Food near Fenway? (My first trip.)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Food near Fenway? (My first trip.)

Been in Providence / Pawtucket going on 19 years and tomorrow will be my first game at Fenway.

I'm told there's not much food value inside Fenway (no surprise), so that leaves something like picking up a sausage on Yawkey way or trying a nearby sports pub.

Cask 'n Flagon is a bit of a legend. I know one Sox fan that loves going there, but the verdict is far from unanimous:

http://tinyurl.com/q3hsm6a

So if anyone here would like to voice an opinion about where to get a meal before a game, I'd love to hear about it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Food near Fenway? (My first trip.)

If you are driving I assume you are, park at the Prudential it is cheaper and walk over to Fenway about 15 min..

However to have lunch you need to get there by 11:30 and go to Legal Seafoods in the Pru.

The issue is if you eat before you probably won't want one of the GREAT sausages and onions and peppers. Which you really should do.

I'd do the sausage, beer, and what ever else at the park then hit Legal after the game.

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

uBurger outside the park, + sausage + beer during the game + 5 guys on way home

I am XXL type of guy  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

If you are driving I assume you are, park at the Prudential it is cheaper and walk over to Fenway about 15 min..

I think the plan is to go to the Needham line / Hershey station stop, transferring to the orange line -> red line -> green line (ugh!) to Fenway.

I'm not driving, but if you have driving directions for what you suggest I'll pass them along.

[QUOTE]The issue is if you eat before you probably won't want one of the GREAT sausages and onions and peppers. Which you really should do.[/QUOTE]

http://www.yelp.com/list/food-stands-around-fenway-park-boston

(one guy's opinions)

So which of these guys should we try? You supposedly get a lot more for your money if you buy before going in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]If you are driving I assume you are, park at the Prudential it is cheaper and walk over to Fenway about 15 min..

I think the plan is to go to the Needham line / Hershey station stop, transferring to the orange line -> red line -> green line (ugh!) to Fenway.

I'm not driving, but if you have driving directions for what you suggest I'll pass them along.

[QUOTE]The issue is if you eat before you probably won't want one of the GREAT sausages and onions and peppers. Which you really should do.[/QUOTE]

http://www.yelp.com/list/food-stands-around-fenway-park-boston

(one guy's opinions)

So which of these guys should we try? You supposedly get a lot more for your money if you buy before going in.

[/QUOTE]

DRIVING JUST GPS OR GOOGLE MAPS. DOING ALL THE T STUFF IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT A DIRECT LINE YES BUT 3 TRANSFERS UGH!!!!!!! BTW BY THE TIME YOU WALK BACK TO THE CAR ALL TRAFFIC IS GONE.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Sausage King on Landsdown Street (can't miss him wearing the crown) 9$ for a huge grinder and a drink. Beer works, across the street from Fenway, on Brookline, is good if you want to food and a beer. As far as parking, there is a lot at BU, 15$, a 5 minute walk to Fenway. Easy access on and off the Mass Pike

You may glory in a team triumphant......
    But you fall in love with a team in defeat

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Been in Providence / Pawtucket going on 19 years and tomorrow will be my first game at Fenway.

I'm told there's not much food value inside Fenway (no surprise), so that leaves something like picking up a sausage on Yawkey way or trying a nearby sports pub.

Cask 'n Flagon is a bit of a legend. I know one Sox fan that loves going there, but the verdict is far from unanimous:

http://tinyurl.com/q3hsm6a

So if anyone here would like to voice an opinion about where to get a meal before a game, I'd love to hear about it!

Best of luck, it is the best venue in America.

And I think you've already answered your own question.  I've been to the Cask & Flagon maybe 2-3 times (I'm from NY), and always enjoyed it.  The ambiance can't be beat.  And it is tough to beat the sausage and peppers outside Fenway.  There are ways to spend more money, but in my limited experience, why would I want to?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

IMO the places right around Fenway can be shaken up in a hat and you couldn't tell one from the other.  I've tried Boston Beer Works and The Cask and Flagon and liked them both.  My personal favorite is the open-air one directly across Lansdowne Street from the C & F - sorry I can't think of the name of it but you can't miss it. 

Note:  The nachos there are great, and if you're there on a game day but don't have tickets you can eat and drink while the game is going on.  You can plainly hear the crowd cheer when something good happens and due to the delay in broadcasting, you can see that play 8-10 seconds later on the big screens there. The place is usually packed and you can get a great atmosphere without paying a big price. 

But by all means, DO NOT go inside the park and expect to get a sausage comparable to the ones you can get outside.  The food is better outside and the beers are bigger and cheaper. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

You just can't go to Fenway without grabbing the sausage, oninons and peppers before going in.  I made the mistake and bought 2.  Couldn't eat them both.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to S5's comment:

My personal favorite is the open-air one directly across Lansdowne Street from the C & F - sorry I can't think of the name of it but you can't miss it.

Could that be "Game On!" ?? Looking at Google maps and it seems to have a lot of open air seating ...

So maybe have your nachos and beer there, do your Sausage King shopping and carry that inside for the game?

I'm sure "Game On!" (whoever) wouldn't appreciate you eating someone else's sausage at their table, otherwise that'd be appealing ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Sausage King on Landsdown Street (can't miss him wearing the crown) 9$ for a huge grinder and a drink.

So I've read that his stand is somewhere near Gate E Lansdowne street. I'm guessing that it's standing room only on Lansdowne street, and I'm trying to picture how you eat your sausage / steak tips and hold your drink at the same time ...

Seen google image pictures and I'm guessing that none of the game-day street vendors can sell beer ...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Sausage King on Landsdown Street (can't miss him wearing the crown) 9$ for a huge grinder and a drink.

So I've read that his stand is somewhere near Gate E Lansdowne street. I'm guessing that it's standing room only on Lansdowne street, and I'm trying to picture how you eat your sausage / steak tips and hold your drink at the same time ...

Seen google image pictures and I'm guessing that none of the game-day street vendors can sell beer ...

Hey, nobody said life was easy!

My gut won't take a serving of Game On's nachos, a couple of beers, AND a sausage!  As in life, there are choices to be made.  :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

You can buy beer on Yawkey Way, across the street from the souvenir store. Not sure about the vendors. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

You can buy beer on Yawkey Way, across the street from the souvenir store. Not sure about the vendors. 

[/QUOTE]

You're right!  Now that they're blocking off Yawkey Way it's considered a part of the park.  I was mistakenly confining myself to Lansdowne St. AND you can carry your sausage and beer to the area beneath the OF bleachers where there are tables.

Is one sausage off the street REALLY better than another?  Or is it just the atmosphere?  Meh.  I'm not sure.  It sounds like more reasearch is necessary. :) 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Menu for Bleacher Bar Housemade Soups

Chicken Noodle

• $4.00

Tomato 

• $4.00

Salads

Mixed Green Salad 

• $6.00

Classic Caesar Salad   $7.00 Grilled Chicken $3.00 House Roast Turkey B… $3.00 Chicken Salad $3.00 Tuna Salad $3.00 Egg Salad $2.00 Sandwiches - Hot

Beef Breakfast

• $10.00

Grilled Cheese

w/ irish bacon & cheddar

• $10.00

Burger    $6.00 Add Cheese $1.00 The Steve Coyle

classic pastrami

• $10.00

Mortadella & Provolone

on french bread

• $10.00

The Larry Lucchino