Felix Hernandez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Felix Hernandez

Every year everyone says we should go after this guy, but please can everyone take a simple reality check; this is no video game. The Mariners would never let this guy go. He' turning 26 this year- he's not some aging veteran. I understand it would be very plausible to dump the farm for this guy, but it will simply never happen, at least not 3,2 or even a year ago. Maybe 5 years down the road if they still aren't contenders, but not now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Felix Hernandez

While I agree that there should be a moratorium on threads about a knig Felix trade, I am not sure the possibility is as remote as you make it.  Seattle will only hold on to him if they think they can afford his re-up, which is going to be beaucoup bucks, most likely bigger bucks than the mariners can afford.  So, if they come to that conclusion, it is in their best interest to get some blue chips in return rather than let him walk and get nothing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

But after his arb years, he would certainly command $20MM or more.  And Mariners' recent stats are telling us they won't be contending anytime soon.  If that continues, Mariners will start listening eventually and they can get 3 or 4 top prospects whom are major league ready, they are not going to have many choices. 

If your team wins 60-70 games every year and your ace wants more than $20MM for next 5 or 6 yrs... What would you do?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Hernandez is already signed through 2014 averaging 19 million per over next 3 years with a limited no trade

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Felix Hernandez:
    [QUOTE]But after his arb years, he would certainly command $20MM or more.  And Mariners' recent stats are telling us they won't be contending anytime soon.  If that continues, Mariners will start listening eventually and they can get 3 or 4 top prospects whom are major league ready, they are not going to have many choices.  If your team wins 60-70 games every year and your ace wants more than $20MM for next 5 or 6 yrs... What would you do?
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]
    Felix Hernandez, who has 6+ years of MLB service, has already entered his post-arbitration years with a contract extension that pays him $18.5 million in 2012, $19.5 million in 2013 and $20 million in 2014.

I doubt there is one team (certainly not the Red Sox) with three or four top prospects who are MLB ready. Prospects are like lottery tickets ... usually you lose, but on a rare occasion you win big. There is a reason why lottery commercials warn that the lottery should not be played for investment purposes.

Felix Hernandez, on the other hand, represents a safe, conservative investment. And with their nucleus of good, young players* could be competitive before the expiration of the Felix Hernandez contract.

* the Mariners had three players on a recent Top 50 prospect list despite graduating Michael Pineda and Dustin Ackley from the previous year's list and Justin Smoak from the list the year before. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2011/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

How many long term contracts does this board think the Sox can afford?  FO has already said they will not go over the luxury tax line for the new MLB contract. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

[QUOTE]While I agree that there should be a moratorium on threads about a knig Felix trade, I am not sure the possibility is as remote as you make it.  Seattle will only hold on to him if they think they can afford his re-up, which is going to be beaucoup bucks, most likely bigger bucks than the mariners can afford.  So, if they come to that conclusion, it is in their best interest to get some blue chips in return rather than let him walk and get nothing.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

There was a piece on the Seattle Times website earlier this week that the Mariners can opt out of their current TV package in 2015, in other words, the year Hernandez is a free agent.  They can renogtiate a TV deal or create their own TV network.  This can, based on estimates, double their $45 million in regional TV income.  So, by the time Felix is a free agent, they can afford more payroll.  Also, there is talk the Mariners may be up for sale sometime soon.  With an aging majority owner in Japan and the second major owner undergoing a divorce, and the team estimated to be worth as much as $750 million, the team would could keep Felix as a marquee name to a potential buyer.  Couple that with the TV deal possibility and the Mariners, with a wealthy owner, could become major players by the middle of the decade.    So, there are financial reasons not to trade Hernandez at this time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Seattle might consider trading Hernandez if they got the right offer. Unfortunately, they could get a better package of highly rated prospects from other teams that would want him. He is a nice talent no doubt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Felix Hernandez : There was a piece on the Seattle Times website earlier this week that the Mariners can opt out of their current TV package in 2015, in other words, the year Hernandez is a free agent.  They can renogtiate a TV deal or create their own TV network.  This can, based on estimates, double their $45 million in regional TV income.  So, by the time Felix is a free agent, they can afford more payroll.  Also, there is talk the Mariners may be up for sale sometime soon.  With an aging majority owner in Japan and the second major owner undergoing a divorce, and the team estimated to be worth as much as $750 million, the team would could keep Felix as a marquee name to a potential buyer.  Couple that with the TV deal possibility and the Mariners, with a wealthy owner, could become major players by the middle of the decade.    So, there are financial reasons not to trade Hernandez at this time.
    Posted by fizsh[/QUOTE]
    Here is the link to the Seattle Times column:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2017055049_mariners_look_to_be_positionin.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]How many long term contracts does this board think the Sox can afford?  FO has already said they will not go over the luxury tax line for the new MLB contract. 
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

That's not the point.

