Extenstion talks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Extenstion talks

The Sox are talking to pedroia about locking him up for the rest of his career in Boston. They also mentioned Will Middlebrooks and Jon Lester...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/red-sox-plan-extension-talks-with-dustin-pedroia.html

Cherrington is looking to have a core of players for the forseeable future. Good move.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Extenstion talks

This is not the first time I have heard "extension" and "Middlebrooks" in the same sentence.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is not the first time I have heard "extension" and "Middlebrooks" in the same sentence.

[/QUOTE]

Thats not to say he cant be involved in a deal later on, but they seem to like him enough to want to lock him up to avoid any possible arb case.

I agree that they need to have a core of players in place for a number of years to be successful for the long haul.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Pedey will get north of 12m per. probably extend WMB to 30 with a 6 yr deal. If Lester returns to form in 2013 he is absolutely worth more than his option year pay of 13M.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to toccooa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They already extended Lester, once. Unlike Beckett now is a good time to offer Lester a 2 year extension at base 10. Anymore than that will be a mistake. He has no market beyond that, coming off 2012, and if he waits another season until FA he risks the career type pitcher injury that could cost him a bundle. Chasing another 2 or 3 years in the market would not be wise in the new MLB economy and market.

Middlebrooks extension offer should take him to age 32, which would allow for a very low base in exchange for overpaying the control and arbitration years and paying guaranteed money through an age that injury or other career confidence destroyers could derail. The Red Sox should offer a signing bonus of 3 million and a 7 or 8 year deal at base 8 and be done with it. No way he turns down 50 million plus guaranteed and waits until FA. Injury is a risk that must taken with younger elite talents like Middlebrooks. I said he should have started the season with the Boston Red Sox. He has a wonderful baseball that has smooth tempo that generates the most efficient power platform.

Pedroia's deal goes through age 31. They should ovver an extension of 3 years @ base 8. That takes him to age 34. Pedroia's a fine player but it's unlikely that he'll have a market value beyond age 34 that the Red Sox could not take care of year to year if he doesn't wash up by 34. He's not DH material, that's for sure.

[/QUOTE]

You're living in a fantasy world.

10 per for Lester? Laughable. Simply laughable. On the open market, he'd easily get 4/60 right now.

8 for Pedroia! Seriously? I don't even understand where you come up with that absurdly low number.

After the team just handed 26-30 million to Ortiz, for his 37 and 38 year old seasons...you expect either of those above guys to accept what you outline? Why would they?

Pitching, on the open market, runs about 1 million per win. Lester is a 15 win pitcher. A player with Pedroia's history of production, and willingness to play hurt would get a team to pay him significant money for a 3 year period. Cody flipping Ross is about to get 8-9 per, at 32, for 2-3 years. Pedroia isn't more valuable than him?

Is your desire to alienate the core players? If so...carry on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Middlebrooks-5/$25 with additional 2-3 years with options. 

Pedroia-4/$60 or 5/$75

Lester-pitching is getting awfully expensive, even for mediocrity. Seems it will take 6/$100 to extend Lester.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox are talking to pedroia about locking him up for the rest of his career in Boston. They also mentioned Will Middlebrooks and Jon Lester...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/red-sox-plan-extension-talks-with-dustin-pedroia.html

Cherrington is looking to have a core of players for the forseeable future. Good move.

[/QUOTE]

An excellent move, Southpaw.

Directing some of the saved payroll from this past summer's trade, towards locking up a core group of players for the future, is smart.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

An excellent move, Southpaw.

Directing some of the saved payroll from this past summer's trade, towards locking up a core group of players for the future, is smart.

[/QUOTE]

And if Softlaw "negotiated" their contracts,  he'd convince them all to sign at 60% discounts across the board. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to toccooa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They already extended Lester, once. Unlike Beckett now is a good time to offer Lester a 2 year extension at base 10. Anymore than that will be a mistake. He has no market beyond that, coming off 2012, and if he waits another season until FA he risks the career type pitcher injury that could cost him a bundle. Chasing another 2 or 3 years in the market would not be wise in the new MLB economy and market.

Middlebrooks extension offer should take him to age 32, which would allow for a very low base in exchange for overpaying the control and arbitration years and paying guaranteed money through an age that injury or other career confidence destroyers could derail. The Red Sox should offer a signing bonus of 3 million and a 7 or 8 year deal at base 8 and be done with it. No way he turns down 50 million plus guaranteed and waits until FA. Injury is a risk that must taken with younger elite talents like Middlebrooks. I said he should have started the season with the Boston Red Sox. He has a wonderful baseball that has smooth tempo that generates the most efficient power platform.

