Forget Iglesias, He Can't Hit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Forget Iglesias, He Can't Hit

I know it's only 33 MLB at bats, but he's had enough at the minor league level where this guy will not hit major league pitching. I've seen the comparisons to Mark Belanger, but Belanger his .220 and above. This guy is the worst hitter I have seen since I started watching baseball in 1967.

The good thing is the Red Sox have been able to evaluate him down the stretch and should have a good idea of where he stands for next year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Forget Iglesias, He Can't Hit

agree 1 million percent. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

You could be right, but I think it's too early to tell.  Lavarnway is three years older and billed as a very good hitter, and he hasn't hit much either, still well under the mendoza line.  In today's Globe Peter Abraham writes the Sox believe Lavarnway can and will hit MLB pitching. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

His hands are magic. He hit in the minors, 350 Lowell, 285 in Portland, 266 in Paw..the skill set is there, he isn't going to lose it...he just needs to get the mental part of the game going. Bobby V didn't help that.  He's adjusted at every level even though he was rushed thru the system. I really don't even care if he hits, watching him field is fun.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He has been brutal at the plate but I still think he should play every gm the rest of the way. Nothing to lose so let him play and see if his hitting gets any better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to judy2006's comment:
    [QUOTE]

His hands are magic. He hit in the minors, 350 Lowell, 285 in Portland, 266 in Paw..the skill set is there, he isn't going to lose it...he just needs to get the mental part of the game going. Bobby V didn't help that.  He's adjusted at every level even though he was rushed thru the system. I really don't even care if he hits, watching him field is fun.

Slugged .306 with a .624 OPS. A .266 average but without much power isn't worth much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Yeah, it's still too early to pull the plug on Iggy. He's just 22. I have no problem with sending him back for another year in the minors. He's probably never going to have much pop, but if he can be at least somewhat respectable, his glove might be worth it.

Of course, if someone like Bogarts can hit the lights out and be decent defensively, that might be the better option in the long run. But Iggy's glove is good enough to give him every shot. Put him in Triple-A and keep him there every day until September next year -- even if injuries hit -- and see if he can develop more.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from modod. Show modod's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to judy2006's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Slugged .306 with a .624 OPS. A .266 average but without much power isn't worth much.

[/QUOTE]

Does everyone in the lineup have to be a slugger? How many times have innings ended when just a base hit would have produced a score? It remains to be seen whether Iglesias will ever hit ML pitching, but if he can get to .230-.240, that will keep him on the field. He has to learn to keep the ball on the ground.  With his speed good things can happen when he does that. You can't outrun a fly ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

DFA him, right ADG?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'm not ready to throw him to the wolves yet for a couple of reasons. 

First, he may outgrow this and learn how to hit ML pitching. 

Second, let's wait and see what this team looks like next year and look at the potential for '14.

They can get away with a SS hitting .200 with little power, but only if the rest of the batting order can carry him.  That would make the Sox into more of a NL team with Iggy as the "pitcher" in the order.  I can live with that in exchange for his glove, but only if the rest of the order is potent.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Omar Vizquel looked worse offensively at age 22.  I don't care about slugging - on-base percentage is the only thing that should matter for a defensive whiz in the 9-hole, and he's brought that up 35 points from a year ago.  As long as he can get on base 32+ percent of the time, he's not a liability, even if he never has an xtra-base hit all year.

I'd start him next year - 2013 is a craps shoot anyway, and that leaves room for Bogaerts to start at Pawtucket.  If Bogaerts wins the job, let them switch places.  If not, you get a long, high-level look at both at SS.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DFA him, right ADG?

Say what you want Joe, but the guys I wanted DFA'd are below:

DMAC - DFA'd, Punto - Thrown in with the rest of the garbage players.

I guess the Red Sox management thinks like I do. I didn't say to DFA him, I just stated that he is not a major league player. He can't hit. Maybe if they like his glove enough, they can DH for him. Most pitchers can hit better than he can.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yazzer is now WallyisDead. Banned again.

Then just tell me how many balls he has hit out of the infield.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

New scapegoats are BV, Iglesias, Dice-K. Haters need someone to hate.

Actually not, Red Sox fans want a quality team and with BV managing, DiceK pitching, and Iglesias hitting, that's a big lack of quality.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

New scapegoats are BV, Iglesias, Dice-K. Haters need someone to hate.

Actually not, Red Sox fans want a quality team and with BV managing, DiceK pitching, and Iglesias hitting, that's a big lack of quality.

ADG, I don't know what problems you have with some of the other posters on this board, but if this is what you post you will have no problems with me at all.  Iglesias CANNOT hit; h@ll, he is hitting under 100 and unless you have eight other players mashing for us, keeping him in the lineup is a experiment in futility.  As we should all know painfully by now, there are always two or three guys in the lineup who will be having off years.  It always happens to the Red Sox, therefore we cannot carry such a weak bat in the lineup.  As for Dice K, someone put on a slow boat to China, if I can use the old song as an example of what we should do with him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Trade The Bum, I Say........................

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

No way I give up Iglesias until I try a different approach to his hitting mentality.  His glove is just too good to give up on him yet.

Right now he is trying to hit the ball to (and over) the fences.  This guy is NOT likely to ever be a home run or big extra base hit guy.  You can see it in every full swing he takes, and even when he has hit the ball pretty well it is far from any fences.

He needs to be taught to hit the ball back up the middle on the ground or with a line drive and forget doubles, triples and home runs.  He is athletic enough to do this, but it will take a dramatic change from what he is doing right now.  And, he will get some extra base hits with this concept although probably not many HRs.

He also needs to learn how to bunt for a hit as his speed is at least pretty decent if not better than average.  On the Sox, he is probably the third fastest guy right now, and he runs the bases well when he does get on.

If you could hit the ball hard two times a game and five times every two games up the middle he would have at least two base hits in those two games.  If he could learn to bunt for a hit he could get maybe one of them every third game as well.  Sacrificing one time a game is also not a bad thing for a number 9 hitter who has little power.

All that with a better approach to controlling the strike zone and drawing a walk every other game, he will have a .250-.270 average and an OBP of about .360 over the course of the season.  Realize that those numbers will come with little to no power and very few RBIs, but I think that his glove is worth having with those numbers.

He cannot be thought of like most hitters because he is not like most hitters.  He needs a different approach and a different set of goals.  If he is going to be judged by home runs and RBIs he may as well go home to the Dominican right now, but if you can live without home runs and big RBI numbers for this guy he could be a keeper for many years.

Just pull this kid aside and tell him if he wants to be a starting SS in the major leagues that he needs to become like the old time glove men from the 50s and 60s.  Get some singles by hitting the ball (glorified pepper if you will) up the middle, learn to bunt for a hit, bunt to sacrifice and draw a walk every other game, and he will quicly understand it.

This lack of finding a way to make each player a contributing factor has been disappointing for me when concerning the Red Sox coaching staff and manager all year.  Some other examples have been not adjusting Beckett's pre game warmup routine when he was routinely getting ripped apart in the first inning and Saltalmacchia's problems with sliders in the dirt early in the count that have greatly contributed to his many, many strikeouts and his .230 average and only 50 RBIs even though he has 24 home runs this year.  Managing and coaching is about "fixing" things that your players do in order to make them more productive team contributors.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

2012-Iglesias

2011-Reddick

2010-Ellsbury

2009-Buchholz

2007-Pedroia

2006-Youkilis

Just a small sampling of the players that posters have wanted to get rid of over the years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Iglesias is only 22.  Much too soon to say that he will not hit.  He has improved after starting slowly at each level.  We should not give up on him already.