Re: Forget the yankees, how much more are we gonna take from The Rays?
posted at 1/3/2012 8:17 PM EST
In Response to Re: Forget the yankees, how much more are we gonna take from The Rays?
[QUOTE]They did not make a move last summer when they should have, I question their FO's desire to win while they hold many of the cards.
Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
I was surprised as well, especially since they got out of having to pay Manny's deal, they should have had extra money to play with.
They do have some encouraging outlooks on their offense in 2012:
1) 25 year old Longoria missed over 20 games to injury and only hit .244. I gotta think they get more from him in 2012.
2) 24 year old Desmond Jennings will be on the 25 man all season and could easily improve on: .259/.356/.449/.805. Project his 2011 numbers to ~660 PAs:
.259 23 HRs and 45 SBs
Jennings is essentially taking Fuld's slot (.240/.313/.360/.673) and gives them a nice defensive 4th OF'er.
3) Playing Jennings all year in the OF allows Zobrist to play 2B and Sean Rodriguez to play SS. This should improve TB's offense mostly by addition by subtraction:
While .679 looks bad, it's a lot better than the ~.500 OPS of Brignac & Johnson combined.
4) 26 year old Matt Joyce could be coming into his own:
.277/.347/.478/.825 in 522 PAs
5) Replacing Shoppach's 253 PAs at catcher:
With more from...
LH'd hitting Jaso .224/.298/.354/.651 (27 y/o)
(Jaso has a career .720 OPS vs RHPs)
Chirinos (27) & Lobaton (26)
1) Hard to expect an improvement from Kotchman's .800 OPS.
2) Can they do better than Damon's .743 OPS mostly at DH?