Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready:
    [QUOTE]So, Sox fans cant get excited about Lavarnaway but Yankee fans can give Granderson and his horrible batting average the MVP for the AL in mid August? Sox bad, Yankees good. Drivel.
    Posted by habsno17[/QUOTE]

First off, Gammons thinks he's the MVP at this point (I still think it's AGon so far myself). He is 1st in Runs Scored (114, the guy whos' 2nd has 90!), 1st in RBIs (largely batting 2nd), 2nd in OPS, and 2nd in Homers. His Horrible BA is .281, and in a 15 team league, only 30 have a higher BA. He also plays a mean CF and is a menace on the basepaths.

Speaking of drivel...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready:
    [QUOTE]Uhhh Posada has a lot to do with Montero. Weren't you paying attention when rumors emerged about the Yankees bringing up Montero to DH?  I repeat they don't need him they have other guys to DH on the team already Besides, isn't the general consensus that Montero is a future 1B/DH, not a catcher? you mean outside of RSN ?
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Hey Zac,
    With all due respect, the luster is begining to wear off Montero status as a top tier catching prospect. His bat profiles as above average for catchers, but just another stick at 1st base. A position where I think you guys are locked into a guy long term (Tex) Also with Arod and Jeter both getting up there, not sure that the Yanks are goona want to commit to tying up a roster spot, and getting Montero 500-600 at bats in the DH spot in the next 3 years...

The problem as I see it, is I don't think the Yankees see him as the catcher of the future, more so the trade chip of the now. Only 21 years old the kid still has time to show that he's ready for the next level...but at some point if a position switch is in the cards, the sooner they do it the better for him...if he swithces to 1st he better rake and be at least servicable at 1b or his value to other teams will be negligable...

I agree the Yank's don't need him now, and frankly they may never need him, but they do need him to maintain his current status to reap the greatest reward if they chose to trade him...which I think is inevitable...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Certainly is off to a good start, good for him and good for the team. Let's hope he keeps it up until Youk and Papi can get back.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Beantowne,

I agree, guys like DMac beginning to hit and Lavarnway are axactly what our team needs during their absence.  It takes an entire team to win a championship so evertone need to do their part.  I was getting worried with the season DMac had been having so its nice to see.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

greetings BT

I agree with most of that

but I still say SPC & boomer were wrong

to knock the 21 yr old for not making the yankees yet

A) they don't need him

B) the list of 21 yr olds to make a 1P nyy team is pretty short

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]greetings BT I agree with most of that but I still say SPC & boomer were wrong to knock the 21 yr old for not making the yankees yet A) they don't need him B) the list of 21 yr olds to make a 1P nyy team is pretty short

Hey Zac,

I agree...how old is Hughes now? cause he might be the only name I can think of that fits the above criteria...

I think that whenever we're talking about prospects both sides tend to dig in and represent thier color's...

Comparing Lavarnway and Montero is an exercise in futility in that aisde from the position the play, both share a simlar profile, solid bats with questionable tools behind the plate and the level in which thier currently competing. What one does, has no bering on the other...

Who's the better prospect? Well that's easy if we use the litteral meaning of the word prospect, based on every preseason ranking i've read, it ain't even close, it's Montero...Who'll be the better ML player...that's still to be determined! Lavarnway's based on age (24) his time is now to show that he's ready to compete at the next level...Montero, still just 21, in his second season of AAA, has two more seasons to continue his development, before his career light starts to blink...

End of the day is if both hit at the big league level as they have in AAA, they'll both have solid big league careers...and in all likilhood, playing for a team other than the one they got drafted by...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]greetings BT I agree with most of that but I still say SPC & boomer were wrong to knock the 21 yr old for not making the yankees yet A) they don't need him B) the list of 21 yr olds to make a 1P nyy team is pretty short

I didn't mean to knock him Zac. He's still a great prospect for sure. My point was that I'd had several discussions about Montero as being SO MUCH BETTER THAN LAVARNWAY THAT IT WASN'T EVEN WORTH DISCUSSING. Many Yankee fans have been raving about Montero and not giving Lavarnway the time of day. Even a lot of Sox fans on soxprospects. The consensus was that Lavarnway would never be able to field the catcher position. Having seen Montero catch a little I don't see him as being any better defensively.