The point is, someone else has a really good player.  And that situation is simply not tolerable...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I wander how Sox acquired Agon whom I thought was Padres' franchise player.  King Felix's situation can become like Agon's.  It might not.  It's a risky Mariners' front office have to take and there won't be a promise Mariners' will hold onto their franchise player.  Or they just will.  All I'm saying is nothing's impossible. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]I wander how Sox acquired Agon whom I thought was Padres' franchise player.  King Felix's situation can become like Agon's.  It might not.  It's a risky Mariners' front office have to take and there won't be a promise Mariners' will hold onto their franchise player.  Or they just will.  All I'm saying is nothing's impossible. 

You've obviously never tried licking your elbow...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBabeinFL. Show TheBabeinFL's posts

[QUOTE]I wander how Sox acquired Agon whom I thought was Padres' franchise player.  King Felix's situation can become like Agon's.  It might not.  It's a risky Mariners' front office have to take and there won't be a promise Mariners' will hold onto their franchise player.  Or they just will.  All I'm saying is nothing's impossible. 

There's plenty of other teams that could put together better packages than the sox and their depleted farm system. Completely different situation than agaon as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Never say never! Sometimes money becomes a huge motivating factor or sometimes the best way to become good again is to aquire a boatload of top prospects for a young in his prime No.1 starter. Look no farther than the Bartolo Colon trade a few years back, the Indians got Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, Brandon Philips, and Lee Stevens. Not bad 3 future all stars for a No.1 starter, while most don't work out that well, this did get Cleveland organization back to being a playoff team. I've said for years Seattle can miss the playoffs with King Felix or without, and isn't making playoffs what every teams goal should be, not filling seats every 5th day? With what the Angels and Rangers have done in the West the Mariners need to do something big. Would love RS to package a Buchholz and 2 prospects [Brentz/Vitek- need offense] for a King Felix, Mariners might just go for it. Imagine how much better RS would look with a King Felix atop rotation?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I agree that the Felix Hernandez to the Sox posts are getting old.

If the Red Sox could not put together a package of prospects to get Gio Gonzalez yesterday, they CERTAINLY are not able to put one together for a guy like Hernandez.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Thread Topics that are old:

Felix
    Hanley
    CERA
    Naysaying Cherington
    Wakefield

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Never say never! Sometimes money becomes a huge motivating factor or sometimes the best way to become good again is to aquire a boatload of top prospects for a young in his prime No.1 starter. Look no farther than the Bartolo Colon trade a few years back, the Indians got Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, Brandon Philips, and Lee Stevens. Not bad 3 future all stars for a No.1 starter, while most don't work out that well, this did get Cleveland organization back to being a playoff team. I've said for years Seattle can miss the playoffs with King Felix or without, and isn't making playoffs what every teams goal should be, not filling seats every 5th day? With what the Angels and Rangers have done in the West the Mariners need to do something big. Would love RS to package a Buchholz and 2 prospects [Brentz/Vitek- need offense] for a King Felix, Mariners might just go for it. Imagine how much better RS would look with a King Felix atop rotation?
    Posted by garyhow[/QUOTE]
    And how much weaker the Mariners would look with Clay Buchholz, Bryce Brentz and Kolbrin Vitek ... that package might not land Brandon League and Jason Vargas, who has a higher WAR* than Buchholz over the past two years.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3543&position=P
    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=8044&position=P

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Makes you really appreciate what the Duke did in 1997 in what was the single most important trade in Boston Red Sox history:

Tony Armas, Jr
    Carl "The American Idle" Pavano

for

Pedro Martinez

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It's not that I wouldn't take him, but I think y'all are overrating Felix.  Over the last two years, he is 27-26 with a 2.85 in a great pitcher's park and a great defense.  Buchholz is 23-10 with a 2.70.  Felix is better, particularly for IPs, but if you replace the two sets of stats, two minor leaguers, and not be allowed to sign someone with the $11M extra pay.

We have 3 really good starters.  We need two good, dependable 200 IP starters to back them up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Felix Hernandez : That's not the point. The point is, someone else has a really good player.  And that situation is simply not tolerable...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

That is hilarious!  Got a good chuckle, thanks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

In Response to Felix Hernandez:
    [QUOTE]Every year everyone says we should go after this guy, but please can everyone take a simple reality check; this is no video game. The Mariners would never let this guy go. He' turning 26 this year- he's not some aging veteran. I understand it would be very plausible to dump the farm for this guy, but it will simply never happen, at least not 3,2 or even a year ago. Maybe 5 years down the road if they still aren't contenders, but not now.
    Posted by RedSoxFan2OO4[/QUOTE]

SO one needs to wonder.....  How in need you are of attention that you sould decide to open a thread based on something that you yourself says is nothing but a flight of fancy.  

Why don't you just run for President or try to become a  Miss Universe, or maybe ask Peyton Manning if you can have his love child?   That way you would get the attention such a feeble minded person needs to survive. 

Those of us reading and writing on this forum cannot help someone like you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

now Pavano is referred to as the workhorse of the Twins starters.