ricky ricardo, RUBE.

I don't like obama because he is a secular progressive who wants one world governance with no one country being more powerful than another.

I don't like obama because he is taking away my religious freedom.

I don't like obama because we give about half our earnings to the feds so that they can waste it on things like turtle tunnels.

I don't like obama because I don't like how he is fundamentaly changing America.

I don't like obama for a host of reasons.  For you to say that people don't like obama because of the color of his skin is beyond rational understanding.

I don't like reid, pelosi or biden.  I guess that means I don't like white men and women.

Please use your God given brains before you make such an off the wall statement.

All I can say is that your husband is one lucky son of a gun lady. That was one really great post and it really speaks volumns of what kind of a person you are. rock on! Smile

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Recent mass murders have all been commited by mentally unbalanced folks not law abiding gun owners.

Precisely why we need expanded background checks for starters. You're right, it wouldn't have prevented Sandy Hook because the murderer took the guns from his mother, who as far as I know had bought them legally. But it might have prevented Virginia Tech and Columbine. At the very least, it would prevent at least a small percentage of the thousands of firearm-related murders committed in the U.S. every year.

But more is needed. I'm not a gun owner, but if I were, I would have no problem with (a) background checks, (b) safety tests required before purchase, and (c) a national registry. None of that violates the intent or spirit of the Second Amendment.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Gallup: Only 4% of Americans Think Gun Control is an Important Problem

April 16, 2013
    By Michael James
    (CNSNews.com) – Only 4 percent of Americans think guns and gun control are an important problem facing the country, according to Gallup, and far more Americans are concerned about the economy, unemployment and the federal debt.

In its poll from Apr. 4-7, Gallup surveyed 1,005 adults by telephone and asked, “What do you think is the most important problem facing the country today?”

Respondents answered in the following order:

Economy in general 24%

Unemployment/Jobs 18%

Dissatisfaction with Government 16%

Federal budget deficit/Federal debt 11%

Healthcare 6%

Ethical/Moral/Family decline 5%

Immigration/Illegal aliens 4%

Education 4%

Guns/Gun control 4%

Situation with North Korea 4%

Lack of Money 3%

Welfare 2%

Lack of respect for each other 2%

Poverty/Hunger/Homelessness 2%

Foreign aid/Focus overseas 2%

Taxes 2%

Despite the Obama administration’s strong push for more gun control legislation, few Americans are concerned about the issue.

As Gallup reports, “Few Americans mention guns or immigration as the most important problems facing the nation today, despite the current attention lawmakers in Washington are giving to these issues. The economy still dominates as the top concern, followed by jobs and dissatisfaction with the general way in which Congress and the government work.”

These data “underscore the prominence of economic issues in Americans’ minds,” said Gallup.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Recent mass murders have all been commited by mentally unstable folks not law abiding gun owners.

Precisely why we need expanded background checks for starters. You're right, it wouldn't have prevented Sandy Hook because the murderer took the guns from his mother, who as far as I know had bought them legally. But it might have prevented Virginia Tech and Columbine. At the very least, it would prevent at least a small percentage of the thousands of firearm-related murders committed in the U.S. every year.

But more is needed. I'm not a gun owner, but if I were, I would have no problem with (a) background checks, (b) safety tests required before purchase, and (c) a national registry. None of that violates the intent or spirit of the Second Amendment.

But wouldn't an absolute review and overhaul of the existing mental health system and laws deal with these issues?

Focusing on these unbalanced folks commiting the crimes?

Restricting gun rights doesn't deal with crimes commited by illegal handguns in the hands of criminals either.

I see a threefold problem with guns in America.

1) Crimes committed by those possessing illegal hand gun who btw ignore any laws on the books.

2) Crimes committed by the mentally folks who are being influenced to commit these crimes by a number of things going on in our society unchecked.

3) Home tragedies caused by unsecure weapons in the home.

Might also add that the unbalanced are committing more crimes with knives, clubs and blunt instruments than with guns.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I have repetitively changed/edited my last post to read "unsecure weapons in the home" rather than "insecure".

I don't know how many times I have to edit and enter a post befor edit actually is accepted.

Quite a few it seems.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

April 16, 2013
    By Michael James
    (CNSNews.com) – Only 4 percent of Americans think guns and gun control are an important problem facing the country, according to Gallup, and far more Americans are concerned about the economy, unemployment and the federal debt.