To me, Lavarnway had some obvious intangibles. He has adjusted well and succeeded at every level. College and in the minors. He has a great approach at the plate and is not afraid at all of hitting with 2 strikes. He can hit to RF and he is definitely going to get a lot of practice in that regard because they are not going to throw inside to this guy very much at all. The book on this kid is very much like they did with Pedroia. They are going to make him go opposite field.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Hey Zac, I agree...how old is Hughes now? cause he might be the only name I can think of that fits the above criteria... I think that whenever we're talking about prospects both sides tend to dig in and represent thier color's... Comparing Lavarnway and Montero is an exercise in futility in that aisde from the position the play, both share a simlar profile, solid bats with questionable tools behind the plate and the level in which thier currently competing. What one does, has no bering on the other... Who's the better prospect? Well that's easy if we use the litteral meaning of the word prospect, based on every preseason ranking i've read, it ain't even close, it's Montero...Who'll be the better ML player...that's still to be determined! Lavarnway's based on age (24) his time is now to show that he's ready to compete at the next level...Montero, still just 21, in his second season of AAA, has two more seasons to continue his development, before his career light starts to blink... End of the day is if both hit at the big league level as they have in AAA, they'll both have solid big league careers...and in all likilhood, playing for a team other than the one they got drafted by...

There is no question that Montero could be a monster hitter. Tons of power yet to be untapped. I think he will be a great hitter but will he be a better player than Lavarnway overall? Maybe so, maybe not so. This debate is going to continue. Fisk/Munson, Veritek/Posada...it continues on and on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I used to hate Thurman Munson as a kid. The guy was always getting in the way! One tough, great player!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : There is no question that Montero could be a monster hitter. Tons of power yet to be untapped. I think he will be a great hitter but will he be a better player than Lavarnway overall? Maybe so, maybe not so. This debate is going to continue. Fisk/Munson, Veritek/Posada...it continues on and on.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

Hey boomer,
    I agree...Who's the better AAA catcher today...Lavarnway. I just don't get all that excited about comparing minor leaguers...Now after a few years in the big's I have no problem debating the merits of who's better and why...

In the case of Fisk v Munson, It's too close to call. Cleary Posada was the better hitter, Varitek was and is still the better catcher...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I didn't mean to knock him Zac. He's still a great prospect for sure. My point was that I'd had several discussions about Montero as being SO MUCH BETTER THAN LAVARNWAY THAT IT WASN'T EVEN WORTH DISCUSSING. Many Yankee fans have been raving about Montero and not giving Lavarnway the time of day.

I got it boomer

nuff said

I had no issues with you posting the obvious

lav had a much better yr

I just thought the   '' not making the team '' was unfair

like BT

I 'm usually the last guy to get involved in prospect / rookie debates

I was so wrong about jeter  nomar ;-)

besides we both know montero is the next mike piazza

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx3. Show mikeyinthebronx3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Hey Zac, I agree...how old is Hughes now? cause he might be the only name I can think of that fits the above criteria... I think that whenever we're talking about prospects both sides tend to dig in and represent thier color's... Comparing Lavarnway and Montero is an exercise in futility in that aisde from the position the play, both share a simlar profile, solid bats with questionable tools behind the plate and the level in which thier currently competing. What one does, has no bering on the other... Who's the better prospect? Well that's easy if we use the litteral meaning of the word prospect, based on every preseason ranking i've read, it ain't even close, it's Montero...Who'll be the better ML player...that's still to be determined! Lavarnway's based on age (24) his time is now to show that he's ready to compete at the next level...Montero, still just 21, in his second season of AAA, has two more seasons to continue his development, before his career light starts to blink... End of the day is if both hit at the big league level as they have in AAA, they'll both have solid big league careers...and in all likilhood, playing for a team other than the one they got drafted by...

Tell this to SPC because he starts threads saying otherwise. Lavarnway may be a damn good player but there are reasons why scouts have given Montero a higher ceiling. Bottom line though they have to play to prove their worther. Montero is still al little bit raw as he is only 21.....only time will tell what hapenns.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Tell this to SPC because he starts threads saying otherwise. Lavarnway may be a damn good player but there are reasons why scouts have given Montero a higher ceiling. Bottom line though they have to play to prove their worther. Montero is still al little bit raw as he is only 21.....only time will tell what hapenns.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx3[/QUOTE]

Didn't I predict this last night. You got booted as Mikeyinthebronx2. You can take the Babe out of your moniker but you can't remove the Babe from your keyboard. Try to keep it more civil and adult today.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Tell this to SPC because he starts threads saying otherwise. Lavarnway may be a damn good player but there are reasons why scouts have given Montero a higher ceiling. Bottom line though they have to play to prove their worther. Montero is still al little bit raw as he is only 21.....only time will tell what hapenns.

