First honest report out of spring training

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

First honest report out of spring training

And the news is not good...

Felix Doubront showed up to camp is not good condition, much like 2011. 

I know this might be seen as an over-reaction/knee-jerk reaction by some, but I think the Sox should sign Lohse and trade Doubront before he injures himself, perhaps along with Aceves and Salty for a real LFer or some pitching prospects (you can never have too many).

This is absolutely unacceptable to me by a young pitcher who is trying to establish himself, especially since it seems to be a trend for him.  Trading him now would also send a clear message to all the pitchers.

While I think that Rubby De LaRosa, Webster and Morales provide depth for the rotation, Doubront was penciled in at #5 and Lackey is no guarantee.  The rotation is thin and could use another bona fide starter.  Lohse is the best still out there.  The prospects you might receive in a trade make up for the 2nd round pick you lose (though not the slot money).  Thoughts?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: First honest report out of spring training

In response to parhunter55's comment:

And the news is not good...

Felix Doubront showed up to camp is not good condition, much like 2011. 

I know this might be seen as an over-reaction/knee-jerk reaction by some, but I think the Sox should sign Lohse and trade Doubront before he injures himself, perhaps along with Aceves and Salty for a real LFer or some pitching prospects (you can never have too many).

This is absolutely unacceptable to me by a young pitcher who is trying to establish himself, especially since it seems to be a trend for him.  Trading him now would also send a clear message to all the pitchers.

While I think that Rubby De LaRosa, Webster and Morales provide depth for the rotation, Doubront was penciled in at #5 and Lackey is no guarantee.  The rotation is thin and could use another bona fide starter.  Lohse is the best still out there.  The prospects you might receive in a trade make up for the 2nd round pick you lose (though not the slot money).  Thoughts?

Par, you are either sourcing first-hand reports that I have not been privvy to (in which case, can you point me to them?) or you are taking a wild conjectural leap.  If the latter is the case, I, personally, am inclined to not make judgements about stuff I can only guess at.  At this point, I am inclined to give Felix the benefit of the doubt.  He wouldn;t be the first guy to tweak something on the first days of camp.  And, by all reports, its nothing serious, he'll be back on progression next week, and that is just to be safe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

So it is only an honest report if it is bad? What about the report of Lackey looking fit. Where is your link?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/02/red_sox_trainin_3.html

How precise is the schedule? The bullpen sessions were set for 10:02 a.m., 10:14 a.m. and 10:26 a.m. … Jon Lester said that he believes in leadership by example. He is showing in his actions hustling from station to station and going full speed though the drills. … Felix Doubront reported in poor shape and the staff isn’t happy about it. He had conditioning problems in 2011, too.

i don't think he should be traded over this as long as someone kicks him in the pants and lets him know that this is NOT OK.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Felix didnt make the team in 2011 because of conditioning....looks like he didnt hit the gym hard this winter either....thats OK - we have Junichi to take his place if he doesnt care enough to get in shape..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Felix didnt make the team in 2011 because of conditioning....looks like he didnt hit the gym hard this winter either....thats OK - we have Junichi to take his place if he doesnt care enough to get in shape..

not quite, Morales or aceves would start right now, i don't think Taz is stretched out which is why i think he sould start in AAA so he can get enough innings to stretch out. RDLR could force his way into the mix if he pitches well enough in ST

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Doubrount, according to MLBTR.com, is out of options so he will have to clear waivers or go on the DL to be sent down.

RDLR or Wright or Morales or Aceves will be needed to fill a void fairly early.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Wait.  Please, can someone link me to something that is talking about Doubront being injured??  Why are we talking about this?  Admittedly, the years of rock and roll living have taken their toll on my ability to retain information, but I have heard nothing other than Felix had a little baby tweak and is gonna be back throwing in a couple days.  

Why are we talking about options and waivers and Tazawa?  I mean I fully expect georom to jump to ludicrous negative conclusions, but why is everyone following suit?

Please help.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Wait.  Please, can someone link me to something that is talking about Doubront being injured??  Why are we talking about this?  Admittedly, the years of rock and roll living have taken their toll on my ability to retain information, but I have heard nothing other than Felix had a little baby tweak and is gonna be back throwing in a couple days.  

Why are we talking about options and waivers and Tazawa?  I mean I fully expect georom to jump to ludicrous negative conclusions, but why is everyone following suit?

Please help.

i never said he was injured, But Farrell might take action and demote him to the BP for showing up to camp out of shape, in that case Morales or Aceves would take his spot and not Taz.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

OK, why are we assuming he showed up out of shape?  Because he got hurt?  

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Does anyone have pictures, or a first-hand report?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

Space, you been hitting some of Humboldt county's finest?

read mef's post above.

whether or not i may have hit that humboldt sticky, I read mef's post and found no evidence to the effect of Doubront showing up out of shape.  No quotes from anybody there.  No links to any reports.  and, i cant tell from pictures because, in shape or not, red beans and rice never missed Felix.  I just don't understand why we are jumping to this conclusion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

read mef's post above.

whether or not i may have hit that humboldt sticky, I read mef's post and found no evidence to the effect of Doubront showing up out of shape.  No quotes from anybody there.  No links to any reports.  and, i cant tell from pictures because, in shape or not, red beans and rice never missed Felix.  I just don't understand why we are jumping to this conclusion.

Pretty sure I read the same article, and saw no reference to Doubront either.  i wouldn't be shocked if he was out of shape, but I'm the kind that sort of requires at least a modest amount of documentation before I jump to conclusions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Even IF Doubrant is "out of shape" - and I'd like to see some evidence better than the ST photo a few years back of Beckett's tiny little gut sticking out under his shirt as he released the ball, what BS that photo/phony outrage was - ....exactly why is that such a big deal?

A pitcher should ensure their arm is stretched out, feeling good, etc....their body in good enough shape that they're not going to pull a groin muscle fielding a bunt, or pull a hammy running out a ground ball in an NL park....

....but so what if Luis Tiant, CC Sabathia, Mickey Lolich, etc are carrying a few pounds?  In the words of Johnny Sain "You can't run the ball over the plate".

I'd like to know why that lazy rag doll Tim Lincecum hasn't made an effort to put some muscle on that skinny frame!!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

read mef's post above.

Felix Doubront reported in poor shape and the staff isn’t happy about it. He had conditioning problems in 2011, too.

without seeing him firsthand i will defer to the people who are actually there. Especially if it was acknowledged by the staff.

The extra weight shouldn't effect his ability to throw the ball nor do i attribute his "injury" to his conditioning (or lack thereof) but it does bring into question his determination. The Sox really need him to step up this season and if he doesn't care enough to take care of himself how can we expect him to care about the team?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Mea culpa.  I didn't realize the quote from that Extra Bases bit was a quote.  I thought it was forum conjecture.  OK, assuming the staff really has addressed this, shame on Felix.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

If this report is true, Dubront has shown an extreme lack of judgement not to learn from 2011, when he turned up out of shape.

It also sets up a very interesting spring training, as his place as a stater will be in jepardy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i cant get my head around a young pitcher deciding to not give it his best at this level with so much money at stake...a good starting pitcher will be set for life in just a few short years...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Mea culpa.  I didn't realize the quote from that Extra Bases bit was a quote.  I thought it was forum conjecture.  OK, assuming the staff really has addressed this, shame on Felix.  

no problem space. usually if you see one of my posts with a link in it the paragraph before or after it was copied from said article. i could have been more clear on the matter.

Like i said, his conditioning shouldn't affect his pitching but it does flash some red lights on his work ethic.. especially considering his history

25. This post has been removed.