In its poll from Apr. 4-7, Gallup surveyed 1,005 adults by telephone and asked, “What do you think is the most important problem facing the country today?”

Economy in general 24%

Unemployment/Jobs 18%

Healthcare 6%

Education 4%

Guns/Gun control 4%

Lack of Money 3%

Welfare 2%

Taxes 2%

Despite the Obama administration’s strong push for more gun control legislation, few Americans are concerned about the issue.

As Gallup reports, “Few Americans mention guns or immigration as the most important problems facing the nation today, despite the current attention lawmakers in Washington are giving to these issues. The economy still dominates as the top concern, followed by jobs and dissatisfaction with the general way in which Congress and the government work.”

These data “underscore the prominence of economic issues in Americans’ minds,” said Gallup.

Another survey says that 80 percent of Republicans and 90 percent of Democrats wanted stiffer background checks on the purchase of guns.

The Senators failed but 54 percent of them wanted better background checks. The House also had a high percentage of concerned legislators.

Your survey gave respondents a long laundry list which rendered it to be virtually useless. I imagine one surveyed person thought that the biggest issue was not being able to find a good Havanna cigar for sale at the local convenience store.

What survey would that be pike?

Obama, Bloomberg and the left quite upset that they cannot shove their agenda down our throats like they would like.

This is not a monarchy.

Thank God.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

But wouldn't an absolute review and overhaul of the existing mental health system and laws deal with these issues?

Focusing on these unbalanced folks commiting the crimes?

Restricting gun rights doesn't deal with crimes commited by illegal handguns in the hands of criminals either.

I see a threefold problem with guns in America.

1) Crimes committed by those possessing illegal hand gun who btw ignore any laws on the books.

2) Crimes committed by the mentally folks who are being influenced to commit these crimes by a number of things going on in our society unchecked.

3) Home tragedies caused by unsecure weapons in the home.

Might also add that the unbalanced are committing more crimes with knives, clubs and blunt instruments than with guns.

I don't see how it would without also having the background checks. Also, the only rights I want to restrict are those who are mentally unbalanced and/or criminals.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Your ideology has steered your brilliant disposition to one of gloom, darkness, excuses, & misguided opinions.

Again. The law that was voted down in Congress yesterday would not have prevented Sandy Hook.

Sounds like you read the excuses by the bought members of Congress that voted No, defying 84% of the population. And the suicide component is even a more persuasive reason. Some one very upset can easily take their own life if they own firearms when perhaps they shouldn't. 

While those watered down, yet common sense measures would not have mattered much, it would have been a start. To repeat; those countries mentioned above that passed stricter measures have had NO subsequent mass killing incidents due to firearms.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Sounds like you read the excuses by the bought members of Congress that voted No, defying 84% of the population. And the suicide component is even a more persuasive reason. Some one very upset can easily take their own life if they own firearms when perhaps they shouldn't. 

84%?

Where did that number come from?

Seems to be the politicians are listening to their base as reflected in the gallup poll.

That they are even focusing on this issue could be why Congress has such low poll numbers.

Because it is important to you, Chris Mathews, Obama, Bloomberg and the left and the media doesn't mean that it is to the rest of  the country.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

+1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

MLB Pitcher: Obama's out for our guns...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

April 16, 2013
    By Michael James

Economy in general 24%

Unemployment/Jobs 18%

Healthcare 6%

Education 4%

Guns/Gun control 4%

Lack of Money 3%

Welfare 2%

Taxes 2%

Another survey says that 80 percent of Republicans and 90 percent of Democrats wanted stiffer background checks on the purchase of guns.

The Senators failed but 54 percent of them wanted better background checks. The House also had a high percentage of concerned legislators.

Your survey gave respondents a long laundry list which rendered it to be virtually useless. I imagine one surveyed person thought that the biggest issue was not being able to find a good Havanna cigar for sale at the local convenience store.

What survey would that be pike?

Obama, Bloomberg and the left quite upset that they cannot shove their agenda down our throats like they would like.

This is not a monarchy.

Thank God.

Your right; its an oligarchy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

84%?

Where did that number come from?

Seems to be the politicians are listening to their base as reflected in the gallup poll.

That they are even focusing on this issue could be why Congress has such low poll numbers.

Because it is important to you, Chris Mathews, Obama, Bloomberg and the left and the media doesn't mean that it is to the rest of  the country.

I got it from the Washington Post. As far as the rest of the country is concerned, you're in denial; just like you were on Election Day.