I'll leave that to you and those that like to evaluate prospect to wrangle over.

End of the day, if Montero was a Sox prospect he'd be held in high regard by the majority on this site...a no brainer...the greatest single differnce between the two is age...

Montero at 21 is competing above his age appropriate level and has for the last 4 years...most of the top tier 21 year olds are playing AA...

Lavarnway is competing at his age appropriate level and like Montero has hit at every level, but has never played above his age slot...which is one of the reason I have pause gettin too worked up over Lavarnway and why it's ok to still be excited about Montero...as a prospect, no more no less...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx3. Show mikeyinthebronx3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : I'll leave that to you and those that like to evaluate prospect to wrangle over. End of the day, if Montero was a Sox prospect he'd be held in high regard by the majority on this site...a no brainer...the greatest single differnce between the two is age... Montero at 21 is competing above his age appropriate level and has for the last 4 years...most of the top tier 21 year olds are playing AA... Lavarnway is competing at his age appropriate level and like Montero has hit at every level, but has never played above his age slot...which is one of the reason I have pause gettin too worked up over Lavarnway and why it's ok to still be excited about Montero...as a prospect, no more no less...

I agree with you entirely....good post.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx3. Show mikeyinthebronx3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Didn't I predict this last night. You got booted as Mikeyinthebronx2. You can take the Babe out of your moniker but you can't remove the Babe from your keyboard. Try to keep it more civil and adult today.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

Pike you're telling me to be more civil today?  You realize the only reason you don't get booted from the forum is because you're a Sox fan....otherwise there is no difference between how you post and how I do. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Ryan Projects as P/T C and full time DH...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Moon: 5 sisters?! Any brothers?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from <).TheBabe.(>. Show <).TheBabe.(>'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Pike you're telling me to be more civil today?  You realize the only reason you don't get booted from the forum is because you're a Sox fan....otherwise there is no difference between how you post and how I do. 

Bingo!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The guy is batting .333 against the worst team in the league and people are ready to elect him to the HOF.

Let's see how he does this week against big league pitching.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

[QUOTE]The guy is batting .333 against the worst team in the league and people are ready to elect him to the HOF. Let's see how he does this week against big league pitching.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Fair enought...Texas and NY will be a test...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from habsno17. Show habsno17's posts

[QUOTE]The guy is batting .333 against the worst team in the league and people are ready to elect him to the HOF. Let's see how he does this week against big league pitching.

Hyperbole much?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Folks, Ryan Lavarnway is the real deal and is Major League-ready : Pike you're telling me to be more civil today?  You realize the only reason you don't get booted from the forum is because you're a Sox fan....otherwise there is no difference between how you post and how I do. 

No-life Mikey, if you believe there is no difference between how you post and Sox fans post, then you are still under the mistaken impression that this is a dual board. It's amazing how many Yankee fans can't/refuse to understand that.

As I said when you first came back here pretending to be the "good guy", you are, and always have been, a tandem act with Babe. Nice to see you living up to my expectations.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

He got booted last night when his "Bad COP" charade got out of hand. Babe came in this morning using a brand new moniker and his third post was his last. LOL. So funny. I almost spit out my coffee when I saw that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

He's even better than Daniel Nava!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]He got booted last night when his "Bad COP" charade got out of hand. Babe came in this morning using a brand new moniker and his third post was his last. LOL. So funny. I almost spit out my coffee when I saw that.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

They all proclaim to be neutral fans just here to talk baseball. lol If that were true, they wouldn't be policing the board. Steven even came in supporting Babe and Mikey hammering the Sox because Smiley and others have talked about the Yankees. Zac does the same. When the chips are down they are all one merry band, and they are supportive of the drama they cause here because they believe it's deserved.

Not one of them is dumb enough to not understand this is a Sox forum. They just refuse to understand it because it's goes against their agenda here.