Facre Bleu

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Facre Bleu

Facre Bleu

Faker Blue

What gives with the full house in the Trop during the ALDS?  All of a SUDDEN they are screaming mass of wall to wall sky blue …

In spite of being in the playoffs two out of three seasons and being at or near the top of the ALE for the last four, the fans reward the Rays with a scenario that is dead last in the major league in home attendance, 18,645 in average.  Basically, just over half of the Trop being filled a night (54.7%).   And we know that a goodly number of those games have large visiting team fan support; i.e. when the Sox or Yanquis come calling.  There were six other teams with a lower percentage of capacity, but even Houston and Miami had more in house each night, by average.  (Uh, two of the worst teams …)

By comparison, the Sox had a 96.4% capacity at home, with 34,979 average attendance.  I know there has been that fabled and controversial sellout streak here, but this is a more honest number.  Heck, we have more hecklers and haters than the Rays have fans.  (Not a good thing, either)

Just as an aside, here’s a link to an article that mirror my feelings….

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/2142497/tampa-native-cash-trop-attendance-joke

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Re: Facre Bleu

The problem with Fla baseball is so much of the population has moved there from somewhere else and just won't switch allegiances, on a par with switching religions, me thinks. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In fairness to Rays fans, The Trop, minus the great baseball being played there, is a terrible place to spend 3 hours.  It is actually a momnumental feat:  to make baseball a bad night.  Three Rivers couldn't do it.  The Vet couldn't do it.  Trop almost pulls it off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

The problem with Fla baseball is so much of the population has moved there from somewhere else and just won't switch allegiances, on a par with switching religions, me thinks. 

yeah thats what I was thinking

what R the odds of someone growing up in NE having a dad that was a sox fan

what R the odds of  someone growing up in FLA having a dad that was a rays fan

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to youkillus' comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yeah thats what I was thinking

what R the odds of someone growing up in NE having a dad that was a sox fan

what R the odds of  someone growing up in FLA having a dad that was a rays fan

[/QUOTE]

Sorry I don't buy it...

The Miami Heat sellout every game, so do the Magic in Orlnado when they're winning games...the Buccaneers, Jaguars and Dolphins fill thier stadiums when they're winning too. Florida has for the better part of a century been the host state for MLB spring training...So MLB baseball has had the deepest roots of any of the major professional sport in the region. 

So perhaps the issue in Tampa has more to do with where the park is located in relationship to it's consumer, not the park itself. The model today is incumbent on capturing the casual fan, not the ardent baseball fan that shows up regardless of the teams fortunes nor the gauntlet of navigating highways and byways to pay to watch their hometown nine. The park itself is part of the attraction, winning is the draw. if you sell hamburgers it's probably not a good idea to open a joint in a vegan neighborhood..

The Marlins are a completely different dynamic, there owner frankly should have been forced to sell the team. 

Here in Seattle not exactly a bastion of baseball history. the Mariners built a new ball park with all of the amenities nessesary to keep the casual fan interested during a game where the score is 2 to 1 a park that is minutes from the heart of the city with public transportation and two highways with exits where you can almost get out of your car and sit in your seat. during the early part of the century they were a legit playoff contender and they sold out 48000 seats every night for the better part of  4 or 5 seasons...then the wheels came off they hit the skids lost 100 games and have strugglec to put a product on the field and in the process the casual fan lost interest...today they average around 20 thousand. still well above the 6 or 7 they averaged in the Kingdome...

Win and the casual fan gets interested, win and make coming to the game an event and the casual fan stays interested. when the casual fan gets interested local corporate support opens their checkbooks. Win, sellout games by attracting the casual fan and TV rating soar...the value of having broadcast rights for the networks increase and the net result is a profitable business model...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

FOR THE LAST TIME IT IS NOT THE STADIUM. AND IT IS NOT REALLY THAT BAD IMHO.

IT IS THE AMBIVALENT FEELINGS TOWARD BASEBALL IN FLORIDA. FLORIDA IS COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAIN AND SIMPLE. EVEN PRO FOOTBALL DOES NOT SELL OUT THE 3 IN FL ARE IN THE BOTTOM 5 OF ATTENDANCE. FEW IN FLORIDA WEAR PRO SPORTS STUFF THEY ALL WEAR COLLEGE FOOTBALL STUFF.

MOVING THE RAYS FROM THE TROP/ST PETE TO TAMPA WILL NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. LOOK AT MIAMI A GREAT BEAUTIFUL STADIUM AND STILL NO ONE GOES.

THERE IS ONLY ONE CITY IN FLORIDA THAT COULD FOLLOW A TEAM. THAT IS ORLANDO. BESIDES THE POPULATION 2.7 MIL METRO THEY HAVE OVER 50 MILLION VISITORS MANY FROM THE NORTH BASEBALL CITIES EVERY YEAR.

Florida has for the better part of a century been the host state for MLB spring training...

Why because the folks from up north come to Fl and those already here go to their teams ST. The best reason to have Orlando have the Rays or Marlins.  BTW St in Florida is relatively  cheap for the teams as is Az, and the weather

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

greetings BT

good points as usual,

while it makes a point

I'm not sure how much merit there is in comparing BB to other sports

I was comparing BB to BB

to suggest it's mostly about the winning that brings  attendence

would be kind of  ironic because it's the rays, who do win, who  we are talking about

I really think a big part of it

perhaps even more than winning is having the name brands

it's the names brands that gets the kids to tell dad I want to go see ____

yanks drew pretty good durring the late 90's

but never drew 4 mill still they got mr namebrand himself arod

I'm sure we can all agree it's not just 1 thing

and while you saying the nice stadium draws fans has merit

but  JimfromFlorida has a point too ( see miami)

you mentioned the '' casual fan'' a few times

I started a thread about whether we should care about them or not

it was called silly and died

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/just-1-question/100/6839481