Pedroia's deal goes through age 31. They should ovver an extension of 3 years @ base 8. That takes him to age 34. Pedroia's a fine player but it's unlikely that he'll have a market value beyond age 34 that the Red Sox could not take care of year to year if he doesn't wash up by 34. He's not DH material, that's for sure.

[/QUOTE]

"Me!  Me!  Pay attention to me!  I'm Softlaw!  I can't get laid, so I make assinine comments to attract attention to myself!  Me, me, pay attention to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  [If you are a hot, young male, I'm ready and waiting on 1-800-strapme]"

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Me!  Me!  Pay attention to me!  I'm Softlaw!  I can't get laid, so I make assinine comments to attract attention to myself!  Me, me, pay attention to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  [If you are a hot, young male, I'm ready and waiting on 1-800-strapme]"

Folks, take a look at the above comment of hysteria. He's simply projecting his own frustrations. The 1-800 quip is quite revealing.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, "strapme" is the phone number a girl gave me at Spit (Lansdowne Street club) around 1987.  It was really her home phone number spelled out.  The details will not be shared here.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

Just as I thought, real or contrived, a manifest disturbed mind who needs to call 1-800-NEEDHELP

[/QUOTE]

You must be the squarest guy in the South if you think that's bad in some way.  Are you really a lawyer or do you have some sort of missionary position?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Pedey will get north of 12m per. probably extend WMB to 30 with a 6 yr deal. If Lester returns to form in 2013 he is absolutely worth more than his option year pay of 13M.

25 million and 3 years should be the limit of Pedroia's extension, wrapped around the current deal which fully vested ends in 2015. The leverage on the option is with ownership, so there is no need to pay base 12 on an extension that takes place that many years down the road. Only an incompetent would think base 12 is a deal breaker. If that came from the agent, he's bluffing and his client will correctly cave in due to injury and accident risk.

You are incompetent. That's the entire point of offering the 2 year extension at base 10, now. Starting pitchers are the most likely to become dead assets, and Lester is nothing more than a 2nd rate pitcher. There are frew first rate pitchers in MLB. Since the Red Sox hold an option, Lester will also cave in to a 2 year extension wrapped as an amendment to this year and vesting the option for next year. The amended contract with extention offer would be added the outstanding 25 million left through the option in 2014. The new deal with extension would be 45 million and take him through age 32. He'll also cave in and sign it due to injury and accident founded fears. If he foolishly declines and tries to shoot the moon at the end of 2014, the Red Sox should spend the money elsewhere.

Middlebrooks should be extended through age 32 at base 8. The Obama printing scads of money supply exploding paper money inflation that's getting ready to make his electorate rue the day will marginalize the cost of that deal. If the evaluation is to go long on Middlebrooks, going shorter than age 32 makes zero sense for a talented 3B position player who is a perfect fit for the Boston market.  

[/QUOTE]

Thank you again for the laughs softhead...

Lester has absolutely no injury history. This makes no sense whatsoever...Like most of your rants.

Saying these guys will cave is absurd. As if no other team would want them on their team for TRUE market value, not YOUR idea of what player are worth.

Would you like to make a wager on whos contract salary is closest to what Pedey gets?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah? Ben has his priorities mixed up. Fix the team first, then worry about contract extensions.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah? Ben has his priorities mixed up. Fix the team first, then worry about contract extensions.

[/QUOTE]

No reason he cant do both...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Isn't it funny how some people look at a nice little acquisition like David Ross and can only b1tch and moan that we have other, bigger priorities?  Such linear thinking is so pathetic, you have to wonder what they do for a day job.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Isn't it funny how some people look at a nice little acquisition like David Ross and can only b1tch and moan that we have other, bigger priorities?  Such linear thinking is so pathetic, you have to wonder what they do for a day job.....

[/QUOTE]

complaining on sports chatboards?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

complaining on sports chatboards?

[/QUOTE]

Who'd a thunk it?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I doubt they're able to hold a job and post here at the same time.

That would require doing multiple things at once.

Something they can't conceive of.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I doubt they're able to hold a job and post here at the same time.

That would require doing multiple things at once.

Something they can't conceive of.

[/QUOTE]

very true 4B. thats probably why they dont think they can work on an extension for pedey AND build the team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Yeah, exactly Pedroia is signed for two more years as is Lester, can I ask a stupid question? What is the rush when the tem has so many other needs.  Am I missing something here or does Young Ben have his priorities screwed up.